Is it neccessary to splurge on a S$980 Medela freestyle breast pump?

blsc78

Hi mummies,
I need to get a breast pump which is good and durable. A lot of reviews say Medela freestyle is the best. The only downside is, S$980 for a breast pump is really very costly. Looking at other alternatives from Medela which only cost a fraction of freestyle. Should I just settle for a cheaper alternatives? Is splurging on really a wise decision? Can it really pump out more milk and more time saving? Does it justified for the cost? Can any mummies whom had tried out both please share some experience with me?

pinkapple

Yes! I'd say.

but then again, any Medela Pump-in-Style is good enough. No needa get the latest Freestyle. but not other Medela hor (e.g. Mini Electric)

Avent's Twin Electronic pump is good too.

double pumps are more efficient and make more sense than single pumps cos when one side of ya breast is "activated", the other will auto activate too.

pumping both sides at the same time causes better letdown too.

if you really want the latest Freestyle, you can save by
1. wait for sale, or
2. buy direct from US.

pinkapple

oh. and it's not a splurge. It's an investment.

when you feel like giving up, you'll tell yourself, "spend so much on the pump liao, better press on!"

Phoebii Cheng

I think $980 for a breast pump is not necessary, just my opinion.......cos' what if after u stop bf? it will lay there unless u can sell it off......or unless u planning for 2nd or 3rd child then considered worth it to buy & use

For myself, I did not buy a breastpump, a friend loanned it to me after which I returned it to her.......

$980, you could buy other things for ur bb or spend it on good PD's for her jabs

PTB7476

i'm thinking whether to get such an expensive as well....
anyway there is going to be another baby fair in oct maybe will check it out and hopefully the price will go down

Phoeii..not everyone has the luxury of borrowing from others hence for those who dun have they have to work out contingency plan :p

swee

According to Thomson Parent Craft, PIS is the best pump.. followed by Swing.. Not sure why..

But IMO, i prefer freestyle coz it will help me to BF longer.. Why?
1. like what pinkapple say.. so ex better BF longer:001_302:
2. Easier to bring to work.. Lighter than PIS
3. Time saving. Duo pump, not like swing which is a single pump

I used to have swing for my elder daughter... Bought single pump coz wanna save $$.. end up cannot take it coz it was too time consuming.. I got myself another swing.. though managed to BF for 6 months.. but carrying 2 swings to work is no joke.. I sold off both after I stop BF and I got myself a freestyle for my 2nd baby..

Other brand may be as good but I believe Medela pumps have higher resale value... Majority who are looking for 2nd hand pump are looking for Medela brand.. So IMO it is a good investment...

hueychye79

Medela free style is too costly for me.

I invest Medela Swing. It worth for me but the disadvantage is a bit noisy.

Use it since Isaac 2 months. And now my boy is 10months plus, the pump still very good.

Phoebii Cheng

i'm thinking whether to get such an expensive as well....
anyway there is going to be another baby fair in oct maybe will check it out and hopefully the price will go down

Phoeii..not everyone has the luxury of borrowing from others hence for those who dont have they have to work out contingency plan :p
Yes I do agree tht not everyone has the luxury of borrowing from others, but still not necessary to buy so ex thts what I meant.....unless of cos you can definitely afford it lah........:tlaugh:

PTB7476

Yes I do agree tht not everyone has the luxury of borrowing from others, but still not necessary to buy so ex thts what I meant.....unless of cos you can definitely afford it ........:tlaugh:
afford is one issue...but are we willing to spend so much esp when that amount we could get alot of others baby related stuff :tlaugh:

Mum2bee

for me i just bought a avent single electric pump....cos is much cheaper....hehe

but for my case is cos i will be a SAHM so i just tell myself
"aiya nvm lah....i slowly pump at home...anyway is my own boobs" then i can spend more $ on buying baby stuff...hehe

but still i tink if u r willing to part with the $...why not... :)

autumn82

I bought the Medela PIS and it was worth the money! :) Only pro is heavy but then I'm a SAHM, so makes no difference for me.. :001_302:

swee

oh.. Need to add.. First few years at paragon are selling freestyle at $699. First few years at kkh selling freestyle for 700++ not sure wat is the difference. They provide 1 yr warranty & adapter though it is a us set.
According to Thomson Parent Craft, PIS is the best pump.. followed by Swing.. Not sure why..

But IMO, i prefer freestyle coz it will help me to BF longer.. Why?
1. like what pinkapple say.. so ex better BF longer:001_302:
2. Easier to bring to work.. Lighter than PIS
3. Time saving. Duo pump, not like swing which is a single pump

I used to have swing for my elder daughter... Bought single pump coz wanna save $$.. end up cannot take it coz it was too time consuming.. I got myself another swing.. though managed to BF for 6 months.. but carrying 2 swings to work is no joke.. I sold off both after I stop BF and I got myself a freestyle for my 2nd baby..

Other brand may be as good but I believe Medela pumps have higher resale value... [you]Majority[/you] who are looking for 2nd hand pump are looking for Medela brand.. So IMO it is a good investment...

pinkapple

I have seen friends who used cheaper pumps (ameda) and end up with sore nipples.
I lend them my PIS then they know what's the diff loh.

I also tried Medela Mini Electric before. super pain and noisy.

so if you get a cheaper pump, end up give you problem, you have to buy another better pump. in the end, you spend even more not to mention having to endure the pain of ya sore nipples/ engorgement/ blocked ducts, etc.

last time I happily lend my pump to my friends...
now that I know that there're risks involved, I kinda regret lending them.
Read this:
LLLI | LV Are Used Breast Pumps a Good Option?
Things to consider before you borrow or buy a 2nd hand pump.

You can share Avent pumps but not Medela.
Read the article to find out more.

pinkapple

oh.. Need to add.. First few years at paragon are selling freestyle at $699. First few years at Kandang Kerbau Hospital selling freestyle for 700++ not sure what is the difference. They provide 1 yr warranty & adapter though it is a us set.
Oh yah! First Few Years is the shop that sells Avent and Medela at the cheapest price in Singapore.
Unless those departmental stores sales can beat their price.

icy_haze

You can purchase it directly from US, heard it's cheaper. That's what my SIL does. She bought hers for only ard 400 plus. Alternatively u can see whether is any mummy in the forum selling theirs. I bought mine from a mummy in this forum for 450. Brand new. Hehe.
Personally I also find the pump very ex, but after much consideration decided to buy it. Below are the reasons y I decided to invest in it.

a. This is my first kid and I still want to have more kids so can keep it for future use
b. I'm a working mum so I need a good pump that pump out milk fast n efficient. Normally it will take me 10mins to pump out between 180ml to 200ml of milk.

I have been using it for 7mths and I find that it is a good investment.=)

stonston

Did you know... If you buy a $800 pump & use it for at least 6mths, you already "break even" from no need to buy formula milk?

moonity

I was like you previously thinking that it is a spurge to spend 900 bucks on a pump After I decided to buy it, used it for 6 mths, I only recommend Freestyle to all my friends who are breastfeeding

If you think it is really too expensive, you can get a 2nd hand one which is half the price, replace all the spare parts in contact with the milk and use it,

I have stopped breastfeeding and am selling mine, let me know if you are keen to buy a 2nd hand one :Dancing_wub:

PTB7476

Did you know... If you buy a $800 pump & use it for at least 6mths, you already "break even" from no need to buy formula milk?
that is on the assumption the mom has that much of milk...what if buy already but the mom dun have that much to breakfast then it will become white elephant :embarrassed:

that is the reason why i kept kiv the decision, i know alot of forumer encouraged me saying that will have but i have a friend who just gave birth seem like she dun generate much and they have mixed FM and have to find stuff to eat hoping to generate more milk... and that thought scares me ...what happen i bought this and i dun have much for the little :(