Is Tupperware really Expensive?

CarolOng

Dear All,

Will like to gather some frank answer to the question above?

I used to feel that too, but recently i changed my mind towards it.

As i compare to the common market container, eg. lock & lock, tupperware is more worth it with their lifetime warranty.

No worries that i'll "force" u to buy tupperware after you posted yr comment. I jus wanna wanna gather some feedback.

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,
Carol

lis

hey.. i will help u answer.. i think it's expensive..

but so far, have not buy one for myself at ol.. maybe when got more money, then try to invest on one. =)

CarolOng

hey.. i will help you answer.. i think it's expensive..

but so far, have not buy one for myself at ol.. maybe when got more money, then try to invest on one. =)
Hi Lis,

Thanks for yr reply!

May i know how much will you pay for a water tumbler or a sandwich box?

If a set of 4 water tumbler costs $7.85 each & comes with lifetime warranty ok? leak-proof! don't have to wait for it to tear, once it leaks, u can do a 1 for 1 exchange.

Or a set of 4 sandwich box at $9.30 each?

diymummy

I think for me, if a plastic container comes with life time warranty, whether it is BPA free would matter more to me compared to how long the container actually lasts. =/

lis

Hi Lis,

Thanks for yr reply!

May i know how much will you pay for a water tumbler or a sandwich box?

If a set of 4 water tumbler costs $7.85 each & comes with lifetime warranty ok? leak-proof! dont't have to wait for it to tear, once it leaks, you can do a 1 for 1 exchange.

Or a set of 4 sandwich box at $9.30 each?

u mean the water tumbler cost $7.85/each or $7.85/set of 4..??

CarolOng

I think for me, if a plastic container comes with life time warranty, whether it is BPA free would matter more to me compared to how long the container actually lasts. =/
Hi diymummy,

Thanks for yr reply!

I've a coll. with the same concern as you too. As a mum, i too thought about it.

Sad to say, Tupperware is not BPA free. The below is taken from Tupperware website: Tupperware Brands - Simply Good Living Solutions

Q: What is Bisphenol-A?
A: Bisphenol A (BPA) is a key industrial chemical used to make polycarbonate,
a raw material found in hundreds of plastic household goods and other products.
Recent media reports have raised questions about its safety,
though bisphenol-A has been deemed safe for consumer use by the US. Food and Drug Administration
and other regulatory agencies around the world.

But then again, which brand of plastic container is guaranteed to be BPA free. Does it mean that you won't buy any plastic container?

No hard-feelings! =)

Last edited:

CarolOng

you mean the water tumbler cost $7.85/each or $7.85/set of 4..??
Hi Liz,

I mean $7.85/tumbler. But it comes in a set of 4.
So total is $31.40.

I've a set which i shared with my hubby & 2 sisters. =) Gave it as a gifts for my sisters. So u see, it's not wasted! it makes ppl happy & it's def. not cheapo to give tupperware as a gift.

=) this is my own personal opinon.

diymummy

Hi diymummy,

Thanks for yr reply!

I've a coll. with the same concern as you too. As a mum, i too thought about it.

Sad to say, Tupperware is not BPA free. The below is taken from Tupperware website: Tupperware Brands - Simply Good Living Solutions

Q: What is Bisphenol-A?
A: Bisphenol A (BPA) is a key industrial chemical used to make polycarbonate,
a raw material found in hundreds of plastic household goods and other products.
Recent media reports have raised questions about its safety,
though bisphenol-A has been deemed safe for consumer use by the US. Food and Drug Administration
and other regulatory agencies around the world.

But then again, which brand of plastic container is guaranteed to be BPA free. Does it mean that you won't buy any plastic container?

No hard-feelings! =)
No it doesn't mean I won't buy a plastic container. It just means I won't spend so much on one. Use and after a few times, throw and buy a new one if I need to use it for containing hot substances.

lis

Hi Liz,

I mean $7.85/tumbler. But it comes in a set of 4.
So total is $31.40.

I've a set which i shared with my hubby & 2 sisters. =) Gave it as a gifts for my sisters. So you see, it's not wasted! it makes ppl happy & it's def. not cheapo to give tupperware as a gift.

=) this is my own personal opinon.

oouh.. okok.. how many litre is that..?? if more than a litre.. i think should be ok bahh..

serious the tumbler won't leak or easily opened..?? :shyxxx:

CarolOng

No it doesn't mean I won't buy a plastic container. It just means I won't spend so much on one. Use and after a few times, throw and buy a new one if I need to use it for containing hot substances.
Understand your point of view!

Actually some tupperware container are really afforable. Although there are some that really are expensive.

For hot stuff, maybe it's gd to change freq but for other stuff, it'll mean that more cost is involve. then i'll rather invest on something that i can do a 1-for-1 exchange once it's worn out.

Then again, it's my humble opinion.

It doesn't neccessary means that it mus tear then u can exchange. whatever is suppose to be air-tight is considered spoilt once it doesn't keep yr items fresh anymore.

:Dancing_tongue:

diymummy

Understand your point of view!

Actually some tupperware container are really afforable. Although there are some that really are expensive.

For hot stuff, maybe it's good to change freq but for other stuff, it'll mean that more cost is involve. then i'll rather invest on something that i can do a 1-for-1 exchange once it's worn out.

Then again, it's my humble opinion.

It doesn't neccessary means that it mus tear then you can exchange. whatever is suppose to be air-tight is considered spoilt once it doesn't keep yr items fresh anymore.

:Dancing_tongue:
No worries. We're all just sharing point of views.

CarolOng

oouh.. okok.. how many litre is that..?? if more than a litre.. i think should be ok bahh..

serious the tumbler won't leak or easily opened..?? :shyxxx:
each tumbler is 470ml each.

tumbler is suppose to be leak proof. if it really leaks & open (not bcos u didn't close properly), the warranty will kick in & u can do a 1-for-1 exchange. =)

stonston

My experience for 1-to-1 exchange for Tupperware products have been terrible.

Lifetime warranty?
My mum invested in many tupperware containers since she got married.
I counted, she has a total of 57 Tupperware containers.

However, over the past 10 years, we've thrown away many of them.
Why?

1. When we first got an agent to change, she took the faulty ones 'to check with HQ to get suitable replacements since the model is no longer sold'. Then, they never came back. So we were left with some containers without lids and some containers totally gone.

2. We found another agent from another motherhood forum. She was very nice. She brought back the faulty lids and SMSed me to keep me updated. BUT, at the end, they said that they did not have that model anymore. Ask us to 'trade in' the old container and lid to new model of similar size. We still have to PAY for the new one, though it's at discounted price.

Now, we simply buy lock and lock. I bought my first Lock and Lock in end 2005. It is still with me and working very well & look brand new. No funny smell or sticky residue on the plastic like Tupperware. Compare it with the Tupperware container that was given to me during my housewarming in April 2009 (we used them equally often as they are of different size), the Tupperware container is already starting to show signs of wear and tear (the lid is starting to crack).

Given the fact that plastics will disintegrate after some years of usage, I won't invest in a plastic product that comes with lifetime warranty. Like DIYmummy, I rather change it often.

stonston

Forgot to add, not all Tupperware containers are airtight also. My son's cereal all became soggy after 1 week of storage in Tupperware container.

But Lock & Lock is definitely airtight. Now I only use Lock & Lock for my son's food. Keep the Tupperware to keep non-food items.

Gumi

I'm using tupperware products now cos of the advantages of its long term warranty against wear and tear (but of cos, the staff there will examine the cause of the faults before the free replacement). And if they do not have the same model, they will replace with a similar one about the same value, if I'm not wrong.

I'm currently using their Freezermate which I always store dear son's fish and chicken meat cos it was designed to be kept in the freezer compartment. I have different diffferent sizes which I find it convenient even for some little items that I want to thaw it overnight inside the fridge. They are not cheap though, and normally i will buy them when they are having promotion. Some of the products are worth buying during their promotion period.

I'm not working for Tupperware ... but would like to share with mummies some advantages of this product.

CarolOng

Forgot to add, not all Tupperware containers are airtight also. My son's cereal all became soggy after 1 week of storage in Tupperware container.

But Lock & Lock is definitely airtight. Now I only use Lock & Lock for my son's food. Keep the Tupperware to keep non-food items.
Hi stonston,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not surprised to hear abt yr experience. My mum was a big fan of tupperware too. As what Gumi has mentioned, staff will examine the cause of the faults before the free replacement). And if they do not have the same model, they will replace with a similar one about the same value or they'll quote a value for yr item & u can use it to purchase new item.

The reason of the warranty is to ensure that items do not spoilt after a few mths or years of usage.

It's the same as buying & throwing other brands of containers. I personally think it's ok to top-up & get new items after some time. it's like buying another item.

Good to know that u've gd experience with lock n lock as mine was no longer air-tight after a year of opening & closing everyday. (use to store my dog's kibbles)

And yes, not all tupperware containers are air-tight. They hv diff. containers for diff. purposes. Some air-tight for storing at room temp, some air-tight for fridges. As those for room temp. the plastic are much thicker & thus if yr items need to be air-tight & cold at the same place, it doesn't work! the container won't be cold.

again, there're those for liquid which is suppose to be leak-proof & doesn't neccessarily needs to be air-tight.

And many more other purposes. Hope i clear yr doubt & sorry if i "sounded" confusing as my dictionary veri limited =p

stonston

The thing is, they did not even get back to us about it the first time and the 2nd time, they said it is wear and tear but they do not have the same model, ask us to 'top up' for the new containers.

Lifetime warranty means 1-to-1 exchange, no need for top up. That's why we are very angry with Tupperware. And they took very long to get back to us, almost a month.

For the price, I would say it's not worth it. The hassle of 'exchanging' the faulty product is one big nightmare I would rather not have.

Also, I hate the hardselling that many agents are doing. Calling me up non-stop, bombing my emails, etc etc. Worse, making friends on forums, inviting us to 'gathering' but end up it's a Tupperware party and they used pressure to ask us to buy their products. And when we don't, they go on forum to say that we are losers, very poor/can't even afford Tupperware, stingy and not supportive of them.

If your intend is to sell on the forum, then just stick to advertising on the business thread and those who are interested will definitely find you.

CarolOng

The thing is, they did not even get back to us about it the first time and the 2nd time, they said it is wear and tear but they do not have the same model, ask us to 'top up' for the new containers.

Lifetime warranty means 1-to-1 exchange, no need for top up. That's why we are very angry with Tupperware. And they took very long to get back to us, almost a month.

For the price, I would say it's not worth it. The hassle of 'exchanging' the faulty product is one big nightmare I would rather not have.

Also, I hate the hardselling that many agents are doing. Calling me up non-stop, bombing my emails, etc etc. Worse, making friends on forums, inviting us to 'gathering' but end up it's a Tupperware party and they used pressure to ask us to buy their products. And when we dont't, they go on forum to say that we are losers, very poor/can't even afford Tupperware, stingy and not supportive of them.

If your intend is to sell on the forum, then just stick to advertising on the business thread and those who are interested will definitely find you.
Hi stonston,

I'm indeed selling but not on this thread. This thread was created for me to find out how ppl think abt tupperware.

Neither do or will i intend to hardsell here. =)

Sorry to remind you of your bad experiences!

sandyteo

I do feel Tupperware is more expensive but they are durable and really airtight (for the airtight models).

Having said that, I bought my 1st Lock and Lock a few years back since Tupperware is not available in the stores and now some of them are not that airtight anymore. The blue rubber seal around the cover somehow breaks and they are not cheap either these days either.

Other brands like Rubbermaid also do not match up.

For me, Tupperware still performs better but I wish their bigger sizes can be more affordable.

CarolOng

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for yr reply.

I agree tat some of their containers are on the expensive side.

Me was aiming for some products too but will wait for promotion. They hv diff. Promo gg on every 1.5mth. :)

It's def. Worth it to buy during promo price. :)