IVF/ICSI/IUI general support and Discussion groups 2010

bibiongz

Hi Celica,
Thanks :) IVF does have a higher chance of twins, estimated about a 20% chance. In Singapore now, the rule is that we can only transfer a maximum of 2 embryos so the chance of multiples are really not that high :) There are very rare cases that IVF will result in triplets with 2 embryos transferred as 1 of the embryos split into 2. But don't worry abt that, very very unlikely.

bibiongz

Hi Angelaang,

Did your dr share with you about what IVF involves? IVF is basically a 2-mth process. B4 anything is done, my dr gave me 21-day supply of birth control pills, reason is to rest the ovaries then kick start the cycle. Once period starts after stopping the pills, I saw my dr for a scan to check all is ok inside and start the injections (drug name is gonal F, the price depends on the dosage you need)

B4 I started the my IVF, the thing that scares me the most was jabbing myself, lol. I thought I couldn't do it but after the demo by the nurses, it really was quite easy as the needles are really very thin and area where we jab ourselves was the least painful area (area surrounding the belly button). Depending on our ovaries and response, typically we will need 11-14 days worth of jabs and during this period probably see the dr every 2-4 days for a scan to check eggs' development.

Once the eggs has grown to the desired size (at least 17mm and above), my dr scheduled me for a final jab to make mature the eggs and retrieval will be scheduled with 36 hours.

You will be sedated during egg retrieval so you won't feel anything. Usually there may be slight cramps similar to menstrual cramps and may spot a little, so for the rest of the day you need to rest, everything should be fine the next day. For me, I was more affected by the effect of sedation (was giddy and nauseous for half a day, lol). I hardly have any cramps after retrieval and did not spot at all. I found out that the more experience and doctors with very good skills can get the retrieval very quickly and therefore causing very little trauma :) I credit my dr for a pain-free experience :)

I think it is now mandatory for the husband to observe the procedure as well, MOH ruling. Depending on the IVF centre, sperm must either be produced in the centre itself or can produce at home then bring to centre within 1 hour.

A day after the retrieval, lab called and inform me on the fertilization of the eggs by the sperms such as how many are fertilized etc. Embryos transfer was scheduled abt 5 days after the retrieval. On the day of transfer you will know exactly how many embryos you have and the quality as well. 2 will be transferred into uterus and the rest frozen (if any).

In terms of costs, you will need to pay more if additional steps are necessary to increase the chase of fertilization in the lab (procedure names are ICSI - injecting an individual sperm into an egg, assisted hatching - helping the fertilized eggs to 'hatch'). The embryologist will decide. All these should and will be discussed during b4 you start IVF :)

Then its up to nature, the dreaded 2ww. A hcg bloodtest will be scheduled abt 12-14 days after the transfer.

Hope the above helps :) feel free to let me know if you need more info!

bibiongz

Hi Celica,

I'm glad to be of help :) If you do look for Dr L.C Cheng, be sure to ask him any questions you want, he will answer everything :)

serene78

Hi all,

It's been a long time before I come by this forum again... Anyone in the 2WW now? I'm on my 2nd fresh IVF cycle from KKH, Dr Matthew Lau. Feeling bored at home... and getting paranoid about getting symptoms or not getting symptoms... 2WW is really.... sigh....

Angelaang

Hi bibiongz,

Thanks for sharing. I feel so released after hearing from you. Btw, my dr did not gave me any injection or pills before my cycle start. The nurse told me to call in KK on the first day of my cycle and third day will see the doc. I was told to jab myself and this is what i really afraid of. I have planned to go to either GP or back to KK for injection.

I will start the IVF this month and i think my period will be coming on 9th Sept so in this case still need to take 2 months process.

Hi Angelaang,

Did your dr share with you about what IVF involves? IVF is basically a 2-month process. before anything is done, my dr gave me 21-day supply of birth control pills, reason is to rest the ovaries then kick start the cycle. Once period starts after stopping the pills, I saw my dr for a scan to check all is ok inside and start the injections (drug name is gonal F, the price depends on the dosage you need)

before I started the my IVF, the thing that scares me the most was jabbing myself, lol. I thought I couldn't do it but after the demo by the nurses, it really was quite easy as the needles are really very thin and area where we jab ourselves was the least painful area (area surrounding the belly button). Depending on our ovaries and response, typically we will need 11-14 days worth of jabs and during this period probably see the dr every 2-4 days for a scan to check eggs' development.

Once the eggs has grown to the desired size (at least 17mm and above), my dr scheduled me for a final jab to make mature the eggs and retrieval will be scheduled with 36 hours.

You will be sedated during egg retrieval so you won't feel anything. Usually there may be slight cramps similar to menstrual cramps and may spot a little, so for the rest of the day you need to rest, everything should be fine the next day. For me, I was more affected by the effect of sedation (was giddy and nauseous for half a day, lol). I hardly have any cramps after retrieval and did not spot at all. I found out that the more experience and doctors with very good skills can get the retrieval very quickly and therefore causing very little trauma :) I credit my dr for a pain-free experience :)

I think it is now mandatory for the husband to observe the procedure as well, MOH ruling. Depending on the IVF centre, sperm must either be produced in the centre itself or can produce at home then bring to centre within 1 hour.

A day after the retrieval, lab called and inform me on the fertilization of the eggs by the sperms such as how many are fertilized etc. Embryos transfer was scheduled about 5 days after the retrieval. On the day of transfer you will know exactly how many embryos you have and the quality as well. 2 will be transferred into uterus and the rest frozen (if any).

In terms of costs, you will need to pay more if additional steps are necessary to increase the chase of fertilization in the lab (procedure names are ICSI - injecting an individual sperm into an egg, assisted hatching - helping the fertilized eggs to 'hatch'). The embryologist will decide. All these should and will be discussed during before you start IVF :)

Then its up to nature, the dreaded 2ww. A hcg bloodtest will be scheduled about 12-14 days after the transfer.

Hope the above helps :) feel free to let me know if you need more info!

Angelaang

Hi Katherine,

Yes, you are right. I'm very amazed that i have so much courages to jab myself and today is my 9th day of jabbing. Thanks for your encouragement. I feel more release & less worry on the process.

Hope everything go smoothly.

Hi Angela,

dont't worry about the jabbing. It looks scary but you be amazed by how much courage you will have :) good luck!

maddie

Hi Angelaang,

Your IVF process is very informative! I also did 1 IVF and 2 FETs (Frozen Embryo Transfer) a while back. However, all came out negative and very sad. The embryos did not implant at all!!! Very disappointed. The entire process was very smooth. Its only until the implantation stage that makes me in despair. Then I don't want to continue already. Indeed the 2WW is really terrible. Until now nothing happens also. LOL!!!

Hi bibiongz,

Thanks for sharing. I feel so released after hearing from you. Btw, my dr did not gave me any injection or pills before my cycle start. The nurse told me to call in KK on the first day of my cycle and third day will see the doc. I was told to jab myself and this is what i really afraid of. I have planned to go to either GP or back to KK for injection.

I will start the IVF this month and i think my period will be coming on 9th Sept so in this case still need to take 2 months process.

Angelaang

Hi Maddie,

Do not feel disappointed as this is life and we (women) have to go thru this stage. As for me, I more stressful when facing my in law as my hubby is the only son. Althought they did not push or chase me for kids but they will keep saying others children are so cute..... that y i feel the stress. I have told myself, if this time round not successful at least i have tried my very best and i believed my in law can feel it. dont feel despair.... we shall try till it success (DO NOT GIVE UP)

All the best to you!!!

Hi Angelaang,

Your IVF process is very informative! I also did 1 IVF and 2 FETs (Frozen Embryo Transfer) a while back. However, all came out negative and very sad. The embryos did not implant at all!!! Very disappointed. The entire process was very smooth. Its only until the implantation stage that makes me in despair. Then I dont't want to continue already. Indeed the 2WW is really terrible. Until now nothing happens also. LOL!!!

Heather

Hello All, I posted this question in another thread.. I m under going my first cycle of ivf(after 2 failed SO-IUI).. My egg collection is scheduled on Tuesday , doc asked me to come for a pregnyl shot on Sunday .. I thought pregnyl was to trigger ovulation, if it triggers ovulation , how can eggs be collected on Tuesday ? I am tensed what if this jab results in ovulation.. Any thoughts, pls advise..
I also read abt OHSS.. What shd i do to after egg collection, to prevent OHSS.. any advice will helpful.. Thank you!

maddie

My hubby also love kids. He says he would like to have children. Just that it wasn't successful everytime we try. I believe it will come in time ba. Just don't wanna think about it anymore. Anyway, whatever ways I've already tried. Money also wasted le. Just don't have a baby. I have tried chinese medicine, IVF, IUI and even acupuncture. Well...Maybe fated not to have a child...

Hi Maddie,

Do not feel disappointed as this is life and we (women) have to go thru this stage. As for me, I more stressful when facing my in law as my hubby is the only son. Althought they did not push or chase me for kids but they will keep saying others children are so cute..... that y i feel the stress. I have told myself, if this time round not successful at least i have tried my very best and i believed my in law can feel it. dont feel despair.... we shall try till it success (DO NOT GIVE UP)

All the best to you!!!

Angelaang

My hubby also love kids. He says he would like to have children. Just that it wasn't successful everytime we try. I believe it will come in time . Just dont't wanna think about it anymore. Anyway, whatever ways I've already tried. Money also wasted . Just dont't have a baby. I have tried chinese medicine, IVF, IUI and even acupuncture. Well...Maybe fated not to have a child...

Hi Maddie,

Do not give up.... Try till success.

FYI, I have done my embryo transfer today and the doc telling me that only 2 out of 22 ovum are ok. After hearing that, I almost break down luckily my hubby given me very strong support & encouragement I feel better. I have told myself if this time round not success, I will sure try again with fresh cycle bcos I do not have any frozen embryo. I will not give up..... Let us pray hard together to make it happen...

All the best to you!!!!

Heather

Hello ladies.. i just did my ET on thursday and today I m having cramps,back ache etc.. I also feel very dizzy and drunk when i take 200mg(3 times a day) progesterone.. i will call the clinic on Monday(as it is closed tomo), but before that, can you share your experience if what i m expecting is normal.. What was ur dosage of progesterone? My progesterone test is scheduled on tuesday.. I really don't feel good.. Appreciate your response and thanks for your help!

maddie

Dear Angelaang,

I have not been doing IVF for a while coz it is very expensive. I am saving up money for now coz my hubby wants natural to happen. Even if there is frozen embryo, the chance is also not that high to get preggie wor. I envy your spirit of not giving up if it is not successful. My hubby also gave me lots of support when my dum dum embryos do not implant after i go through the various stages till the final stage. It is very demoralizing i tell you. So many times and it is still so. If I am able to save enough money and time permits me to do IVF again, then maybe by then if I still cannot, then I will go for IVF. Meanwhile just see what God is going to give me.

Hi Maddie,

Do not give up.... Try till success.

FYI, I have done my embryo transfer today and the doc telling me that only 2 out of 22 ovum are ok. After hearing that, I almost break down luckily my hubby given me very strong support & encouragement I feel better. I have told myself if this time round not success, I will sure try again with fresh cycle bcos I do not have any frozen embryo. I will not give up..... Let us pray hard together to make it happen...

All the best to you!!!!

Angelaang

Hello ladies.. i just did my ET on thursday and today I m having cramps,back ache etc.. I also feel very dizzy and drunk when i take 200mg(3 times a day) progesterone.. i will call the clinic on Monday(as it is closed tomo), but before that, can you share your experience if what i m expecting is normal.. What was ur dosage of progesterone? My progesterone test is scheduled on tuesday.. I really don't feel good.. Appreciate your response and thanks for your help!
Hi Heather,

How are you feeling now? You did your ET on the same date as me. Yes, first few days felt crampy but after that feel all right till now. As for your progesterone, you took it and not insert thru virginia. For me, the nurse told me to insert it 3 times a day.

Hope you are all right now and we shall pray hard together..... Good luck!!!

Angelaang

Hi Maddie,

I believed the god will sure give it to us as They can see our effort.....don't think too much and make yourself more relax. Maybe you n your hubby shld go for a short trip to relax and thing will happen when you don't think too much.

All the best to you!!!

Dear Angelaang,

I have not been doing IVF for a while coz it is very expensive. I am saving up money for now coz my hubby wants natural to happen. Even if there is frozen embryo, the chance is also not that high to get preggie wor. I envy your spirit of not giving up if it is not successful. My hubby also gave me lots of support when my dum dum embryos do not implant after i go through the various stages till the final stage. It is very demoralizing i tell you. So many times and it is still so. If I am able to save enough money and time permits me to do IVF again, then maybe by then if I still cannot, then I will go for IVF. Meanwhile just see what God is going to give me.

Heather

Hi Heather,

How are you feeling now? You did your ET on the same date as me. Yes, first few days felt crampy but after that feel all right till now. As for your progesterone, you took it and not insert thru virginia. For me, the nurse told me to insert it 3 times a day.

Hope you are all right now and we shall pray hard together..... Good luck!!!
Hi Angelaang,

I am ok now, except i feel very drowsy n dizzy bcoz of progesterone.. Inserting progesterone caused cramps,also when it oozes out, i almost feel like i am getting my periods.. So i prefer oral intake..

Ya, 2 ww is tough.. I hv been searching too much on internet for every symptom.. can't wait till next saturday.. when is your blood test?

Angelaang

Hi,

Yes, if you took oral intake will feel drowsy and dizzy. I took it when I did my iui last year. My blood test will be on 15th.... All the best to you!!!!

Good luck!!!

Hi Angelaang,

I am ok now, except i feel very drowsy n dizzy bcoz of progesterone.. Inserting progesterone caused cramps,also when it oozes out, i almost feel like i am getting my periods.. So i prefer oral intake..

Ya, 2 ww is tough.. I hv been searching too much on internet for every symptom.. can't wait till next saturday.. when is your blood test?