IVF

bakaholic

Hi

I am new to this thread. However, would like to share on my experience with you.

Both my hubby and I have been trying to concieve since 3 years ago. Finally have the courage to undergo IVF as suggested by my gyn. We have undergone a few tests.
ME: I went thru FSH test to check my hormone level as well as HSG to make sure that my tubes are not blocked.
dear husband: Went for SA test. Result not good. Low sperm count, density and shape.

As such, I have went thru my first IVF ER and ET in Oct 2009. 10 eggs retrieved and 8 fertilized with . 2 arrested during fertilization. 3 embryos of 8 cell were transfered during ET. I did suffered from mild OHSS and was hospitalized for 2 days. After two weeks, i was tested neg.

Doc then decided to monitor my ovulation pattern before proceed with FET.
After 3 months of monitoring, I started my FET cycle this month, 3 thaws embryos were transfer and i did not survive during the unthaw process. Again waited for two weeks (in between chinese new year period) but just a few days ago, my AF started. All my hopes gone.

Went back to see doc yesterday, doc suggested that I start IUI but without medication, just natural cycle since he knew that I am ovulating and able to produce egg. Problem lies on my dear husband.

But just wondering why return back to IUI given that I have 1 fail IVF and 1 fail FET.

Any one has such encountered like mine.... I am just worried about the success rate for IUI. Doc says is just a matter of luck where a good egg met a good solder.
Babycoco,
Perhaps your doc wants to do the less invasive mthd since you are prone to OHSS. It's strange to switch back to IUI after failed ivf but it does depend on SA result. If the % of normal sperm is too low, it's not feasible to do IUI.
Do you want to seek 2nd opinion before deciding?
There is no harm trying the IUI if the cost is not too high and it's less tough on your body.
Hope that helps...

Peartree

Hi,

Have any of you done the acupuncture? Does it work?
Hiya,

I had acupuncture throughout my treatment, and on the week of Egg Retrieval and Transfer, 3 sessions: one just before ER, one on the morning of Embryo transfer, and one in the afternoon just after transfer. After that, I did two in the 2WW before my pregnancy test. I got my BFP yesterday after my ICSI cycle. I don't know if it has helped, but it can't do any harm. Our bodies go through so much, it's worth it just to invest all you can in it to maximise your chances. My acupuncturist was really good and did relaxation breathing exercises as relaxation is a very important thing during your cycle - positive thinking, happy thoughts! Sometimes, conventional medicine will only get you 90% of the way there. There is that extra 10% that comes within yourself.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Peartree

But just wondering why return back to IUI given that I have 1 fail IVF and 1 fail FET.

Any one has such encountered like mine.... I am just worried about the success rate for IUI. Doc says is just a matter of luck where a good egg met a good solder.
Babycoco, do you know the underlying cause of your infertility? I'm just asking because it seems strange to give up on IVF after only one cycle. On average, it takes 3 cycles to work.

In my case, IUI would not have worked for us - we went straight to ICSI, as my hub's sperm count was too low.

bubu

Hi,

I heard that doctor will ususally give you MC to rest, can anyone advise how many days will the doctor give, I heard that they will give you maximum up to 14 days.

I'm thinking of trying IVF but thinking how to answer to my boss if I get 14 days of mc at a go.

babylemon

Hi lawla12 & all who hv followed me fm this topic. My apologies for not posting any updates after my FET in Jan. Yes, I was too distraught for the past mths as my IVF failed.

Before the FET and during the 2ww, my health was not very gd as I had a bad cough tat wldnt go away. But anyway, Dr Cheng was also surprised tat I was negative with a D4 embryo. Tat fateful test date, the nurses took my urine test but dare not speak to me. Eventually I had to wait very long b4 I cld see Dr Cheng. Again, he said it cld be due to many reasons. Maybe this method of ivf was not suitable for me. However he said the other method was more dangerous for OHSS carrier. There was no consolation or anythg, more imptly, I do not hv the answer that I need - why exactly it did not work?

I'm not blaming the dr or nurses. Just blame myself that I had to go through all this and face this awful result by myself. After that when my menses arrive, I went through a bottomless pit of my life. I had a lot of crazy tots that my embies were flushed out fm my body. The CNY season did not make me feel any better. I am so scared of meeting people with babies or people asking me when when when...so I just stayed at home.

I needed a lot of consolation and couldnt share my unhappiness with anybody so I just cry everyday and every night. I didnt have any frozen embies to try again. So to start all over again is really scary. Some ppl said that it takes an average of 3 cycles to work. But this round meant a lot to me.

Unfortunately my prayers were not answered so today I am still back to square one. I am not trying to discourage anybody to go for ivf. Bcos if u nvr try, u wont know. Sorry, I really wish I can share a success story.

Perhaps to those who are on their journey to ivf, to do tcm/acupuncture at the same time to improve the blood flow to the womb and all. Maybe it can help.

For now, I hv also gone back to tcm as my cycle is in the mess. Chances are very low as my temp has nvr go up to above 35degrees. Sigh, I am still trying my best not to give up. My journey continues...

lawla12

Hi lawla12 & all who have followed me fm this topic. My apologies for not posting any updates after my FET in Jan. Yes, I was too distraught for the past mths as my IVF failed.

Before the FET and during the 2ww, my health was not very good as I had a bad cough that wldnt go away. But anyway, Dr Cheng was also surprised that I was negative with a D4 embryo. that fateful test date, the nurses took my urine test but dare not speak to me. Eventually I had to wait very long before I cld see Dr Cheng. Again, he said it cld be due to many reasons. Maybe this method of ivf was not suitable for me. However he said the other method was more dangerous for OHSS carrier. There was no consolation or anythg, more imptly, I do not have the answer that I need - why exactly it did not work?

I'm not blaming the dr or nurses. Just blame myself that I had to go through all this and face this awful result by myself. After that when my menses arrive, I went through a bottomless pit of my life. I had a lot of crazy tots that my embies were flushed out fm my body. The CNY season did not make me feel any better. I am so scared of meeting people with babies or people asking me when when when...so I just stayed at home.

I needed a lot of consolation and couldnt share my unhappiness with anybody so I just cry everyday and every night. I didnt have any frozen embies to try again. So to start all over again is really scary. Some ppl said that it takes an average of 3 cycles to work. But this round meant a lot to me.

Unfortunately my prayers were not answered so today I am still back to square one. I am not trying to discourage anybody to go for ivf. Bcos if you never try, you wont know. Sorry, I really wish I can share a success story.

Perhaps to those who are on their journey to ivf, to do traditional chinese medicine/acupuncture at the same time to improve the blood flow to the womb and all. Maybe it can help.

For now, I have also gone back to traditional chinese medicine as my cycle is in the mess. Chances are very low as my temp has never go up to above 35degrees. Sigh, I am still trying my best not to give up. My journey continues...

sry to hear tat babylemon....

u've tried ur very best....dun gif up......the time will come.....one of my frd's colleague, she went thr 2 IVF but failed.....the couple decided not to haf babies since they've tried evyting.....but guess wad, 3mths later, the wife strike.....

smtimes tings r juz so werid.....when u wan it to come, it juz refuse to come...but when u'r least expecting it, it APPEAR~

understand the pain u went thr....((though i not yet do IVF, but i know i will confirm break down if my IVF fail))....i'm a little unwillingly to do IVF cos its considered the highest chance of conceiving......but still i know if i dun go thr this, i will definitely regret esp when i'm getting olddddddddddd......

so juz go for it...at least i know we've try our very best.....

take tis opportunity to rest ....go for a short holiday......we'll all support u yaaa...dun gif up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wong19::wong19::wong19::wong19:

shespice

Hello,
I am just reading this thread and I admire the strength and determination of those of you who have gone through or are going through programs in order to get pregnant. I hope for the best for each one of you and believe that one day your desire of having a child would come true.
I have irregular menses since young and tested to have PCOS too so gynae said it would be difficult for me to conceive and also due to my age. Tried clomid and didn't help and I didn't go through IUI or IVF as suggested by gynae because I wasn't as brave as you all :).
But I am blessed to have a daughter now and she is 16 months. She came after 14 years. I know its a long time and this is not to discourage anyone but rather I hope that you all would be encouraged to know that there is still hope for each one of you! I think sometimes when we least expect and when the "stress" of "needing" to get pregnant is put aside, the very thing will happen. Continue to believe for your gift and miracle.
Be encouraged because I was 42 when i finally conceived naturally and unexpectedly and gave birth at 43 for my 1st child :). It is still possible for all of you k? Hugggzzzz

lawla12

Hello,
I am just reading this thread and I admire the strength and determination of those of you who have gone through or are going through programs in order to get pregnant. I hope for the best for each one of you and believe that one day your desire of having a child would come true.
I have irregular menses since young and tested to have PCOS too so gynae said it would be difficult for me to conceive and also due to my age. Tried clomid and didn't help and I didn't go through IUI or IVF as suggested by gynae because I wasn't as brave as you all :).
But I am blessed to have a daughter now and she is 16 months. She came after 14 years. I know its a long time and this is not to discourage anyone but rather I hope that you all would be encouraged to know that there is still hope for each one of you! I think sometimes when we least expect and when the "stress" of "needing" to get pregnant is put aside, the very thing will happen. Continue to believe for your gift and miracle.
Be encouraged because I was 42 when i finally conceived naturally and unexpectedly and gave birth at 43 for my 1st child :). It is still possible for all of you k? Hugggzzzz

yes yes....stress oso plays an impt factor too...

haizz...all of us understand, but when face wif this situation, we cant help it but evyday tink tink tink esp during the 2ww which can make us go crazy....

nevertheless, i know i will regret if i do noting...tats y i chose to do 2 IUI but failed......shd b going for IVF but seeing TCM currently....even if i dun strike when i'm wif TCM, at least i can "tiao" my body 1st b4 doing IVF~

i oso scare i'm giving myself too much stress by "anyhow" thinking esp when IVF is considered the highest chance of "ttc treatment"......

sighz...i oso duno how to describle the feeling...wanna go for IVF (pour evyting) but scare fail......however i know smting for sure---i will regret if i din try IVF.....so juz go for it....fail or success leave it to heaven baaaa....i've done evyting i can~

J

justforgags

Thank god!! Finally my hubby agree on going thru IVF but not anytime soon cause we hv to save up:Dancing_wub:

lawla12

Thank god!! Finally my hubby agree on going thru IVF but not anytime soon cause we have to save up:Dancing_wub:

jia you jia you~

u'r currently on TCM rite??? let them "tiao tiao" ur body b4 going for IVF yaaaaaa.......

:tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

Hi I'm trying for my bb for almost 1.5yrs now and still no gd news yet. Worst thing is we've went for all fertility test and report came back as perfectly fine! Sometimes I just wished that doc give us some negative feedbck on our report so that at least we know there's an underlying condition, but now all we can do is hope for miracle to happen or to take doc advice of gg thru IUI if we still don't strike by end of the yr. Apparently after reading the post here, it seems like IUI has v min success rates! Would you all advice if I go straight for IVF instead of IUI? And those who have went thru IUI, isit paInful?
I'm quite scare of pain after gv thru HSG, the thought of it just send chill dwn my spine...

J

justforgags

jia you jia you~

you'r currently on traditional chinese medicine rite??? let them "tiao tiao" your body before going for IVF yaaaaaa.......

:tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

Yea, tot of goin for the accupunture at raffles hosp or SGH TCM.. C wht my gynae hv to say..

J

justforgags

hi guys,

can u describe how tedious n painful is IVF gonna b.. Wud like to prepare for myself for tt;-)

Shashan

hi guys,

can you describe how tedious n painful is IVF gonna b.. Wud like to prepare for myself for that;-)

Hi, i'm new here. but had 2 ivf experiences. At first, doc thought that only my husband haveslight morphology problem, but after the first ivf trial, doc realised that my eggs quality is not good. 2nd attempt managed to improve my egg quality and one embryo implanted, but lost at week 5. intend to try for the 3 rd time....

J

justforgags

Hi, i'm new here. but had 2 ivf experiences. At first, doc thought that only my husband haveslight morphology problem, but after the first ivf trial, doc realised that my eggs quality is not good. 2nd attempt managed to improve my egg quality and one embryo implanted, but lost at week 5. intend to try for the 3 rd time....

Hi shashan, may i know how old r u?? i planned to go for IVF most prollly nx year n im in my mid 20s=)

lawla12

hi guys,

can you describe how tedious n painful is IVF gonna b.. Wud like to prepare for myself for that;-)

helo gags....

did u try IUI b4???? the procedure is smting smiliar.....

for IVF---aim is to get as many eggs as possible...so gynae shd b giving u jabs instead of clomid.

the jabs is injected on ur tummy daily (DIY urself, dosage depends on individual)....i've the pic in my HP but i dun haf the cable now, tomolo then i upload for u ok....

the jabs is injected from day 1 to 12/16 (oso depends on individual, how well our eggs grow)....during day 1 to 12/16, b prepared to see the gynae evy 2/3days...the gynae will haf to monitor the growth of our eggs.....when its getting nearer to ovulation timing, gynae will see u more often too or she may take bloodtest to determine the ovulation timing if necessary.....

so b4 ovulation, gynae will inject another jab on ur butt to stop the ovulation...then next day, gynae will extract ur eggs out (u will b asleep, u wont feel anyting)....i've not done IVF b4, but heard from my colleague tat after the egg removal, ur tummy like cramp cramp (like AF coming those feeling)......in the morn b4 u extract ur eggs out, ur hubby will haf to deposit his sperms ya....so when the eggs r ready, the sperms r washed n injected into ur eggs......

u'll haf to wait for abt 3days for the eggs n sperms to react.....after abt 3days later, gynae will choose max of 3 fertilised eggs n place it back into our private area....

for tis, its exactly like IUI where u open ur legs wide wide for them to insert the tube n insert the eggs back into our private area through the tube.....its not painful, juz uncomfortable ya....the process is very fast dee, less than 5mins......juz relax n evyting will go smoothly.......

after all these, it will b 2 ww yaaaaaaaaaa:001_302:

i'm sure b4 u do ur IVF, the nurse n gynae will explain to u abt the procedure yaa...u can ask them too yaaaaa~

Shashan

Hi shashan, may i know how old r you?? i planned to go for IVF most prollly nx year n im in my mid 20s=)

Hi, justforgags. U're younger... Still have time. I'm 30 this year, my problem is more serious. Doc said I have premature aging ovaries, thus my egg quality not good, and I may not ovulate, thus it's better to go for ivf. But after 2 failed experiences, now feel a bit desperate...
It's not easy to went through the 2 weeks wait, my problem only found out after I had my first ivf, cause doc won't know how's our egg quality until they retrieve my eggs....
I'm trying Chinese herbal medicine too, I think that's a good method for us who went through ivf.

J

justforgags

helo gags....

did you try IUI before???? the procedure is smting smiliar.....

for IVF---aim is to get as many eggs as possible...so gynae should b giving you jabs instead of clomid.

the jabs is injected on your tummy daily (DIY yourself, dosage depends on individual)....i've the pic in my HP but i dont have the cable now, tomolo then i upload for you ok....

the jabs is injected from day 1 to 12/16 (also depends on individual, how well our eggs grow)....during day 1 to 12/16, b prepared to see the gynae evy 2/3days...the gynae will have to monitor the growth of our eggs.....when its getting nearer to ovulation timing, gynae will see you more often too or she may take bloodtest to determine the ovulation timing if necessary.....

so before ovulation, gynae will inject another jab on your butt to stop the ovulation...then next day, gynae will extract your eggs out (you will b asleep, you wont feel anyting)....i've not done IVF before, but heard from my colleague that after the egg removal, your tummy like cramp cramp (like AF coming those feeling)......in the morn before you extract your eggs out, your hubby will have to deposit his sperms ya....so when the eggs r ready, the sperms r washed n injected into your eggs......

you'll have to wait for about 3days for the eggs n sperms to react.....after about 3days later, gynae will choose max of 3 fertilised eggs n place it back into our private area....

for tis, its exactly like IUI where you open your legs wide wide for them to insert the tube n insert the eggs back into our private area through the tube.....its not painful, just uncomfortable ya....the process is very fast dee, less than 5mins......just relax n evyting will go smoothly.......

after all these, it will b 2 ww yaaaaaaaaaa:001_302:

i'm sure before you do your IVF, the nurse n gynae will explain to you about the procedure yaa...you can ask them too yaaaaa~

Hi lawla, thx for the useful info. I can now picture how its gonna b like..

My gynae recommend me to go str8 for IVF n not to waste time on iui. My hubby hv to go thru icsi to retrieve his sperm as he is having azoospermia.

Hi, justforgags. you're younger... Still have time. I'm 30 this year, my problem is more serious. Doc said I have premature aging ovaries, thus my egg quality not good, and I may not ovulate, thus it's better to go for ivf. But after 2 failed experiences, now feel a bit desperate...
It's not easy to went through the 2 weeks wait, my problem only found out after I had my first ivf, cause doc won't know how's our egg quality until they retrieve my eggs....
I'm trying Chinese herbal medicine too, I think that's a good method for us who went through ivf.
Hi Shashan,

Yea im goin for TCM under my gynae as well to boost the IVF treatment:wong29:

Shashan

sry to hear that babylemon....

you've tried your very best....dont give up......the time will come.....one of my friend's colleague, she went thr 2 IVF but failed.....the couple decided not to have babies since they've tried evyting.....but guess what, 3mths later, the wife strike.....

smtimes tings r just so werid.....when you want it to come, it just refuse to come...but when you'r least expecting it, it APPEAR~

understand the pain you went thr....((though i not yet do IVF, but i know i will confirm break down if my IVF fail))....i'm a little unwillingly to do IVF cos its considered the highest chance of conceiving......but still i know if i dont go thr this, i will definitely regret esp when i'm getting olddddddddddd......
so just go for it...at least i know we've try our very best.....
take tis opportunity to rest ....go for a short holiday......we'll all support you yaaa...dont give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wong19::wong19::wong19::wong19:

Hi,babylemon. Sorry to hear about it. I totally can understand how u feel as I had 2 failed ivf before too.
At first didn't realised I've problem, after Doc retrieved my eggs, get to know that my eggs quality are not good. In 2nd attempt, doc managed to improve my eggs quality through medicine and I got pregnant, but I lost it at 5th week...
Now really feel a bit desperate.... It's really not easy to went through that 2 weeks wait, and if I fail for my 3rd time, there'll be no co funding and medisave that I can claim already...