Low BM how?

kereen

hi everyone, i had just gave birth to my baby girl 10 days ago. my husband bought me the avent BM bump, i had been trying since day one but maximum i pump out 10ml only. can you girls advise what should i do next? is it my supply low or i do not know how to use the pump. but i tried 2hr last nite MAX 10ml like that only

Amulet

if u know, pumps can actually only get ard 70% of our actually amt.. most milks are produced on the spot whn baby suckle or letdowns.. is urs a manual pump?

anyway, why are u even pumpin at 10days?

isabelandrew

i was like you, so confused. i realised that you cannot expect to produce litres of breast milk in just one month. BM is a demand and supply logic. u need to let your bb latch on your breasts at least 2-3 hrs interval. your body will slowly increase the supply. many pple thought the qty they pump out is the amount they have. is not true lor. no pump, no matter what brand, can pump out all the breast milk in our breasts. only bb can :)

try not to let the amount u pump out determine the amount of BM supply u have.

i was like u, pump out and felt so sad. then i got sister kang to come and help me. she told me to let bb latch for min 8 weeks. slowly the supply came :) although i dun hv so much like other ppl (by litres), im perserving!!!!

All the best to you!

snowbear

hi everyone, i had just gave birth to my baby girl 10 days ago. my husband bought me the avent BM bump, i had been trying since day one but maximum i pump out 10ml only. can you girls advise what should i do next? is it my supply low or i do not know how to use the pump. but i tried 2hr last nite MAX 10ml like that only
Do you let your baby latch on? Baby's suck is the strongest pump on earth so you may wanna let your baby latch on more often to increase milk supply. :) Demand will cause your supply to increase.

Don't feel too discouraged by what you pump out. In any case, how often are you pumping and how long do you pump each time?

Spiralng

You have to keep pumping every 2 hours if you did not let your baby latch on. Slowly your milk flow will increase.

kathtan

Mine also very low- eachtime abt 30-50ml for both sides! And i gave birth more than 3 weeks ago. My twins are in hosp so can't latch on butthey need BM as they are prematured and 1 of them has immatured gut/stomach so FM is a no-no. sigh. I only can continue to pump, however little it is...

isabelandrew

maybe you can get help fm hospital? i read there is a hospital used pump which is good to extract BM from our breasts. im sure there is lactation consultant to help u? which hospital did u deliver ah?

shespice

hi everyone, i had just gave birth to my baby girl 10 days ago. my husband bought me the avent BM b ump, i had been trying since day one but maximum i pump out 10ml only. can you girls advise what should i do next? is it my supply low or i do not know how to use the pump. but i tried 2hr last nite MAX 10ml like that only
congrats on birth of baby gal :).
the best way to stimulate the flow of milk is for baby to suckle and the more you let her, your flow will increase. when i first started i also didn't have much milk and like you after pumping so long still 10ml only. but don't give up and perservere and don't be discouraged even if people tell you that you don't have enough milk for baby. just let her suckle and she will get milk out. do also drink more fluid.
now for me after 4 months, the flow is so much more. :) So keep it up!

chiro

dun be stressed by quantity by lookin how many ml, the more you look, the more stressed you become and less milk come out. Be relaxed when expressing milk eg. look at your baby or listen to soothing music.Let your baby latch on as much as possible.dun give up! Everyone produce different quantity of milk, so dun stress yourself. Well meaning people might try to get you to switch to formula milk, be firm in your standing. If baby appetite is big and seem to be always hungry- just keep on feeding baby on demand. Do not focus on the quantity but think of the benefits of bringin quality milk to your baby as you are giving your very best to your precious baby.

ger-mummy

I also initial can pump out only 20ml for both side, then this aunty feng lian the postnatal massage help me to stimulate the milk. She said if dun let bb latch on, drink hot drink & use warm towel massage ur breast before u pump. It can inrease day-by-day. I din let bb latch coz nipple is flat & when i try she will wail wail wail my heart so pain... Perhap can get hubby to help to massage

uddermummy

ger mummy,

I have flat nipples too and when i first started bfing, i had latching prob (nipples were bleeding) and engorgement. I was in such pain that i was crying everyday and had to take painkillers.

The thing about flat nipples is that you must let bb latch on correctly. bb's chin must touch the breast and the nose should not be covered (asymmetric latch). If you are latched on correctly, there will be no pain and the bb will be able to nurse and increase the milk supply.

My bb used to wail her lungs out when she couldn't latch, especially when my breasts were engorged and the nipples were even shorter. But now that she's older, she can latch even when breasts are full.

ke reen,

when you first start pumping, the supply will be low. Did you position the pump so that the funnel covers your whole areola? Must also pump regularly. But the best is to let bb latch and then pump after that to increase your milk supply.
Must persevere! Good luck.

Last edited:

yvonne_ktw

erm....
me give birth till 3rd day in hospital then let BB latch on but very painful so i stop after 2trys. 2try he didnt even get a few mouth of milk from me n i gave him FM. Then on 4th day going home that time my breast wanna burst!! i have 2more additional small lump under my armpit and between armpit and breast area. It's killing me but i still didn't let BB latch on cause painfull.. =(

When i reach home i keep pumping n pumping the milk don't stop.
Pumping on right breast,left side driping. change to left side,right side engorge again. i engorge till i keep taking pain killer(aft doctor advise) n till fever.. i dun have enough btl that time n thrown away abt 3-4ltrs of BM.

I still tell my mum, i dun want any fish at all!!! cause engorgement is killing me.. =(

Wat i find is i didn't let BB latch on but still have alot of milk using avent electric pump.

I heard is same as others advise let BB lach on cause it will tell yr brain that yr BB needs milk so your supply will come...

uddermummy

actually to prevent engorgement, it's best to let bb latch on and feed regularly. I didnt', that's why kenna engorgement. :p

I had latch on prob too and consulted 2 lact consultants. A lot of trial and error. If painful, will latch bb off, and then try to find a position that is not painful.

Realised that the asymmetric latch works best for me. Will also 'scold' bb when she starts sucking on my nipple. somehow, bb knows and will stop

kenxf_03

I also initial can pump out only 20ml for both side, then this aunty feng lian the postnatal massage help me to stimulate the milk. She said if dun let bb latch on, drink hot drink & use warm towel massage ur breast before u pump. It can inrease day-by-day. I din let bb latch coz nipple is flat & when i try she will wail wail wail my heart so pain... Perhap can get hubby to help to massage
Hi ger-mummy,

i have the same prob as you.. :embarrassed:

but I will try the method that u mentioned. Cos I hope to increase the milk supply too. Whenever I tried to let my baby boy latch on, he will cry and cry too.. Which in turn I feel so heartpain, and let him feed on FM instead..