Modern Cloth Diapering

mrs_eg

Hi mummies...

Anyone using modern cloth diapers??

Ive jus started my cloth diapering journey with my breastfed baby... And i am still figuring out the best way abt things... For example, how to handle poopy cloth diapers, when to wash them n how etc... Kindly share ur experience... Thanx alot!!!

Can you pls share your laundry routine? Whether u soak? Hand wash? Machine wash? Do you rinse first? Do you wash them on the day itself? Do you compile laundry for 2-3days b4 washing? Wat detergent do you use etc.... ?

And also do you use liners? Do u find it useful? Disposable or washable? What brand of liners is good??

Any idea which are the ingredients in nappy creams that may be detrimental to those expensive cloth diaper materials? What nappy cream do u use??

allycat

I usually leave e damp CD in a dry pail until next wash. If there's poo on it, i leave it aside, spray off the poo when free, wire dry n leave it together with the rest in the dry pail.

mrs_eg

I usually leave e damp CD in a dry pail until next wash. If there's poo on it, i leave it aside, spray off the poo when free, wire dry n leave it together with the rest in the dry pail.
Thanx allycat.

Then do u use liners? U do which brand? Disposable?

Wat abt nappy cream? What brand?

arrafah

I read that you can't really use nappy rash cream for cloth diapers unless you use liners, as the cream will affect the absorbency.

I recently am experimenting with cloth diapering as well, pocket diapers to be precise, just starting this week. Am having some problems with leaking. Someone said that it could be my detergent, besides the fact that maybe the diaper is too wet. Any suggestions on detergent as well?

mrs_eg

I read that you can't really use nappy rash cream for cloth diapers unless you use liners, as the cream will affect the absorbency.

I recently am experimenting with cloth diapering as well, pocket diapers to be precise, just starting this week. Am having some problems with leaking. Someone said that it could be my detergent, besides the fact that maybe the diaper is too wet. Any suggestions on detergent as well?
I use Country Save... Bought frm bumwears... Supposedly safe for modern diapers...

Also.. Did u wash ur new cloth diapers abt 3 times b4 using??? This will increase absorbancy

arrafah

I did pre-wash three times! And for another set, I boiled the inserts for a short cut, as someone suggested.

Maybe I should change the detergent. Right now I'm using Pigeon (softener not included though).

My routine of washing is usually letting them pile up in the small toilet sink, spray off any poo if there is any, put them into laundry bags and wash at 40 degrees in the washing machine, with extra rinse. Line-dry.

What brands do you mommies use or recommend?

allycat

I used anaku liners but did top up after I finished the first box. Stopped using liner as baby's poo is less runny now. But i read that use of liner us able to give baby a dryer feel. For detergent, i'm currently using napisan, so far so good.

Used to have problem with leak but that was because i wore it loosy on baby. Now i wear it snug, no prob even for overnight.

mrs_eg

I did pre-wash three times! And for another set, I boiled the inserts for a short cut, as someone suggested.

Maybe I should change the detergent. Right now I'm using Pigeon (softener not included though).

My routine of washing is usually letting them pile up in the small toilet sink, spray off any poo if there is any, put them into laundry bags and wash at 40 degrees in the washing machine, with extra rinse. Line-dry.

Some detergent tat says safe for cloth diapers actually meant old cloth diapers... Some detergent actually contains chemicals tat will harm the modern cloth diaper material. For example some detergent hav enzymes tat will react with urine and then cause diaper rash....

Btw do u wash the nappy on the day itself? Im wondering if leaving it for a second day will affect anything... Will it b too unhygenic... Scared it wont be easily cleaned n cause unecessary rash on baby....

Last edited:

mrs_eg

I used anaku liners but did top up after I finished the first box. Stopped using liner as baby's poo is less runny now. But i read that use of liner us able to give baby a dryer feel. For detergent, i'm currently using napisan, so far so good.

Used to have problem with leak but that was because i wore it loosy on baby. Now i wear it snug, no prob even for overnight.
Yup the liner does give a dry feel... The watery stools dried up n stick to my gal's bum... Very difficult to wash....

arrafah

When it's just pee, I leave them overnight till I get enough diapers to wash them together. When it's poo, I clean and lightly soak the first right after changing the baby, before piling it with the rest. So far no rash. I use hot water to wash and extra-rinse, just in case.

Thanks for the info on the detergent!

allycat

Yup the liner does give a dry feel... The watery stools dried up n stick to my gal's bum... Very difficult to wash....
Hmmm, I didnt really have that problem when Quan was younger. Maybe its because I always managed to catch him in action :D

xicloudix

Some detergent that says safe for cloth diapers actually meant old cloth diapers... Some detergent actually contains chemicals that will harm the modern cloth diaper material. For example some detergent hav enzymes that will react with urine and then cause diaper rash....

Btw do you wash the nappy on the day itself? Im wondering if leaving it for a second day will affect anything... Will it b too unhygenic... Scared it wont be easily cleaned n cause unecessary rash on baby....

Honestly i hav no idea hw to d

Use a dry pail and cover it up if u wanna leave till 2nd day

what i usually do is juz dump into dry pail and wash the next days... Max i leave it for 2 days,

If i am not wrong, u mentioned in ur previous post before that u have a washing machine tat can set temp??? since u have this, ucan set it at around 40 degrees and wash...

Nappy liner, i tried many brands (around 10 brands) I find annaaku is the best...

xicloudix

how long have you been using the diaper? I would suggest u do a strip wash, as I feel that it may be a detergent/ bateria build up etc... as normally this will affect its abosrbency...

u pile in the small toilet sink, if can, cover it, as air/ oxygen will cause bacteria to build up easily... and it may dry the diaper, and thus causing the "dirty" to stay on the diaper....

And also, do not put in laundry bag, as it may not be clean enough. Because diaper need a lot of swish room... by putting in laundry bag, its not allowing it to really clean well... this was advise by another mummy when i was juz starting out with cloth diaper... and i tried it, and really works better than putting in laundry bag...

mrs_eg

Use a dry pail and cover it up if you wanna leave till 2nd day

what i usually do is just dump into dry pail and wash the next days... Max i leave it for 2 days,

If i am not wrong, you mentioned in your previous post before that you have a washing machine that can set temp??? since you have this, ucan set it at around 40 degrees and wash...

Nappy liner, i tried many brands (around 10 brands) I find annaaku is the best...
I tot cover will encourage more bacteria or mould? Cos it is damp n dark ... Unless use transparent pails...

Btw... Im using pocket diapers... Babyland frm u n moomookow... Hw do u fold the liner so that it fits properly in the diaper??? I feel that it always go out of alignment after my wriggly gal wears them....

Oh n y annaku liners?

Last edited:

xicloudix

HI annaku coz its more durable even after a few wash, some liner becomes soggy after 1 wash... and i notice annaku draws away wettness quickly and maintain longer than other liners

I would fold it 3/4 juz nice so it won't comes out... so far so good...

and the dry pail method was introduced to me by these site... and if i am not wrong meiteoh also recommend me before, as i think previously i asked about wet pail and dry pail.... BUT main thing is to wash the diapers asap, try not to leave for too long, max 2 days
Prepping & Wash Routine | EverythingBabything.com
Benefits of Cloth Diapering | Mummy's Reviews

mrs_eg

HI annaku coz its more durable even after a few wash, some liner becomes soggy after 1 wash... and i notice annaku draws away wettness quickly and maintain longer than other liners

I would fold it 3/4 just nice so it won't comes out... so far so good...

and the dry pail method was introduced to me by these site... and if i am not wrong meiteoh also recommend me before, as i think previously i asked about wet pail and dry pail.... BUT main thing is to wash the diapers asap, try not to leave for too long, max 2 days
Prepping & Wash Routine | EverythingBabything.com
Benefits of Cloth Diapering | Mummy's Reviews
Thanx... I tot u r toking abt disposable liners...

xicloudix

Thanx... I thought you r talking about disposable liners...

???? anakku is disposables liners, i fold them then place ontop of the diaper... and they are washable.... can reuse... they are of better quality thus more durable... some other brands turn soggy around 2 washes and i have to throw away...

i use a dry pail cover for storing my diapers until wash day....

do i get what u mean??? haha i blur liao

mrs_eg

???? anakku is disposables liners, i fold them then place ontop of the diaper... and they are washable.... can reuse... they are of better quality thus more durable... some other brands turn soggy around 2 washes and i have to throw away...

i use a dry pail cover for storing my diapers until wash day....

do i get what you mean??? haha i blur
Haha sorry sorry i didnt knw u can wash n reuse... I tot jus throw away

xicloudix

Haha sorry sorry i didnt knw you can wash n reuse... I thought just throw away

actually i think the box write muz throw away, but hor most of the mummies would take and wash, unless with poo.... can wash a few times... the effect still the same, still can draw wettness away from buttocks... tats for anakku... some brand wash 1-2 times already spoil..,