Modern Cloth Diapering

mrs_eg

Sorry can I double check again... Will soaking the CD in detergent spoil the material?? i notice it can help me remove stains, especially on the inserts...

xicloudix

Hi yes.... my supplier mentioned to me that soak will destroy the waterproof layer... MAX can soak 1 day....

i do soak my CD also, max 1 day.... i feel its cleaner this way..

Mummy to Baby V

Sorry can I double check again... Will soaking the CD in detergent spoil the material?? i notice it can help me remove stains, especially on the inserts...
If soaking works better, then only for inserts, etc. Not for PUL diapers, soaking weakens the glue layer over time.
As for stains, can try spraying off poo asap, prewash cycle, warm (40-deg) wash, and drying under hot sun.
Also, is too little detergent used? If very little, can try increase a bit. Just ensure thorough rinsing.

I'm usually cautious of soaking laundry, especially when baby becomes more mobile over time.

Shimmerleen

Hi mummies,

Where can I get the insert from? Wat brand do u all recomend? I almost tot that liners r the insert.. Luckily saw this thread..

So far hav not seen any insert selling in kiddy palace.. Mostly liner.. Where can I get? For insert also need to pre wash for 3 times?

Thanks!

meiteoh

You won't find anything related to modern cloth diapers being sold in places like Kiddy Palace except for liners. You can get the inserts and doublers from online stores like whoopeekids.com (google please coz I forgot the exact spelling). For microfiber inserts, best to wash thrice before use to get maximum absorbancy. For bamboo and hemp, need to wash SEPARATELY for six times or boil once (please don't boil your covers as well - you'll damage them).

Mummy to Baby V

Hi mummies,

Where can I get the insert from? Wat brand do u all recomend? I almost tot that liners r the insert.. Luckily saw this thread..

So far hav not seen any insert selling in kiddy palace.. Mostly liner.. Where can I get? For insert also need to pre wash for 3 times? Thanks!
To get a feel of what modem pocket diapers and their inserts look like, you can visit Tangs, where Moo Moo Kow is sold.

mrs_eg

Hi again...

Can anyone share your baby's age and how often do u change to a fresh diaper when cloth diapering???

My baby is 2.5 mths, been cloth diapering her during the day for 1.5 mth.. But she keeps having diaper rash recurring within this 1.5 mth... I always apply nappy cream, I use disposible liners, I'd change her as soon as I know that she poops, if she didnt poo, I will normally change her after 4-5 hrs, at night I use the same disposable diaper brand I am using all these while, Ive also solved the diaper stain issue I had, I wash the cloth diaper every alternate days in the washing machine, but prior to that I have been diligently washing away the solids asap, soaked n rinse each diaper, etc...
I wonder wat else I shld do to prevent anymore rash??

Last edited:

meiteoh

4-5 hours is quite long, IMHO. I change my daughter every 3 hours and she's 16 mths old! Also, it could be the case of a reaction with the detergent; maybe try doing a strip washing with the diapers?

mrs_eg

4-5 hours is quite long, IMHO. I change my daughter every 3 hours and she's 16 mths old! Also, it could be the case of a reaction with the detergent; maybe try doing a strip washing with the diapers?
4-5hrs is long? Hmmmm.... Okay..... Maybe Id hav to shorten it... I tot modern cloth diapers are suppose to keep the skin surface drier than older versions... Hmmmm...
Anyway wat abt at nite? Do u cloth diaper as well? Or do u use disposable? And may i ask how often does a 16mths old poop... Do they pee lesser (frequency) too???

beerbelly

Hi mrs_eg!

It's best to change baby every 2-3hours, or when there is poop. What kind of rash is your girl having? Is it on the whole diaper area, on the bum, or on the front? There could be a few factors causing the rash

1) sensitivity to damp/wet diapers

2) detergent or ammonia build-up in diapers.

3) reaction to the diaper cream or application.

What kind of diaper cream are you using?

To check if the diapers have detergent build-up, you can take one or two inserts, put in a pail, fill with hot water, and squeeze the inserts a few times ( wear rubber gloves to protect hands). If you see suds, it means there is detergent left in the diapers. You will then need to wash your diapers and inserts 2-3 times on hot, w/o detergent, until you do not see suds in the washing machine water.

If she is sensitive to dampness, it may be better to use a fleece liner, rather than a disposable liner.

I doubt it is due to ammonia build-up, as this happens usually to older babies. But you can tell by smell. If there is a very strong pee/ammonia smell just after she pees, or even when fresh out of the wash, then it could very likely be ammonia build-up.

xicloudix

u can try strip wash the diaper first... in case there is any bateria build up... as u use nappy cream too... it affect the cloth diaper...

and then change her around 3hrs... wipe her every diaper change.... wash her butt more often...

my boy is now 7.5mths... started cloth diaper around 1 mth old... i have this prob before... and i realsied that its my diaper need strip wash coz i use diaper cream and there is some build up.... and i nv clean his butt clean during every diaper change... (tat was when he was around 2-3mths old)....

after i realised, i will clean/ wash more often... and air his butt before wearing diaper again... and change more often.... i do it very diligently until he recover... their skin now is very very sensitive... once they are older like my boy now, lesser chance have rash unless i forgot to change him or he nap very long...

BTW i use cloth diaper overnight for my boy also...u can try 2 inserts...

Last edited:

mrs_eg

Hmmm.... Very often her rash is consolidated at her anus area... Recently ard the front. They come in small patches redish bumps... I do use diaper cream (Pureen) each time but with liner... Even wif liner will affect the diaper still? And I use plain water and cottn wool to wash her each time I change her... Unless at nite I use baby wipes.

I do smell strong pee smell but only after 4-5 hrs of wearing... So i think it is normal i guess...

I think it is really time I do strip washing or the hot water method mentioned... Hot water can be used in PUL diapers? Wont melt the glue?

And also... Where can i get fleece liners in sin?

Xicloudix, do u change ur baby's diaper in the middle of the nite?? Still 3hrly??

xicloudix

Hi strong pee smell may means there is already build up inside... yes it can still affect the diaper even with liner... do place 2 piece of disposable liners (kiasu a bit, i always do so haha)

if i am not wrong, strip wash = use hot water.... what i usually do is soak the insert at boiling hot water first.... then wait the water cool down then put in the cover so it won't melt

u can try www.whoopeekiddies.com for washable liners.... but i would prefer disposables, can throw away....

nope i use 2 insert for overnight, nv change... from 9pm++ till morning 7.30am.... (until he is 7.5mths)

now he wanna slp earlier... around 8++ so i use normal with 1 insert only and change to the 2 insert diaper when i am abt to go slp around 12am.... and the 2insert are not full when i change him again at 7.30.... so far enough for me....

u can vie this website EverythingBabything.com Reading Room for more details for strip wash.... quite usefull...

beerbelly

Hi mrs_eg!

It is better to use cloth diaper-friendly creams for the diaper area, like Earth Mama Angel Baby, Northern Essence, CJ's BUTTer (which I am selling). Creams which contain zinc like Desitin, will cause build-up in the diapers, even with liners. You can try using 2 liners, but I just use CJ's BUTTer, and a fleece liner. I do use flushable liners sometimes, but I find fleece liners very comfy for baby. It's easy to use, now that my boy is a year old and his poop is not so runny.

I think Mummy to Baby Very has very useful info in her threads and her blog, on how to strip diapers. And also to test for diaper cream build-up.

For hot water washing, it I more for detergent and ammonia residue, whereby you use only hot water and no detergent to flush out any residue. Its best to wash the covers and inserts separately if you have the time. Inserts without snaps can be washed at very high temperatures, 60*c and above. Covers should be washed at around 40*c, altho PUL is meant to endure high temperatures, it is better to read and heed the manufacturers' instructions.

Does your girl's rash look like red patches with small bumps around the patches or just small red bumps?

Some diaper-free time will be good for her too. When she does wear a diaper, change her more frequently, every 2hours.

Sorry if there are any typos. I am replying thru my iPhone, and dunno how to scroll back, hehe

meiteoh

4-5hrs is long? Hmmmm.... Okay..... Maybe Id hav to shorten it... I tot modern cloth diapers are suppose to keep the skin surface drier than older versions... Hmmmm...
Anyway wat abt at nite? Do u cloth diaper as well? Or do u use disposable? And may i ask how often does a 16mths old poop... Do they pee lesser (frequency) too???
Do note that some rashes could be a sign of allergy. Eva suddenly develop a case of diaper rash when we switched baby wipes at around 2-3 mths old. It went away the moment I changed to my regular wipes again.

If between changing diapers, try making sure that your baby's skin is dry before you slap on the diaper rash cream as it acts as a barrier against moisture BUT will also keep in moisture if the skin is wet. Give him some diaper-free time as well if possible and sun his backside too whenever you can. Cloth diapers WILL leak if they get too full - the liquid has nowhere to go but outside - so it's unrealistic to expect cloth diapers to keep your baby's bum dry if you don't change frequently. Plus it depends on the type of insert - microfiber doesn't hold as much liquid as compared to bamboo and hemp.

Eva poops twice to thrice daily and because she drinks a lot, she pees a lot as well. So I change her quite often except at night. At night, she's on overnight diapers - one one-size bamboo insert plus two bamboo-hemp doublers. I have not used disposables since she was 3 months old except when we are visiting my parents in KL or away on holiday for more than a day.

As for washing PUL on hot water, just make sure that you check on the temp via manufacturer websites. I try washing one of my PULs with boiling hot water and the PUL layer separated from the fabric. Haiz. I believe everythingbabything.com has a good write up on that - strip washing, and what-not.

I remember reading somewhere about the difference between build-ups like ammonia and detergent in diapers and how to tell. Try googling to see what you can get, ya?

Mummy to Baby V

Hmmm.... Very often her rash is consolidated at her anus area... Recently ard the front. They come in small patches redish bumps... I do use diaper cream (Pureen) each time but with liner... Even wif liner will affect the diaper still? And I use plain water and cottn wool to wash her each time I change her... Unless at nite I use baby wipes.

I do smell strong pee smell but only after 4-5 hrs of wearing... So i think it is normal i guess...

I think it is really time I do strip washing or the hot water method mentioned... Hot water can be used in PUL diapers? Wont melt the glue?

And also... Where can i get fleece liners in sin?

Xicloudix, do u change ur baby's diaper in the middle of the nite?? Still 3hrly??
- Some babies, like my boy, have very sensitive skin. If so, when using baby wipes, rinse it with water before wiping baby.
Ideally, use cotton wool or cloth wipes with water only.

- 4-5 hours in PUL diaper could be too long for some babies. My boy always gets rashes when wearing PUL diaper for more than 4 hours, whether as a newborn or toddler. PUL could be slightly breathable or non-breathable, depending on its quality.

- Moreover, once pee-ed on, the stay-dry layer is contaminated by pee, and bacteria starts to breed. Long hours of contact would eventually lead to rash. Ideally, change baby every 2-3 hours in the day.

- At night, if baby's skin can tolerate PUL diaper, then it's fine to leave it on overnight when he's sleeping through. If baby has sensitive skin, then opt for highly breathable outer layer fabrics (either fleece or wool). My boy has eczema, so can't try wool. He used this from 2-9 months old: Review: Drybees Fleece Pocket Diapers | Mummy's Reviews

- Different brands of PUL can withstand different temperatures: cold (30-deg), warm (40-deg), or hot (60-deg). Using a higher temperature than recommended would shorten the PUL's lifespan, causing it to peel or de-laminate. Usually, very low-priced diapers can only take cold washes, since high-grade PUL is expensive. But price is not the best indicator. If temperature isn't stated on the laundry label, always check with the manufacturer.

- Washable fleece liners: try Whoopeekiddies.com or Tiny Pants (Bummis distributor)

xicloudix

HI, do you know where i can get the accessories ? for eg the fabric for cloth diaper? thinking of making some extension for my boy to standby, but can't find the PUL cloth...

my boy only around 8kg (7.5mths) he can wear XL diapers already !!!! where else his cousins, 2 mths older than him, wearing L....