money spent.

PTB7476

ooh. okie, thanks. :) do pple normally see seperate gynaes ?? like @ clinics, then deliver. or see the ones at the hospital ??
Only kkh subsidize patient see diff doc. As long as u are Pte patient and see a specific doc he or she will stick with u till birth unless u not satisfied with then and change to another yourself

ooh. okie, thanks. :) do pple normally see seperate gynaes ?? like @ clinics, then deliver. or see the ones at the hospital ??
There are the gynaes who have clinics in the neighbourhoods but deliver at pte hospitals (usually TMC). Most others are located in the hospitals. more convenient especially if you need to do detailed scans and are referred to sonographers. even senior consultants would refer to sonographers - first trimester screening and 20-week abnormality scan. I was with Dr Peter Chew and he would refer to sonographers to get these done.

On your other qns on gynaes to recommend and typical costs and when to see gynae:
My two babies were delivered by Dr Jasmine Mohd at KKH. She's away on study but i think coming back in Oct.

Average amount per visit - really can't recall but i think about $100? I see her in the evening clinic so the charges are a little higher for after hours plus for scans plus ECG almost every visit in the 2nd half of my 2nd pregnancy.

1st pregnancy - was away from Singapore in first trimester so only visited Dr Chew when i was entering 2nd trimester. then switched to Dr Jasmine cos Dr Chew's waiting times are impossible. 2nd pregnancy, saw the doctor right after i tested positive on home kit. i was quite sure i was about 5-6 weeks but the scan indicated 3+weeks. by second visit 3 weeks later, confirmed i was 8+weeks ;) 2nd pregnancy was more 'exciting' with visits every couple of weeks. but that's not the norm. typically, you would see the doc every 4 weeks until about 34-36 weeks when you would see the doc every week or two.

enjoy your pregnancy!! it's one of the most fulfilling times of your life ;)

babyturtle

There are the gynaes who have clinics in the neighbourhoods but deliver at pte hospitals (usually Thomson Medical Center). Most others are located in the hospitals. more convenient especially if you need to do detailed scans and are referred to sonographers. even senior consultants would refer to sonographers - first trimester screening and 20-week abnormality scan. I was with Dr Peter Chew and he would refer to sonographers to get these done.

On your other qns on gynaes to recommend and typical costs and when to see gynae:
My two babies were delivered by Dr Jasmine Mohd at Kandang Kerbau Hospital. She's away on study but i think coming back in Oct.

Average amount per visit - really can't recall but i think about $100? I see her in the evening clinic so the charges are a little higher for after hours plus for scans plus ECG almost every visit in the 2nd half of my 2nd pregnancy.

1st pregnancy - was away from Singapore in first trimester so only visited Dr Chew when i was entering 2nd trimester. then switched to Dr Jasmine cos Dr Chew's waiting times are impossible. 2nd pregnancy, saw the doctor right after i tested positive on home kit. i was quite sure i was about 5-6 weeks but the scan indicated 3+weeks. by second visit 3 weeks later, confirmed i was 8+weeks ;) 2nd pregnancy was more 'exciting' with visits every couple of weeks. but that's not the norm. typically, you would see the doc every 4 weeks until about 34-36 weeks when you would see the doc every week or two.

enjoy your pregnancy!! it's one of the most fulfilling times of your life ;)
oooh. okie !! :D thanks alot for the info. :)
will enjoy my pregnancy. hehe. :001_302:

Hi. I just joined the mummy forum, so technically I am relatively new. Still exploring. Heh.
Wud just like to know, anyone of you knows the estimated amt of money spent, from the start of pregnancy, til birth ??
what's MS ?? i just found out. so i'm kinda confused, cos i had to research up on alot of stuff, and still am researching up on it.

so the $700 package, covers from the 2nd til the last scan just before birth right ??

cos i'm prolly gonna just do the birth naturally. haha, c-sect sounds scary and painful. >.<
can check up hospital websites for rates (estimated)

other than hospital packages, other expenses depends on how much you want to spend, really. but it would be wise to invest in quality products which will last not only the first kid but beyond (if you are planning for more ;) )

can get hand me downs for clothes (but it's very hard to resist buying nice new clothes for your baby! haha! don't even know how much i have spent on these). Other stuff, may/should get them new - car seat (get convertible. i made the mistake of getting a capsule thinking it'll last for 9-12months but my son outgrew it by 4months... paid $300+ for the first convertible for my son at Mothercare. Paid only $199 at Taka fair for my daughter's. Brand is the First Year and super comfy!); stroller (some mommies say can get 2nd hand but i think quite icky cos you don't know the amount of droll and sweat that's collected in the nooks and crannies that you can't remove to wash. Paid about $1000 for 2 Maclarens and 1 combi. XT is super comfy but heavy. Combi has full recline and lightweight but a bit wobbly. volo good for toddler, is practical and lightweight), cot and mattress (must! can't remember how much these cost); breast pump (wait and see. you may or may not need it. I never thought i need it since i didn't think i would keep up with it for long but I now own two medela PIS... one for work and one for home. haha! first one imported from US and cost under SGD$500. Cheaper but more troublesome since shipping takes longer); steriliser (can't remember price for first one. 2nd one was $60/$70 at Carrefour baby fair)

Other things to consider:
confinement expenses - i DIYed for both babies with my mom cooking lunch for first one. 2nd baby - i just figured my way on what to cook/eat since my mom was looking after my son :)
sling - $40 approx if new. great for young babies
Ergo carrier - $200+ including sucking pads. i swear by this after my son hit 10kg at 5months. infant insert is another $45 or so. no need if you get sling
maternity clothes/bras/undies - woah! don't know how much i spent on these...
nursing bra/nursing wear - i like the bras from mothercare. 2pcs about $79? very good support
medical insurance for baby after he/she is born

don't mean to scare you but there are many other stuff not listed but they do add up. so bottomline is pick wisely and check for user feedback before investing in any equipment ;)

and yes yes, try to go natural. very rewarding experience :) there's difference in NVD with and without epidural though so good to check.

Last edited:
Hi. I just joined the mummy forum, so technically I am relatively new. Still exploring. Heh.
Wud just like to know, anyone of you knows the estimated amt of money spent, from the start of pregnancy, til birth ??

it depends on how you would carry out your pregnancy until the big day..

camom

If you are getting a confinement lady, don't forget to factor in the cost as well. I think the charges are now $1.8k onwards.

Gem2505

i went for first gynae visit to KKH (private clinic) at week 5+. empty sac. cant see from the tummy scan. have to use viginal scan thing. so i think u can visit when its ard 7-8 weeks. will be able to see heartbeat by then.

so far, my visit to KKH is ok coz i went for the private one. per consulation is about $60+.. only first consultation is alil more ex. you can visit which ever hospital u wan to deliver (probably somewhere near your place or ur workplace). When u decide which hospital to deliver, den u choose the gynae from there. see your budget around what range den u choose the hospital and gynae. =)

if you want to see KKH pricing on the gynae visits, here's the link.
Women - KK Women's and Children's Hospital

on the left hand side, u just click ard n see the different charges lo.

im with Dr Law, he is a consultant there. so far, im very satisfied with him.

Hope this helps!