mummies with babies with GERD (reflux)

epicurean

Angelmum,
Yeah, not having pantang people offering nonsensical suggestions would be such a relief. MIL is one of those 'fu shui' people ... she insisted on putting in his bath water, wiping his face with it. Hubby & I told her to stop it coz it was of no help whatsoever ... she continued doing it behind our back, convinced that she didn't use enough of it to be effective. Wah lao eh.

My pantang in laws believe that bb's condition is coz of his inauspicious birth hour ... hmm, can tell us something more useful & helpful to help him improve?? Kept questioning me if I attended funerals when I was pregnant ... wouldn't believe me when I replied I didnt at all. They also believe that bb will get better if he wears this piece of jade that they bought him plus old clothes worn by a normal baby who's hubby's cousin's son. If I roll my eyes anymore more, I'll be rolling them 360 degrees.

epicurean

Uddermummy,
For what it's worth, Dr Marion Aw told us that most reflux babies grow out of it as their tummy-opening-muscles strengthen over time. Agak-agak from 4 months to 18 months old unless they've got other conditions like my bb. Plus with medication to help and other lifestyle changes (positioning etc), your dd will feel better and happier when the acid reflux is under control.

What's with MILs and insensitive comments? One would think that since they've been thru' what we're going thru' now, they would have some empathy.

Don't let her get to you ... you're a good, strong mummy doing the best you can, given the challenging circumstances with your dd's reflux.

uddermummy

Angelmum,
If I roll my eyes anymore more, I'll be rolling them 360 degrees.
hahahaha. You are so funny!:tlaugh: But you really shouldn't try this out in front of your pantang in laws just in case they think that you are possessed and force you to drink fu shui!

epicurean

uddermummy,

Yeah, my in laws would very likely do that. mil actually puts fu shui into a squirt bottle and sprays her bedroom and almost entire house with it daily.

To save our sanity from their inane suggestions, in front of in laws, hubby & I go 'uh huh' to whatever they say, ignore all ridiculous comments and do our own thing.

Angelmum

uddermummy,

Yeah, my in laws would very likely do that. mother in law actually puts fu shui into a squirt bottle and sprays her bedroom and almost entire house with it daily.

To save our sanity from their inane suggestions, in front of in laws, hubby & I go 'uh huh' to whatever they say, ignore all ridiculous comments and do our own thing.

I trying otherwise often end up quarrel with my own mum!

hahaha ... angelmum, thanks for the graphical support!
:tlaugh:

uddermummy

I'm also v impatient. I tried to act dumb but in the end exploded when I couldn't take it any more. So now relations with the in laws are v tense.

Now I see the wisdom of marrying someone without parents...

epicurean

uddermummy,
A very wise move!

Btw, when's your appt with Dr Quek? Hope it's soon so that you can get medical help for your dd to ease her discomfort.

uddermummy

just went to nuh yesterday for the reflux.

prof quek was quite okay, altho i think initially he thought dd was just a normal spitter. Until dd spit up milk all over me. :(

he gave me omerprazole, which he said was an acid reducer, but i checked and it's classified as acid blocker.

is this med too strong for my dd's moderate reflux? I'm quite worried that the reflux will actually get worse if and when we have to stop the med.

epicurean

uddermummy,
You're right, omerprazole is an acid blocker. Dr Aw proposed giving my bb that if zantac (acid reducer) didn't work for him. He may think that your dd is suffering a lot of pain from the acid backing up into her esophageus and that's why he went for that med.

You remember, the "spilly babies" website? There's info about omerprazole & side effects. You observe 1st ... if really too strong, let him know at the next medical review. Usually it's a gradual weaning of the med when baby's condition improves ... according to Dr Aw, 1) direct weaning by decreasing dosage ... or 2) indirect weaning by keeping the same dosage while baby's weight increases.

The aim of zantac & omerprazole is minimise or stop acid from going into the esophageus so that the muscle can heal and strengthen to close the tummy opening to keep food & acid down as baby gets older. If the acid keeps burning that muscle, it doesn't have a chance to heal properly. Eventually as the muscle heals & is strong enough to close the tummy opening, then you won't need the med :)

uddermummy

my dd gagged on the medicine and threw up her previous feed when i tried to feed her yesterday morning. heart pains!

so far only succeeded in feeding her at night. You should have heard her screams!!! I think the med is really nasty tasting. Everytime i feed her the med, i feel like crying with her too.

I think i will ask him about trying zantac first...