mummies with babies with GERD (reflux)

uddermummy

uddermummy,
Have you had the follow-up consultation with Prof Quek yet? Is he able to shed any light on your dear daughter's gagging & coughing?

My baby started to gag & cough after he went on baclofen (muscle relaxant). We were warned about it increasing his amount of secretions (phlegm) coz it relaxes muscles in general, including throat area, so he swallows less and secretions will build up. So his gagging & coughing is usually to phlegm as he tries to clear it ... sometimes like those ' peks' at coffeeshops.

I'm not terribly sure about GERD-related gag & cough though I've read about it on GERD websites. One useful tip we've picked up is that your dear daughter is gagging & coughing and has trouble clearing whatever is in her throat, put her on her side and pat her back. That position helps to clear secretions safely.

yeah, just went for consultation today. dear daughter still on omeprazole but forgot to ask dr quek about the gag and cough thingy cos we were the last patients and the consultation was a bit rushed. am still wondering whether to switch to dr aw...

will try the patting on the side but the prob is that the coughing and gagging are v sudden.

Last edited:

uddermummy

hi paige!

i was also very happy when i found epicurean. :) it was like finding a gerd-mum soulmate!

hope that your baby is fine this week!

paigemummy

hi uddermummy,

its true that its so tough to find people who understands what we are going thru... i felt so alone for the past year and a half.. even hubby thinks i'm paranoid.. it gets really tiring..

so i'm grateful to be finally able to find like-minded moms!!

btw, while paige was hospitalised last yr for dehydration, prof quek was the doc in charge. Now that i've met Dr Aw yesterday,(just my own opinion and observation,) i do find Dr Aw more meticulous and understanding. U might want to have an appt with her once and you can judge for yourself which style suits u better.

uddermummy

hi uddermummy,

its true that its so tough to find people who understands what we are going thru... i felt so alone for the past year and a half.. even hubby thinks i'm paranoid.. it gets really tiring..

so i'm grateful to be finally able to find like-minded moms!!

btw, while paige was hospitalised last your for dehydration, prof quek was the doc in charge. Now that i've met Dr Aw yesterday,(just my own opinion and observation,) i do find Dr Aw more meticulous and understanding. you might want to have an appt with her once and you can judge for yourself which style suits you better.
oh dear, it must have really been stressful on you!

Yup, totally understand the paranoid part. Hubby leaves all the info searching to me and it really drives me crazy sometimes cos it's like, hello, please dont't do this!!! And I have to keep repeating myself. Sometimes, it's scary but I'm starting to wonder if I'm paronoid.

today was a bad day in terms of spit ups. dear daughter spit quite a bit of milk, especially before she slept.

her weight gain for the past 2 weeks was only 300g. :(

dont't know how to make her gain more weight. feed her more and she just pukes more.

i wanted to see Dr Aw too on Epicurean's recommendation but the wait was too long, so I saw Prof Quek instead. I know what you mean. Prof Quek is v fatherly but i always feel like there's like no planned- out treatment for dd and everything seems ad hoc. I guess I will switch to Dr Aw but I don't know how long I have to wait!

Last edited:

uddermummy

it's a v bad night/morning.

am wide awake and sleepless...

dd keeps waking up in pain, crying and spitting up milk.

finally caved in and gave her the pacifier. she's now finally in lala land.

thinking of staying up till 4 am for her next feed

epicurean

it's a very bad night/morning.

am wide awake and sleepless...

dear daughter keeps waking up in pain, crying and spitting up milk.

finally caved in and gave her the pacifier. she's now finally in lala land.

thinking of staying up till 4 am for her next feed
uddermummy,
*hugs* There're good nights and not-so-good nights when it comes our gerdlings.

Was there something that triggered this particularly bad bout of gerd in your dd?

From personal experience, please don't beat yourself up over your dd's weight gain by pegging her to supposed benchmark. I used to stress myself out by calculating the amount of milk that my bb was supposed to drink for his age & weight and get upset that he wasn't ... also kept fretting about his slow weight gain. Kept chasing some invisible goal posts.

Our babies will go thru' some growth spurts and some periods of slower growth. As long as they're healthy and putting on weight (no matter no little) and at med check, they're alright, it's really really ok.

One step at a time ... as you go feed by feed, day by day, at the next check-up, your dd may well surprise you with her weight gain :) That was what my bb did to us after 4 months of stagnant weight gain or some weight loss ... we were almost dancing with joy in the weighing room.

epicurean

will try the patting on the side but the prob is that the coughing and gagging are very sudden.
uddermummy,
Do you wanna try emailing Prof Quek about the coughing & gagging? There's a link on NUH website that allows you to find your doc and locate his/her email. So far I get prompt responses from his docs with my emails whenever things crop up with my bb in between med reviews.

My boy's coughing & gagging are also sudden coz of his phlegme situation. He could be sitting in his chair, lying down ... anytime anywhere. Whenever we see him having trouble clearing his secretions, we quickly put him on his side and pat him. The times when he doesn't cough out anything, that position usually calms him and he'll settle.

uddermummy

thanks, epicurean! You're also awake at this ungodly hour???

She's been having prob at night the past few days. She keeps wanting to suckle but then pukes up the milk. She seems to be quite uncomfortable when suckling. :(

Have been trying to pinpoint what i've done differently. Don't know if I've somehow overfed her. Can't be my diet cos I've cut out most diary products and soy products. Might be because her routine has been slightly out of whack these few days.

think dd sometimes gags on her own saliva cos she has like so much!!! Will def put her on the side to pat her when she chokes. This stupid mummy just puts her upright. :p

it's really stressful, isn't it when it comes to watching their weight? I always feel so stressed when I look at the amt of milk that she pukes out.

uddermummy

uddermummy,
Do you wanna try emailing Prof Quek about the coughing & gagging? There's a link on NUH website that allows you to find your doc and locate his/her email. So far I get prompt responses from his docs with my emails whenever things crop up with my baby in between med reviews.

My boy's coughing & gagging are also sudden coz of his phlegme situation. He could be sitting in his chair, lying down ... anytime anywhere. Whenever we see him having trouble clearing his secretions, we quickly put him on his side and pat him. The times when he doesn't cough out anything, that position usually calms him and he'll settle.
that's a good suggestion. :) but will refrain from emailing him now just in case this reinforces his impression of me as a panicky first-time mummy.:001_302:

jojoki

hello hello... wow midnight mummy club? been reading ur postings.. my bb pukes a lot too.. and i mean a lot! n the merlion thingy its a routine every afternoon.. i'm also wondering wats wrong with her.. but she is putting on weight leh.. n LOTS of weight too... n no pain.. but she just keep puking even hours after feed... mummy n baby like doing fashion show the whole day....i ;m wondering if shes too greedy n drink too much??

epicurean hows ur bb? hey wats ur babies names btw? mine is netanya.... :)

epicurean

thanks, epicurean! You're also awake at this ungodly hour???

She's been having prob at night the past few days. She keeps wanting to suckle but then pukes up the milk. She seems to be quite uncomfortable when suckling. :(

Have been trying to pinpoint what i've done differently. dont't know if I've somehow overfed her. Can't be my diet cos I've cut out most diary products and soy products. Might be because her routine has been slightly out of whack these few days.

think dear daughter sometimes gags on her own saliva cos she has like so much!!! Will def put her on the side to pat her when she chokes. This stupid mummy just puts her upright. :p

it's really stressful, isn't it when it comes to watching their weight? I always feel so stressed when I look at the amt of milk that she pukes out.
Hahah yeah I'm feeling a bit imsomniac. BB had a rather late feed from 12.15 to 12.55am ... after the post-feed 1-hr-carry and trying to sneak his ankle splints onto him, I tucked him into bed around 2am. After washing up and all, I couldn't sleep so caught up on some emails. I think my body clock is a bit cuckoo from all those refluxy nites with bb!

Sorry I'm not a breast-feeding mummy ... can't offer anything about your dd's discomfort at suckling. :embarrassed: For my boy, it's small, frequent feeds rather than large ones ... plus he takes out his sucking tendency on his beloved pacifier. I should buy stocks in Pigeon, seeing the quantity of Pigeon pacifiers that we stock up on.

It's ok, don't blame yourself ... they are able to clear secretions while being upright. When they have trouble, being on the side makes it easier.

Yeah, on his bad vom days with copious amount of milk on the floor, I do get upset. Then everyone takes a deep breath and resolve to try better for the next feed.

Angelmum

uddermummy,
Do you wanna try emailing Prof Quek about the coughing & gagging? There's a link on NUH website that allows you to find your doc and locate his/her email. So far I get prompt responses from his docs with my emails whenever things crop up with my baby in between med reviews.

wah NUH so friendly and helpful .... KKH everything is $$. Last time make me pay $5 for a copy of my OWN lab test result. Think nowadays, if u know the doc, they can close 1 eye if u need them to make copy of yr lab tests or fill up forms... problem is gal C class patient so cant get attached to 1 doc.

... mummy and baby like doing fashion show the whole day....i ;m wondering if shes too greedy and drink too much??
get a mummy bib :D

uddermummy

wah NUH so friendly and helpful .... Kandang Kerbau Hospital everything is $$. Last time make me pay $5 for a copy of my OWN lab test result. Think nowadays, if you know the doc, they can close 1 eye if you need them to make copy of your lab tests or fill up forms... problem is gal C class patient so cant get attached to 1 doc.

get a mummy bib :D
i also need a mummy bib!!!

uddermummy

epicurean, you've had a busy night!!! i'm also thinking of stocking up on pacifiers, but mine are nuk ones.

i just changed to dr aw cos her next appt is only 3 weeks away. the recept was actually asking me why i want to change. just told her friend recommended dr aw

oops, ntg. bb just pukrd on me again.

epicurean

hello hello... wow midnight mummy club? been reading your postings.. my baby pukes a lot too.. and i mean a lot! and the merlion thingy its a routine every afternoon.. i'm also wondering wats wrong with her.. but she is putting on weight .. and LOTS of weight too... and no pain.. but she just keep puking even hours after feed... mummy and baby like doing fashion show the whole day....i ;m wondering if shes too greedy and drink too much??

epicurean hows your baby? hey wats your babies names btw? mine is netanya.... :)
Hi jojoki!
Yeah, it's a gathering of midnight mummies hahaha. Your dd sounds like a happy spitter, or rather, happy puker. Babies of some friends of mine are like that too ... the mummies do attribute it to greed :wong19:

Yeah, it's also fashion show for me & bb :tlaugh: When we go out, I bring extra clothes for both of us!

It's a mixed bag of things for my bb. His GERD is under control but his hips are suspected to be dislocated from his constant stiffening (hyper tone). He's scheduled for hip x-ray in mid-July to determine how bad the dislocation is and to detect deformities if any. So everyday we aim to keep him happy & calm as much as possible coz that's when his hips are better & he doesn't pull them out.

Your dd's name is sweet & exotic :Dancing_tongue: My manja king is named Sebastien.

epicurean

epicurean, you've had a busy night!!! i'm also thinking of stocking up on pacifiers, but mine are nuk ones.

i just changed to dr aw cos her next appt is only 3 weeks away. the recept was actually asking me why i want to change. just told her friend recommended dr aw

oops, ntg. baby just pukrd on me again.
uddermummy,
Hope you managed to catch some shut-eye after last night with your dd.

On the matter of puke, do you have laundry issues with the puke smell? The best tip I ever received was to put baking soda into the rinse cycle ... it totally gets rid of the smell. Hahaha it was like such a revelation to me!

Glad you managed to get an appt to see Dr Aw :) Hang in there ...

RaInIe

hihi.. i m new in mummysg.. i would lyk to ask euu.. reflux n colic gt wad difference? hw cum baby so small hab to encounter so painful experience?

jojoki

hey i like the name sebastien..... my bb name actually lots ppl complain doesnt sounds nice but its actually the meaning that made me chose it... its a hebrew name bear meaning... Gift of God. I pray sebastien will be HAPPY EVERYDAY!!!! hope u'll have a sweet night tonight!!

jojoki

uddermummy,
Hope you managed to catch some shut-eye after last night with your dear daughter.

On the matter of puke, do you have laundry issues with the puke smell? The best tip I ever received was to put baking soda into the rinse cycle ... it totally gets rid of the smell. Hahaha it was like such a revelation to me!

Glad you managed to get an appt to see Dr Aw :) Hang in there ...
wow great tip!!! erm talk bout puke the bm is oily ha,,,

uddermummy

i think i'm used to the lack of sleep... :p

yeah, laundry sometimes will have that stale milk smell when we dont't wash it properly.

Where to get baking soda? the normal type for baking? Are you using a toploader or front loader? Must figure out how to stop the machine during the rinse cycle.

I'm using country wash and napisan, and most of the times they work quite well.