My 3mth old refusing his milk

SH74

it seems like a common thing to many newborns. i guess as long as ur boy is still drinking, no diarrhoea, no vomit,... shld b ok la. it's normal for new mom to b paranoid when our bb dun drink as usual.

cyssie

I think that i may be the time you can start with fruit juices/solids. You can try Heinz bottle food also.... It is said to start on solids after 4 months. If your baby nearly doubled his birth weight, you can start on solids. I have done the same for my 4 month old baby boy, when he was 3 month old...
Hi Kalyani,
You started solids with your boy when he was 3 months? Is that too early? I never expect to introduce solids that fast.. My boy has doubled his birth weight though..

velencetan

Hi!! I'm a new member. :) my baby girl has the same prob too. She was drinking formula with breast milk supplement as i do not have enough milk. All is fine til 2 months old she got phlegm thus din want to drink formula milk. We tried ways like diluting milk and interswap water w milk or pacifier w milk. And we changed the formula from enfalac to NAN HA. Ended up she only drink when she's semi conscious so din have prob at night. Now she's 3 and a half months old and got worse! She's drinking lesser than before and at night she wakes up making noise. At times give pacifier also dunwan, then offer water,she drink then swap to milk, drink 40ml then stop. Then eyes big big want to play! Champion! The prob with her now is that at times she'll drink when half asleep, around 90ml. at times 40 or 60ml. And no fix feeding time, at times prefer to drink water. At times dun even want water. My PD says she's playful, no choice. But i'm afraid she might not have enough nutrients cos PD says at tis age the daily consumption should be 700ml. But She has drop from 550-650 to now 450-600. Anyone who has the same prob as me and manage to find a solution? i just changed her formula to similac, seems that she's accept it better still during sleep but drank lesser than before. Help help..

littlerat

I think that i may be the time you can start with fruit juices/solids. You can try Heinz bottle food also.... It is said to start on solids after 4 months. If your baby nearly doubled his birth weight, you can start on solids. I have done the same for my 4 month old baby boy, when he was 3 month old...
Can anyone verify how true is this?? My boy has doubled his weight since birth though too.
Because my baby also have the same problem now at 3 mths plus close to 4. He is on TBF with one feed on formula before sleeping. His problem is he is very playful when suckle onto breastmilk suck for a few minutes then stop drinking anymore, doesn't cry for hunger and can still continue to play with you. Weight was not lost neither is there any gain. So I also worry what is happening to him. Any advise??

antonia

My 3mths baby also refuse to drink his milk. He was on BM, then I gradually intro FM. Now on full FM as I am going back to work. He started to have this prob since a few weeks back. He went on for 14 hrs without milk once.

We brought him to PD, checked him to see if he has ear infection etc that could make drinking milk painful. He is clear of these probs. PD say as long as he is gaining weight he is ok, his system is adjusting as his weight gain has been very rapid (but my son not overweight at all) and now slowing down. On the 2 days he went on milk strike (he drank only around 3 feeds of 7 oz each), he became less chubby.

My MIL suggested changing FM brand. Out of desparation, we changed from Similac to Nan 1. Don't know if it is coincidence, he drank every drop of Nan. Then after 1 week plus (we were just thru half way of the 2nd small tin of Nan), he started to refuse his milk again. When he began his first signs of rejecting some feeds, we got another brand of milk ready, this time Mamex Gold. Yesterday, he refused to drink his Nan milk again, and we swapped immediately to Mamex, he finished the milk.

I don't think it is a good idea to keep changing FM, but what is really wrong with baby ?

huiboonimini

Same here. everything was well until 1 week ago. Initially we thought was pacifier & milk bottle teat confusion & we still think so now. Therefore, we totally cut her away from pacifier (I wonder if this is the correct decision as she cries even more). She would prefer to suck on the pacifier/ her own hand than drinking milk. Almost every feeding is a struggle, midnight feedings are better.

Has anyone been through all these & survive? Kindly advise, thanks!

bingo5

HI all,

My bb also lehz. Is only after her illness at 4mth old, she starts to drink 40ml only. Right now she is 7mths old n starts to cut her first tooth. I tot becos of teething she will refuse the milk but PD told mi not true leh. She said teehing also will drink milk.

How ar? worst thing nw is she is also refusing to eat porridge,she will scream n cry once she saw mi puttin the food to her mouth. Dont know if is having sore throat or wat,can hear her voice a bit hoarse. She jus recovered from fever n rashes.

haiz

littlerat

May I know whether all these are happening from the same age group? Around 3-4 months old. Just wondering if these symptoms are normally found from these age group babies or not ... still trying to figure out mine on what's going on with him ....

Ottermum

My boy just turned 3 months and he was on milk strike too since last Wed. So we cut the teats to make the holes slightly bigger... on Sun he started drinking again...though once in a while he'll grumble while sucking and uses his hands or his tongue to push the bottle away...I'm keeping my fingers crossed hope his milk strike ends soon n completely!! Other than cutting the teats I also loosen the bottle teat cap a little bit before feeding him...when he grumbles I'll burp him n give both of us a break before continuing feeding...so far so good I hope the situation improves soon! There was once he didn't urinate for 8 hours I was soooo worried!! Good luck mummies be patient!!

Queenbabe

My DS last9 also dont 1 2 drink milk , he is 4 months now . Until now he do drink abit then cry & scream . Im really worry , Should i bring him to PD ? I almost going crazy from last9 . He just keep sucking his pacifier then went to sleep .
Omg help me!

autumn82

My boy just turned 3 months and he was on milk strike too since last Wed. So we cut the teats to make the holes slightly bigger... on Sun he started drinking again...though once in a while he'll grumble while sucking and uses his hands or his tongue to push the bottle away...I'm keeping my fingers crossed hope his milk strike ends soon n completely!! Other than cutting the teats I also loosen the bottle teat cap a little bit before feeding him...when he grumbles I'll burp him n give both of us a break before continuing feeding...so far so good I hope the situation improves soon! There was once he didn't urinate for 8 hours I was soooo worried!! Good luck mummies be patient!!
My DS was also like tt ard tt age. We just changed to a bigger size teat and stuff one of his hand under our armpit and grab the other hand of his and feed him, so he can't push it away.. :tlaugh:Forced feed. :p

Joyjoy

my gal oso 3mths...she refused milk too when changing to bottlefeed. She rather wait for me to be back from work then suck the bottles... i guess all these are jz her way of communcating that "she wants mummy". so i jz try to feed her as much as possible and monitor her growth and intake at night. Yday was my first day @work and in notice she is drink much more at night.
So u guys dun worry too much.

Ottermum

I guess we just gotta be patient... eventually your bbs will cry for milk...when they are hungry/thirsty...

maybe it's time to change to medium size teats??

remember don't cap the bottle too tight...

worrying doesn't help...as long as your bb's happy n lively i think it's still fine...

if not better go consult a PD

Good Luck!

almond

My 3 months old DS also have is problem currently... last sunday is the worst... refuse to drink for 15 hours... freaked me out...

But i might had discovered the problem. My DS seems to be suffering from blocked nose, so that means, he can't breath when he is drinking. brought him to a family doctor yesterday, and got a nasal decongestant solution from him.

Now, he is not rejecting his milk already.
Hope that this little info helps....