My baby is a light sleeper

smartkel

Alpha Male
I have read the forum about baby crying now and then esp at night. My baby just turn 1 month old and like many other babies, he will also cry at night. We fed him milk and then pat him to sleep. But problem is he is a very light sleeper. A slight noise or motion will wake him up and then we will have difficulty to pat him to sleep. We try not to use yao lan as my parents are strongly against that.
Is there any good and proven methods to coax him or help him to sleep better? If he sleep better, both me and my wife will also get to rest more.

apollo

I have read the forum about baby crying now and then esp at night. My baby just turn 1 month old and like many other babies, he will also cry at night. We fed him milk and then pat him to sleep. But problem is he is a very light sleeper. A slight noise or motion will wake him up and then we will have difficulty to pat him to sleep. We try not to use yao lan as my parents are strongly against that.
Is there any good and proven methods to coax him or help him to sleep better? If he sleep better, both me and my wife will also get to rest more.
it is good that ur parents strongly against the idea of using yaolan, cos some grandparents will encourage it.

did u swaddle ur baby? actu i dun really encourage swaddling cos i feel tt a baby shd be 'free' from all the swaddling so their limbs can 'exercise'. but if ur bb is a light sleeper, u can try the swaddling method, it can give bb sense of security. pacifier also can gives bb sense of security (this is what my pd told me) but some parents are against it.

ds is also a light sleeper, but if we leave the purifier on, he will sleeps better. if the purifier is not on, the whole room will be v quiet and any slight noise outside the room will wake him up easily.

Phoebii Cheng

I think if ur bb is a light sleeper, then use whatever method to make him sleep longer if I were u.....even though, yao lan, swaddling, or pacifier....so long as he get to sleep otherwise both u & ur wife will have not enough sleep and it will not be good for both of u......if u r both working

ling.er

My son is 2mth plus nw aso a ligh sleeper.. .. abit of noise he can be wake.. So i use to carry & swaddle him ... After tat i put him on bed .. SOme time he will wake up = = I didt use yaolan as my hubby dun wan . It make mi very tired or swaddle him.. As my arm tired as well.. ..

As when he fall aslp some time 30mim or 1hr will sudden wake up@@ .. So need to swaddl back.. .. Y.Y Hope our baby will rest more so tat we can rest too :wong19::wong19:

lekdao

Not good using yaolan?

How abt carry/swaddling the baby to sleep then put them into the yaolan? Guess they feel secure when they sleep in yaolan.

angelwendy

my boy also like that when he is 1 months plus... so we got no choice but to intro yao lan to him... but only for nap... at night i will pat him in his cot... i think actually yao lan is not a bad ideal... but of course it depends on urself...:tlaugh: if not the end of the day.. u will be very very tired.. not enough sleep... my boy last time will jump up even a little bit of noise will keep him wake up... so i just try to coax him back to sleep... don't worry... they will outgrow that stage...

ling.er

MIL juz mention to my hubby say tat to install yao lan for son ... Cos he slp awhile then wake up also nt good for him.. Then @ there keep yawn .. Wanna Swaddlto slp nt easy ><"
I try pat him to slp then put in cot alrd no use he will sudden wake up = ="
If no other choice i gues i will install Yao Lan . Same as Angelwendy mummy for nap ..:wong19:

smartkel

Alpha Male
My baby also dun like pacifier. We try not to use that but one time, my wife really cannot stand him crying and pop in the pacifier into baby mouth. He refused to suck and throw it out immediately.

Also when baby is tired, he will cry and throw tantrums and we swaddle him and pat him but most of the times, he will kick and struggles. We are at wits end and lucky my mother is still very skillful to pat him to sleep.

smartkel

Alpha Male
by the way some mummies suggest to play baby lyllabies to coax them to sleep. Will that be useful? Any suggested songs or albums that is good and effective?

edie

Hello! My baby girl is same as yours, she gets extremely cranky and kept crying when it's nap time and bedtime, she's 3 month old now but i still have to rock her to sleep. She was a very light sleeper also until I put her to sleep tummy down with aircon on for naps.

For bedtime, introduce bedtime routine so your baby will know it's time for good solid sleep. You observe and see from what time to what time your baby sleeps the longest then start the bedtime routine about one hour or when he's in a better mode. They might get cranky halfway but just do what you have to do then soothe him to sleep by nursing or rocking. And yes, I do swaddling until she about 11 weeks. I think it's godsend, dont't swaddle with napkin, they sure will kick their way out, but those Velcro kiddopotamous swaddle me or ergo cocoon.

I used one particular classical music during bedtime nursing and kept it on repeat mode Until she falls asleep on my iPod touch. Sometimes I'll leave the itouch by her bedside, it's like a cue to her that it's time to sleep. But I'll suggest you use white noise like rainforest sound or just white noise cos it's less complicated for them. You can use a radio and tune to those without station or download white noise app on your iPhone/itouch(but battery runs out very fast!)

Check the temperature of the room make sure it's cool enough and lastly feed your baby until he super full, he should be able to sleep well.

Hope it helps!

smartkel

Alpha Male
Hello! My baby girl is same as yours, she gets extremely cranky and kept crying when it's nap time and bedtime, she's 3 month old now but i still have to rock her to sleep. She was a very light sleeper also until I put her to sleep tummy down with aircon on for naps.

For bedtime, introduce bedtime routine so your baby will know it's time for good solid sleep. You observe and see from what time to what time your baby sleeps the longest then start the bedtime routine about one hour or when he's in a better mode. They might get cranky halfway but just do what you have to do then soothe him to sleep by nursing or rocking. And yes, I do swaddling until she about 11 weeks. I think it's godsend, dont't swaddle with napkin, they sure will kick their way out, but those Velcro kiddopotamous swaddle me or ergo cocoon.

I used one particular classical music during bedtime nursing and kept it on repeat mode Until she falls asleep on my iPod touch. Sometimes I'll leave the itouch by her bedside, it's like a cue to her that it's time to sleep. But I'll suggest you use white noise like rainforest sound or just white noise cos it's less complicated for them. You can use a radio and tune to those without station or download white noise app on your iPhone/itouch(but battery runs out very fast!)

Check the temperature of the room make sure it's cool enough and lastly feed your baby until he super full, he should be able to sleep well.

Hope it helps!
Thanks Edie for sharing. My baby just turn 1 month old. Is it comfortable for him to sleep tummy down? Unfortunately I am still staying with my parents for the time being. Room has aircon but she forbids us to on it due to high utility bills. You know old folks lah.
As for the white noise app, i can ask my wife to search for the app tonight. Hopefully it helps to make baby sleep better tonight!

edie

I let my girl sleeps either tummy down and side sleep when she was about 3 weeks old. If not will be swaddling but if she don't on air con it'll be too warm. Why not you try turning on the aircon for 3 hours in the evening and the rest of the night use fan? At least is cooler. But try not to rock or swing your baby to sleep cos that's the only way now to get her to sleep, v tiring.

smartkel

Alpha Male
maybe i shall try to let my baby sleep tummy down tonight and see if it helps. I have downloaded some white noise music and tried it yesterday night. Will have to monitor over several nights to see if it's effective method.

angelwendy

Thanks Edie for sharing. My baby just turn 1 month old. Is it comfortable for him to sleep tummy down? Unfortunately I am still staying with my parents for the time being. Room has aircon but she forbids us to on it due to high utility bills. You know old folks .
As for the white noise app, i can ask my wife to search for the app tonight. Hopefully it helps to make baby sleep better tonight!

but when u put them to sleep on tummy... try to keep a lookout when they r older... because sometime they will face down on the mattress..

angelwendy

maybe i shall try to let my baby sleep tummy down tonight and see if it helps. I have downloaded some white noise music and tried it yesterday night. Will have to monitor over several nights to see if it's effective method.
i think white noise it depend on each babies... is not working for mine...:tlaugh:

edie

Tummy down: have to make sure that your mattress is firm and breathable. I'm using babysafe.

White noise: intro white noise when ur baby is calm and quiet and sleepy, so that the next time when u play te same white noise the baby will be able to associate that noise as bedtime and will be able to calm.

I read elizabeth pantley's no cry sleep solution and find that it's v useful, you might want to buy/borrow.

Justina

Young babies are less sensitive to day and night. I know how deprived of sleep you are because I've been there. The good news is there is an eguide to help your baby (as young as 6 weeks old) to sleep through the night. It takes the next 3 consecutive nights to put the eguide into practice. The eguide is FREE for download.

ling.er

NO other choice .. So to install YaoLan for my son.. .. AS angelwendy mummy say too it nt a bad ideal.. Try out yday & today .. Able to nap up to 3hr ( Feeding Time )

So for those baby diff to nap can intro them yaolan .. .. As for nap in cot or playpen ^^ :shyxxx:

JPng

my gal is currently 2mths plus and is also a light sleeper and she doesn't like sleeping on her side. we have not try tummy sleep, but she simply loves to sleep on her back n wif her arms up. this result in her getting a fright by noises...
during the day, she can sleep on her own. try stroking her head lightly n pat her to sleep. then leave the room. u can try the (the rotating toys with lullaby tune) and clip it to the baby cot. the baby can "Self-entertain" themselves and eventually sleep when they get tired...
at nite, she sleeps wif us.

ling.er

T.T only few day my son like use to Yaolan alrd... Nigh time after feed .. I pat & rock him to slp he dun wan.. keep crying.. No choice i put him in yaolan then he silent = ="

I really duno wat to do ><" As i dun wan slp in yaolan for nigh time..