My BB dislike porridge, especially fish

vonn81

Is it ok for my DD not to take porridge?? She is 8 mths already leh...tried giving her fish porridge.when she is 7mths. she ate a few mouthful then she doesnt want anymore. now tried using pork to cook the porridge so that it will be a bit sweeter..i added vege, eg broccoli or spinach to it, that she will eat more. but she still prefer heniz bottle food like apple & banana cereal or nestle oats with prune or apple cereal...is it because of the flavour?? or the texture?? any mommies have this problem??

veronica

Did you try different texture? Dont have to take fish everyday if she doesnt like lor...I only gave my son once or twice a week. Can alternate other dishes like vege or pork...

limsc74

hi vonn81 try not to give ur baby now cos fish will cos allergy at such young age. i use to boil chicken soup make into ice cubes evey time i cook i'll jus take from the freezer and cook with porridge. you can try steam potatoes smash and feed her. some kids might not be ready fot solid foods at this age. slowly take ur time.

Sera Cheng

have to keep trying, my son now coming to 7 months also behave like this initially.
sometimes, i just steam a piece of fish and let him eat alone, he enjoys it!:Dancing_wub:

CanCanMum

my boy is still eating fish porridge cooked with vege and pork at this age.

its ok not to take porridge if they dun like, but for fish its still good for them to eat coz fish has most nutrients.

maybe u can steamed fish alone and let her eat?

my son loves steamed pumpkin....u can try tat with fish coz pumpkins are naturally sweet.

lis

it's normal if ur child dun wan porridge..maybe they dun like the soft texture..for my son..he oso dun like to eat aniting soft..so i tried giving him rice..n he likes it alot..

so it's ok mahz..! let them eat the rice w soups..so it'll not b too dry for them..

have u try giving ur child rice..? if not,then u might wanna try..

CanCanMum

rice w/ soup can give only if your child can chew and has the teeth to chew...otherwise they canx digest the rice bits properly.

vonn, if yr baby likes baby cereal just continue with that, maybe shes accustomed to the flavour liaoz.... instead steam fish alone and mash it up and feed her....at least she gets the meat proteins.

vonn81

Did you try different texture? Dont have to take fish everyday if she doesnt like lor...I only gave my son once or twice a week. Can alternate other dishes like vege or pork...
hi veronica, yes i tried different texture. I didnt give everyday. porridge only give 2-3 times a week. not everytime fish also. had intro pumkin sweet potato too.. pork( big pieces) i only use it to cook with porridge then after take out le :)

hi vonn81 try not to give ur baby now cos fish will cos allergy at such young age. i use to boil chicken soup make into ice cubes evey time i cook i'll jus take from the freezer and cook with porridge. you can try steam potatoes smash and feed her. some kids might not be ready fot solid foods at this age. slowly take ur time.
hi limsc74, i tot fish is very good?? it ok to give fish compared to other seafood right?? so far i tested no allergy. yup i gave mash potatoes even mix with broccoli, she loves it. actually she start her semisolid food when she is 5 mths plus. she is ready too. i gave her all pureed fruits and vege. many varities too. only started giving her porridge recently ard 7 mth plus. so i was thinking mayb is the texture not like purees so she is still not accepting bah...i heard some mummies gave bb porridge straight away when bb start semi solid food. but i din, i move on slowly...fr plain rice cereal to puree then to porridge...hmm... your idea not bad..maybe i should tried freezing chicken stocks like you do...:)

vonn81

have to keep trying, my son now coming to 7 months also behave like this initially.
sometimes, i just steam a piece of fish and let him eat alone, he enjoys it!:Dancing_wub:

Maybe should try that..what fish u giving him?? :)

my boy is still eating fish porridge cooked with vege and pork at this age.

its ok not to take porridge if they dun like, but for fish its still good for them to eat coz fish has most nutrients.

maybe u can steamed fish alone and let her eat?

my son loves steamed pumpkin....u can try tat with fish coz pumpkins are naturally sweet.

ya lor i know fish is good and they need protein now too. pumkin i got give either with porridge or pureed. but nv tried with fish lah, mayb can try bah.

she is teething now, but still best not to give minced meats now right?? like chicken or pork...only use to cook with porridge for flavour right??

how many meals u give ur son when he is 8 mths old?? :)

vonn81

it's normal if ur child dun wan porridge..maybe they dun like the soft texture..for my son..he oso dun like to eat aniting soft..so i tried giving him rice..n he likes it alot..

so it's ok mahz..! let them eat the rice w soups..so it'll not b too dry for them..

have u try giving ur child rice..? if not,then u might wanna try..
Ya like cancanmum said...think too young for rice bah...my gal like soft food. when she take something hard she will use her tongue to push out the thing arh...hehe

rice w/ soup can give only if your child can chew and has the teeth to chew...otherwise they canx digest the rice bits properly.

vonn, if yr baby likes baby cereal just continue with that, maybe shes accustomed to the flavour liaoz.... instead steam fish alone and mash it up and feed her....at least she gets the meat proteins.
ya i think i will still give her cereal its easier too especially when gg out. but hor fish like theadfin steam le smash also very flacky leh..dunno she ok or not. somemore she doesnt like warm food.so by time room temp hard liao worz... :(

CanCanMum

Maybe should try that..what fish u giving him?? :)

ya lor i know fish is good and they need protein now too. pumkin i got give either with porridge or pureed. but nv tried with fish lah, mayb can try bah.

she is teething now, but still best not to give minced meats now right?? like chicken or pork...only use to cook with porridge for flavour right??

how many meals u give ur son when he is 8 mths old?? :)
For the fish always give Threadfin. Tats the most nutritious fish ever existed for a baby! hahahaha....oso bones are big so easier to see and pick out.

hmmm.....when he was 8 months old only gave 1 meal of porridge during lunch time. (My mum cook de la) and morning i will give him Frisocrem 2 full bowls for breakfast. Other than that all milk liaoz.

i neber gave minced meat, pork or chicken. Only used tat to cook stock for the porridge den discard. Too young for them to chew the meat coz its hard to digest oso....unlike fish is in flakes and can breakdown easily, meat is in chunks and no matter how minced its still in pieces....

anyway pumpkin can only give once a week hor, dun give too much coz will cause baby to be yellow.....dink its due to Vitamin A or somedin.

limsc74

hi vonn81.i've seen some kids taking fish or dried scallop with porridge at small age and they start to develope eczema and cough. and my doc did give me a food allergy list to avoid for kids.

vonn81

i was tempted to give dried scallops but scared that she is too young. but i tot fish is ok cos many mummies even the olden days fish was given to baby...hmmm....mayb only certain fish?? i'm sure not all types of fish can be given to baby at young age bah...

CanCanMum

hi vonn81.i've seen some kids taking fish or dried scallop with porridge at small age and they start to develope eczema and cough. and my doc did give me a food allergy list to avoid for kids.
is this true???

my boy eats fish everyday worh....

wad kindo fish cannot give?

i only heard that fishes high in mercury levels cannot be given...not sure which ones but ThreadFin is the most commonly cooked fish for babies, passed down so many centuries oredi, known as good and best fish for young children....

HappyMommy

my BB also dont like porridge. tried both white rice and brown rice before. he prefers the brown rice but still he doesnt take much. i tried to cook with pork just for the essence, together with carrot, potato and spinach. he doesnt take much. then tried to cook the veg separately from the porridge and he prefer it that way better but still he doesnt eat much.
he likes his cereal so much better but i also scared that he gets too heaty from it.
btw mummies, how soft do u cook the porridge till? my bb is now 8 mths. cooking brown rice porridge really takes a long long time.

CanCanMum

when my boy was around tat age we cooked rice until its almost invisible....its like mashed potato consistency.

we used electric cooker to cook, 3 hours in total.

one tip tat my mums friend used to share with us is tat prior to cooking, u can put the rice into a bowl of water and let it soften the grains before putting into the stove to cook (soak in water about 30 mins beforehand)....will lessen the time needed to cook till mashed potato consistency - ie invisible rice grains.

vonn81

yaya i heard of that too ... can i ask how many times do u still feed your bb with milk ( if breastfeeding) they started on semi solid?? having 2 meals a day...what i did now is i gave her milk in the morning then ard 11.30am i will feed her the porridge or cereal follow by BM if she is not eating much. then ard 3pm i will feed her BM only...sometimes in between will have snacks and apple drink. then 6.30pm will be her dinner. same if she isnt eating much of the food i will give her BM. then 9pm or 10 pm will give her BM again before she sleeps around 11 plus.. is it ok?? will my breast milk drop tremendously?? cos if after meal i'm not feeding her with BM means only about 3 times of BM leh...thanks thanks

CanCanMum

orrhs, i only substitute one meal with semi-solids...means:

1) breakfast 8.30am = alternate days cereal / milk

2) lunch 12pm = baby porridge

3) tea break = milk / cereal , also alternate, everyday wil hav fruits.

4) dinner 6.30pm = milk

5) before bedtime = milk

Milk is still the main source of food at this age coz it contains nutrients needed for their growth.

vonn81

oh i see...at 1st i only gave 1 meal... then after 1 mth i gave 2 meals..but since i already started on 2 meals le still want to stop?? think just continue bah...ya i knew that milk is still their main source that why at 1st before i gave her food i will feed her with BM 1st then follow by food. after a period of time i slowly reduce cos her intake of food increases...mayb try to feed her more BM bah...