My dept closing down ;(

flyaway

Hi Mummies,

Just received bad news that my dept is closing down. I am at a lost cos I can't decide what I should do. Heard that we can disperse and join other teams or opt for retrenchment package. Although my estimated package is not alot but I think I can still get by until end of the year if I spend money carefully...

I don't have much commitments on hand so don't have to worry. The things is that i don't feel good that I wont have any income for the next few months until I secure a job. At the same time, I do wish to spend time with my baby who is only 6 months old, yet don't want to burden DH financially without a job.

DH wants me to stay put cos a job is better than no job in this kind of market...I do wish to change job cos I have been in admin for long plus I got my degree 2 yrs back and have not utilise it yet (due to family planning). Now at 30, I wonder if it is too late to change my career?

What would you do if you were me?

stonston

Flyaway, if I'm you, I'll stay on cos in this uncertain times, having an income is better. But I'll keep a lookout for a new job related to the degree :) So if a better offer comes along, just change job :)

perrier

well if the retrenchment benefit can last you a few months and your husband can still afford to support you if you don't work, i think is the best time to venture out and change a job. of cos' provided if your husband is willing to stand by you.

it will be a pity not being able to try something that you wanted to or worst till live in regret.

i would say go for it! :Dancing_wub:

CanCanMum

flyaway babe~~

If you are going for the option of : "can disperse and join other teams" , you can always, at the same time keep a lookout for other better opportunities related to your degree while you are still employed.

If you are going for the retrenchment benefits in which the $$ can last you till end of the year, you need to weight the pros and cons. Family wise you can spend more time with baby and more bonding. Career wise, your portfolio will indicate you are "in between jobs". Also with an Employer's mentality they will find people still working to be more "employable" in their sense. Also you may need to be prepared to accept a lower salary than what you are getting now coz of your many years experience in admin position.

In comparison to the two, the first option seems better (from my own viewpoint) becoz you are able to get income as well as switch to your degree related job without much interference financially. Only thing is that you can only spend time after work to bond with your little baby.

Since you mentioned that you do not wish to burden your dear husband financially i would encourage you to go for the first option, stay in the job but keep a lookout for job opportunities.

As a full time working mum, my son has also bonded with me very well. Although i would sometimes wished that i had more time to spend with him. On weekends i still need to work so nowadays i treasure very much my time spent with my son and my hubby. Have to make sacrifices to sleep less in order to finish up my work. No choice.

Good luck~hope you make your best decision.:tlaugh:

shopaholic

Your situation sounds rather similar to mine. More than 2.5 years back, I know my division was undergoing some restructuring and the option give to us was to join other divisions. There werent talks abt retrenchment though. However, I decided to look elsewhere for a career change. In my opinion, 30 is definitely not too old to mk a change and I did that at age 31. If I join other division, I would still hv to learn things from scratch, work under a new boss etc, and worse, some may think they are doing me a favour by taking me into their division, so I thought, why not venture out and prove my worth?

Indeed, it was with no regrets. I got offers with more than 20% higher pay and I'm learning new things at my new organisation. Yes, the economy was better back then but even now, I would hv done the same.

flyaway

I am still stuck in a dilema...company has not found a suitable position for me yet as no headcount. The worst thing is that I found that I am 1 month + pregnant. How worse can the situation be?

I am not sure if I should continue to hunt for a job given the fact that I am pregnant. Should I remain in my company and take up whatever job that is offered to me? Seemed to be under the mercy of HR…

I feel that now I can’t even focus on career change due to the little one inside.
I was thinking of doing some freelance in make up and internet biz. But hubby think its not advisable due to recession time.

I hate the fact that I maybe discriminated by future employers given my status. Wish to be a SAHM until I delivered. However, this decision will definitively burden DH financially and mentally…haiz

leongve

Now that you are with a little one inside, I think the most ideal choice is to stay put and wait for an internal openning. dont't bother with how others look at you cos at this point of time no other employer will take you in cos they still have to give you 4months maternity leave. If you dont't tell your new boss about your pregancy you will get black marked. If you current company can find another opening for you, you still continue to draw a salary and enjoy your 4 months maternity leave.

Trying something new now will add additional stress and pressure unless you are one who is not easily affected.

Last edited:

leongve

Now that you are with a little one inside, I think the most ideal choice is to stay put and wait for an internal openning. dont't bother with how others look at you cos at this point of time no other employer will take you in cos they still have to give you 4months maternity leave. If you dont't tell your new boss about your pregancy you will get black marked. If you current company can find another opening for you, you still continue to draw a salary and enjoy your 4 months maternity leave.

Trying something new now will add additional stress and pressure unless you are one who is not easily affected.

flyaway

Thanks for the advice.

I am staying put in the same co. I went for internal interviews already and realised that the new job scope seemed to be anti-pregnancy cos the job scope much fast paced etc. They keep asking how is my current child care arrangement etc. I also dunno how to put it to my new boss (if I am selected) that I am pregnant. Sigh. How?

leongve

Wow! If I am you, I will be at a lost too, it is really too much to handle.

Nevertheless, I felt that it is always good to be truthful. If your transfer go thru’ successfully and your new boss is not informed about your pregnancy she is going to get real mad. Not only that but the rest of the people in the division is not going to be happy as you are suppose to share their job scope and lighten their burden but here you are going to be missing for 4 months. If your new boss accept you despite the fact that you are pregnant than she is prepared and is responsible to answer to the rest of the team. In work, I believe it takes two hands to clap and to be alone without support in a team is going to be very tough. Working individual spends 1/3 of their day in office and thus it would not be easy for you if you are already “bad marked” at the start.

No matter what your decision is, I wish you all the best.

jaymumys

Hi.Something to share with you, maybe it'll give you a guideline where to head.
i'm also in my 30. I quitted my job to take care of my child for a period few years ago doin only freelance projects. & being in design line. by taking a break for our line is a dangerous thing, it's like breaking away from the world of all communication. Our line has to catch up with trend all the time, can't let loose. But I know that I have to spend that precious quality time with my son, at least during his period of 18mths whereby he goto undergo alot of changes.

& to be frank with you, we were owing banks quite a sum as i was preg right after wedding & house reno. how bad rite? I got a very understanding hubby whom encourage me to do it. as i'm having some preg hormones change and I can't take the stress also.

After nearly 2yrs of break, coming back to society was not EZ. Finding a proper job took my almost half a your. Was selected by a few companies, Rejected their offer but got a feel that they are taking advantage that I "stopped" work during this period, and was not able to catch up the "trend", thus offer me really low pay.
& plus I've got a child, they also ask me whether am i planning for a 2nd child, what am i going to do with my 1st child, who take care of him if he's sick blah blah blah.......

Finally, found a job and landed it with a better pay, but defintely not better than my last job. now more matchable to my last pay, but still not there. After that we took a very tough half year, to pay off all loans.

My point of view:
• What is more important? Baby? Health? Money?

• I believe that it's always good to move on as you already had a degree afterall, but not now. Not because you're expecting your 2nd baby. It's going to be really giving yourself even more pressure. Going for interview with pregy, it's really very stressful.
Why wanto stress yourself like that? First trimester is very important period to take care of your foetus.

• If were to stay on current job, with the new dept boss still contempt to offer you the job due to 2nd baby. If i'm you, I think i'd think of letting him know that I'm willing to take only 1 & 1/2 month of break, then the rest of the break will then be taken much later.
(I'm not sure what job you are being offered, but it's another challenge if it's entire new thing. So in the end, you may or may not last long there also.)

• If quit the job, try to find a part time before you quit. So that you still can spend time with your 1st child, and yet take time to nurse your health for the 2nd child. Part time refers to anything, be it f&b or sales or retails. I saw alot of small shops still looking for part timers.

• Try talking to your huby, have a good discussion with him. I can understand his concern with regards to finance esp when you are expecting the 2nd one. Then again, I'm sure he's equally concern about your health. Let him know that you can find a part time to do first.

Of course, I'm not sure whether hows your family doing. For us, we dont't own any car and we stay in HDB. Though both of us can drive. Cause we dont't want to be tied down.
Anyhow, we're all working mummies with child to be take care at night. Nobody could understand us, other than ourself. :)

Do think properly. I know how hard it was to concentrate to think properly during First Trimester of Preg....take good care.

sigh... now my turn to complain.... my company is restructuring and no longer doing electronics. Since i'm the only sales, I was retrenched. Sad man... now I need to actively look for a job... anyone out there got lobangs???

Though i was in sales, i'm the bao ga person doing customer service, admin, logistics, sales, merchandising, service centre....

I desperately need a jobb fast .... as I got no retrenchment package!!!
Anybody can help??? :wong19: