Newborn baby suffering from nitemares at night.

mummypooh

Hi mummies,

I realised that my newborn baby of 4 days old is having dreams n mumbling in his sleep at night. For the past 2 nites, he has been awoke from his nitemares crying and take us a long time to pacify him. We have to carry him and calm him before he can sleep.

May i noe does every newborn babies have dreams at night and is there any solution for the problem above? what causes the dreams and nitemares? Is it due to the labour process that the baby underwent?

Thanks a Million.
Mummypooh.

Ting

is he very active in the day? like play too much thus "han bin"(have nightmares)?
or did he recently got a scare??
do u hv a beanie pillow? put it on his chest (not to high) or u can try swaddling. it will make him feel safer if he is swaddled.
anyway, for pin since NB til now, she seldom wake up crying in the night.
as of what i rmb, perhaps less than 10 times?

apollo

when ds was a nb, he sometimes was wake up screaming and crying. think is nightmare too... we will carry him up, sayang him and make him slp bk..

and even now he is lik tt too. but we noe where the pro lies this time. cos my hubby plays SUPERMAN with him EVERYNIGHT b4 he goes to bed OMG!!!

Phoebii Cheng

You can try swaddling, normally swaddling gives them the feeling that they r still in ur womb....

Or you can try to carry ur bb with both hands elbow to elbow and on ur feet and start to sway side by side, it helps too

mummypooh

Hi Ting,

Nope,coz hes juz a NB, most of d time he will asleep in the day. didnt have much opportunity to play w him also.

Yes, hes using the beanie pillow on his chest with d swaddling blanket too.

HAve a scare? the onli possible scare maybe is his long labour process,coz i started to have slight contactions on 25/11 afternoon and the "real" painful contractions start on 26/11 morning 1am and he was delivered ard 8am. When he was delivered, there are memconium (feces) on his body.

Last nite, he woke up crying for 2-3 times. Is that normal?

I think its very normal for them to have dreams.
My baby (now 2 months old) will also cry suddenly while sleeping/napping in the day. Usually I will carry her or talk to her and let her know I am around so she'll feel secure.

diymummy

Some people use white noise to soothe baby. White noise is like the TV at the wrong channel, or sound of vacuum cleaner. I've been to this shop in Suntec where they sell white noise CD. Not sure how well it works. White noise is supposed to replicate what it's like inside the womb. Much like swaddling.

apollo

Some people use white noise to soothe baby. White noise is like the TV at the wrong channel, or sound of vacuum cleaner. I've been to this shop in Suntec where they sell white noise CD. Not sure how well it works. White noise is supposed to replicate what it's like inside the womb. Much like swaddling.
vacuum cleaner definitely helps! i used that b4.. even up till now, ds loves vacuum cleaner. we can just leave him seated in his highchair and he will keep himself occupied by listen and looking at e vacuum cleaner..

joeyz

Hi Ting,

Nope,coz hes just a NB, most of d time he will asleep in the day. didnt have much opportunity to play w him also.

HAve a scare? the onli possible scare maybe is his long labour process,coz i started to have slight contactions on 25/11 afternoon and the "real" painful contractions start on 26/11 morning 1am and he was delivered around 8am. When he was delivered, there are memconium (feces) on his body.

my dear son also hv the same encounter as your bb. Best of all, he is a kicker, watever u swaddle will be kick off in no time. lol... i noticed it is the inital wk or 2, it get lesser over time but of cos not totally gone. Sometime he still wake up crying out loud as if he got a big fall. he is 7 wks+ old nw. :)

littlehelper

if they are too stimulated in,they will have nightmares when they sleep.Can try playing soft music and putting the bean bag thing on baby it will calm her and prevent her from getting frightened so easily.
I think if baby cry try patting instead of carrying if not next time you got big prob once they cry you will have to carry if not they will not go back to sleep.Easier to train from young...

Ting

Hi Ting,

Nope,coz hes just a NB, most of d time he will asleep in the day. didnt have much opportunity to play w him also.

HAve a scare? the onli possible scare maybe is his long labour process,coz i started to have slight contactions on 25/11 afternoon and the "real" painful contractions start on 26/11 morning 1am and he was delivered around 8am. When he was delivered, there are memconium (feces) on his body.

hmm, every child is different, so cant say it is normal or not..
maybe to some your child is normal but pin is abnormal?? :tlaugh:
but will the delivery really affect the child so much??

TANZHENZHI

My son also will have nightmares at night whenever at night before he slp, his gu gu will play with him. The result, he will wake up middle of the night and wake everybody up.. His cry super loud. I will carry him and talk to him, letting him know that i am beside him. I think the vaccum cleaner works for my son too.. haha everytime i vaccum the floor, he will sit down there and watch me vaccum the floor haha *cute*

kenxf_03

My dear son also. Will wake up from nightmares still, even if he's 6 mths+ now.. Was adviced not to let him play too much during the day. Hence, after 6pm, he is not allowed to play so much.