No weight gain for my toddler

Lovetoscrap

Hi, my son is now 15-month-old. He is always asking for food but there isn't any significant weight gain for several months. He weighs only 8.5kg. Doc says it's ok but I'm still concern. Does anyone of you have any advice/experience to share?

meiteoh

Weight gain works on the basic principle of eating more than what your body can burn - the excess goes into our fat storages. So if your toddler is active and burning up more calories than what he's getting into his tummies, then it's normal that he'll not put on weight.

Also note that some babies pack their growth into height rather than weight. It's normal for most babies to grow length-wise instead of width-wise after their first birthday. They say that babies should reach half of their adult height by the time they are around 5 yo.

So if your kiddo is getting taller (but not busting the scales) and is active plus eating well, I wouldn't worry too much about it (like your paed). If your kiddo is losing weight drastically, then that's something to worry about. Also if he gains too much weight, you have to worry about how to make him lose it! The way I look at it, your kiddo is doing okay. :)

apollo

actu once they enter the toddler stage, their weight gain will slow down. ds has not gain any weight for thes past 1mth+ (nearly 2mths). as long as ur child is eating well, i dun see any pro. =)

potato

I also have the same problem.. My relatives ask me why is my daughter small size? Now i know what to tell them. Thanks mummies! :)

isabelandrew

Me too. PD said is ok. He asked me to feed her with egg yolk - okay for couple of times in a week. as the brain develops very quickly cos all the cholestrol goes there...

diymummy

Hi, my son is now 15-month-old. He is always asking for food but there isn't any significant weight gain for several months. He weighs only 8.5kg. Doc says it's ok but I'm still concern. Does anyone of you have any advice/experience to share?
My boy is almost 18mths and weighs only 8.6kg. Friends who has seen his meals all say that he eats alot.

As long as he is hitting developmental milestones, is having enough fluids and a balance diet, there's nothing to worry abt.

From what you write, I think your son is between 10th to 15th percentile in terms of weight, which is good.

My pd told me that if your child's weight falls below 3rd percentile, then it would be a cause for concern.

jellybnzw

Don't worry, my baby girl now at 9kg is only 15mths. Since I was pregnant with her, the nurses and docs I saw always say she is small. Well she has small parents(I'm 1.58, daddy around 1.68) so she is small.

Growth also would take into account parents' size, child activity level and their appetite. As long as baby is growing taller you are fine.

Many news articles today already saying that children who are obese since young (toddler) has a higher likelihood of developing obesity in childhood and adulthood.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy's weight increased very quickly in the first 6 months then very slowly since then until now (16 months old). It took forever for that 1 more kg because he is super-active.

Anyway, as long as he is enjoying a wide variety of healthy food, developing well and is a happy & healthy child, things should be fine. :)

Stan

My boy's weight increased very quickly in the first 6 months then very slowly since then until now (16 months old). It took forever for that 1 more kg because he is super-active.

Anyway, as long as he is enjoying a wide variety of healthy food, developing well and is a happy & healthy child, things should be fine. :)
Tell me about it! i am counting by 100-200g each month... as long still increasing will be ok!

LoVeS

since doc say it is ok then dun worry too much~ Even my boy is 12kg when he is now 3yrs++ i aso dun really worry abt it even though it is very light for his height n age~

Lovetoscrap

Hi mummies, thanks for sharing. I'm more relief to hear from your experiences and comments. My boy is underweight. Ya, I hope he is healthy, which he seems to be, though he is small size.

Ting

perhaps now he is getting more n more active. as long as he isnt losing weight, shldnt be a problem. :)

Mummy to Baby V

Personally, I have been underweight since a child until now, despite how much and what I eat. Some people simply have high metabolic rate and find it hard to put on weight. As long as he is otherwise healthy, it'd be fine. :)

snowbear

My dd has always been small since birth (birth wt was 2.43kg) and at 2 yo, I think she's still 8+kg - I haven't weighed her for ages... lol. Initially doc was concerned since she's underweight but after observing her for awhile, he concluded that she's active and happy so there's nothing to worry about. :)

stonston

Weight isn't everything. Have no idea why mummies seem to be very bothered by weight (look at all the other threads comparing kiddo's weights).

I'm small size and so is my son. We have high metabolic rate. That's it.
He's growing tall, he's learning new skills, he's, in fact, moving ahead of his development milestones. So does his weight matter?

There's no need to think too much about the weight. You should focus more on what new recipes to try out, what new foods to introduce, what activities you can let him do to improve his skills (motor skills, verbal skills, etc).