Oatmeal

dear mummies,

I wanna cook oatmeal for my ds, where can I buy the oat from? not those instant one, want it in grain form and blend it myself using blender.

Thanks all.

1568mummy

I consider Quaker Oats as 'raw', meaning not instant.
you can blend that.
Just in case you are not sure of the brand, its the one with the old man's face in a metal tin packaging.

here's the link to the picture

You can get it from supermarkets.

annie

i consider quaker as instant.. hehe. need to read the ingredients also.

for me, i buy from supermarkets . those grains section. should have rolled oats. i buy rolled oats and grind into powder myself... or you can try those organic section. should have.

stonston

For babies, it's best to get BABY OATS. The texture is smoother & it's more digestable :)

Usually larger supermarkets will have them at the organic section. 1 pack is ard $3+.

I consider Quaker Oats as 'raw', meaning not instant.
you can blend that.
Just in case you are not sure of the brand, its the one with the old man's face in a metal tin packaging.

here's the link to the picture

You can get it from supermarkets.
Ok tks 1568mummy:) I wil go and hv a look.

i consider quaker as instant.. hehe. need to read the ingredients also.

for me, i buy from supermarkets . those grains section. should have rolled oats. i buy rolled oats and grind into powder myself... or you can try those organic section. should have.
Okay thks..Ya me too, think tat quaker are instant one. Ok i wil make a trip to supermarkets tmr.

For babies, it's best to get BABY OATS. The texture is smoother & it's more digestable :)

Usually larger supermarkets will have them at the organic section. 1 pack is around $3+.
Okay thks stonston, great advise, take note:) Ok, my hse down there, only got sheng shiong, doubt they dun hv. if not wil go other supermarkets.

snowbear

Okay thks stonston, great advise, take note:) Ok, my house down there, only got sheng shiong, doubt they dont have. if not wil go other supermarkets.
hey gal, u stay near me... hehe... you can try going to ntuc if sheng siong doesn't have. NTUC has an organic section where you can find the baby oats Stonston recommended (which I'm also using). Brand is Origins if I'm not wrong.

annie

how does bb oats look like? do u have any pics of the bb oats(not the box. the oats itself) in your blog?

snowbear

how does baby oats look like? do you have any pics of the baby oats(not the box. the oats itself) in your blog?
eh, later i take picture and show you k? haha... :D

Anyway, nowadays hardly use the baby oats coz she doesn't really like it. Add all sorts of things in it and she'll take only about half a bowl. Give her porridge she can take one bowl so i rather give her porridge so she can eat more... Now i use the baby oats to make muffins instead... :)

annie

ya lor cos i always see recipe state baby oats.. but i dun have.. i have only organic rolled oats.. then cant seem to find bb oats here thus wondering how it looks like. i always replace the bb oats with ground up rolled oats instead.. dunno they are similar or not also since i have never seen bb oats before hehe

eh, later i take picture and show you k? haha... :D

Anyway, nowadays hardly use the baby oats coz she doesn't really like it. Add all sorts of things in it and she'll take only about half a bowl. Give her porridge she can take one bowl so i rather give her porridge so she can eat more... Now i use the baby oats to make muffins instead... :)
Me too, let me c if u hv take pic of the oats:)haha, i also no idea hw it look like

Oh me staying at tanglin halt area, r u near me? ok i wil go nearest ntuc to buy the oats, let my ds try, duno he wil like it ant.

so great, u make oats into muffin:)

snowbear

Me too, let me c if you have take pic of the oats:)haha, i also no idea hw it look like

Oh me staying at tanglin halt area, are you near me? ok i wil go nearest ntuc to buy the oats, let my dear son try, dont know he wil like it ant.

so great, you make oats into muffin:)
I'm at redhill.. :)

Anyway, here're 2 pictures of the baby oats. Can't get a good pic of the oats though...

Attachments

CDL

I feed my 9mth old baby quick-cooking Quaker oats (I have the same thing for breakfast too so mummy gets a big spoonful for every small spoonful that baby takes). It's not ground but it is soft enough for her to swallow. Cook in a little water over the stove for a few minutes. Once I added a bit of sugar and boy did she eat alot!

I find the instant ones to be too processed (I think you only need to add hot water) and the rolled ones too hard (unless they are ground coarsely).

Getting the right consistency when cooking the oats also helps. It should be of a pasty, gluey consistency. It usually thickens and sometimes hardens when cooled, so add a little warm water or milk and give it a good stir.

Oats are wonderful breakfast foods and it's good if babies learn to eat them from young. BTW, if baby has been having constipation problems, oats will fix that too!

annie

CDL, any idea if we can give oats as breakfast everyday? will that be too heaty?

thanks snowbear!

CDL

Annie, yes oats can be heaty, so increase water and veg (esp green leafy veg) intake to balance out heatiness.

shulyn

dear mummies,

I wanna cook oatmeal for my dear son, where can I buy the oat from? not those instant one, want it in grain form and blend it myself using blender.

Thanks all.
Hi Serene,

My friend introduce me Happybellies brand Brown rice and oatmeal cereal from Vitakids @ paragon, its organic want...I just bought the brown rice cereal, very small tin @ $9 plus contain DHA and prebiotic...

Of course grind ourself is better...but i bought this and offer it to my boy twice a week and most importantly, this cereal contains quite no.of nutrient.

shulyn

Hi Mummies,

Can anyone advise, i went to Vitakids @ Paragon, the salesperson told me oats can only be offer after 8 months? Is it true?

Thanks!