Oatmeal

snowbear

Hi Mummies,

Can anyone advise, i went to Vitakids @ Paragon, the salesperson told me oats can only be offer after 8 months? Is it true?

Thanks!
If I'm not wrong, oats can be given after 6 months unless there is a history of allergy in your family.

Hi Serene,

My friend introduce me Happybellies brand Brown rice and oatmeal cereal from Vitakids @ paragon, its organic want...I just bought the brown rice cereal, very small tin @ $9 plus contain DHA and prebiotic...

Of course grind ourself is better...but i bought this and offer it to my boy twice a week and most importantly, this cereal contains quite no.of nutrient.
Hey Shulyn, nice to c u in tis thread:)

Ok, so Treston eating well? meaning u just pour water or hv to cook over the gas?

I feed my 9mth old baby quick-cooking Quaker oats (I have the same thing for breakfast too so mummy gets a big spoonful for every small spoonful that baby takes). It's not ground but it is soft enough for her to swallow. Cook in a little water over the stove for a few minutes. Once I added a bit of sugar and boy did she eat alot!

I find the instant ones to be too processed (I think you only need to add hot water) and the rolled ones too hard (unless they are ground coarsely).

Getting the right consistency when cooking the oats also helps. It should be of a pasty, gluey consistency. It usually thickens and sometimes hardens when cooled, so add a little warm water or milk and give it a good stir.

Oats are wonderful breakfast foods and it's good if babies learn to eat them from young. BTW, if baby has been having constipation problems, oats will fix that too!
Hi CDL, as u mentioned, u give yr child quick oooking quaker oats, as my ds is going 7mths, i just serve it plain or wif veggie without adding sugar cos u mentioned tat u added sugar to feed yr 9mths old boy?

gd gd, i shall start soon to let my ds try.

annie

ya u can add anything like veg or fruits. i personally dun add any kind of seasoning into my girl's food so far...

ya you can add anything like veg or fruits. i personally dont add any kind of seasoning into my girl's food so far...
yup not to add, if not next time they wil be picky in food. btw Annie, u not staying in Spore issit? cos i saw in yr blog that u came to spore for holiday.

CDL

Yes, you can add different veg or fruit into the oats. Afterall variety is the spice of life. Do avoid all forms of seasoning. The first time my daughter tried oats, she had some that I had made for my husb (with sugar). She loved it.

So the next day, I made some for her too but without sugar. She didn't have as much (not sweet mah) but by the third day, she must have forgotten about the sweetened oats that she had had before, and she ate a substantial amount again.

Oats are a wonderful source of fibre and its much better than having sweetened cereals. However if there is a possibility that your baby may be allergic to it, then wait till baby is older (say over 12 months) before introducing it.

Another ques:) If i wanna cook barley cereal, which type of barley i shd purchase as I wan to cook homemade barley cereal for my son.

shulyn

Hey Shulyn, nice to c you in tis thread:)

Ok, so Treston eating well? meaning you just pour water or have to cook over the gas?
Hey Serene,

Good Day!

Yap, Treston is eating well but not drinking well...Overall if its under my mum care, he can drink up to 240ml via spoon feeding...If im feeding him, then really gonna control my patience cos he like to make things difficult to me, haha:)...

For the Happybellies oat & brown rice cereal, i think its very good, contains prebiotic, Dha etc.

Cooking is simple, just add hot water and stir, once done, just mix with pumpkin, avocado etc...Treston can take one bowl of the cereal!!!

Dear mummies,

Wat veggie or fruits u added to yr child oatmeal?

Let my son to try for ist time, i mixed it with banana, try it the day after with pumpkin, he ate it but gave me a weird look and did not finish wat i cooked for him, duno issit he not used to the oat's taste.

Should I add more veg or fruits so that to overlap the oat's taste and to get the nutrition by eating the whole bowl.

annie

is it the oats taste or the pumpkin taste? did he finish when he eats the banana oatmeal cereal?

is it the oats taste or the pumpkin taste? did he finish when he eats the banana oatmeal cereal?
Hi Annie,

Pumpkin he ate before and he loved it, only when I start to give him oats, he gave me a funny face like telling me it is not nice, nope he did not finish the banana oatmeal cereal so think he doesnt lik the oats taste, wat shd I do?

stonston

Hi Annie,

Pumpkin he ate before and he loved it, only when I start to give him oats, he gave me a funny face like telling me it is not nice, nope he did not finish the banana oatmeal cereal so think he doesnt lik the oats taste, what should I do?
Pumpkin isn't always sweet, especially if you did not buy a nice and ripe one. Butternut pumpkin is the best for baby as it's easy to digest & sweeter.

What oats did you buy? Baby oats taste very mild & it very well-received by my boy when he was an infant. Only when he was around 1.8yo then we changed to rolled oats cos the texture is thicker.

Btw, which banana did you buy? You must go market and buy the small tiny ones. Those are sweeter & nicer tasting when cooked with oats.

Pumpkin isn't always sweet, especially if you did not buy a nice and ripe one. Butternut pumpkin is the best for baby as it's easy to digest & sweeter.

What oats did you buy? Baby oats taste very mild & it very well-received by my boy when he was an infant. Only when he was around 1.8yo then we changed to rolled oats cos the texture is thicker.

Btw, which banana did you buy? You must go market and buy the small tiny ones. Those are sweeter & nicer tasting when cooked with oats.
Hi stonston,

Yes I bought the butternut pumpkin and he is fine w it, for the banana, i bgt it at the market, small ones as u mentioned.

I bgt the origins organic baby oats that u recommended in the previous post.

Just that he still doesnt like it, i try it every alternate days tat hope he wil start to eat it.

stonston

Hi stonston,

Yes I bought the butternut pumpkin and he is fine w it, for the banana, i bgt it at the market, small ones as you mentioned.

I bgt the origins organic baby oats that you recommended in the previous post.

Just that he still doesnt like it, i try it every alternate days that hope he wil start to eat it.
Is this the first time you give him oats? Try to make it more watery & cook with milk. My boy only like oats cooked with milk.

For the banana, make sure it's very ripe so that it's sweet. My boy can wolf down 4 bananas on his own without us noticing! We only realised when we saw the peels!

Is this the first time you give him oats? Try to make it more watery & cook with milk. My boy only like oats cooked with milk.

For the banana, make sure it's very ripe so that it's sweet. My boy can wolf down 4 bananas on his own without us noticing! We only realised when we saw the peels!
yes my ist time giving him to try the oats. Ok i shall try again to add milk & c how his reaction.

Daily consumption intake, for breakfast example, is tat ok? will it be too heaty or alternate days?

Haha he go self service...i m sure children loved bananas:)

stonston

My son has oats almost every morning. Oats with different things everyday, eggs, pumpkin, carrots, tomatoes, cranberries, blueberries, banana, peach, apples, pear, etc etc. Sometimes he is still hungry, my maid will make sandwich for him or give him crackers with salad.

annie

my girl loves oats too. she too has it almost every morning n she always clear her bowl! i only cook with water(not milk) and fruits.. today i tried cooking it with some apple water which is left when i steam the apples n she didnt like it! only took a few mouth.. maybe too sweet.. not sure of she likes it with milk but was thinking since she love it as it is now then maybe i wont add milk into it hehe

My son has oats almost every morning. Oats with different things everyday, eggs, pumpkin, carrots, tomatoes, cranberries, blueberries, banana, peach, apples, pear, etc etc. Sometimes he is still hungry, my maid will make sandwich for him or give him crackers with salad.
Okie. Tmr i wil cook again for my ds to try again, hope he can eat well and for his breakfast as it is very nutrition:)

my girl loves oats too. she too has it almost every morning and she always clear her bowl! i only cook with water(not milk) and fruits.. today i tried cooking it with some apple water which is left when i steam the apples and she didnt like it! only took a few mouth.. maybe too sweet.. not sure of she likes it with milk but was thinking since she love it as it is now then maybe i wont add milk into it hehe
ic, when yr dd ate it for ist time, did she reject it? cos my son ate for ist time and he dun like it, gonna try again tmr morning.