Plain water

yummy mummy

Hi, does your child likes to drink plain water??? My DD doesnt like plain water. Only drink when taking her meal...not much few sip from cup only...so i gave her diluted apple juice...peel add water and steam for 15mins then like her drink. she drinks about 200-250ml a day ( not including her milk ( FM), sometimes weather hot she will drink more so i need to boil twice...is it enough?? how to make her drink plain water huh...or any other alternative beside apple juice?? Thanks
i have only begun introducing plain water to Dray when he was nearing a year old, but in very calculated amounts. before, i avoided giving him plain water, as its completely unnecessary in my opinion :) since he's exclusively breastfed.
when he was 6months or so i gave him apple juice, pear juice, blackcurrant juice or cranberry juice as a "sometime" treat.

now that he's started solids, i'm giving him prune juice now and then to reduce constipation.

still not giving him plain water that much. :)

vonn81

Come to think of it, you can consider cooking pear juice instead of apple juice ... becoz there's acid in apples, more in green ones but still some in red ones.
:wink: :wink:

oh really??
i only use red...but pear not s easy to buy compare to apple...

yummy mummy

Is it so?? because i've been giving her apple juice ( steam with water) so its not sweet, just alittle of apple frangrance. Glucose?? which type ya?? the blue tin ones?? but i got ask my doc, she says that is actually for energy.not so recommend. ribena leh? or any other choice? thanks
yeah....try not too give too much glucose as it baby may develop sweet tooth. :) but a little now and then will do no harm!

vonn81

i have only begun introducing plain water to Dray when he was nearing a year old, but in very calculated amounts. before, i avoided giving him plain water, as its completely unnecessary in my opinion :) since he's exclusively breastfed.
when he was 6months or so i gave him apple juice, pear juice, blackcurrant juice or cranberry juice as a "sometime" treat.

now that he's started solids, i'm giving him prune juice now and then to reduce constipation.

still not giving him plain water that much. :)
Oh really...i noe bm contains mostly water...i'm still bf Bianca too. but she is drinking much lesser than before. so i tot i should let her drink water to qrench her thirst as she is very active and weather is humid too..

Thats y i gave her apple jiuce since she doesnt like plain water...

Hey u r ann right?? I'm Yvonne. still remember me?

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
vonn81 said:
oh really??
i only use red ... but pear not so easy to buy compare to apple ...
Should have no problems at NTUC ... I buy them all the time, plus a great choice of variety too.

vonn81

Should have no problems at NTUC ... I buy them all the time, plus a great choice of variety too.

mayb the ntuc at my area not big enough?? cos i have prob buying...can fragrance pear cook as juice too?? wat i'm refering was the figure 8 that type not easy to find...

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
yummy mummy said:
vonn81 said:
Oh really...i noe bm contains mostly water... i'm still bf Bianca too. but she is drinking much lesser than before. so i tot i should let her drink water to qrench her thirst as she is very active and weather is humid too
Both my boys were also 100% breastfed until they were around 6 months old ... in fact, my Siggi has just been introduced to semi-solids for a week or so.
When they were 100% breastfed, my wifey also didn't really bother with consciously feeding them with water ... on the rare occasions that I tried, both my boys fretted over it ... predictably becoz plain water was just what it was: PLAIN.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

However, do bear in mind 2 things:
1) no matter how long you go on breastfeeding, it will have to stop some day
2) water intake will increase as your child continue to grow, grow & grow

IMHO, both yummymummy & myself are already fortunate that we didn't face too much resistance when our kiddos embarked on the transition from milk to other liquid intakes ... but for cases where there is stronger (or even absolute) resistance, then it is imperative to find a SOLUTION which your kiddo is more than willing to accept.
Pun fully intended ... :wink: :wink:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
vonn81 said:
mayb the ntuc at my area not big enough?? cos i have prob buying ... can fragrance pear cook as juice too?? wat i'm refering was the figure 8 that type not easy to find ...
I dun usually use 香梨, as I dun think they are juicy enough ... for that reason, I prefer to use 雪梨 or 沙梨 (the big-sized, yellow/brown-skinned, round-shaped pears from Japan, China or Korea).

Just for info, I boil them in the slow-cooker for half a day ... together with a handful of almonds (南杏、北杏). This doubles up as cooling tea against coughs & sore throats.

vonn81

I dun usually use 香梨, as I dun think they are juicy enough ... for that reason, I prefer to use 雪梨 or 沙梨 (the big-sized, yellow/brown-skinned, round-shaped pears from Japan, China or Korea).

Just for info, I boil them in the slow-cooker for half a day ... together with a handful of almonds (南杏、北杏). This doubles up as cooling tea against coughs & sore throats.

Oh sorry i din noe " Li" is consider pear wor...haha...my mum say too " liang" leh...those brown/yellow colour "li"

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
vonn81 said:
Oh sorry i din noe " Li" is consider pear wor...haha...
Erm ... then what is pear in Chinese?
:bconfused: :bconfused:

vonn81 said:
my mum say too " liang" leh...those brown/yellow colour "li"
Your mum is not wrong.
But you noticed I said I boil half a day in a slow-cooker? That's like double-boiling the pears already ... so, it's no longer potently "liang".

vonn81

Erm ... then what is pear in Chinese?
:bconfused: :bconfused:

lolz

Your mum is not wrong.
But you noticed I said I boil half a day in a slow-cooker? That's like double-boiling the pears already ... so, it's no longer potently "liang".
ok...then if i steam leh?? how long so that its no longer potently "liang"? thanks

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
vonn81 said:
ok...then if i steam leh?? how long so that its no longer potently "liang"?? thanks
In cooking theory, steaming is done for the 原汁原味.
So, I'm not so sure you can remove the potent "liangness" lor ...
:laugh: :laugh:

yummy mummy

Oh really...i noe bm contains mostly water...i'm still bf Bianca too. but she is drinking much lesser than before. so i tot i should let her drink water to qrench her thirst as she is very active and weather is humid too..

Hey u r ann right?? I'm Yvonne. still remember me?
of course i do! :tlaugh:
just that seldom come in here since but now am trying to be more active here! :001_302:

hmm...i also read a report that its not advisable to give babies too much water...let me look for the article, i have it on my blog..i'll link it here. :)

meanwhile, i think apple juice should be fine if bianca doesn't take too well to water. :)

vonn81

of course i do! :tlaugh:
just that seldom come in here since but now am trying to be more active here! :001_302:

hmm...i also read a report that its not advisable to give babies too much water...let me look for the article, i have it on my blog..i'll link it here. :)

meanwhile, i think apple juice should be fine if bianca doesn't take too well to water. :)

i heard too...but they mentioned for babies below 6mths leh...

so how's dray 1st yr celebration?? had fun??

Amulet

why rose syrup?? u r bfing?? thats y u did give her plain water?? I was bfing and doc told me no need to give plain water till 6mths old. so i stop giving lor
who knows she refuses it now...thinking should i listen to the old?? saying if u dont give they will refuse later...sigh..
nah.. its crap.. my DD only start plain water whn she start solid.. she still loves it alot, never reject plain water de..

anyway, apple juice is fine la.. maybe try slowly dilute it lo?

yummy mummy

i heard too...but they mentioned for babies below 6mths leh...

so how's dray 1st yr celebration?? had fun??
oh we did!! :Dancing_tongue:
if you wanna see pics you can click on the banner below!:Dancing_wub:

and you're right about the plain water thing...it applies for babies 6months and below. :001_302:
here's the article anyhows..
Baby Boyd's Blog

snowbear

i agree wit u vvb rgds to feeding the bb whr she's nt fully awake but y still doc only recommend to hv only 10ml of water intake a day apart frm milk?? but seriously my niece got bronchitis wen drank too much water n my SIL 2nd daughter dun drink too much of water n fussy wen drinkin milk n she's jz fine wit no bronchitis.. wen her first daughter was 10mths old she's very independent alrdy cz my SIL will hv her bb bottle of water ready beside her DD(1st) n wen DD wakes up in the middle of the night she(DD) took the bottle herself n drink it to sleep..
My doc probably says that my DD shouldn't be given too much water coz she's a small eater and very small-sized. Giving too much water will fill up her already small stomach and prevent her from taking in more food. Anyway i think my DD drinks quite a lot of bm tho i've never pumped out for her... :tlaugh:

vonn81

oh we did!! :Dancing_tongue:
if you wanna see pics you can click on the banner below!:Dancing_wub:

and you're right about the plain water thing...it applies for babies 6months and below. :001_302:
here's the article anyhows..
Baby Boyd's Blog

Wow looks great ya!! Cookie monster theme. I like it!!

So u shld start giving dray more water treats??

yummy mummy

yeah...i'm giving him more juices now...not so much plain water yet...only when he sees us drinking PW and he's screaming for some that i give him.he's always screaming for a little of whatever we're drinking! :001_302:

i donno...cos he's total BF, so i reckon its not necessary since BM is diluted? *shrugs* giving him juices to introduce him to flavor. :tlaugh:

vonn81

yeah...i'm giving him more juices now...not so much plain water yet...only when he sees us drinking PW and he's screaming for some that i give him.he's always screaming for a little of whatever we're drinking! :001_302:

i donno...cos he's total BF, so i reckon its not necessary since BM is diluted? *shrugs* giving him juices to introduce him to flavor. :tlaugh:
Me too, i'm total BFing Bianca too. Does dray drink alot now?? How many times a day?? She is drinking 3-4 times a day. but she drink very fast leh...10 mins done with both. sometimes even shorter...tried giving her FM, but she refuse totally...doc told me actually after 1 yr of BF, the milk has not much nutrients already. so i'm confuse dunno to continue or intro FM...when do u plan to stop??