Plain water

vonn81

Hi, does your child likes to drink plain water??? My DD doesnt like plain water. Only drink when taking her meal...not much few sip from cup only...so i gave her diluted apple juice...peel add water and steam for 15mins then like her drink. she drinks about 200-250ml a day ( not including her milk ( FM), sometimes weather hot she will drink more so i need to boil twice...is it enough?? how to make her drink plain water huh...or any other alternative beside apple juice?? Thanks

pureline

Since young, i always provide plain water to my baby girl but then someone told me to refrain giving my baby too much plain water and i give her rose syrup, apple juice etc nowadays my baby girl will drink plain water once awhile but not as often as she used to drink when she was like 2-3mths old.

vonn81

why rose syrup?? u r bfing?? thats y u did give her plain water?? I was bfing and doc told me no need to give plain water till 6mths old. so i stop giving lor
who knows she refuses it now...thinking should i listen to the old?? saying if u dont give they will refuse later...sigh..

pureline

well, i gave her rose syrup only when she is more then 6 months old, rose syrup is just one of the differemt type of drink, you can provide.

bfing? what that?

Oh yah, i think my mum read from the paper that we should avoid giving plain water to infant below 6 months so stop giving loh... but nowadays when i start giving her...she dun like it. and prefer other drink.

vonn81

ya thats my prob too... when i noe no need to give plain water before 6mths especially when bfing...i stop...
so till now she 1 yr liao still doesnt like
oh bfing is Breastfeeding...heheh

snowbear

ya thats my prob too... when i noe no need to give plain water before 6mths especially when bfing...i stop...
so till now she 1 yr liao still doesnt like
oh bfing is Breastfeeding...heheh
I also din give bb water in the first 6 months. Even when she's 9 months old now, the doc says she needs only about 10ml of plain water a day coz bm got a lot of water. My DD drinks water from a straw from her sippy cup. She appreciates it when her mouth is dry from eating bread or egg yolk. haha... will open her mouth eagerly to drink water...

vonn81

ya loh...only meal time or when she is thirsty she can drink abit of plain water....she still prefer boil apple juice...hai dunno when i can stop doing that and just give plain water...dunno when can start giving yakult...hahha

J

justforgags

ya loh...only meal time or when she is thirsty she can drink abit of plain water....she still prefer boil apple juice...hai dunno when i can stop doing that and just give plain water...dunno when can start giving yakult...hahha

try nt to give yakult as it will cz phelgm to the child cz once they start they want it again n again, for me vitagen is better cz its not too thick unlike yakult the thickness cn cause phelgm.. My experienced lookin after my niece n she's a plain water drinker n she drinks alot.. My SIL din gv her milk in the nite but replc them wit plain water n now niece got bronchitis.. Lung too watery..

autumn82

try nt to give yakult as it will cz phelgm to the child cz once they start they want it again n again, for me vitagen is better cz its not too thick unlike yakult the thickness cn cause phelgm.. My experienced lookin after my niece n she's a plain water drinker n she drinks alot.. My SIL din gv her milk in the nite but replc them wit plain water n now niece got bronchitis.. Lung too watery..
o_O Serious? U mean too much water will cause bronchitis?!!? :err::err::err:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
justforgags said:
My SIL din gv her milk in the nite but replc them wit plain water n now niece got bronchitis.. Lung too watery..
Sayang ... some facts are not quite right here.

Bronchitis is the infection of the bronchia ... or what laymen would call windpipes ... where infections are concerned, it is not caused by water intake.
Lung too watery ... or even when the lung has the slightest water content (which is not supposed to be the case), that's pneumonia.

If you ask me, the cause of your niece's situation is "feeding her at night" when she is half asleep ... where she is not at her most alert to control the epiglottis properly. This is the valve which covers up the windpipe when we are swallowing water or food ...
:beek: :beek:

J

justforgags

I also din give bb water in the first 6 months. Even when she's 9 months old now, the doc says she needs only about 10ml of plain water a day coz bm got a lot of water. My DD drinks water from a straw from her sippy cup. She appreciates it when her mouth is dry from eating bread or egg yolk. haha... will open her mouth eagerly to drink water...
Sayang ... some facts are not quite right here.

Bronchitis is the infection of the bronchia ... or what laymen would call windpipes ... where infections are concerned, it is not caused by water intake.
Lung too watery ... or even when the lung has the slightest water content (which is not supposed to be the case), that's pneumonia.

If you ask me, the cause of your niece's situation is "feeding her at night" when she is half asleep ... where she is not at her most alert to control the epiglottis properly. This is the valve which covers up the windpipe when we are swallowing water or food ...
:beek: :beek:

i agree wit u vvb rgds to feeding the bb whr she's nt fully awake but y still doc only recommend to hv only 10ml of water intake a day apart frm milk?? but seriously my niece got bronchitis wen drank too much water n my SIL 2nd daughter dun drink too much of water n fussy wen drinkin milk n she's jz fine wit no bronchitis.. wen her first daughter was 10mths old she's very independent alrdy cz my SIL will hv her bb bottle of water ready beside her DD(1st) n wen DD wakes up in the middle of the night she(DD) took the bottle herself n drink it to sleep..

elmo493

I drank plain water during my pregnancy and my son likes to drink plain water too. Now he is 17mth and sometimes he simply refuse to give back his water bottle. To prevent him from sucking the air from the bottle. I like to give him a full bottle (smallest avent bottle), he will suck and suck and will sometimes finished without us noticing it. I seldom give him juice from the bottle but I let him drink barley water on alt day if the weather is too hot and occasionally a little bit of fresh orange juice and apple almost everyday.

vonn81

i tot when bb start on semi-solid food they need to drink water too beside milk right?? after one yr old milk intake suppose to be supplements not main already right?? i'm confuse now leh...should give more water or not?? how much is enough for a day??

Phoebii Cheng

My son oso does not like to drink water, so wat we do is that we dilute his milk.....lets say he drinks normally abt 180ml, so we dilute it water 190 - 200ml with the same amt of scoop of milk powder for 180ml milk, that way he has enough water to drink......and dun worry so long as ur daughter is drinking milk, she is oso taking in liquid......

My son oso has bronchitis, but PD says the cause for him is smoke & dust....so thats why we avoid giving him furry toys and make sure our house is cleaned, cos a little bit of dust can trigger it.......

elmo493

Yes is printed in an article in the newspapaer that baby below the age of 6mth should not be given too much water. But we are not giving that 1 pail of water and not asking them to finish at 1 gulp.

Of course they will need the water when they start semi-solid latest by 6mth.
I give him water after every milk feeding and meal to help to rinse his mouth too.

i tot when bb start on semi-solid food they need to drink water too beside milk right?? after one yr old milk intake suppose to be supplements not main already right?? i'm confuse now leh...should give more water or not?? how much is enough for a day??

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
vonn81 said:
i tot when bb start on semi-solid food they need to drink water too beside milk right?? after one yr old milk intake suppose to be supplements not main already right?? i'm confuse now leh ... should give more water or not?? how much is enough for a day??
As long as your kid still take milk ... that's water.

Whether that's enough or not ... it all depends on your son's body mechanics. You should feed him more if he is the type who sweats a lot ... just like Seamus, he used to not like to drink plain water when he was on a 100% milk diet. But nowadays, he carries his water bottle around the house & sip on it whenever he feels like replenishing the sweat his body pushes out.

In an adult, drinking water helps to detox ... but for young children, there isn't much toxin to talk about since we are so particular about what they eat.

However, if you think your little one does not like to drink water becoz of the lack of taste, then there is nothing wrong in feeding him flavoured water ... in this case, I would recommend you use glucose. Just the slightest bit of sweetness will do, so much so that we adults should find that flavoured water as tasteless still ... coz you have to take into consideration that the tastebuds of our little ones are unexposed & uncontaminated, unlike us adults.

Should you have any concerns of glucose being sugar ... then, do rest assured that glucose is actually carbohydrates in its simplest form, so it is not harmful as long as you are not finishing the can of glucose in days. For the record, the normal sugar we add for flavouring is considered processed & complex sugar ... that's the difference.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

vonn81

As long as your kid still take milk ... that's water.

Whether that's enough or not ... it all depends on your son's body mechanics. You should feed him more if he is the type who sweats a lot ... just like Seamus, he used to not like to drink plain water when he was on a 100% milk diet. But nowadays, he carries his water bottle around the house & sip on it whenever he feels like replenishing the sweat his body pushes out.

In an adult, drinking water helps to detox ... but for young children, there isn't much toxin to talk about since we are so particular about what they eat.

However, if you think your little one does not like to drink water becoz of the lack of taste, then there is nothing wrong in feeding him flavoured water ... in this case, I would recommend you use glucose. Just the slightest bit of sweetness will do, so much so that we adults should find that flavoured water as tasteless still ... coz you have to take into consideration that the tastebuds of our little ones are unexposed & uncontaminated, unlike us adults.

Should you have any concerns of glucose being sugar ... then, do rest assured that glucose is actually carbohydrates in its simplest form, so it is not harmful as long as you are not finishing the can of glucose in days. For the record, the normal sugar we add for flavouring is considered processed & complex sugar ... that's the difference.
:biggrin: :biggrin:
Is it so?? because i've been giving her apple juice ( steam with water) so its not sweet, just alittle of apple frangrance. Glucose?? which type ya?? the blue tin ones?? but i got ask my doc, she says that is actually for energy.not so recommend. ribena leh? or any other choice? thanks

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
vonn81 said:
Is it so?? because i've been giving her apple juice (steam with water) so its not sweet, just alittle of apple frangrance.
This is ok too, but is your kiddo drinking it ... despite all the effort?

vonn81 said:
Glucose?? which type ya?? the blue tin ones?? but i got ask my doc, she says that is actually for energy. not so recommend.
Yes, Glucolin ... packed in the light blue tin can.
Since you also asked your doc already, why didn't you push on & asked why "actually for energy, so not recommended"?
You see, your doc is just one of those who prefer to shut his patients up without telling them the full truth.

In comparison to giving plain water, glucose water is still sugared water ... so, of course plain water is still recommended. But when your kiddo wun drink a single drop of plain water, then how?
In addition, I'm also saying this ... since hafta feed flavoured water, then the following is true:
1) giving sugared water is still better than giving salted water
2) glucose water is still the best, in terms of sugared water ... becoz it is still the simplest form of sugar

vonn81 said:
ribena leh? or any other choice? thanks
Ribena ... I feed my Seamus with that too, as a treat.
But I guess some mummies would fret over it ... so it's your choice.
If you ask me, start with glucose water first.
:wink: :wink:

vonn81

This is ok too, but is your kiddo drinking it ... despite all the effort?

Yes she drinks...

Yes, Glucolin ... packed in the light blue tin can.
Since you also asked your doc already, why didn't you push on & asked why "actually for energy, so not recommended"?
You see, your doc is just one of those who prefer to shut his patients up without telling them the full truth.

Not really to shut mouth lah, she says unless my dd is not eating well or not taking and water then can give. if she is taking her food and her apple juice then no need to give that lah...mayb i should explain it further...hehe

In comparison to giving plain water, glucose water is still sugared water ... so, of course plain water is still recommended. But when your kiddo wun drink a single drop of plain water, then how?
In addition, I'm also saying this ... since hafta feed flavoured water, then the following is true:
1) giving sugared water is still better than giving salted water
2) glucose water is still the best, in terms of sugared water ... becoz it is still the simplest form of sugar

Ribena ... I feed my Seamus with that too, as a treat.
But I guess some mummies would fret over it ... so it's your choice.
If you ask me, start with glucose water first.
okay shall give her alittle if i have no time to cook apple juice...lol

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
vonn81 said:
okay shall give her alittle if i have no time to cook apple juice ... lol
Come to think of it, you can consider cooking pear juice instead of apple juice ... becoz there's acid in apples, more in green ones but still some in red ones.