Poor Appetite

lynnie85

My son is 13 mths and now he doesn't drink his milk and eat his porridge as much like in the past. Now he only drink 100ml and sometimes 50ml...and porridge sometimes less than a plate and he will boo boo out...Does anyone facing the same situation as me? And I thought usually they will intake more food when they grow up? And when during his last check up, the doc say that at his age shld be about 10kg, but he is only 9kg...although it's a kg diff, my mum complained that ever since I took over to take care, he lose weight...feel so demoralised and sometimes I do question myself whether I'm a gd mummy.:wefrown:

Phoebii Cheng

My son is 13 mths and now he doesn't drink his milk and eat his porridge as much like in the past. Now he only drink 100ml and sometimes 50ml...and porridge sometimes less than a plate and he will boo boo out...Does anyone facing the same situation as me? And I thought usually they will intake more food when they grow up? And when during his last check up, the doc say that at his age shld be about 10kg, but he is only 9kg...although it's a kg diff, my mum complained that ever since I took over to take care, he lose weight...feel so demoralised and sometimes I do question myself whether I'm a good mummy.:wefrown:
Hi don't worry so much, did your son hv snacks in between his meals? That could be part of the reason why he is not eating tht much for his main meal.....

My son too after he turn 1yrs old, he is not eating much......could also be he is more mobile, more interested in his surrounding thats why...

If you r worried abt his food intake, why not you give some multivits to him? I also give my son multivits....

Phoebii Cheng

And yes you are a good mummy, the fact that you are concerned abt his well being shows tht...........:tlaugh:

Ting

what abt the variety of the food u gv him? perhaps he is sick of the same type of food given?
as he is alr 1yo, u can give him more variety like noodles, pasta, rice, sandwiches... etc..
give him food with more texture.
if u find he cant finish one portion of food, then make it up with a light snack.

uhhh, losing weight n not putting on weight r 2 different issues.
as they r getting more mobile, they tend to put on weight very slowly cos they r very active.
pin was 12kgs at 1yo but now at 3 yo she is only 15.5kgs. didnt put on much weight. i dont worry cos she is eating fine (in fact she eats alot but her weight gain is slow) n she is very active. :)
as long as he is putting on weight n growing well, i see no issues with how heavy he is.
like your doc mention, he SHLD be 10kgs, it is just a rough guide from the doc, perhaps your son is small built, thus lighter in terms of weight. as long he doesnt fall back too much, eg being 6-7 kgs instead of 10kgs, then u shldnt be overly concerned.

diymummy

My son is coming to 18mths and not even 9kg. My friends has seen how much my son is eating and it is ALOT. lol.

My point is, don't worry abt the weight.

For my boy, when he is teething, he is also like your child. Spit everything out and only drink very little milk. This usually lasts a week or two. During that period, I usually give him his favourite stuff or introduce new tasty flavours for him and he will be able to accept it better.

apollo

i agree with Ting, did u change the variety of food for him? actu ds also dun really lik solid foods, he prefers milk. so i have to wk v hard to change his menu frequently. haha..

or is his food to bland? he is 1yo alrdy, his food she hav some taste. but i didnt add any seasoning, i use ikan bilis, chk bones, pork bones to make stock for his food. =)

lynnie85

I guess probably he is sick to the same old food which is porridge...as my mum is the one usually cook it and it will always contain fish and veg only...and of coz didnt comment too much abt it...Am still trying to intro him with more varieties, but just not too sure how to make it look "delicious" for him. Had try sandwiches, pasta, baby cereal with cranberry so far...so far he didnt really enjoying eating them.. except like yoghurt and fruits...For instance, I try cooking Pasta, but I didn't dare to put the sauce as worry it may be too salty for him. And how do mummies out there process food like pasta? And do mummies start to give your child outside food as well like fishball noodle?

lynnie85

And my son love his biscuit but my mum say cannot give children so many perservative food and snack...if not he won't eat proper meal... and how do mummies deal with situation like that? although is your son, it somehow not under your control and have to follow my mum instruction especially in food *phew

apollo

I guess probably he is sick to the same old food which is porridge...as my mum is the one usually cook it and it will always contain fish and veg only...and of coz didnt comment too much about it...Am still trying to intro him with more varieties, but just not too sure how to make it look "delicious" for him. Had try sandwiches, pasta, baby cereal with cranberry so far...so far he didnt really enjoying eating them.. except like yoghurt and fruits...For instance, I try cooking Pasta, but I didn't dare to put the sauce as worry it may be too salty for him. And how do mummies out there process food like pasta? And do mummies start to give your child outside food as well like fishball noodle?
i think tt could be the reason y he lost interest in food. cos elderly will only gif fish (esp threadfin) to kids everyday cos they assume fish is v healthy but they forgot tt kids need other foods too.

since ur boy is 1yo+ alrdy, u can try to gif him pork and chk.. for vege, i usually gif broccoli, spinach, sometimes will gif cauliflower, cabbage..

for pasta, i cook with chk or ikan bilis stock, serve with the soup cos i dunno hw to make the sauce (any kind soul can teach me? hehe..) if not i will cook mee sua for him..

for ds's brekkie he will have cereal or pancake. if not will gif bread..
lunch will be mee sua, pasta or porridge
dinner usually will be rice + soup, or just gif porridge if we're going out.

if u wan the food to be delicious, mayb u can try adding some stock lik ikan bilis, chk, or pork stok into his porridge. it taste nice for them =)

And my son love his biscuit but my mum say cannot give children so many perservative food and snack...if not he won't eat proper meal... and how do mummies deal with situation like that? although is your son, it somehow not under your control and have to follow my mum instruction especially in food *phew

ds also loves biscuits. i will only gif if he finish his previous meal. if he didnt finish, or eats v lil, i will not gif any biscuits until he finish the next meal. so if he finish his meal, awhile later will serve him some biscuit as snack.

and during evening time, usually we will gif him some fruits.esp nw he can chew, we will gif him a small slice of apple, let him chew and eat on his own. if not will be papaya, banana, kiwi.. we trying to gif him fruits everyday =)

diymummy

You can try different varieties of fish other than just one kind. So far I gave threadfin (aka ngor herh aka ikan kurau) and cod and salmon. His infant care also gives dory.

Above 1yo, you can also give minced pork with egg or tofu. You can also cook the porridge in chicken/pork or vege stock for taste.

For pasta sauce you can make your own pasta sauce without the salt or with minimal amounts of it.

stonston

My friend's girl just turned one and I gave her baked pasta, she LOVE IT.
She normally get porridge with fish and vege. Then she will spit out once she eat enough to not feel hungry.
When she ate the baked pasta, she kept coming back for me, even went to my maid to ask my maid to feed her from my son's plate!

Very simple recipe:
- Pasta (boil in water with a few drops of olive oil, boil softer so that it's easier to chew & swallow)

Sauce:
- 25g unsalted butter (or 1tbsp of olive oil if you do not want to intro butter yet)
- 25g plain flour
- some milk (can use baby's regular formula)
- additional: chicken, fish, vege, etc
* the other day I actually boil chicken drumstick (large), then I use the stock to add to the sauce to reduce the milky taste & I shred the chicken meat to add into the sauce.
Can also boil the vege (e.g. carrot) with the chicken, then mash up and add into the sauce.)

Method:
- Boil pasta in a seperate pot
- Heat up oil/melt butter
- Fry ingredients lightly (can add chopped large onion for flavour & boost immune system)
- Add flour to fry (it should absorb the oil/butter)
- Add liquid slowly and stir well (can add chicken stock instead of milk or mix). Add in enough liquid till you get the desired texture.

If you have oven or toaster:
Grease a metal/glass bowl. I use those disposable aluminium tray cos we don't have enough bakeware :p
Place the cooked pasta in, then cover the pasta with the sauce.
Top it off with cheese (I use mozerella cos it's not salty), just a little bit will do.
Bake in oven till cheese is slightly brown.

If you have not introduced cheese yet, can omit it. Then the pasta will be with cream sauce, that's all. :)

Can use the same recipe for fish or pork :)

If you don't want cream base, can do tomato base (but so far we tried, my boy likes this but my friend's girl dun like).

- Fresh tomato, remove pulp (with seeds) & skin.
- Other ingredients like chicken/fish/pork/vege
- Chopped large onions

Fry the onions lightly in some olive oil (btw, I only use organic extra virgin olive oil for the kids).
Fry the tomato until soft & use the frying slice to mash up the tomato.
Add some stock to let the tomato boil until it becomes a sauce.
Add in the chicken/fish/meat/vege.

Best if can get those organic tomato which are bright red colour and slightly soft to touch. Those are sweeter and not so sour so kids prefer that.

lynnie85

i think that could be the reason y he lost interest in food. cos elderly will only give fish (esp threadfin) to kids everyday cos they assume fish is very healthy but they forgot that kids need other foods too.

since your boy is 1yo+ alrdy, you can try to give him pork and chk.. for vege, i usually give broccoli, spinach, sometimes will give cauliflower, cabbage..

for pasta, i cook with chk or ikan bilis stock, serve with the soup cos i dont know hw to make the sauce (any kind soul can teach me? hehe..) if not i will cook mee sua for him..

for dear son's brekkie he will have cereal or pancake. if not will give bread..
lunch will be mee sua, pasta or porridge
dinner usually will be rice + soup, or just give porridge if we're going out.

if you want the food to be delicious, mayb you can try adding some stock lik ikan bilis, chk, or pork stok into his porridge. it taste nice for them =)

dear son also loves biscuits. i will only give if he finish his previous meal. if he didnt finish, or eats very lil, i will not give any biscuits until he finish the next meal. so if he finish his meal, awhile later will serve him some biscuit as snack.
and during evening time, usually we will give him some fruits.esp now he can chew, we will give him a small slice of apple, let him chew and eat on his own. if not will be papaya, banana, kiwi.. we trying to give him fruits everyday =)

Wow...the meal you gave your son has already open my appetite. I shall try this out! Thank you for sharing these to me!

As for veg, my mum usually gave spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoe, tomatoe a
nd long beans...and my son will eat this for lunch and dinner...and sometimes i try cooking pasta but failed to attract my boy to eat...except feeding him fruits without much effort..

Will try your method and see whether can work on him. becoz he is pretty determine..when dun give him his biscuit, he will cry and shout one lor...

lynnie85

You can try different varieties of fish other than just one kind. So far I gave threadfin (aka ngor herh aka ikan kurau) and cod and salmon. His infant care also gives dory.

Above 1yo, you can also give minced pork with egg or tofu. You can also cook the porridge in chicken/pork or vege stock for taste.

For pasta sauce you can make your own pasta sauce without the salt or with minimal amounts of it.

My mum only gave him the wu yu...not even salmon and cod as she say he is still too young...so sometimes, it seem so hard to let her know...

apollo

My mum only gave him the wu yu...not even salmon and cod as she say he is still too young...so sometimes, it seem so hard to let her know...
ur son is 13mth old alrdy, he can try lotsa food actu. for ds, he ust passed his 1yo bday. and we let him try all sorts of vege/fish. when my mum cook, she will leave a small portion for him w/o putting seasoning. but those fishes with high mercury, we dun let him eat.

lynnie85

Am trying hard to expose him for more varieties, just sometimes very difficult to explain to my mum as most of the time she make decision... Probably this is my first child so am not aware wat is gd...that's why always seek opionion from my mum...but sometimes over dependant to it, I find it difficult if I want to intro new food to my son as my mum will say cannot lar... too young...muz eat fish as it is better...chicken and pork are all injected with hormones... *phew

apollo

Wow...the meal you gave your son has already open my appetite. I shall try this out! Thank you for sharing these to me!

As for veg, my mum usually gave spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoe, tomatoe aneed long beans...and my son will eat this for lunch and dinner...and sometimes i try cooking pasta but failed to attract my boy to eat...except feeding him fruits without much effort..

Will try your method and see whether can work on him. becoz he is pretty determine..when dont give him his biscuit, he will cry and shout one ...
haha u're welcome! cos there was a time ds dun lik solid food, ate v lil. so i got no choice but to expose him with more variaties and only this way, he can get diffe kinds of nutrition from diffe foods =)

so far ds will not scream for food *keep my finger crossed* i think maybe during all this while we onlygif him biscuits AFTER he finished his meal, if he dun, sry no snacks until the next meal. so he kind of get it clear alrdy =)

Am trying hard to expose him for more varieties, just sometimes very difficult to explain to my mum as most of the time she make decision... Probably this is my first child so am not aware what is good...that's why always seek opionion from my mum...but sometimes over dependant to it, I find it difficult if I want to intro new food to my son as my mum will say cannot ... too young...must eat fish as it is better...chicken and pork are all injected with hormones... *phew
my mum said can get those kampong chk, she said is better for kids instead of those frozen ones. ur son also nd nutrients from diffe foods. honestly speaking, i rather seek advices from the mummies here than my mum cos to them, they follow 'old method' while we follow what doctors tell us, what we read and research from books and online, which i feel that will be more accurate to follow

ust my humble 2 cents worth =)