Pregnant and terminated

Hi Mummies,

I'm into my last trimester and i just got notified that i had been terminated from service without any compensation. And the thing is there is no official letter stating the reason or whatsoever, it was via sms.

As to my knowledge, i think i shoulds till be entitled to the maternity benefits right? I had been with the company since April till now.

I dun wana make things big, i just wana get back what i should be entitled to...

At the same time, im also looking out for part time data entry jobs as i still need to have income coming in coz i still got a 16 months child at home...any recommendations??

Please help!!!

Phoebii Cheng

Yea I agree with Edy....why so unprofessional to terminate u via sms? and did they state the reason why they terminate u?

Are you a permanent staff or part-time staff? did they give u an employment letter stating the benefits? If they hv given u an employment letter, read up the clauses first before you go to MOM. And did ur company know that u r pregnant when they hire u?

If they know abt ur pregnancy and terminate u it is an offence, you can go to MOM to complain abt them.

And if they dismiss u without sufficient cause within 3months before ur delivery, they are required to pay u the maternity benefits.

Yea I agree with Edy....why so unprofessional to terminate you via sms? and did they state the reason why they terminate you?

Are you a permanent staff or part-time staff? did they give you an employment letter stating the benefits? If they have given you an employment letter, read up the clauses first before you go to MOM. And did your company know that you r pregnant when they hire you?

If they know about your pregnancy and terminate you it is an offence, you can go to MOM to complain about them.

And if they dismiss you without sufficient cause within 3months before your delivery, they are required to pay you the maternity benefits.
They did not state the reason for the termination, and i'm a full time staff there. Before i started on the job, i did make it clear to the bossthat i just found out that im pregnant and see if he is still willingto employ me, and he said he is perfectly fine with it.

I also have the employment contract, and i did call the MOM just now, but its always unanswered...it's just so frustrating..:shyxxx:

Phoebii Cheng

They did not state the reason for the termination, and i'm a full time staff there. Before i started on the job, i did make it clear to the bossthat i just found out that im pregnant and see if he is still willingto employ me, and he said he is perfectly fine with it.

I also have the employment contract, and i did call the MOM just now, but its always unanswered...it's just so frustrating..:shyxxx:
Mayb you go down personally to MOM to complain....it's really unfair to terminate u and u r already in ur 3rd trimester

diymummy

Here's the news article:
Channel NewsAsia - Labour Court to handle PMEs salary dispute - channelnewsasia.com

Labour Court to handle PMEs salary dispute
By Mustafa Shafawi | Posted: 27 August 2010 1254 hrs

SINGAPORE: Professionals, Managers and Executives (PMEs) earning monthly salaries of up to S$4,500 will soon be able to make use of the Labour Court's adjudication process for their salary disputes.

The Manpower Ministry (MOM) said the court will be able to handle salary disputes involving sums of up to S$20,000.

Based on its data, the ministry said all claims lodged by PMEs fall within this limit.

The provision is part of a proposed tripartite employment dispute resolution mechanism for PMEs and employers, which was first announced in January.

The mechanism which covers PMEs earning monthly salaries of up to S$4,500 monthly is now being put up for a two-week public consultation.

MOM said the proportion of PMEs in the workforce has increased significantly and is likely to increase in the future.

With increased economic volatility and shorter business cycles, it said more PMEs may face employment disputes with their employers.

The mechanism provides PMEs and employers an avenue to settle their employment disputes speedily and at low-cost.

MOM said this will help bring about more harmonious workplace relations.

It said potentially, more than 500,000 or half of all PMEs in the workforce and their employers will have access to the new employment dispute mechanism involving adjudication and tripartite mediation.

-CNA/wk

lekdao

Hi Mummies,

I'm into my last trimester and i just got notified that i had been terminated from service without any compensation. And the thing is there is no official letter stating the reason or whatsoever, it was via sms.

As to my knowledge, i think i shoulds till be entitled to the maternity benefits right? I had been with the company since April till now.

I dont want to make things big, i just want to get back what i should be entitled to...

At the same time, im also looking out for part time data entry jobs as i still need to have income coming in coz i still got a 16 months child at home...any recommendations??

Please help!!!

Same here, i was terminated when i am in my last trimester after with the company close to 10 years service. The reason they gave me is my work performance is not up to standard.

When i was assigned to new job scope, no one guide me or tell me what their expectation of the new role. And all along the boss did not comment anything abt my work performance. Whatever i implentmented, i got approval and said that is very good. In the end they gave me such reason asking me to leave. My boss even can tell me he fought very hard for me the 4 months maternity benifts. i really wanna LOL infront of him when he told me that. However, the company compensate me 4 mths (maternity leaves) + 1 mth (notice of termination).

When this happened, i called MOM too. They told me that so long the company compensate you the 4 mths maternity, the company can terminate you. So in the end, MOM still side the employer. I did not go down to MOM personally coz in my last trimester not easy to move ard.

For your case, personally go down to MOM get them to help you to fight for the 4mths matenity leaves compensation. dun let the company get away so easily.

Gem2505

the company CANNOT terminate you 6months before your confinement date. I called MOM just now coz i had problem with my HR and my manager on my confirmation. They extend my probation due to my high MC. which i think its not high lar. MOM lady told me that there is no law covered for probation pregnant lady. so i cant do anything against the company.
however, the lady say they cannot terminate any pregnant staff 6mths before confinement else they have to compensate 16weeks salary. you definitely can fight this case and win it. show the SMS to them. i got an ex-colleague whom is in the same situation as you, got the compensation in the end.
fight for our RIGHTS!

TANZHENZHI

They are so unprofessional even termination also need a proper clearance about your job. Hope you can get back your entitlement benefits. Take care and wish you a smooth delivery.

Beetroot

ya, i agree u shud fight for ur entitlement. I was terminated before i started work, my situation actually was supposed to start work in previous company. I was on contract for 3 yrs and due to economy crisis, the project was postponed and I got released in Oct last year. Early this year, in Jan they called me back and I supposed to sign my appointment letter before CNY but I was away so it dragged until Mar.

After I signed the appointment letter with HR, I told my boss that I am pregnant, he got very shocked and told me I shud hv called him to tell him. They void my contract by saying that I purposely hide from them. A few days later I called HR back and tell him, if I have the intention to hide, I would choose to start work first. Moreover, the appointment letter actually supposed to sign before CNY.....I don't think that is the hinder. Anyway, MOM can't do anything also cuz they said I havent start work.

I only can say here still doesn't have a proper rules and regulations to protect pregnancy employers.

Same here, i was terminated when i am in my last trimester after with the company close to 10 years service. The reason they gave me is my work performance is not up to standard.

When i was assigned to new job scope, no one guide me or tell me what their expectation of the new role. And all along the boss did not comment anything about my work performance. Whatever i implentmented, i got approval and said that is very good. In the end they gave me such reason asking me to leave. My boss even can tell me he fought very hard for me the 4 months maternity benifts. i really wanna LOL infront of him when he told me that. However, the company compensate me 4 mths (maternity leaves) + 1 month (notice of termination).

When this happened, i called MOM too. They told me that so long the company compensate you the 4 mths maternity, the company can terminate you. So in the end, MOM still side the employer. I did not go down to MOM personally coz in my last trimester not easy to move around.

For your case, personally go down to MOM get them to help you to fight for the 4mths matenity leaves compensation. dont let the company get away so easily.
The reason that they gave me for termination was super vague, what company revenue...:embarrassed:

Till today, they didnt even bother to give me a proper explanation nor a termination letter. Even my colleagues in the office weren't officially informed that i am no longer with the company. It is that bad!!

I had already booked an appointment with the MOM officer, going down on Friday, hope they can really help me with it...Now i can only look for home-based assignments, since im gg to due in 2 mths time...

Gem2505

The reason that they gave me for termination was super vague, what company revenue...:embarrassed:

Till today, they didnt even bother to give me a proper explanation nor a termination letter. Even my colleagues in the office weren't officially informed that i am no longer with the company. It is that bad!!

I had already booked an appointment with the MOM officer, going down on Friday, hope they can really help me with it...Now i can only look for home-based assignments, since im gg to due in 2 mths time...
hmm. no worries. im quite sure they will face their music afterwhich. awaits your 16 weeks salary then. good luck n update us =) so we learn from it and know what to expect if this happens to anyone around us.

If a company terminates a pregnant employee in her 3rd trimester, the company is liable to law suit whether or not she is covered under employment act I think.
Fight for your right.
Everytime such things happened, ladies are advise to go MOM but MOM will always push the matter here and there.

So much for encouraging births in singapore.

stonston

If MOM refuse to help you, PM me. There's somewhere you can email to if you have evidence of unfair termination. Sure fast action taken.