SAHM - engage your babies all day long?

megtan

Hi SAHMs,
Anyone could share your daily lifestyle? Do you engage your babies every minute of his waking hours? Do you do your chores (cooking, washing) while he's napping or awake?

Besides bathing and feeding (breastfeeding on demand), I tried to sing and read to my boy (coming to 5 months), engage him in physical activities such as let him roll about (he can roll both ways now), stand up (he loves to stand), carry him round the house to see things, watch 15-30 mins of baby edu video...

Thinking that since I'm a SAHM, I should maximise my time with him but many times I find I ran out of things to do.

Hi SAHMs,
Anyone could share your daily lifestyle? Do you engage your babies every minute of his waking hours? Do you do your chores (cooking, washing) while he's napping or awake?

Besides bathing and feeding (breastfeeding on demand), I tried to sing and read to my boy (coming to 5 months), engage him in physical activities such as let him roll about (he can roll both ways now), stand up (he loves to stand), carry him round the house to see things, watch 15-30 mins of baby edu video...

Thinking that since I'm a stay at home mum, I should maximise my time with him but many times I find I ran out of things to do.
hahaha! im totally the opposite...............i do this online little biz with a partner and my DDs will call 'MOMMY! MOMMY! COME!' every 10-15mins haha to play with them (they love play-doh) sometimes i do snap! but i just mutter a little ^*&%$%# under my breath :tlaugh: how i love my ipod! they can stay mesmerized by the kiddy games for quite some time' :001_302::001_302::001_302:

jojoki

Hi SAHMs,

Thinking that since I'm a stay at home mum, I should maximise my time with him but many times I find I ran out of things to do.
mommy.. dunt worry about maximizing every of ur bb waking moments. Babies need down-time and free play. Its good to let him entertain himself. Takie him out for walks in the evening, occasionally swimming.. or u can try kindermusik for his age should be quite fun fr him.

I'm a sahm and I also fully bfeeding my 15 mths old... have fun!!

stonston

is there a book called something like '365 activities toddlers can do on their own?' :001_302::001_302::001_302:
On their own dun hv! Hahahhahahahahahahah else I also want!
Bu I hv the book 365 activities for toddlers.
My maid does follow it for my boy. ESP during holidays like now!

lilcactus

when my girl was 5 months old, i would carry her around in 1 hand and do housework with the other while telling her what i'm doing. other times, i would read stories to her, teach her words with those picture books, play toys with her, sing to her, let her play in her exersaucer etc... also let her watch a bit of nursery rhyme dvd.. when the weather is fine, or during evening times, i will put her in her stroller and we'll go for walks.

cocraze

Wah, your replies put me to shame!

I'm currently still staying with inlaws house so I only need to take care of baby's chores (feed FM,bathe, wash). And I play with her (use her toys let her develop motor skills) ONLY when she fussed a lot, not a regular scheduled duration everyday. So if she doesn't fuss, I leave her alone in her cot/feeding chair or bed to play wih her toys or suck on her teether, while I surf or do stuff on the computer. I can only do her chores/eat/go toilet when she's sleeping or if my inlaw is carrying her.

She's only started to roll over one side these two weeks, so Using those more developed toys are out of the question. When can start putting her in exersaucer? Is it recommended professionally, by your pediatrician ie no major side effects?

I know EVERYONE tells me I should read or sing to her but I'm like, how to read to her when she got ultra short attention span? And where do you all source the books from? I think I'm quite a lazy stay at home mum .... Oops :(

Porukadotzu

Wah, your replies put me to shame!

I'm currently still staying with inlaws house so I only need to take care of baby's chores (feed FM,bathe, wash). And I play with her (use her toys let her develop motor skills) ONLY when she fussed a lot, not a regular scheduled duration everyday. So if she doesn't fuss, I leave her alone in her cot/feeding chair or bed to play wih her toys or suck on her teether, while I surf or do stuff on the computer. I can only do her chores/eat/go toilet when she's sleeping or if my inlaw is carrying her.

She's only started to roll over one side these two weeks, so Using those more developed toys are out of the question. When can start putting her in exersaucer? Is it recommended professionally, by your pediatrician ie no major side effects?

I know EVERYONE tells me I should read or sing to her but I'm like, how to read to her when she got ultra short attention span? And where do you all source the books from? I think I'm quite a lazy stay at home mum .... Oops :(
hihihii...i think i have the same schedual as you...:001_302::001_302:

i also stay with inlaws, and worse, i have 2 babies to taking care to, but most of the time i leave my 2nd girl to my mother inlaw coz she like to sleep in yaolan during the day, and my 1st girl prefer to sleep on bed so i accompany her in the room.

so most of the time i went surfing and when they woke up i start to get busy again (feeding/bathing/playing with them), my mother inlaw is a great help taking care of my 2 girls when i need to prepare baby food or when i need to do my things.

with my 1st girl i still try to read and sing to her since she was very young, but my 2nd girl I can't do it everyday coz my 1st girl is already a handfull..hee~~

i also didn't set up a regular fixed "playing" time with my girls, coz everyday their mood is changing, sometimes they want to take their nap longer, but other times they want to play longer too.

I only bring them out to walk around when really reallyyyy bored at home..

jasobias

my daughter is 11 months..usually household chores i do when she naps.If she is awake then no choice but to do them while trying to entertain her as well.U cld sing songs to ur baby.My daughter loves songs coz i love singing all those nursery songs n stuff.She now loves all kinds of songs even pop n hip pop..wld hum n dance to the tune.
Bringing baby out for errands or a walk is a great destresser for both mum n baby.
i brought my baby out every day.Now tht its the school hols..i bring out all 3 of my kids.Sometimes to places of interest or the playground or just for a walk.
While out with baby u can always point out things he can see..like flowers,dogs,cats etc

NIisme

I'm same with porukadotzu and cocraze.
Never really entertain her much. When she wake up for milk I feed her, after milk she will entertain herself by talking to herself (non stop topic. Lol)
she only make a fuss when her diaper wet, feeding time or sleepy.
Even now I am typing this, I'm lying beside her listening to her talking to herself.
:)

cocraze

By the way those who are looking for ideas of things to do, you can surf babycenter website. Sign up for their regular newsletter by rgisterin and providing your child's DOB, the system will email you once a week(I thnk) with articles and activities/exercises you can do with your child that week(link is Let's play!). Some articles are cross-shared across the websites from different countries (such as babycenter UK) so the cultural context can be different. So adapt those exercises you think you can try with your child.

cocraze

my daughter is 11 months..usually household chores i do when she naps.If she is awake then no choice but to do them while trying to entertain her as well.you cld sing songs to your baby.My daughter loves songs coz i love singing all those nursery songs n stuff.She now loves all kinds of songs even pop n hip pop..wld hum n dance to the tune.
Bringing baby out for errands or a walk is a great destresser for both mum n baby.
i brought my baby out every day.Now tht its the school hols..i bring out all 3 of my kids.Sometimes to places of interest or the playground or just for a walk.
While out with baby you can always point out things he can see..like flowers,dogs,cats etc
Agree that bringing baby out is great destressor. My girl loves going out, so much so that she would fuss to be brought out. This June Hols I'm usually at my mums place on weekdays cos my 4 nieces/nephews are there to play with my girl and I can help them with their homework too.
Otherwise I would bring girl out for a walk in the evening if it's not raining. Or carry her in carrier go buy my groceries and her milk powder. Or just walk the shopping Ctr let her see see and let me keep my sanity... Haha. She keeps absolutely quiet and looks at pple and things once I step out of the house! *Even when she's absolutely tired, she would stay awake once she's outside, so it's been tiring when we needed to run errands for our new flat.*

I'm same with porukadotzu and cocraze.
Never really entertain her much. When she wake up for milk I feed her, after milk she will entertain herself by talking to herself (non stop topic. Lol)
she only make a fuss when her diaper wet, feeding time or sleepy.*
Even now I am typing this, I'm lying beside her listening to her talking to herself.*
:)
Your girl so cute! Talk and entertain herself! Mine does so only for a short while, and ONLY when she is in good mood, otherwise she will fuss and want me to be near her/in her sight.*

Mummy to Baby V

My home-visit nurse recommends a mixture of interactive play and independent play daily, which I followed until today (boy is 16 months old). When he was a baby, I'd interact and play with him for 30min or so then let him entertain himself for 30min or until he needs me.

We read, sing, talk (with baby sign language), play silly games (peekaboo, etc), play rough games (practise doling over, crawling, etc).

Then I let him play by himself at play-gym or in cot surrounded by mobile & toys to explore for himself.

When he was about 9 months old and learning very fast, I ran out of ideas. We signed up for Shichida class and started at 14 months old. The programme gives me a good guide on what activities to engage my boy at home. We have 1 hour of homeschooling lessons every morning and creative free play at other times. It's very fun to be SAHM. :)

My boy is clingy during sleep, so I can only prepare his meals in the mornings and do simple chores when hubby is back.

cocraze

My home-visit nurse recommends a mixture of interactive play and independent play daily, which I followed until today (boy is 16 months old). When he was a baby, I'd interact and play with him for 30min or so then let him entertain himself for 30min or until he needs me.

We read, sing, talk (with baby sign language), play silly games (peekaboo, etc), play rough games (practise doling over, crawling, etc).

Then I let him play by himself at play-gym or in cot surrounded by mobile & toys to explore for himself.

When he was about 9 months old and learning very fast, I ran out of ideas. We signed up for Shichida class and started at 14 months old. The programme gives me a good guide on what activities to engage my boy at home. We have 1 hour of homeschooling lessons every morning and creative free play at other times. It's very fun to be stay at home mum. :)

My boy is clingy during sleep, so I can only prepare his meals in the mornings and do simple chores when hubby is back.
You do the 1 hour of homeschooling with him yourself? Can share what resources/references/books you use?

Mummy to Baby V

You do the 1 hour of homeschooling with him yourself? Can share what resources/references/books you use?
In the meantime, I mainly follow guidance from Shichida's Parent Education Course and Home-Practice Sharing Session.

Activities include:
- Senses play
- Image play
- Pretend play
- Flashcards (mainly from Shichida, or home-made) covering various topics, picture sentences, mathematics
- Reading & speed-reading
- Photographic memory
- Linking memory
- Puzzles (lift-out puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, matching puzzles)
- Abacus play
- Singing (incorporating baby hand-signs)
- Playing with musical instruments
- Scribbling / doodling, drawing, colouring (going to start painting soon)
- Physical exercise / play (kick ball, climb, chase, jump, etc)
- Water play in bath tub

In the 1 hour, we do a mixture of the above. Most important thing is have fun while learning. I also follow my boy's cue on his preference for the day. E.g. If he wants to read more books and skip the abacus, i'd go with his flow.

Each activity is kept very short & sweet (just a few minutes unless he insists) so that he does not get bored. I also need to maintain a happy and enthusiastic mood to keep him interested.

During lesson, the room is kept cluttered-free (e.g. no toys lying around) to minimise distraction. So far, we have been enjoying the home lessons. With more time, it'd be even better to personalize own materials (e.g. books, puzzles, flashcards).

jojoki

In the meantime, I mainly follow guidance from Shichida's Parent Education Course and Home-Practice Sharing Session.

Activities include:
- Senses play
- Image play
- Pretend play
- Flashcards (mainly from Shichida, or home-made) covering various topics, picture sentences, mathematics
- Reading & speed-reading
- Photographic memory
- Linking memory
- Puzzles (lift-out puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, matching puzzles)
- Abacus play
- Singing (incorporating baby hand-signs)
- Playing with musical instruments
- Scribbling / doodling, drawing, colouring (going to start painting soon)
- Physical exercise / play (kick ball, climb, chase, jump, etc)
- Water play in bath tub

In the 1 hour, we do a mixture of the above. Most important thing is have fun while learning. I also follow my boy's cue on his preference for the day. E.g. If he wants to read more books and skip the abacus, i'd go with his flow.

Each activity is kept very short & sweet (just a few minutes unless he insists) so that he does not get bored. I also need to maintain a happy and enthusiastic mood to keep him interested.

During lesson, the room is kept cluttered-free (e.g. no toys lying around) to minimise distraction. So far, we have been enjoying the home lessons. With more time, it'd be even better to personalize own materials (e.g. books, puzzles, flashcards).
hi mievee,

u mind explaining how u do the following please? esp the abacus I have yet to start on her. wud appreciate if can share with me. THe rest more or less I am doing with my toddler di.

- Senses play
- Image play
- Photographic memory
- Linking memory
- Abacus play

TIA

Mummy to Baby V

hi mievee,

you mind explaining how you do the following please? esp the abacus I have yet to start on her. wud appreciate if can share with me. THe rest more or less I am doing with my toddler di.

- Senses play
- Image play
- Photographic memory
- Linking memory
- Abacus play

TIA
I am still learning and not qualified to teach the methods. The best way is to learn from a suitable centre. Generally,

- Senses play: sharpen child's senses. E.g. one card with triangle & one card with square. Shuffle and ask him to find the square card. Or cover 2 fruits in containers, let him smell and find the correct food. There are many types of senses play.

- Image play: get child to image something in his mind

- Photographic memory: e.g. show 1 picture for a few seconds. After that, show 2 picture which are very similar except for 1 slight difference. Ask child to identify the correct picture.

- Linking memory: use small picture cards to form silly stories and show to child. After that, place the cards face down in the story sequence and ask child to identify the correct card. Start with 3-6 cards and slowly add more.

- Abacus play: I use the Ikea toy abacus with 100 beads. Do rapid & loud counting, e.g. 1-10, even numbers, odd numbers, addition, in different languages. We use the Shichida Addition +1 to +10 songs CD too. You can probably make up your own songs.

The above is very basic of what can be easily done at home. More challenging activities are introduced as the child grows older. If you are interested, do learn from a suitable centre. :)

Last edited:

jojoki

I am still learning and not qualified to teach the methods. The best way is to learn from a suitable centre. Generally,

- Senses play: sharpen child's senses. E.g. one card with triangle & one card with square. Shuffle and ask him to find the square card. Or cover 2 fruits in containers, let him smell and find the correct food. There are many types of senses play.

- Image play: get child to image something in his mind

- Photographic memory: e.g. show 1 picture for a few seconds. After that, show 2 picture which are very similar except for 1 slight difference. Ask child to identify the correct picture.

- Linking memory: use small picture cards to form silly stories and show to child. After that, place the cards face down in the story sequence and ask child to identify the correct card. Start with 3-6 cards and slowly add more.

- Abacus play: I use the Ikea toy abacus with 100 beads. Do rapid & loud counting, e.g. 1-10, even numbers, odd numbers, addition, in different languages. We use the Shichida Addition +1 to +10 songs CD too. You can probably make up your own songs.

The above is very basic of what can be easily done at home. More challenging activities are introduced as the child grows older. If you are interested, do learn from a suitable centre. :)
would love to if i can afford :001_302:

Mummy to Baby V

would love to if i can afford :001_302:
Hi jojoki, I also wish that good educational methods could be made affordable to all children. If budget is a concern, consider getting the books by Glenn Doman (refer to Storefront) and make your own materials. I'm not sure where retailers in Singapore are.

The method is different from Shichida and I think does not include senses/image play. At least the parts on reading & Math should help. The system repeats flashcards on quite a number of days, so if the child is bored (I.e. already knows the stuff), just move on and use new cards.

I sincerely believe that children learn fastest and easiest at age 0-3, so it is important to teach them when they are thirsty for knowledge. Have fun with baby! :)