scallops & small silver fish as porridge stock everyday

tayenee

sorry mummies..another qn on solids..

im using 5 small scallops (each abt 5 cent size) + 1 tbspl of small silver fish as my bb's porridge stock everyday.... izit too salty for him to take on a daily basis? cos when i taste the porridge, it is actually tasteless

apollo

YES! it is very salty for a 8mth old (i saw from another thread tt ur son is 8mth old). ds is 16mth old, and he still haven try dried scallops porridge cos i feel tt it's too salty. We adults dont feel tt it is salty but to babies, their tastebud is v sensitive.

I've been cooking homemade stock for ds's porridge. Use chk bones to cook chk stock, Ikan bilis stock.. but most of the time, we use chk stock. sometimes will use pumpkin to let the porridge taste abit sweet. =)

tayenee

Oh no... My mum says it's okie cos d qty is not alot. Bt Im sure Its salty. ikan bilis is also salty right? Apart from chix bone, is there others I can use?

Domique

fyi my son is 20 months and i only use one scallop, 20cents size for one meal of porridge.

apollo

i tried both silver fish and ikan bilis, i feel tt silver fish is more salty.. and the ikan bilis i boil in a big pot, freeze in the freezer using those ice cube. each time i wanna use, i throw in 1 cube (when he was slightly younger than now) and nw i will use 2 cubes. but i seldom use ikan bilis when he was young, mostly chk stock. and nowadays i also use red dates or wolfberries..

but dried scallop, i personally feel tt it is very salty.. mayb u wanna let him try when he is older lik 1yo or even 2? =)

lekdao

Oh no... My mum says it's okie cos d qty is not alot. Bt Im sure Its salty. ikan bilis is also salty right? Apart from chix bone, is there others I can use?
I used dried scallops from japan which is sweet, from china is salty.

Can use lean pork / chicken breast / fish bone with onion (fried the bone with ginger to get rid of the fishy smell) or make veg stock (carrots, corns, onion with Brocoli).

If wanna use ikan billis, after wash rinse thru with hot water before you make the stock.

CanCanMum

sorry mummies..another qn on solids..

im using 5 small scallops (each about 5 cent size) + 1 tbspl of small silver fish as my baby's porridge stock everyday.... izit too salty for him to take on a daily basis? cos when i taste the porridge, it is actually tasteless
i normally use bah tau (pork loin in english if i m not wrong) to cook the stock den add threadfin and vegetables for Baber when he was still a baby. He eats fish everyday for lunch. The bah tau is discarded coz too hard to bite.

perhaps u can change the stock as and when with certain food combinations. Personally i find silver fish and scallop stock tastes very well with potato+chicken porridge, or carrot+pork porridge. Whereas threadfin and spinach porridge works well with lean meat stock alone.

tayenee

thanks mummies! yep, i will usu rinse the scallop + silverfish with hot water bef boiling into stock. im using the japanese scallops that are sweet in taste thou.. mayb i shd omit the silverfish (my mum calls it boon fish) is it the same as threadfin?

btw, chix stock / pork stock is it oily? my DS gags at the taste of minced pork... wonder if he will like the stock or not...

diymummy

silver fish is not thread fin. thread fin is also known as ngor herh, wu yu or ikan kurau.

chix stock and pork stock if you omit the fats, it won't be oily. bak tau is loin pork. it has very little, or no fats at all.

chix stock what i do is i go to the market to buy chicken breast. i ask the guy to de-bone the chix. the chix i can cut it up into small pieces for my son to eat or shred it after cooking it or just use it for my own consumption. the bone, you can boil in a pot of water. 1 bone should be able to give you quite a lot of tasty stock. i use 1 set of chicken breast bones to abt 600-700ml water to boil. so tasty!

but because it is bones, need to stand over the fire while it is boiling to scoop away some of the blood/fats whatever stuff. it will appear white and foamy, floating on the top of the pot while it boils. just scoop it up. very easy.

apollo

nope threadfin is a type of fish, not those tiny sliver fish. u can get from market, tell the person u wan 'ngor he'.

i think chk and pork bones stock are ok, lik what diymummy said, just make sure the fats are removed. the lean meat can make the porridge sweet too, we used to use that b4 ds reach 1yo.. aft tt, mainly on chk stock, sometimes ikan bilis or yellow beans (but i dunno if yelloe beans is suitable for 8mth old anot). and we use pork bones for soup.

candy_ian

I used wolfberries for son's porridge when he was younger mayb like twice a wk? But red dates very seldom cos it's heaty. I put maybe abt 5-6 wolfberries for his porridge.

diymummy

wolfberries according to the medical hall which i buy from have sweeter ones and normal ones. the sweeter ones are bigger. i use the bigger ones with my son's veggies.

i don't use red dates. too heaty.

apollo

i use both wolfberries and red dates for ds's soup. and sometimes the chk stock we cook, will also add some wolfberries and red dates into it. =)

tayenee

ive tried 6 big wolfberry + threadfin fish as the porridge stock... bt the porridge is bland... :( .... how can i make sweeter stock... he loves scallop+silverfish+threadfin combi ...

apollo

ive tried 6 big wolfberry + threadfin fish as the porridge stock... bt the porridge is bland... :( .... how can i make sweeter stock... he loves scallop+silverfish+threadfin combi ...
did he manage to finished at least half of the portion given? or he totally reject the porridge aft tasting it?

if he is able to finish half of it, it is a good start. at least he can accept 'bland' food. =)

tayenee

he did managed to finish half a pot... (about 4 chinese porcelain rice spoon).. not sure if this is the usu intake for a meal?

diymummy

I feel you should continue on with the "bland" food to get him used to it. If you started any later, he would have rejected it completely.

Scallop + silverfish is very tasty because of the salt content.

My son's food didn't contain salt until he reached 18 mths.

xicloudix

I feel you should continue on with the "bland" food to get him used to it. If you started any later, he would have rejected it completely.

Scallop + silverfish is very tasty because of the salt content.

My son's food didn't contain salt until he reached 18 mths.

I didn't know cannot use scallop... i know silver fish very salty, i tot it was ok for scallop...

since around 5mths ++ (almost 6mths) i give my boy scallop + threadfin+ carrot/ spinach... he was ok at first... he can eat up till 1 table spoon for the 1st week and sometimes 2tablespoon until the 2nd week...

after that he totally reject porridge... what can i do? i tried different combination, lean meat, potato... but he still dun want, he keep gaggging on the porridge which is very very smooth already....

BTW cannot use too much carrot izziT? i heard not good?

diymummy

I try to avoid salt as much as I could lah.. But that's just me.. I think your son rejects porridge coz he's used to tasty porridge? How old is your son now? Maybe you can try introducing other things? Such as kway teow soup? You can cook the kway teow in chix stock with sliced fish and some veggies.

Orange vegetables contain beta-carotene. It can cause skin to turn yellow/orange. A bit is fine. Don't overdoes. :p