single parent support group

shi_san_yee

Xie xie!!! You guys have been very warm and welcoming. I will surely list down my queries. :)

As it is, no husband + new baby = half the resources, double the expenditure, i'm just worried abt medical expenses. Right now trying to plan and see if I should stick with my current gynae, or go to KK and Q-up. I paid my gynae $700 ($450 medisave claimable) 2 mths ago for a package which includes consultation only. But i know there is the hospital suites (also medisave partial claimable), and on top of that the gynae's delivery charges. Just to get an idea, can someone give me a ballpark amt, a rough estimate? I wanna see how much i'm dealing with then can make some financial plans.

ANother thing, did you all get some sort of insurance plan for baby?

Ting

oh my, i cant rmb paying how much..
cos i nvr take any package..
for me, i was under the subsidy thingy for KKH.
then when i went to deliver... iirc, tt time i used my dad's medisave.. think like 2K plus, then baby's expenses was paid by my medisave, think 200 plus.
i dun rmb i paid any cash but im not sure if my parents helped me pay anything in cash or what.. but i doubt so.
iirc, after tt, they did refund me abt 200 plus (for my medical bills)...
i think it will be better that u go to check with KKH first, n see what suits un your budget.... :)

JoyBliss

Xie xie!!! You guys have been very warm and welcoming. I will surely list down my queries. :)

ANother thing, did you all get some sort of insurance plan for baby?
Hi Shi-san-yi, welcome to mummysg, there are many support here. Be stong ya :) I also learning on this insu. topic. Hope you find the link useful 2

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f107/insurance-your-child-2503/

What I gathered, to cover immed. ST: medical insu., PA & LT: educational endow & life. A financial planner told me it is not so critical to buy life for BB now though it is cheaper to buy when he's younger. From view of life expectancy, more imptly is to get life insu. for the parent, add a rider, so that anything happen to the parent, the policy still effective.

Happy researching! Take care

shi_san_yee

Yah I was speaking to another mtb on insurance plans.. SHe suggested something by AIA. After looking up more, i realised there are ALOT.

Joybliss: yah i agree it's impt to have something that keeps the plan effective if something happens to me, since I'm the only parent. How much is the premium of the plan/mth you intend to take up? THink it's impt to have medical/hospitalisation/life at first then later on then take up education? I saw a brochure by GE, apparently not applicable coz i got no baby bonus, think that one does tie up with gvt payouts.

Ting: Now I'm with Mt alvernia, if i wanna go KK, i must get referral rite. I read from CPF site that medisave can claim some, except for gynae's fee. That is my immediate worry, coz suddenly fork out lump sum la.

Amulet

Yah I was speaking to another mtb on insurance plans.. SHe suggested something by AIA. After looking up more, i realised there are ALOT.

Joybliss: yah i agree it's impt to have something that keeps the plan effective if something happens to me, since I'm the only parent. How much is the premium of the plan/month you intend to take up? THink it's impt to have medical/hospitalisation/life at first then later on then take up education? I saw a brochure by GE, apparently not applicable coz i got no baby bonus, think that one does tie up with gvt payouts.

Ting: Now I'm with Mt alvernia, if i wanna go KK, i must get referral rite. I read from CPF site that medisave can claim some, except for gynae's fee. That is my immediate worry, coz suddenly fork out lump sum .
but u already paid ur gynae $700+ for the package liao.. dropping it now is damn wasting wor...

try to claim as much medisave as possible?

kinberuri

Hi all,

I am married but declared as a single mother when i am 2 mths pregnant.
Both of us are consider unoffically seperated cos of his affairs out there and his mother told me to take it as nothing has happen when i told her.
Then a choice the marriage or child.
Of cos, my child!
Therefore, i really appreciate if all of u can include me of any events (if there is) for all single parents as i believe, we need the morale support from each other.

JoyBliss

Joybliss: yah i agree it's impt to have something that keeps the plan effective if something happens to me, since I'm the only parent. How much is the premium of the plan/month you intend to take up? THink it's impt to have medical/hospitalisation/life at first then later on then take up education? I saw a brochure by GE, apparently not applicable coz i got no baby bonus, think that one does tie up with gvt payouts.

Hi shi-san-yi,
I'm a single mom too :) I check out my rider, and it's outside my budget. So I'm shelfing the idea for now...

For my son. I'm thinking of max. $100/mth for medical insu (PA, Accident/Hospitalisation) Most probaby those term insu... cheaper

Ya lor... for us, usually have to fork out cash $$$... So have to plan wisely with our limited resource. GE has several like a School Protection Plan for educational, not link to CDA. Good to plan ahead, but I think no rush until you stablised the immediate living expenses and baby stuffs :) Yo,.. having a baby around is very expensive hahaha... but rewarding :tlaugh:

Welcome to Motherhood!!

JoyBliss

Hi all,

I am married but declared as a single mother when i am 2 mths pregnant.
Both of us are consider unoffically seperated cos of his affairs out there and his mother told me to take it as nothing has happen when i told her.
Then a choice the marriage or child.
Of cos, my child!
Therefore, i really appreciate if all of you can include me of any events (if there is) for all single parents as i believe, we need the morale support from each other.
Welcome, Kinberuri :)

shi_san_yee

ahhh!!! so expensive lah... :eek:

amulet: yah lor actually my stupid gynae package, i shouldn't have gone for it. the moment i paid, his attitude so one kind. each time i go, he seems to be in a hurry, just anyhow scan, see heartbeat, then can liao. and the scan he always snaps a picture that quite honestly i can't even make out it is a baby. super no effort. the medisave part can only claim $450. his delivery charges, cannot claim at all. SIAN..

Joybliss: what u mean by term insurance? the 3 or 5 yr kind? those kind 100/mth have ah?

Kinberuri: Hi hi, i also just came into this forum. Mummies here really v friendly n helpful. :)

JoyBliss

ahhh!!! so expensive ... :eek:

Joybliss: what you mean by term insurance? the 3 or 5 your kind? those kind 100/month have ?

:)
X to me hee... (i'm including the care-giver fee, transport)

Ya, short-term maybe 16/19-20yr plan.

[This is the part I'm still researching]
It seems various plan combine many diff. aspect.. PA, medical expenses up to cash cover etc, but hospitalisation coverage not much etc etc... so I budgetted all in (medical insu: pa + hospitalisation etc etc) @ max. $100/mth, I'm not sure if this budget is stretched or overly

Or get a PA for BB, and cover BB under the parent medical/hospitalisation ins.?? All this in my consideration... As long as all within my budget! hee

I gathered. PA is cheaper at $20-50 per mth. Beside AIA Star, I found GE "Junior Protector" that covers even T-C-M medical expenses, cover 1-16yr, renewal until 75yr. You have any review on this policy?

Anyway, just sharing and researching on ins. like you too, welcoming any feedback or addresss any wrong understanding :shyxxx:

Last edited:

shi_san_yee

X to me hee... (i'm including the care-giver fee, transport)

Ya, short-term maybe 16/19-20yr plan.

[This is the part I'm still researching]
It seems various plan combine many diff. aspect.. PA, medical expenses up to cash cover etc, but hospitalisation coverage not much etc etc... so I budgetted all in (medical insu: pa + hospitalisation etc etc) @ max. $100/month, I'm not sure if this budget is stretched or overly

Or get a PA for baby, and cover baby under the parent medical/hospitalisation ins.?? All this in my consideration... As long as all within my budget! hee

I gathered. PA is cheaper at $20-50 per month. Beside AIA Star, I found GE "Junior Protector" that covers even T-C-M medical expenses, cover 1-16yr, renewal until 75yr. You have any review on this policy?

Anyway, just sharing and researching on ins. like you too, welcoming any feedback or addresss any wrong understanding :shyxxx:
yup i looked at the GE one. It's pretty standardized, similar to many of the other providers. Quite comprehensive I thought. But the AIA one (gen3) has some returns yrly. I might go for the comprehensive ones, no frills la, but more costly la. But before all that... delivery charges, CL, gynae and hospitalisation is the headache before all.:err:

Amulet

amulet: yah actually my stupid gynae package, i shouldn't have gone for it. the moment i paid, his attitude so one kind. each time i go, he seems to be in a hurry, just anyhow scan, see heartbeat, then can . and the scan he always snaps a picture that quite honestly i can't even make out it is a baby. super no effort. the medisave part can only claim $450. his delivery charges, cannot claim at all. SIAN..
wah.. too bad u pay liao.. ur OB package so bo hua.. I took up package with Lawrence Ang.. $550 only, includes everything liao.. still can claim from medisave de.. totally thumbs up for him..

JoyBliss

Yep, better to tighten our belts now than to worry when *touch wood*..

So you managed to work out the total cost if delivered at Mt.A?
I'm not sure if this is applicable to us.. but you may call to check up
[FONT='Corbel','sans-serif']http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/hcfinancing.aspx?id=19744[/FONT]

[FONT='Corbel','sans-serif']I delivered at KK.. offhand i vaguely recalled.. Ultimately, I cash out $600-700 (include epidural) under their hospitalisation package I took up. But... routine gynae vistation still by cash (KK does not include this part... unlike TMC it's all in)[/FONT]
[FONT='Corbel','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Corbel','sans-serif']I assume the higher costs at Mt. A due to their "better services" & "gynae". So roughly what is the total cash out if deliver in Mt.A? And consider if it's worthwhile, else... don't have a choice but to switch right if scrimping every cents now..[/FONT]
[FONT='Corbel','sans-serif']Your gynae if not comfortable, better to change while you are not too advance. [/FONT]
[FONT='Corbel','sans-serif']But my gynae at KK also very fast de... I go in and out less than 10mins... BUT.. at Mt.A, I think I will expect better services lar, my 2 cent opionion :)[/FONT]
[FONT='Corbel','sans-serif']KK I find not bad... just the waiting time,.. and nurses can be busy to attend to you... but generally, I do encounter the nice friendly ones too :)[/FONT]

shi_san_yee

wah.. too bad you pay .. your OB package so bo hua.. I took up package with Lawrence Ang.. $550 only, includes everything .. still can claim from medisave .. totally thumbs up for him..
Including delivery?Mine only consultation and scans. vitamins bld tests all are extra.

Joybliss: it's v cheap if it's below 1K.... I got spinal surgery b4 so can't do epidural, then can only go for natural and if (touch wood) that fails, then it's c-sect, which will cost ard $3k for gynae charges alone. hospital should be ard 2-3K. Thinking abt the costs make me shiver... I did think of transferring to KKH but need to be referred.

JoyBliss

Joybliss: it's very cheap if it's below 1K.... I got spinal surgery before so can't do epidural, then can only go for natural and if (touch wood) that fails, then it's c-sect, which will cost around $3k for gynae charges alone. hospital should be around 2-3K. Thinking about the costs make me shiver... I did think of transferring to Kandang Kerbau Hospital but need to be referred.

yep, excluding the routine gynae check-up. A friend of mine cash out $500-600 at TMC (all-in i think?) Wow!! yours so premium... Future expenses also costly if you are looking for premium services, products for you baby. Better to think thrice now

Referred? Sorry, you mean from polyclinic?

I made known my condition to my gynae. Actually, I'm went KK because of this gynae who happens to be somehow related to my sister's colleague. So he knows that I'm a single mum and help me alot... e.g. issue me hospital leave instead of MC etc... I'm grateful to him.

Sorry I'm going to ask a very very silly qn; can your gynae referred you because for your finance? :shyxxx:

shi_san_yee

no lei, i'm not referred, but am considering to go polyclinic to get referral to go KKH subsidy. I wanna know how much lesser i'll be looking at lor. now already got $700 package with current gynae, first 5 mths spent around $500 for individual visits, still have the FA scan $200. Then his delivery charges up to $3K, Mt.A room ard $2k estimated. Total very shiong ah. my gynae roughly knows i'm struggling, but he really doesn't give a damn, i feel he charges pretty high, but not too sure, coz for 7 yrs i've been gg to him, only now i see that he quite bochap, esp after i pay package

kinberuri

I got a ltr from polyclinic to KKH. Clinic C a subsidies clinic.
Every check up is abt 30 bucks but u dont expect the same doc or shd i say mo. The normal scan is also abt 30 bucks whereas the full scan is 40 bucks.
If u r not fussy abt seeing diff doc & the so call long waiting time (so far no issue abt waiting), u can consider to use this as compare to other hospital KKH is cheaper. Just like when u deliver ur child, it will be any doc on shift and midwives.
Their ward b2 & C is fully subsidies, therefore no cash shd be involved.

mixue

just seperated from him, found lawyer but still holding back, i cant really make up my mind to divorce him. with 2 daughters, 1mth+ and 3yo+... and im only 24 this year... talk to my friends, they wont know how i feel also... HAI~

mag_huiling

I got a ltr from polyclinic to Kandang Kerbau Hospital. Clinic C a subsidies clinic.
Every check up is about 30 bucks but you dont expect the same doc or should i say mo. The normal scan is also about 30 bucks whereas the full scan is 40 bucks.
If you are not fussy about seeing diff doc & the so call long waiting time (so far no issue about waiting), you can consider to use this as compare to other hospital Kandang Kerbau Hospital is cheaper. Just like when you deliver your child, it will be any doc on shift and midwives.
Their ward b2 & C is fully subsidies, therefore no cash should be involved.
KKH increased their consultation price already??? That time i paid $25 for 1st consultation and $23 for subsequent visits. Scans if i rmb correctly is $40 for the B&W ones...

The waiting time is heng suay one, depends on your luck.. my record was fastest 10min see doc liao...

For wards, is B2+, 5 bedded with a/c... B2 is nt subsidied.. If CPF not enough, must pay cash...

AND one good things is, dunno whether it applies to everyone or just subsidied patients, CPF Board, Medisave scheme... When KKH bills me, they sent the amount to Medisave and fill to deduct, they also sent the amount i spent for consultations there and Medisave will pay the amount I spent for consultations to KKH and KKH will sent a refund cheque to me... meaning Medisave pay for my consultations...!!!!

mag_huiling

just seperated from him, found lawyer but still holding back, i cant really make up my mind to divorce him. with 2 daughters, 1mth+ and 3yo+... and im only 24 this year... talk to my friends, they wont know how i feel also... HAI~
*HUGS*

What happened to your marriage? Might sharing so we can give advices and help you and be your listening ears, as some mommies here might have been through and will understand your situation.....