Sleep Deprive: what's wrong with my bb

tayenee

for the past 1 month, DS (6.5months) is torturing me with his hourly cries at night. last time was able to turn him to sides / latch on to get him bk to sleep. bt for the last 1 month, his cries happen every 1 hour at night with the following:

a) Streaking Scream / Painful Cries
b) No matter latch on / turn to sides, he will still resist and got very tense
c) Amazingly, all these are with his eyes closed

im sure it's not diaper cos they dun feel full. im sure he's not hungry cos he has porridge at 7pm followed by 120ml of FM before sleep at 9pm.

im not sure if he's cold / hot cos he can sweat even in aircon room. im not sure if he's experience reflux. im not sure if he's teething.

any mummies can help?

apollo

for the past 1 month, dear son (6.5months) is torturing me with his hourly cries at night. last time was able to turn him to sides / latch on to get him back to sleep. bt for the last 1 month, his cries happen every 1 hour at night with the following:

a) Streaking Scream / Painful Cries
b) No matter latch on / turn to sides, he will still resist and got very tense
c) Amazingly, all these are with his eyes closed

im sure it's not diaper cos they dont feel full. im sure he's not hungry cos he has porridge at 7pm followed by 120ml of FM before sleep at 9pm.

im not sure if he's cold / hot cos he can sweat even in aircon room. im not sure if he's experience reflux. im not sure if he's teething.

any mummies can help?
since he is crying with his eyes closed, i suspect he is over stimulated. ds was lik tt too and pd advised us: aft 6-7pm try not to play too much with him, dun watch tv and try not to bring him out. when we bring the babies out aft dinner time, they will focus on the lights, sounds and ppl ard them, and might over stimulate them, as as playing too much or watching too much tv.

tayenee

ive tried... but still the same... the 1-2hours before sleep, his activities are basically porridge, shower, read, milk ... nthg simulating..

angelwendy

i feel that it might be due to teething... some babies... when teething will keep waking up due to gum is itchy & painful...

ttml

since he is crying with his eyes closed, i suspect he is over stimulated. dear son was lik that too and pediatrician advised us: after 6-7pm try not to play too much with him, dont watch tv and try not to bring him out. when we bring the babies out after dinner time, they will focus on the lights, sounds and ppl around them, and might over stimulate them, as as playing too much or watching too much tv.
do you mean that parents should not on the tv after 7pm if bb is in the same room?

apollo

ive tried... but still the same... the 1-2hours before sleep, his activities are basically porridge, shower, read, milk ... nthg simulating..
den it could be teething like what Wendy said. and not only 1=2 hrs b4 slp, during daytime, also try not to over-stimulate him =)

do you mean that parents should not on the tv after 7pm if baby is in the same room?
it depends lahh.. some parents might just on the tv loudly with the babies ard and of cos the baby will get 'attracted' by the sounds and lights etc.. just not too loud will do. for ds, he seldom really watch tv with us. we will watch the tv, he play with his toys.

if ur baby can slp very well aft all these activities, of cos no pro letting them 'watch' the tv with u. but if really cant slp well at night, no harm trying those methods..

Last edited:

candy_ian

It may b teething, some babies r more sensitive to the teething stage bcos of the pain n numbness of the gums. My son didn't have any problems when his front teeth is errupting but with his lateral incisors n molars he's crying in pain at night but day time he's ok. To c if it's teething u can try applying teething gel if it stops after applying then it must b teething.. But then again I limit my use of teething gel on son as it does still contain a certain degree of LA in it so during the day I offer cold fruits for him to munch on n night time teething gel if he's crying in pain.. But he doesn't exactly like the taste of teething gel either. :) must trial n error to c what is the main cause of the crying

ttml

then it could be teething like what Wendy said. and not only 1=2 hours before sleep, during daytime, also try not to over-stimulate him =)

it depends lahh.. some parents might just on the tv loudly with the babies around and of cos the baby will get 'attracted' by the sounds and lights etc.. just not too loud will do. for dear son, he seldom really watch tv with us. we will watch the tv, he play with his toys.

if your baby can sleep very well after all these activities, of cos no pro letting them 'watch' the tv with you. but if really cant sleep well at night, no harm trying those methods..
thanks for the advice. i will take note of it^^

apollo

It may b teething, some babies r more sensitive to the teething stage bcos of the pain n numbness of the gums. My son didn't have any problems when his front teeth is errupting but with his lateral incisors n molars he's crying in pain at night but day time he's ok. To c if it's teething you can try applying teething gel if it stops after applying then it must b teething.. But then again I limit my use of teething gel on son as it does still contain a certain degree of in it so during the day I offer cold fruits for him to munch on n night time teething gel if he's crying in pain.. But he doesn't exactly like the taste of teething gel either. :) must trial n error to c what is the main cause of the crying
on top of tt, also can try to give cold teether. put the teether in the fridge for abt 15-20 min to let it cool and give the teething bb. =)

stonston

Sounds like night terror. Can search online about night terror, quite a few methods to help your child calm down.

tayenee

dear mummies...ive tried all the above methods and none is helping.... :( baby whined every sleep interval.... taking its toll on me...

mi_dun_noe

Alpha Male
dear mummies...ive tried all the above methods and none is helping.... :( baby whined every sleep interval.... taking its toll on me...

Same here. Have this problem for the past few days. Woke up in the midnight of night to play although he is tired. He keep screaming and crying. He only wants to be carry by specific person only. Can anyone advise me more? Please Help . . ..

Did you take him to the doctor already? Just to make sure what you baby is going through, how to treat it and so you won't be sleep deprived already.

liz2010

Definitely teething. My son was the same. Even with the teething gel. If it's really hurting ang you really lack of sleep, then you may give her some Panadol. I did it, but when my son was 1 year old and having his molars! He woke up every hour and then, I was sleeping only 30 mn in between! Some babies are just more sensitive to teething pain. My daughter is sleeping well even with the molars!

I don't think it's night terror. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think children start having night terrors when they are between 2 to 3 years old.

good luck!