Sleeping Throught the Night

Jonie

Hi Mommies,

My son is 9.5 mths old and he still wakes up for his feedings. The last feeding is approx 12 midnite - 1.30 am followed by the next one which is abt 4 hours later. I'd like to wean him off from feedings at night and encourage him to sleep throughout till morning. When is the appropriate age to do so?

Hope you can advise me on this thanks! :001_302:

CanCanMum

hi Jonie,

Theres no appropriate age to do so....anytime can start.

Can i know wad time is the last feed before bb goes to bed?

my boy slept thru the night, i think sometime between 8months to 9months.....but occasionally will still wake up for night feed (mostly at 3am)

u can start by offering him water instead of milk....or u will need to settle his cries when he asks for the milk.....however, depends on how much u feed him before bed and the time of the feed....perhaps u can start by weaning off the 1.30am feed 1st....coz it seems too close to be hungry....chances are baby just wants milk to make himself fall asleep...and not out of hunger.

Re: Sleeping Throughout The Night

Hi Mommies,

My son is 9.5 mths old and he still wakes up for his feedings. The last feeding is approx 12 midnite - 1.30 am followed by the next one which is abt 4 hours later. I'd like to wean him off from feedings at night and encourage him to sleep throughout till morning. When is the appropriate age to do so?

Hope you can advise me on this thanks! :001_302:

hi

for me personally, i feel he is still so young let him wake up lah. anyway it is a good gap of 4 hours? are you breastfeeding? personally, my son who was fully breastfed till 22 months wake up hourly until he was 15 month. i was super tired but i look back and still count it worth while. nevertheless many, in fact all mummies say i cannot spoil. so i think if you are firm not wanting him to wake up then just be consistent and let him cry. if he cry for too long, carry him until he sleep. initally is tough but maybe he will get use to it in a week time. dont worry you are not alone. all the best

SH74

my boy all the while can sleep thru the nite. but for past 1-2 months, he alw wake up in mid of nite (like 3+ or 4+am) wanting milk. i put his water by his side. n try to give him that. but aft an hour or so, he'll cry for milk again. so i give him water again. unless he doesnt want water, then i'll make milk for him.

so far, he's able to sleep thru alr. last feed abt 10pm. if at 1+am, i'm still awake, i'll dreamfeed him b4 i sleep. then 1st feed the next morning sometimes can b 8+am. if too hungry, then will b 6+am. but usu i'll let him drnk water 1st.

also, try to put cereal or brown rice in his milk. i put 2 scoops of brown rice in his last feed. can last longer.

sometimes he's unable to sleep thru, mayb 'cause too hot. my boy can sleep thru easily in aircon room.

sarahling

is it ok to feed water? why not feed milk? any diff? i feel that milk is better than water which is empty calories. anyway, first time mom here..no experience :/

autumn82

is it ok to feed water? why not feed milk? any diff? i feel that milk is better than water which is empty calories. anyway, first time mom here..no experience :/
Actually, when some mums suggested feeding water is coz some babies, wake up due to habit and not actually hungry. So by feeding water actually weans them off nite feeds which might be unnecessary & affects their sleep quality.

Definitely milk is better than water as it is more nutritious. :001_302: But usually, by 6mths or so, most babies shld be able to sleep thru the nite w/o nite feeds.