Solid Food for 5-6 months Babies

Queenbabe

Hey, your boy is about the same as my gal.
She probably is 4 days earlier than him ya.

Ya, 2 weeks ago, we were at KFC too.
My hubby wana feed her the whipped potatoes but then hesitated.
Well, next time, I will try but maybe with not too much of the sauce ya.
scare she become too picky with the taste too soon...

Thanks...:tlaugh:
Ya u r right but i give my ds whipped potato wif the sauce , he give me the looks like yucks what mummy giving me huh then the tongue will stick out ..

ahjune

Hi,

My son is 7months old
I had feed my baby with Healthy times brown rice cereal and Barley cereal.. now move on to porridge.
normally will mix fruit or veges + cereal + FM.. and he loves it.
Fruits has given : apple,banana,avocado,pear,papaya
Veges has given : pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, brocolli, carrot.
Yogurt has given: yoplait yogurt

lisa_ng

Oya, she tried the heinz cereal but i think she prefer the Friso one.
Cos i think Heinz one quite tasteless ya, think like you said, have to add puree or other flavours. hmmm...

so for the minced pork & fish, you also feed your baby? or just eat the porridge? cos my gal still no teeth yet...
true enuf, heinz no taste de.
didn't want her to take sweet stuffs at that time. so started with plain cereal. hehe

until she can swallow then add in heinz purees.

when she was like 9mos or so i mashed them with porridge.

minced pork was later and i minced them myself using handheld blender.
those minced pork selling outside not small enough to feed.

you can add like corn starch to make the minced pork softer.
for me, i mix with water thoroughly before i pour into the porridge so that won't stick together like small bits.

lisa_ng

Can also try Eu Yen San brown rice cereal...it helps to increase appetite (forgot the herb name) but have to slow cook for about 5 mins.
i've heard about this brown rice.
but har i understand have some herbs contents inside de?

but my girl already 2yo, cooking food for her is easier. and she's not too fussy. she eats simple tasteless food. :D

Last edited:

CJmom

but my girl already 2yo, cooking food for her is easier. and she's not too fussy. she eats simple tasteless food. :D
True, my cooking standard is only good for my boy cos he eats simple tasteless food (well not tasteless but no added flavouring just wholesome natural goodness).

Phoebii Cheng

one more question!

If your baby take solid food hor, their milk intake got decrease or not?
Or still drink the same amount of milk?
Hi madelene, the solid food that u give ur baby it depends on the timing, if you give it as a lunch, then it will replace the milk that ur baby takes during the same time period......normally as a baby grows, their milk intake should decrease unless they drink milk totally for their meals......:tlaugh:

madalene

Hi Elaine

Nothin fancy when you cook baby food. All you gotta do is boil/steam the ingredients and mash them. No need seasoning whatsoever. Eg. Clean sweet potato, peel it and dump it in a pot of boiling water. Mash when it's cooled.That's all!

My DS is 7mo liao. He's eating really well now. Normal meal includes baby cereal and vegetable bottled baby food. I'll boil root vegetable mainly like sweet potato and jap taro(he love it so much!) when i have the time. He must have his 'tea break' - milk biscuits. :)

Good idea! I will try Jap Taro.
And may I know what is the brand for the milk biscuit u gave?
I bought the pigeon one, she not too enthusiastic leh.

madalene

Ya u r right but i give my ds whipped potato wif the sauce , he give me the looks like yucks what mummy giving me huh then the tongue will stick out ..

Wow, heng i never give ya.
But i think babies can take potatoes la
am now planning what to cook for sat & sun now.
Cos usu, mon-fri, my mum cook and jaga her.
Sat & sun my turn... must not let her feel she has a lousy mother ya.:001_302:

madalene

Hi,

My son is 7months old
I had feed my baby with Healthy times brown rice cereal and Barley cereal.. now move on to porridge.
normally will mix fruit or veges + cereal + FM.. and he loves it.
Fruits has given : apple,banana,avocado,pear,papaya
Veges has given : pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, brocolli, carrot.
Yogurt has given: yoplait yogurt
Ah June, thanks for the info. That's new.
So they can take avocado & yogurt ah?
i can try but yogurt, would it be a bit too SUAN for their taste buds?
but sounds good dah. Help increase appetite ya?

snowbear

Hi Mummies,

Can share what are the Solid food that you all have introduced to your babies so far?

My girl is now 6 months plus.
I have only given her some puree and porridge.
Any good ideas to share?
:tlaugh:
Hi, my DD started with Heinz rice cereal when she was 51/2months then when she turned 6 months she took Healthy Times Barley, Oatmeal and Brown Rice cereal. Will mix fruit/veg puree with the cereal together with EBM for extra nutrition.

For porridge, you can boil veg stock to cook the porridge so that it's tastier. I also add fish (steam then mash) and pureed veg to the porridge (i also use organic red brown rice for better nutrition). For babies below 9 months, you may wanna pass the porridge thru a sieve to get a smoother consistency. Pork and chicken to be introduced after bb turns 8 months old.

It's not wise to feed bb 'outside' food coz we dunno what has been added to the food in the preparation process. Also, usually those food contain MSG and high levels of sodium and we certainly dun want our babies' kidneys to be overworked.

Last edited:

madalene

Hi, my DD started with Heinz rice cereal when she was 51/2months then when she turned 6 months she took Healthy Times Barley, Oatmeal and Brown Rice cereal. Will mix fruit/veg puree with the cereal together with EBM for extra nutrition.

For porridge, you can boil veg stock to cook the porridge so that it's tastier. I also add fish (steam then mash) and pureed veg to the porridge (i also use organic red brown rice for better nutrition). For babies below 9 months, you may wanna pass the porridge thru a sieve to get a smoother consistency. Pork and chicken to be introduced after bb turns 8 months old.

It's not wise to feed bb 'outside' food coz we dunno what has been added to the food in the preparation process. Also, usually those food contain MSG and high levels of sodium and we certainly dun want our babies' kidneys to be overworked.

Oh, ok. Thanks alot.
So even for fruits, do you grate and filter too?
I wana try giving her some apples yesterday but i guess it might be too sour or sweet, she eat with that look (like "mum, its so sour!" kinda face)
Hahaha.But she finished it.
if never filter, they will indigestion huh? what will happen during indigestion? LS?

so you mean after8 mths, can feed food without the filter le lah?

snowbear

Oh, ok. Thanks alot.
So even for fruits, do you grate and filter too?
I wana try giving her some apples yesterday but i guess it might be too sour or sweet, she eat with that look (like "mum, its so sour!" kinda face)
Hahaha.But she finished it.
if never filter, they will indigestion huh? what will happen during indigestion? LS?

so you mean after8 mths, can feed food without the filter le lah?
I push food thru the sieve so that the consistency of the food is smoother. Sometimes there may be some chunks that might choke bb. If not digested it'd be passed out in the original form. haha...

My DD's a papya monster so i have to give her papaya every day. haha. For apple, sometimes i steam it till it's soft then just feed her a bit. My DD also gives that 'it's sour' look. haha...

My DD more than 8 months le but i still chk for chunks of food. plus coz she eats brown rice porridge so i have to get rid of the husks by pushing the porridge thru the sieve.

madalene

I push food thru the sieve so that the consistency of the food is smoother. Sometimes there may be some chunks that might choke bb. If not digested it'd be passed out in the original form. haha...

My DD's a papya monster so i have to give her papaya every day. haha. For apple, sometimes i steam it till it's soft then just feed her a bit. My DD also gives that 'it's sour' look. haha...

My DD more than 8 months le but i still chk for chunks of food. plus coz she eats brown rice porridge so i have to get rid of the husks by pushing the porridge thru the sieve.

hmm... ask u ah, your DD now got teeth already? When did she start growing teeth ah? You know wat? I just notice on sunday that my DD is growing teeth but hor, on the left side. is it normal?
:embarrassed: i tot usually on the front deh?

snowbear

hmm... ask u ah, your DD now got teeth already? When did she start growing teeth ah? You know wat? I just notice on sunday that my DD is growing teeth but hor, on the left side. is it normal?
:embarrassed: i tot usually on the front deh?
My DD is bogay (toothless) and botak. Haha... Coz she's still toothless, i still give food of a smoother consistency. My mum's colleague's baby grew premolars first! I think every bb is different so dun worry.

Queenbabe

My DD is bogay (toothless) and botak. Haha... Coz she's still toothless, i still give food of a smoother consistency. My mum's colleague's baby grew premolars first! I think every bb is different so dun worry.
What is premolars ?
My ds alr have 2 front tooth (below) , tats y u can see baby growing very differently :)

Haha she alr 8mths y still botak ?

phishcracker

Do any of you mix breastmilk or formula milk with your rice cereal?
I have been doing that since my DS turned 4 months. Today he is exactly 6 mths old. I am so excited!!
I bought heinz first cereal and frisocreme rice cereal to mix with formula milk. the teat must changed to number 4 for avent bottles. So far my DS has been drinking abt 120-160ml milk mixed with 1-1half scoop(formula milk scoop) of those rice cereals. He drinks them so fast too approx. 5-6 times daily

snowbear

What is premolars ?
My ds alr have 2 front tooth (below) , tats y u can see baby growing very differently :)

Haha she alr 8mths y still botak ?
Those further into the mouth but not the molars (coz molars grow after 1 yr old).

I think she's still botak coz got my genes. haha... Just saw photos of me at her age: she's got more hair than me!!!! Some more we shaved her at her 1st month...

snowbear

I have been doing that since my DS turned 4 months. Today he is exactly 6 mths old. I am so excited!!
I bought heinz first cereal and frisocreme rice cereal to mix with formula milk. the teat must changed to number 4 for avent bottles. So far my DS has been drinking abt 120-160ml milk mixed with 1-1half scoop(formula milk scoop) of those rice cereals. He drinks them so fast too approx. 5-6 times daily
Hi, i read that it's not advisable to feed cereal via bottle coz it may choke the baby. I think it's perfectly fine to mix cereal with bm/fm (that's what i do too) but feed him using a spoon coz after all, he's already 6months old and needs to be accustomed to the idea of taking in food via spoon, not bottle. :)