Stitching after natural birth

Ivy Miao

Experience mummy, I've got questions regarding stitching up after natural birth. Everyone said Doc will stitch part of our Vaginal up after giving birth, am I right?

And.. After the stitching, how do you go toilet to pee and shit? Is peeing painful? How bout when comes to sitting on toilet bowls?

What if we have constipation? Will the wound tear?? :embarrassed:

How long does it take for the wound to close up? Do we go back to hospital to get the stitch out or they're using those dissolve ones?

Pamper

Yup, they will slightly cut the vagina when giving birth which you won feel much for it.
i didn't think too much, somemore very urgent so i just go toilet & pee. very pain for the 1st time cos urine is salty then i jus let everything out. =(

the 2nd time i pee slowly but already not so pain liao. it's bearable and after that no problem le. i think only the 1st few times have to pee slowly lo. but sitting on toilet bowl is totally no problem. of course have to be careful like sit down slowly and don rush.

I suffer constipation too but dare not use too much force cos i scared teared. slowly lo, no choice or can ask doc for some advice.

some pple takes 1-3weeks to heal. for me i took 1 month. it depends on your body and the food you take i think. stitching is normally dissolve one. 1 more thing i do is everytime i finish peeing or pooing i will use diluted dettol to clean my vaginal. mother-in-law says can prevent infection and heal faster. =)

adelynn

if you have an episiotomy then yes it is required to have stitches after you deliver your little one. Erms, after stitching, you are still able to go about doing both small & big business but with a little sting (especially if you pee). There is bound to be some amount of discomfort when sitting, so some people sit on a float (circular) to relieve the pain if they find the pain unbearable. Painkillers will also be given to help relief the pain you are feeling.

To prevent constipation, your doctor will normally prescribe a medication which will help soften your bowels (provided you go regularly) so minimize whatever pain/discomfort you will feel.

As for wound healing, it ranges between 2 weeks to 6 weeks, depending on diet, your skin's healing 'powers'. It would aid/fasten healing if you keep your wound clean after each time you visit the toilet. you can either wash with warm water, or like what pamper said, with diluted dettol.

Wasant

u dun have to be worried about the cut...cos by that time...i believe u will be in much pain to notice the gynae cutting....it's not at all painful....i dun remember feeling any pain when i visit the loo...a bit stinging feeling...maybe...that's all......u dun have to go back to the hospital to take out the stitches.it'll dissolve by itself....:tlaugh:

shiyi

you dont have to be worried about the cut...cos by that time...i believe you will be in much pain to notice the gynae cutting....it's not at all painful....i dont remember feeling any pain when i visit the loo...a bit stinging feeling...maybe...that's all......you dont have to go back to the hospital to take out the stitches.it'll dissolve by itself....:tlaugh:
how scary.... can pain until u cant feel the gynae cutting =\

woofy55

if you take epidural.. you won't be able to feel anything actually .. :) I'm only able to feel some pressure when the baby is coming out, other than that, no pain. As for my 1st pee, the nurse bring in the "pee bowl" for me to release on the bed. I also release slowly - but surprisingly there isn't any stinging feeling as well. But sitting up, you will feel some discomfort. It's okay to take the pain killer, don't be too harsh on yrself. Be gentle also when getting up and down the bed, cos normally our leg will be slightly open right. For mine, i used the antiseptic provided by the hospital to clean the wound. But during the 3-4wks, the stitches actually harden and very uncomfortable when sitting up (breastfeeding) - my massage lady advice me to wash it with diluted dettol and it actually soften the stitches.

Oh, the stitches will dissolve by itself. But mine, some part dropped off on my pad. At first i thot it was worm!!!!! heheehe.. So take note of the "worm"... hehe

jasobias

ya must take gd care of stitches.For my first baby my backside so itchy..give birth already not even one day running ard..2 of my stitches came undone n hurt like hell..but i was looking after baby so by time go for check up too late already dr say will heal by itself but will take longer.Sit on a donut for 2 weeks helps.For my other 2 kids it took abt 2 weeks to heal.Must always get off bed slowly..or stitches kena "drag"..sure will open one!!
Go poo also must be careful then must always keep area so clean..for 2 weeks everytime i poo or pee must wash with the antiseptic solution n then dr gave some antiseptic spray also to spray 4 times a day.
Learnt fr my first lesson..hahhaha!If only someone wld have told me earlier...haiz!!

Ivy Miao

ya must take good care of stitches.For my first baby my backside so itchy..give birth already not even one day running around..2 of my stitches came undone n hurt like hell..but i was looking after baby so by time go for check up too late already dr say will heal by itself but will take longer.Sit on a donut for 2 weeks helps.For my other 2 kids it took about 2 weeks to heal.Must always get off bed slowly..or stitches kena "drag"..sure will open one!!
Go poo also must be careful then must always keep area so clean..for 2 weeks everytime i poo or pee must wash with the antiseptic solution n then dr gave some antiseptic spray also to spray 4 times a day.
Learnt fr my first lesson..hahhaha!If only someone wld have told me earlier...sigh!!
Wound with dettol, wouldnt it be painful? Also, the donut you mention, is it those round circle swimming kinda float? :err:

tinkerball

if u worry about the stinging pain while u pee, its best u pour warm water over the area as u pee. it helps to reduce the sting. and use dettol antiseptic at every wash to keep area clean and speed up wound healing. i sat on donut too as my threshold of pain is very low.

Porukadotzu

for me I can still feel the doc doing episiotomy during labour but I didn't feel any pain coz the baby's head pressing out too but then it will make the baby come out faster, pop just like that!

as for the stitching after everyhting done, I can feel only when the first time trying to get off from bed and walk.. can feel the uncomfy stinging pain coz the thick padding rub against it *ouch.. try to always run water *slowly* at your V when you're doing small bussiness, it will help the stitching softer. last time i gave birth at mt alvernia they gave me the antiseptic liquid to wash onto the wound everytime after pee or poo...

one more thing, it's better to use the normal pad rather than the maternity thick pad..coz maternity pad so slim and thick and not so absorbing the blood too, normally the nurses will put 2 layers spreading so you imagine its super thick! And when you sitting up it will pressing your 'center' part of vagina which is the most pain..
if using the normal wide and flat one is better.. last time i use the kotex night pad, it's longer than the normal... it's absorb better too.. :001_302:

the stiching will heal faster before you know it, so don't worry bout it... what you have to worry is constipation haha..coz confinement food are all heaty (if your parent's very strict maybe you're not allow to eat fruit)...maybe you can buy those juice or ask doctor to prescribe something.

Ivy Miao

igave birth naturally without epidural for my two boys...the contraction took around 8 hours....then i gave birth....

Woo... Brave mummy! High tolerance of pain! good good.. I hope I can stand the pain too..

Process of giving birth is painful.. Baby come out must really be obedient.. Else, all the pain and suffering all gone to waste.. Lolx!!