Successfully Breast feed for 6 mths!

allycat

Hi mommies, I have been breastfeeding my baby for the past 3 months and I would like to breastfeed baby for as long as possible. However, I notice that my milk supply have drop since last week as baby and I have been trying to trial run the possible routine when I get back to work.

Currently, I did not breastfeed baby from 8 am to 7 pm. (working hours) and baby is given ebm. Apart from this time, I latch baby for his 7 pm, 9 pm, 2 am, 4am, 6 am and 8 am feed. I am pumping 3 times daily. once in the morning (7am), once in the evening (11pm) and once at 3 pm (in office) . The amount of ebm yield varies from 140ml to 80 ml and my breasts no longer feel full these days. In the past I used to be able to express close to 200ml for each pumping session. Now I’m worry that I will not have enough milk to feed baby if my ebm yield drops further.

Do I need to increase the number of pumps at work?
will my breast milk suddenly disappear?

I will be going back to back this week. L
:wong19:
While in office, u might want to try to express your milk at 10am, 2pm and 5pm if possible. They are supposed to replace the feeding u're missing. Latch the baby once u've reached home. U might want to latch the baby for the 11pm feeding instead of pumping. The baby is able to sleep longer with a fuller stomach and u in turn can have a better night sleep too. Its important that u rest well. Remember, u wont have enough energy to look after the baby if u are not well rested.

The drop in supply is affected by both stress and rest, which I think u are having now.

Dont give up on breastfeeding and persist to the very last drop!! 加油!

camom

camom mummy, you r an inspiration!
Tks, but I must confess, it was not bcos I wanted to initially, ds didn't want to wean from breast (he is very attached!) and both paed's & LC's advice was to let the child decide when he wants to wean off. But I guess that day will come and what I'll miss most wld probably be the sight of him patting me while he drinks.

candy_ian

I so agree it's the bonding we share while feeding them.. I love he bond shared btween me n son.. My role model is my sil who's still latching on her 5 plus old daughter!

adelynn

Hi mommies, I have been breastfeeding my baby for the past 3 months and I would like to breastfeed baby for as long as possible. However, I notice that my milk supply have drop since last week as baby and I have been trying to trial run the possible routine when I get back to work.

Currently, I did not breastfeed baby from 8 am to 7 pm. (working hours) and baby is given ebm. Apart from this time, I latch baby for his 7 pm, 9 pm, 2 am, 4am, 6 am and 8 am feed. I am pumping 3 times daily. once in the morning (7am), once in the evening (11pm) and once at 3 pm (in office) . The amount of ebm yield varies from 140ml to 80 ml and my breasts no longer feel full these days. In the past I used to be able to express close to 200ml for each pumping session. Now I’m worry that I will not have enough milk to feed baby if my ebm yield drops further.

Do I need to increase the number of pumps at work?
will my breast milk suddenly disappear?

I will be going back to back this week. L
:wong19:
i was like you and 'trial run' the feeds that i would be missing. i try (i emphasize TRY cuz work sometimes get the better of me) to keep to 3 pumps in the office 9.45AM, 1PM & 4.30PM. if my day is hectic, i would no matter what force myself to keep to 2 pumps. i latch on my girl's feeds at 6.45AM, 6.45PM, 8.30PM & 10.30PM. If i stay awake later, i will try to squeeze in 1 last pump at 01:00AM before i head off to bed.

I used to be obsessed with the output i am producing that i find myself more stressed up about the amounts i am yielding - i've learnt to relax and just pump & pump; count another day (aha). Before i went back to work, i learnt from other mummies that supply will somehow dip after returning to work so i was abit KS and stockpile 15L in the freezer. I still tell myself to try and replace the amounts she's drinking from the freezer.

The important thing i guess is to continue despite whatever comes. 10ML pumped is still 10ML more of BM --> that's my thinking

adelynn

Adelynn,

You might wanna change pediatrician since you dont find her good?

Mine is Doc Kumu (dont know how to spell her name, think there shld be only 1 Doc Kumu is PCC).

At 1st, I dont feel really comfortable with an Indian doc as I'm afraid we can't really communicate with her becoz every check up my mother in law will go with me so mother in law will be the 1 to tell doc about Inez progess since she's the 1 looking after her when I'm at work and mother in law doesn't speak nor understand English.

I told the nurse about my worries but she assured me that Doc Kumu is 1 of the most friendly pediatrician in PCC and becoz of the specific date I wanted, I left with no choice but to 'take' her as Inez's pediatrician.

During the 1st visit to her, I can tell you, my impression towards her totally changed. She's really friendly and make you feel comfortable with her. As it was Inez 1st jab and it's also my 1st time in taking 6in1 (5yrs back only got 5in1), she explained what is inside the 6in1 till very details. Becoz I also wanted to let Inez take the Prevenar jab but not comfortable in taking 2 jabs on the same day coz Inez is only 2 months old that time and I'm worry the jabs will be 'too much' for her.

Seeing my worries, instead of keep telling is 'ok' and 'normal' for babies to take 2 jabs on the same day, she postponed the Prevenar jab till Inez was 4 months old. (although after that Inez still gotto take 2 jabs on the same day but at least she's 'big' enuff to endure the 2 jabs - that's my thinking ..LOL)

During the consultation, she won't rush me. She spend time playing with Inez and instead of me keep asking questions to her, she's the 1 who keep throwing questions to me and show alot of concerns towards Inez especially after telling her Inez's poos problem.

Got once, I brough Inez for a back scan and after the scan I supposed to see Doc Kumu for the explanation of the result. By right I will be charged for the consultation fees but she didn't charged me at all.

When Fayth was down with runny nose or cough, instead of going to our neighbourhood pediatrician, I brought her back to KK too.

*forgot to add: my mother in law like this pediatrician too... and this pediatrician can speak hokkien and she also understand simple mandarin.
your PD sounds very caring & attentive; would like to try her out. Any idea which days she will be PCC?

nanachan

Congratulations to all breastfeeding mothers! You all are my inspiration and goal. I'm going to deliver in end of May and will try to BF at least for 6 months.

I've been reading up a lot, but lots of my colleagues either turn to FM or stop BF after returning to work. I'm supposed to take 3 months of maternity leave (instead of 4) coz of my hectic work schedule lined up. It's going to be a daunting task for me, even my own mother told me she tried but did not manage to successfully BF me. Wish me luck!

sharonyi66

your pediatrician sounds very caring & attentive; would like to try her out. Any idea which days she will be PCC?
My appts are on Thursdays. U may wanna call up PCC to check is there any other days she's available?

And I spelled correctly, it's Doc Kumu.

sharonyi66

Congratulations to all breastfeeding mothers! You all are my inspiration and goal. I'm going to deliver in end of May and will try to BF at least for 6 months.

I've been reading up a lot, but lots of my colleagues either turn to FM or stop BF after returning to work. I'm supposed to take 3 months of maternity leave (instead of 4) coz of my hectic work schedule lined up. It's going to be a daunting task for me, even my own mother told me she tried but did not manage to successfully BF me. Wish me luck!
Me too only took 3 mths of ML and I now still slowly enjoy clearing my another mth on ML. Usually I will take it for Inez check up or if I'm too tired/lazy to go work.

I gone back to work last Dec and till now, I will still pump at least 1 time in office. Reading up, knowing more knowledge before hand can help u alot and also get you prepare what to expect.

If in any time during breastfeeding that shld you feel you'r in
lost, no confident or feel like giving up, always come back here as all mummies here are very understanding and supportive.

Good luck and 加油!

Good luck dear!!

Last edited:

sufeit0115

you can reopen the milk factory if you want to :tlaugh:The supply will return once there is demand for it.
There is no turning back for me cos i have started my senstitve skin treatment last week at NSC which required me to take medicines which is not suitable for bf. I have deferred treatment since 1 year ago. Having made many mistakes like not frequent pumping & latching in the initial stage, most killing factor for low milk supply is stress at work & not enough rest. My supply dropped drastically since i have returned to work 2 mths ago.

Persistence is the key to breastfeeding successfully, i didn't persist enough and thus i've end my bf's journey now. :(

cmeilim

There is no turning back for me cos i have started my senstitve skin treatment last week at NSC which required me to take medicines which is not suitable for bf. I have deferred treatment since 1 year ago. Having made many mistakes like not frequent pumping & latching in the initial stage, most killing factor for low milk supply is stress at work & not enough rest. My supply dropped drastically since i have returned to work 2 mths ago.

Persistence is the key to breastfeeding successfully, i didn't persist enough and thus i've end my bf's journey now. :(

since it's cos of medical reasons, then u don't have to blame yourself for stopping breastfeeding. =)