Sweets for your toddler

larkspur

anyone gives your toddler sweets? Since turning 2 , my girl starts to take sweets and i mean all kinds of sweets. Now i have to resort to buying goat milk candies as a replacement

aby

YES!!!!

Clinic, previous church, etc etc.. Don't feel good abt this.. Example we were on marriage counselling a period of time.. Our 2 follwed us to pastor's office ma.. And the kind pastor will buy my boy lollipop.. Waaaa.. Then the next day, he'll cough badly with lots of phelgm followed by fever.. Haiz.. After two times it happen, I explained nicely to our pastor not to give him sweet le.. I really panic when he has high fever one.. Then our pastor switched n give them little stuff like stickers and balls etc.. heehee..

Present church don't give sweets like the previous one does (for rewards etc) and we are really glad.. Tried our best to minimise.. The elder boy is controlled till recently, he's 5 now but tough to do so for our ger.. Her keke old enough to have a little but a little to her age is alot ma.. Whatever he has, she wants too..

Sweets really make them hyper one.. And additive too.. And I believe sweets will reduce their immune system.. Some have coloring which some kids are allergic too..

Now whenever i see sweets or no so gd snack inside goody bags etc, will take them away.. Sometimes throw them away.. No gd to give to other kids if i chose not to give to mine ma..

Yes, now I buy goat milk sweet to give them.. :tlaugh:

xiaodaisy

yes but now no as i everytime causing dem to be sick, i tried e no sugar sweets but i tink oso no use it still will cause phlegm so i rather don let dem eat at all now.. unless dey have been very good boy past few days

BbYew

Nope..I never give sweets to my boys rite fr the start..till now, they hv never taken any sweets fr anyone..even if aunties or uncles offer them, they will reject also.:tlaugh:

stonston

suggestion to replace sweets: dried fruits rolls, cut into small pcs like sweet :)

naturally sweet with all e vitamin goodness :)

u can buy fm organic shops (1 big roll can cut into many pcs) or u can make ur own fruit rolls at hm :)

larkspur

My girl never takes sweet until near to her 2nd birthday, my parents and my aunties gave her sweets for her to taste and from then on, she kind of stuck. Sometimes when my girl is cranky, my husband gives her sweets too but later he realise sweets before bed time is a no no cos it makes her hyperactive. have tried to replace with dried fruits but she doesn't like. Now i have to throw away all sweets whenever given to her (when she is not looking)

Luckily she takes goat milk candies but really burn a hole in my pocket..
Now my husband keeps commenting that he has never taken such expensive sweets at his age and how comes our daughter gets to eat??:)

baby closet

I also don't agree to give sweets or chocs to my gal as once they had it, they love it. I only give my gal (19 mths old) mashmallow once a week.

Usually will give her cheese, fruits for snacks.

stonston

larkspur, dried fruit rolls r different fm dried fruits....dried fruits must chew...fruit rolls can suck n it will slowly melt :)

mar_mum

My son loves sweets no matter how hard I try to keep it away from him. Grandparents from both sides, friends, outsiders.... his great grandfather... sun sch..... But I try to limit his intake. There was a period of time I replaced with dried raisins. But other people keep giving, so nowadays e don't want dried raisins liao. Maybe I should try the dried fruit rolls. Hope I can find.. haha

hungrymama

I've avoided giving my son sweets ALL the way until he started pre-school. Then during snack time, the teachers keep giving coco pops (chocolate flavour). Then there are the birthday parties during class time, where parents hand out marshmallows, chocolate bars, jelly beans etc etc etc :nah:and I feel so mean to snatch them away from my son. So, now his tastebuds all corrupted.

BbYew

hihi ston ston,

i also wan leh...can pass me some when u make 4 ur son bo? hehehhee...i beri thick skinned hor....:shyxxx:

My son loves to eat sweets!

thanks to my parents & my in laws!

since he has his whole set of teeth, they've been buying sweets for him.
& at that time, i didnt knw kids have to brush their teeth before goin to bed.
since its their milk teeth, they're goin to drop one ma!

my son starts having decay teeth already.
we even got 2 of his teeth filled. few hundred dollars just for that.
cos the dentist said if she dont fill it up, his teeth are goin to drop anytime soon.
& his teeth will nt be straight in future (with alot of explainations).
my hus doesnt wan my son's classmates to mock at him if his teeth drop!
so no choice..

if u wana give sweets, must brush his/her teeth at the end of the day.. rinse their mouth with water too!

stonston

we even got 2 of his teeth filled. few hundred dollars just for that.
cos the dentist said if she dont fill it up, his teeth are goin to drop anytime soon.
& his teeth will nt be straight in future (with alot of explainations).
my hus doesnt wan my son's classmates to mock at him if his teeth drop!
so no choice..

if u wana give sweets, must brush his/her teeth at the end of the day.. rinse their mouth with water too!
i agree with ur dentist....
btw, not onli e teeth not straight...bacteria causing e current decay will also affect adult teeth when they start erupting, so must quickly stop e decay....

brushing should always be a habit....my maid started brushing my boi's teeth b4 he sleep when he started on solids....even if cannot brush b4 sleep, must let them drink alot of water to rinse their mouth...

tamarind

I let my kids eat Ribena sweets, Malteses, lollipops, chocolate, ice cream, all in controlled amounts. No problem with phlegm at all. I have never heard of sweets can make a child sick, it could be coincidences.

We brush their teeth 2 times a day, in the morning and just before they go to bed.