Test(s) to be done on week 12.

New Daddy

Alpha Male
Went for gynae appt earlier in the week. Finally chosen Dr Chua Yang. Wife seems pretty happy with her so its good lor.

Gynae mentioned about me and wife have to dicuss if we want to do this particular test in the next appt (week 12). Its about testing for probability of down syndrome buts its gonna be a blood test. This will determine if need to do a complete test of drawing out liquid from the baby's bag (dun know what it is called) in the 5th month.

Any one can share what this week 12 test is and how much it will cost?

yellowpudding

Went for gynae appt earlier in the week. Finally chosen Dr Chua Yang. Wife seems pretty happy with her so its good .

Gynae mentioned about me and wife have to dicuss if we want to do this particular test in the next appt (week 12). Its about testing for probability of down syndrome buts its gonna be a blood test. This will determine if need to do a complete test of drawing out liquid from the baby's bag (dont know what it is called) in the 5th month.

Any one can share what this week 12 test is and how much it will cost?

This week 12 test is called OSCAR, blood test and everything should be about $600 or so. I didn't opt to do this test due to age group. :)

candy_ian

dr chua yang is a nice gynae always greeting us when visiting patients. Anyway i din do the bld test too cos the risk factor was low due to m n my husband's age. it's optional but of cos if u r in high risk group betta do it.

New Daddy

Alpha Male
Hmm.. wonder how much will Dr Chua Yang charge. $600 is pretty steep. What then considered high risk group? My wife is 32.

matka

Hi New Daddy

I believe Dr Chua has given you an overview of the possible risks (though unlikely to happen) of doing the tests (1st and if need be, 2nd round).

My husband and I opted not to do anything (ie. terminate the pregnancy) regardless of the condition of the baby. So we did not do any tests.

I was 31 when I had my first child.

But this is a personal choice. If you feel that by doing so, it gives you peace of mind or at least to feel prepared, then it's good to do it. :)

yellowpudding

Hmm.. wonder how much will Dr Chua Yang charge. $600 is pretty steep. What then considered high risk group? My wife is 32.
Personally I feel that so long is over the age of 30, it's best to go for it. I was 25 when I give birth to my gal, hence thats the reason why I didn't opt in for it.

$600 is really pretty steep, but it gives you a peace of mind it's worth it.

Why not give Dr Chua's clinic a call and check out the charges? :)

pigletif

Same as matka reason, i did not opt for the test too. Will keep the bb no matter what's the condition was. But if i didn't rem wrongly, my gynae told me to go over to TMC for the test. It cost around $400 plus.

Its true that Gynae will advise you on the ratio of the possibilities that bb will hv down syndrome.

I only did a blood test on HIV, blood group and the antibody which is still inside ur body.

But if u and ur wife are worried, than go for it to ease ur mind. Or else u can wait till the 20 weeks detail scan too. 60 or 70% accurancy.

SteveChow

Alpha Male
Hi NewDaddy,

I just accompany my wife to do this OSCAR test last sat at Thomson Medical Centre. It cost 420++ with gst.

If financially allows, why dun do it? SInce this test got no risk at all and it can give u a oeace of mind by doing it.

By the way, this is my first baby and i think i'm under the low risk group but still it better to have a peace of mind. my wife and me are 27 and 28