Total breastfeeding mommies

bbjan

Before she starts on solid, her daily milk intake was around 700ml. Around 4-4.5oz per feed.

Btw, should i change the teat? She is still using avent 3.

elaine01

DS is coming to 23 mths. Taking cereal for bf, semi-solids fr lunch/dinner. takes 120ml a day.

He latch on as & when once I'm back from work. He nurse thru the night as we co-sleep.

I cant seem to be meeting his demands.:embarrassed:

I only get 50ml from both breasts a day & seems to be diminishing...........

sleepymama

Hi bbjan

Not to worry, I do think your gal is doing fine :)
Babies' weight gain will slow down, from around 4-6 months onwards.
You can ignore the growth chart printed in the Health Book - cos that chart refers to FM-fed babies.
Check this chart instead, for breastfed babies :)
kellymom.com :: Chart: Average Growth of Breastfed Girls

It could be she's finding it hard to drink with a smaller teat so ya, you could try switching to a bigger teat and see if she prefers it. For my boy, he prefers the smaller teat! :O

And oh, you could add EBM to her cereal for her breakfast.

Hi elaine01
It sounds like your baby is reverse-cycling. He's drinking more when he's co-sleeping with you at night! That too, is perfectly normal. Except it will be rather tiring for you.

lulu_booboo

wow!! so many mummies bf long term!
i really admire you all...

i bf Boo for 10 mths, then she self-wean herself... now she drinks FM and fresh milk.
Have been bf Boo2 for 10 days now and probably will feed for at least 7mths while on maternity, after going back to work, have to see how...

bbjan

Thanks sleepymama.:biggrin: According to the chart, my gal is consider average. But still, i wish she can put on a little more. Miss her chubby cheeks neh.
Oh yes, I mixed EBM for her cereal. But that's only 1oz.

BooBoo- congrates. You just delivered Boo2 two weeks ago? Wats the age gap between the siblings? Welcome to the BF club.

jut

Have 3 kids. Total breastfed for 4.5 years and still going, since #3 is coming only 2 mth old. In between, tandem nursed #2 and #1 for 1 year, and a mini-break of 3 months when #2 decided that he did not want to suckle anymore in my 2nd trimester during 3rd pregnancy.

lulu_booboo

Thanks sleepymama.:biggrin: According to the chart, my gal is consider average. But still, i wish she can put on a little more. Miss her chubby cheeks neh.
Oh yes, I mixed EBM for her cereal. But that's only 1oz.

BooBoo- congrates. You just delivered Boo2 two weeks ago? Wats the age gap between the siblings? Welcome to the BF club.
Hi thanks :tlaugh:
Boo2 born on 20 Oct.
Boo is now 20mths.
I'm going to start expressing next week so that Boo2 can have BF from bottle (then i can go out on my own!!!)

snort

hi all... been lurking. i'm still bf-ing my ds who turns 2 yo next week! :Dancing_wub: altho it's only 2x a day now but still going strong... or rather my ds doesn't show any signs of let-up. it's part of the morning and nite rituals. more comfort and bonding than anything else.

i got pg when my ds was about 1yo but he didn't seem to notice any change but i weaned him off the day feeds then. unfortunately i lost the bb at 10w, so end of story...

stay strong everyone!

himawari

1 mth plus now. Usually latch on in the afternoon, but will pump twice during the day and twice at night for my husband to feed her at night.
Satisfaction level is quite high.I heard from quite a few breastfeeding mummy that by the time baby is bigger they tend to be quite rough on the nipple.
So i thought it will be a good idea to buy avent nipple protector so baby can still latch on but not directly onto your nipple.

AngelLove

Any one of you have the experience of breastfeeding and travelling for work ?

Care to share your experience on how to maintain pumping during baby's absence and how to provide sufficient EBM during your absence for the couple of days. Does baby still continue breastfeeding after your return and resume the normal BF schedule ? How does your absence affect baby ?

AngelLove

Hi stonston

I was like you, oversupply.. till my freezer was bursting and worse, i kena mastitis three times! *faint*

I managed to cut down (by shortening the duration of each pumping session gradually, ie. not to empty the breast completely) a few months ago, so my dd = ss now :)

All the best! You can do it too :)
How long do you take to pump during each session and how many times a day ? How much EBM do you pump per session ? Do you pump at work ? How much EBM does your baby consume per day ?

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Hi AngelLove,

You would need to estimate the amt of ebm your baby requires while you are travelling away from baby and ensure you have a sufficient stash for your baby.

And when you are travelling, you will have to make time to pump regularly to ensure maintain your supply for baby upon your return. You can either pump and dump or pump and store hence bringing the ebm back home.

Babies are very adaptable but do make sure you return with lots of hugs and kisses for baby when u return home. :)

bbjan

Hi

My baby gal is 11mth old now and I have been giving her TEBM. I intend to gv her partial BM and so started introducing FM. But she doesnt like the taste of FM and have been rejecting milk. So, I mixed the FM with ser ome EBM and she doesnt mind.

My concern here is whether it is OK to mixed warmed EBM with FM in one bottle to feed baby. Will it compromise the quality and nutritional values of the milk.? My gal just refuses take a whole bottle of FM and this cant go on cos my supply cant meet her demand now. I am pumping 3 x a day and each time yield abt 3oz. Her daily consumption is around 17oz.

AngelLove

Hi AngelLove,

You would need to estimate the amt of ebm your baby requires while you are travelling away from baby and ensure you have a sufficient stash for your baby.

And when you are travelling, you will have to make time to pump regularly to ensure maintain your supply for baby upon your return. You can either pump and dump or pump and store hence bringing the ebm back home.

Babies are very adaptable but do make sure you return with lots of hugs and kisses for baby when u return home. :)
Hi bluechin,

Thanks for your reply.

My concern is whether I would be able to make time regularly to pump in order to maintain supply upon return from travelling, as you know this would have to be done between business meetings. I have a regular pumping schedule during work but when you are travelling the timing may not be as regular and in addition I have no idea where to pump as well in a foreign land. I am worried that during the few days away it will affect my supply upon return as I may not have the luxury of time to pump in between meetings.

Any advice to share ?

stonston

AngelLove, jus pump as often as u can when travelling, dun worry to much...cos stress will make ur supply go down...

himawari

Hi

My baby gal is 11mth old now and I have been giving her TEBM. I intend to gv her partial BM and so started introducing FM. But she doesnt like the taste of FM and have been rejecting milk. So, I mixed the FM with ser ome EBM and she doesnt mind.

My concern here is whether it is OK to mixed warmed EBM with FM in one bottle to feed baby. Will it compromise the quality and nutritional values of the milk.? My gal just refuses take a whole bottle of FM and this cant go on cos my supply cant meet her demand now. I am pumping 3 x a day and each time yield abt 3oz. Her daily consumption is around 17oz.
Maybe you can try giving her more cereal and mashed fruits, the vitamins from there are more than a standard FM.

AngelLove

Hi stonston

I was like you, oversupply.. till my freezer was bursting and worse, i kena mastitis three times! *faint*

I managed to cut down (by shortening the duration of each pumping session gradually, ie. not to empty the breast completely) a few months ago, so my dd = ss now :)

All the best! You can do it too :)
Dear Sleepymama,

How long do you take to pump per session and how much ?

Is it normal for EBM to decrease when baby is more than 24 months old ? Last week I just had this sudden decrease in EBM and am worried as to why this is happening.

If I try to add an additional pumping session (eg. 12 pm) between pumping sessions (eg. 10 am and 2 pm), I find that I can hardly collect any EBM at the 12 pm session.

sleepymama

Hi AngelLove

I used to spend about 10 minutes pumping followed by another 5-10 minutes hand expressing! Cos I find the pump can't remove all the milk! :eek:
I used to get about 6oz from each session (around 5 hours apart). I pump twice at work, once in the morning before I leave for work and once at night before bed. My baby latches on between 2 to 4 times through the night.

As to whether milk supply will decrease when baby reaches 24 mths, I don't think so, unless there is a decrease in the number of pumping times, decrease in the amount of milk being pumped or mommy has fallen ill! Otherwise, I do think supply should maintain.

My supply dipped badly last month when I fell ill with serious stomach flu! I had to supplement during the two weeks! After I recovered, supply went back to almost normal, but then I fell ill again two weeks ago (bad cough and flu) and supply came tumbling down again! Sigh! Now, I get only about half of what I used to pump. :(

Then, to pump more milk by adding another session at 12nn, you need to keep at it for at least a week or more before you can see result. So, if you really want it to happen and can afford the time for the added session, you'll need to persevere with the added pumping session, pumping at least 10 minutes after the last drop. All the best!