Waking up every HOUR

RRoses

My baby boy is about 2months and 2 weeks old. I am not very sure if he already knows how to differentiate day and night time. I thought so but it seems like he hasnt got used to night. He would normally have his last feed at abt 11 or 12am and next would be at 3am, and then at 6am. A few times we were lucky he drank at 10pm and then at 3 and then at 7. He is feeding on breastmilk now and his intervals in the day is 2hours. Just recently, we shifted to another room to sleep at night. and he wakes up all the time. 1am 2am 3am 4am 5am and then 8am. he either wants to drink and then falls asleep, or he just opens his eyes wide. normally after his night feeds he'd immediately return to sleep and doesnt even open his eyes. what could be the problem? i am worn out zzz

chiro

Hi,

think its known as arsenic hour...

similar thing happened to my ds before, drink 15 min, sleep 15 min then wake up, drink milk...etc...

can drag until 9am till both of us kknock out and sleep till 4pm

later i realised that its because i put him back to cot immediately after he fell asleep. so i hold carried him for about 10 mins (after he fell asleep) before putting him to cot..and it works

My baby boy is about 2months and 2 weeks old. I am not very sure if he already knows how to differentiate day and night time. I thought so but it seems like he hasnt got used to night. He would normally have his last feed at about 11 or 12am and next would be at 3am, and then at 6am. A few times we were lucky he drank at 10pm and then at 3 and then at 7. He is feeding on breastmilk now and his intervals in the day is 2hours. Just recently, we shifted to another room to sleep at night. and he wakes up all the time. 1am 2am 3am 4am 5am and then 8am. he either wants to drink and then falls asleep, or he just opens his eyes wide. normally after his night feeds he'd immediately return to sleep and doesnt even open his eyes. what could be the problem? i am worn out zzz

annie

wat do u mean by u shifted to another rm to sleep at night? only bb in a room or all of u shifted? bb might either be feeling lonely without u or cos of the unfamiliar bedroom. also, it might be a growth sprut which will goes off between 2-7days..

chiro, wat do u mean by 'cannot put him back to cot immediately after he fall asleep??'

RRoses

what do you mean by you shifted to another rm to sleep at night? only baby in a room or all of you shifted? baby might either be feeling lonely without you or cos of the unfamiliar bedroom. also, it might be a growth sprut which will goes off between 2-7days..

chiro, what do you mean by 'cannot put him back to cot immediately after he fall asleep??'

all of us shifted. i was wondering could it be because we put him in between my hubby and me.. so just a little movement and he'll fidget and wake up.. whats a growth sprut? after bfeeding him, i'll put him down immediately once he falls asleep haha.. that could be a factor i guess

RRoses

Hi,

think its known as arsenic hour...

similar thing happened to my dear son before, drink 15 min, sleep 15 min then wake up, drink milk...etc...

can drag until 9am till both of us kknock out and sleep till 4pm

later i realised that its because i put him back to cot immediately after he fell asleep. so i hold carried him for about 10 mins (after he fell asleep) before putting him to cot..and it works

what's an arsenic hour?
btw how can i know if my baby has learnt and is aware when is day and when is night? i used to think that he already knew whens day and night but the doc from polyclinic says he still wakes alot at night..
but he sleeps after every feed thou..

snowbear

all of us shifted. i was wondering could it be because we put him in between my hubby and me.. so just a little movement and he'll fidget and wake up.. whats a growth sprut? after bfeeding him, i'll put him down immediately once he falls asleep haha.. that could be a factor i guess
i think she means growth spurt. That's when bbs will want to eat/drink more so that they can grow! :D

My dd also needs some time to fall deeper into sleep before putting her back to the cot.

annie

oh this i dunno cos i always put my girl into the cot awake.. its like she will unlatch herself then stretch her body then i put her into her cot then she move move into her fav position then rub rub eye a bit, yawn a bit then fall asleep lol

uddermummy

oh this i dont know cos i always put my girl into the cot awake.. its like she will unlatch herself then stretch her body then i put her into her cot then she move move into her fav position then rub rub eye a bit, yawn a bit then fall asleep lol
i must train my dd to do this too! She must hold my nipple hostage before she will sleep!

jojoki

i must train my dear daughter to do this too! She must hold my nipple hostage before she will sleep!
haha me too...think its bad habit let babies sleep off while nursing hor... i cant imagine when their teeth grow...my bb see me like must suck suck.. full di still must suck suck let SOP like dat!! see must suck!! fed up man make me feel like a COW!! mooooooo

annie

lol i train my girl to do so cos those books i read says if we always put bb to sleep when they are awake, they will learn how to put themselves to sleep when they do wake up in the middle of the night thus speed up the 'sleep through the night' process BUT its not working for my girl! she knows how to sleep by herself since day 1 but then till now still haven sleep through the night.. these 2 nights worse. waking up every 1-2hrs dunno y.

RRoses

he's still waking up every hour at night.. thought he needed a diaper change but nope thought he wanted milk but nope and his eyes were WIDEEEEEe open! My friend told me it could be due to itchy gums that caused him to wake all the time.. ITCHY GUMS AT 2MONTHS 2WEEKS? possible??? & he's biting my nipple FREQUENTLY these days.. hai

annie

anything is possible lol. u can check if there is any redness or soreness on his gums? ppl say the 1st 2 teeth will erupt around 6mths old but then my girl's 1st 2 teeth erupted when she was 4.5mths old.. n she started teething(drooling) around 6 weeks old!

snowbear

anything is possible lol. you can check if there is any redness or soreness on his gums? ppl say the 1st 2 teeth will erupt around 6mths old but then my girl's 1st 2 teeth erupted when she was 4.5mths old.. and she started teething(drooling) around 6 weeks old!
drooling around 6-8wks is normal and it's nothing to do with teething. It's just production of more saliva at that time. Read it at babycenter last time. :D

First teeth usually erupt 4 months-1year old.

annie

really? lol. cos i read that signs of teething is exessive drooling which results in rashes on the cheeks n chin.. n my girl had that since 6 weeks old.

stonston

lol i train my girl to do so cos those books i read says if we always put baby to sleep when they are awake, they will learn how to put themselves to sleep when they do wake up in the middle of the night thus speed up the 'sleep through the night' process
I totally agree with this. from day 1 i do not carry or nurse my son to sleep.
he always manage to fall asleep on his own.
now he's 2+yo, he can go take nap during the day on his own. he'll go lie down on his bed, if not very sleepy, he'll fiddle with his soft toys then slowly drift to sleep. same for night time. when it's time to sleep he'll go in his room and lie on his bed. sometimes not sleepy cos day time slept late, then he'll play with his soft toys first. else, he usually falls asleep almost immediately. he'll sleep on his own, no need to pat or sing song or rock him or do anything :) jus switch off light for him can le :p

for my fren her gal wants her to carry all the time. but i told her night time sleep must be persistant cos everyone needs to rest also. now her gal can fall asleep after playing on her own. at first need to be abit hardhearted cos she wont fall asleep so quickly and mean she gets lesser sleep. but after a while she realise nothing interesting, she'll fall asleep. haha.

annie

yea my girl also. i always give her milk before bed la but then she never falls asleep on my breast. even if she does, i will try to make my action a bit bigger when putting her on the cot so she kinda wake up. finally she always rub rub eyes, pull pull ear, scratch head, kick kick, wriggle wriggle then go to sleep lol. sometimes she after milk dun sleep then she will play by herself(flip around, pulling legs etc) n fall asleep during playing hehe BUT still she dosent sleep through the night though she can fall asleep herself without my help since day 1...

RRoses

btw, any creams to recommend for itchy gums ? what if i apply the cream for him then actually he's not having itchy gums at all? no harm trying one right? haha

Phoebii Cheng

btw, any creams to recommend for itchy gums ? what if i apply the cream for him then actually he's not having itchy gums at all? no harm trying one right? haha
You can try putting aloe vera gel, it's soothing to the gums....that time when my son has ulcers, I put it for him and its quite effective, you can get it at medical hall

Ting

if baby is just awake and doesnt cry for milk, then i think just leave him as he is, after a while will fall aslp.
during the first month, pin also cant differentiate.
she will wake up arnd 4am for one milk feed then wont sleep til 6 am.
sumtimes i just ignore her and off the lights, she will look arnd then after that fall aslp by herself.
and now she's 2 your plus, normally when she slps, she wud prefer company, and she would want us to pat her to sleep, but only 1-2 mins then she KO already. :)

DodoTan

It's jus t a phase. Don't keep changing what you do and where your baby sleeps. Keep doing the same thing even if it doesn't seem very effective at first. Eventually, your child will get it and adapt.

I usually give my son a wipe-down or quick bath around 8pm. Then followed by some milk in a dark and quiet room. Then I'll put him in his bed and leave the room. Whe he was younger, he'd cry. I'll let him cry a bit then go soothe him then leave again. Also, once he enter the dark room for night sleep, I never switch on the lights till next morning. Even middle of the night get up also no lights and no noise.

Took my son a long time to get used to it, but now even if he wakes up in the middle of the night on his own, he'll see that it's still dark and eventually go back to sleep on his own.