Wat to use to heat up the porridge??

autumn82

really? can grind? ooh.. hav you trid the grinding method to cook congee for your baby? i dont know how many tablespoon my girl taking but estimated should be around 3-4 recently.. she is taking 2 ice cube size.

hehe i dont know how much is 3 tablespoon of uncook white rice. i usually take 1/4cups of rice and cook.. then give her one meal (she takes cereal as breakfast so rice as lunch) then store some in the fridge for her lunch the next day and still left about 5 ice cubes. she takes 1-2 cubes per meal so can last me quite long .. impossible to finish in a day..
I blend the porridge only after cooking. But according to my mil, she was surprised i didnt grind the white rice 1st to cook. So ya, white rice can be grind b4 cook. Heh. Mine takes a bowl. combi size.

Ohh.. I usually cook daily.. Heh.

annie

ooh.. ok i shall try grinding up tmr hehe. i wanna try white rice mix brown rice.. so thought of grinding them up together n cook...

mash up the rice after cooking is more tedious in my opinion n time consuming...

LoveBebe

normally i cook 2 portions of porridge in the morning, then put all in the slow cooker to heat up. so even when she's eating in the evening time, the porridge is still very warm.

WEN_9117

how much you cook for one day's meal? 2 meals a day right? how old is your baby? i cook only 1/4 cup of rice yet can seperate at least 5 meals .

i got a strange thinking.. since brown rice can be ground into powder and cook, can we do the same for white rice? i find that grinding into powder then cook is much easier than cook then use the sieve to make the porridge pasty ... also consume less time...
Hi annie,

for my son he is gtg to 4yrs old, but he did take porridge every wk-end now. I and MIL we special buy does rice for porridge use is easy and fast than normal white rice and the taste is better.
U can ask ard in the wet market instead. They will know.
Prepare a porridge take us abt less than 30 mins ba.

1. Boil the rice and sliver fish ikas.
2. Almost ready than put in the veg, fish or meat.
3. Than serve v.fast and easy lor.
Coz later overcook all the nutrient all gone. :001_302:

crystal79

really? can grind? ooh.. hav you trid the grinding method to cook congee for your baby? i dont know how many tablespoon my girl taking but estimated should be around 3-4 recently.. she is taking 2 ice cube size.

hehe i dont know how much is 3 tablespoon of uncook white rice. i usually take 1/4cups of rice and cook.. then give her one meal (she takes cereal as breakfast so rice as lunch) then store some in the fridge for her lunch the next day and still left about 5 ice cubes. she takes 1-2 cubes per meal so can last me quite long .. impossible to finish in a day..
Hi annie

How do you store the porridge in the fridge??? I did not do that ... i just scoop some portion of the porridge from the saucepan in the afternoon... when evening time i just heat up the porridge from the saucepan again. Isit all right to do so???

I steam my uncooked rice to become porriage in steamer. It is very easy... dun need to watch the fire etc....I throw in a pork rib to add to the sweetness. When ready... I usually scoop half up to feed... and then anotehr half when he finishes... so that the porraige willnto turn cold. I dun store any cooked food.... so I did the same for dinner lor.

annie

hmm im not too sure if its ok to simply leave the porridge in the saucepan in rm temp .. cos i worry bout bacteria..bacteria multiply repidly in rm temp...

so for me, if i know she is gonna finish in the same day or within 2 days i will put into a tupperware and cover it up then put into the fridge. when i wanna give her then i take out and microwave.. if she wont be able to finish in 2 days i will put into ice cube tray and freeze it. then thaw overnight in the fridge and the next day heat with microwave before giving her. of cos its best to always cook from stretch so that food is always fresh but then cos my girl dosent eat alot now, i got to store the extras... im looking forward to a day when she eats more so that i dont need to store those extras...

best is of cos to keep somewhere where it will be kept warm till the next feeding session la

snowbear

hmm im not too sure if its ok to simply leave the porridge in the saucepan in rm temp .. cos i worry bout bacteria..bacteria multiply repidly in rm temp...

so for me, if i know she is gonna finish in the same day or within 2 days i will put into a tupperware and cover it up then put into the fridge. when i wanna give her then i take out and microwave.. if she wont be able to finish in 2 days i will put into ice cube tray and freeze it. then thaw overnight in the fridge and the next day heat with microwave before giving her. of cos its best to always cook from stretch so that food is always fresh but then cos my girl dosent eat alot now, i got to store the extras... im looking forward to a day when she eats more so that i dont need to store those extras...

best is of cos to keep somewhere where it will be kept warm till the next feeding session
it's better to cook when u need to than putting the food in the fridge. If after 1 day and she doesn't finish the food, better to throw it away. Dun store in the fridge/freezer. If you want to freeze the stuff, then cook a batch then scoop them into ice-cube trays and pop out what u need each time. It's more hygienic and there won't be a problem of bacteria or food contamination.

alicia also eats quite little but i always cook 1 bowl of porridge just in case (coz there are times that she does finish the bowl). I only cook 1 tablespoon of ricegrains (i use the measuring spoon, not the normal metal spoon) and after adding in the ingredients, it can come up to about a bowl of porridge. Maybe u can cook 1 or 2 tsp of rice grains per meal.

annie

i thought of before but then... so little rice how to cook? u have those super tiny saucepan? cos mine is not very small.. then i tried cooking 1 tablespoon, the water cant even cover the saucepan base! so end up the water keep evaporating then the porridge burn n most of it stick on the base of the pan! the least i can cook which jsut enough to cover the base of my saucepan is 1/4cup... so i always takes 1/4 cup of rice/cereal with 1 cup water...that will usually last about 3-4meals which means bout 2-3days depending on how much she eats..

i only scoop out the qty for the next day n leave in the fridge n then the rest i freeze immediately after cook so they remain fresh. then i thaw the qty i need for a meal overnight in the fridge(read from homemade baby food website) n then bring out to microwave before giving her.

snowbear

i thought of before but then... so little rice how to cook? you have those super tiny saucepan? cos mine is not very small.. then i tried cooking 1 tablespoon, the water cant even cover the saucepan base! so end up the water keep evaporating then the porridge burn and most of it stick on the base of the pan! the least i can cook which jsut enough to cover the base of my saucepan is 1/4cup... so i always takes 1/4 cup of rice/cereal with 1 cup water...that will usually last about 3-4meals which means bout 2-3days depending on how much she eats..

i only scoop out the qty for the next day and leave in the fridge and then the rest i freeze immediately after cook so they remain fresh. then i thaw the qty i need for a meal overnight in the fridge(read from homemade baby food website) and then bring out to microwave before giving her.
ok, that sounds fine. i thought u meant that u keep the food in the fridge for 2 days and if can't finish still keep in the freezer! :tlaugh::tlaugh:

i have a super small slow cooker... when i use a normal size saucepan to cook, i just put more water coz the porridge will burn if not enuff water. Just keep monitoring the water level and the rice grains and add water when necessary.

annie

lol cannot la! put in fridge 2 days then cannot eat liao.. cannot transfer to freezer hehe. my fridge stock is only for the next day. anything more i will freeze it immediately after cook de. i super scared bacteria multiply lol

oh.. then ok la.. me no slow cooker.. n my saucepan not that small.. thought of buyign a smaller one but then figure out that i better not waste the $ since they will increase their food intake gradually..

snowbear

lol cannot ! put in fridge 2 days then cannot eat .. cannot transfer to freezer hehe. my fridge stock is only for the next day. anything more i will freeze it immediately after cook . i super scared bacteria multiply lol

oh.. then ok .. me no slow cooker.. and my saucepan not that small.. thought of buyign a smaller one but then figure out that i better not waste the $ since they will increase their food intake gradually..
actually if u buy a small one now u can use it for a longer period of time. They'll be stuck at eating like 1 bowl of porridge for a long time. :)

annie

really? hmm.. ok.. i was looking for a small non stick saucepan but then cant find leh.. i only found non stick frying pan..n then somemore super ex.. tefal de. i thought there was a problem with tefal's goods many yrs ago? now ok liao? but then again.. tefal one also very big.. those small ones i found are not non stick.. if non stick will indicate one right?

snowbear

really? hmm.. ok.. i was looking for a small non stick saucepan but then cant find .. i only found non stick frying pan..and then somemore super ex.. tefal . i thought there was a problem with tefal's goods many yrs ago? now ok ? but then again.. tefal one also very big.. those small ones i found are not non stick.. if non stick will indicate one right?
i bought the tefal nonstick egg pan to make pancake for her to eat. It's very small only... are u sure u can't find it?

hmmm... why not buy a slow cooker instead then? Dunno abt japan but in sg we have those super small ones meant for cooking porridge for babies and toddlers and costs only about S$30!

annie

really? hmm.. think i go look for slow cooker then...i found the tefal pan but then its pan leh. not saucepan.. fry egg can la but porridge cannot ba? n expensive leh.. heavy also...

annie

i read somewhere that slow cooker not good cos destroy nutrients since its cooking slowly way below boiling pt for long time.. esp veg not good to use a slow cooker thats y i thought maybe its better to buy a non stick saucepan but it seems like there are more non stick fry pan than saucepan lol

snowbear

i read somewhere that slow cooker not good cos destroy nutrients since its cooking slowly way below boiling pt for long time.. esp veg not good to use a slow cooker thats why i thought maybe its better to buy a non stick saucepan but it seems like there are more non stick fry pan than saucepan lol
i only cook the porridge using the slow cooker. When about to serve then i add in the meat and veg. Sometimes i just steam the veg and serve together with the porridge. If i'm adding chicken, i usually will pan fry it first then puree a bit and add to the porridge when about to serve.

annie

i see.. thats a good way. cos i was thinking of using the slow cooker to boil soup or stock for her porridge next time but then read that the nutrients might be lost esp for veg... so i thought better look for a non stick saucepan but all either too big or too ex lol

crystal79

Hi mummies,

Anyone have try using the thermo cooker to cook and warm the porridge??? i saw 1 small thermo cooker just need 10 mins to cook the food in Carrefour... cost only $39.90... not branded one... but dunno good anot... i never try thermo cooker before and dunno whether can use it to cook porridge anot... Pls advise??? Thanks