Wat to use to heat up the porridge??

crystal79

Hi mummies,

What you use to heat up the porridge or cereal when it turns cold??? Microwave oven??? Actually i am using microwave oven to heat up the porridge when it turns cold coz my daughter takes about half to 1 hour to finish her porridge or rice cereal. But i am not sure isit ok to use the mircrowave oven to heat up... Anyone pls advise??? Thanks

annie

yes im using microwave. i had the same doubts as well but then... i still use it as its the fasterst and most conevenient. or you can boil water, put the boiling water into a bigger tray then put your porridge on top(into the water) and stir it . this way also quite good. i sometimes do that. or use cup/mug warmer if your bowl size fits?

snowbear

What i usually do is to scoop out half of the amount i prepared into a bowl and keep the rest in my Tiger lunchbox which keeps the porridge warm for a few hrs. When my dd finishes that amt then i scoop some more out for her so that she doesn't eat cold porridge. Older folks say shldn't re-heat porridge after feeding coz bb will have wind in the stomach. i think it's quite true coz when i re-heated porridge for dd for a few days i realise that she got wind so i stopped doing that (and she's better).

crystal79

But when my daughter eat half way liao then the porridge turns cold oso... so i hv no choice but to use the microwave oven to reheat the porridge.... sometimes i can reheat 2 or 3 times for just one bowl of porridge...coz she really eat very slow... if eat too fast will vomit out. Haiz... i oso dunno wat to do.:embarrassed:

snowbear

But when my daughter eat half way then the porridge turns cold also... so i have no choice but to use the microwave oven to reheat the porridge.... sometimes i can reheat 2 or 3 times for just one bowl of porridge...coz she really eat very slow... if eat too fast will vomit out. Haiz... i also dont know what to do.:embarrassed:
if it's just a bit cold it's not too bad. In fact, read somewhere that it's good that a child can appreciate room temp food - not so fussy! :) my dd also ate her porridge very slowly last time (abt 1hr). aft awhile i realised that she'll lose interest in her food aft awhile so if i want to feed her the porridge i'll have to try again much later or feed her something else to fill up her stomach. U'll have to observe your bb's eating habits and preferences. Now once she starts rejecting her porridge i stop giving it to her and try something else like bread or egg yolk then go back to porridge and see if she's interested still. If she's still not interested then i won't force her anymore.

annie

i actually read somewhere that reheating the food too many times will cause bacteria also leh.. i dun reheat my girl's food during feed cos she eats very fast... faster than i can feed!

stonston

problem with microwave is hot spots. some parts of the food can be boiling hot but other parts feel cold!

i will not recommend microwaving kids food cos of the risk of burning them.

u can try steaming the food or use a hot water bath to reheat the food.

annie

i stir her food before giving her n also blow it n try with my own lips so no hot spots for her n so far my microwave has done a good job. i realise every part is evenly warm up n boiling hot even the food at the base. i will stir n stir till its cooled then give it to her...

autumn82

i stir her food before giving her and also blow it and try with my own lips so no hot spots for her and so far my microwave has done a good job. i realise every part is evenly warm up and boiling hot even the food at the base. i will stir and stir till its cooled then give it to her...
Yea, mine also.. Sometimes, I reheat 2oz of milk for 20secs, super hot.. :tlaugh:

WEN_9117

For me/MIL we use to cook the porridge in morning and feed my son than the balance will feed during the evening times we will re-heat the porridge again (The re-heat will not more than 2 mins by using normal cooking pan) coz later v. hot than eat v. slow

Hmm we always cook just nice for 1 person share. So always we will not have any leftover porridge.

annie

how much you cook for one day's meal? 2 meals a day right? how old is your bb? i cook only 1/4 cup of rice yet can seperate at least 5 meals leh.

i got a strange thinking.. since brown rice can be ground into powder n cook, can we do the same for white rice? i find that grinding into powder then cook is much easier than cook liao then use the sieve to make the porridge pasty leh... also consume less time...

autumn82

how much you cook for one day's meal? 2 meals a day right? how old is your baby? i cook only 1/4 cup of rice yet can seperate at least 5 meals .

i got a strange thinking.. since brown rice can be ground into powder and cook, can we do the same for white rice? i find that grinding into powder then cook is much easier than cook then use the sieve to make the porridge pasty ... also consume less time...
Erm... Iggy takes 3 tablespoon of uncooked white rice for each meal. White rice can be grind. LOL. :tlaugh:

annie

really? can grind? ooh.. hav you trid the grinding method to cook congee for your baby? i dont know how many tablespoon my girl taking but estimated should be around 3-4 recently.. she is taking 2 ice cube size.

hehe i dont know how much is 3 tablespoon of uncook white rice. i usually take 1/4cups of rice and cook.. then give her one meal (she takes cereal as breakfast so rice as lunch) then store some in the fridge for her lunch the next day and still left about 5 ice cubes. she takes 1-2 cubes per meal so can last me quite long .. impossible to finish in a day..