Wat to use to heat up the porridge??

stonston

i'm very lazy. my boy's porridge mostly is steamed. easy to prepare. throw all ingredients into a bowl, put into electric steamer, set timer and viola!

i've tried using thermo to cook porridge also. very good if u need to go work in the day. cos morning before go work prepare, then come home jus nice can eat :p

crystal79

i'm very lazy. my boy's porridge mostly is steamed. easy to prepare. throw all ingredients into a bowl, put into electric steamer, set timer and viola!

i've tried using thermo to cook porridge also. very good if you need to go work in the day. cos morning before go work prepare, then come home just nice can eat :p
Hi stonston,

How long do we need to cook the porridge using the thermo cooker??? do we need to monitor oso???

So which one is better ?? slow cooker or those magic thermo cooker?? pls advise ?? Thanks

snowbear

How long do we need to cook the porridge using the thermo cooker??? do we need to monitor also???

So which one is better ?? slow cooker or those magic thermo cooker?? pls advise ?? Thanks
I've never used the thermo cooker. Using the slow cooker. So far so gd. No need to monitor. Just put in all your stuff and u can go out for a couple of hrs and come back to a nice meal for ur child.

crystal79

I've never used the thermo cooker. Using the slow cooker. So far so good. No need to monitor. Just put in all your stuff and you can go out for a couple of hours and come back to a nice meal for your child.
Hi snowbear,

But the slow cooker can cook the porridge til very lan anot ??

snowbear

Hi snowbear,

But the slow cooker can cook the porridge til very lan anot ??
yes, when i first started, i used to cook the porridge for 3 hrs. Now she doesn't need the very lan type of porridge so i only cook for about 2 hrs. Only when u wanna serve then add in the ingredients to cook, otherwise the nutrients will be lost.

annie

Hi annie

How do you store the porridge in the fridge??? I did not do that ... i just scoop some portion of the porridge from the saucepan in the afternoon... when evening time i just heat up the porridge from the saucepan again. Isit all right to do so???
crystal, i came across this link.. it says rice if kept at rm temp will contains toxins which even reheating cannot destroy it. it might cause diarrhea and vomitting. so far your bb ok with eating the rice this way??

WikiAnswers - How long does cooked rice stay fresh at room temperature

annie

snowbear, today i tried using the zojirushi bag to keep the container n the porridge did remian warm but then very very little only.. its those kind that dosent need blowing to cool de. almsot body temp warm.. dunno rice will spoil or not in this temp kept so many hrs. your tiger one can keep very warm? when u open will there be steam coming out? need to blow before giving alicia?

i dunno if i should buy a new storage container or if i am expecting too much from these containers lol. cos i hope can keep very warm till when u open also will get a bit of steam.. the manual says can keep up to 51 degree in the bag which im satisfied with but then the temp today i would say only at most 35-40.. not even 50...(i didnt pre heat the stainless steel container today before using la. hehe)

snowbear

snowbear, today i tried using the zojirushi bag to keep the container and the porridge did remian warm but then very very little only.. its those kind that dosent need blowing to cool . almsot body temp warm.. dont know rice will spoil or not in this temp kept so many hours. your tiger one can keep very warm? when you open will there be steam coming out? need to blow before giving alicia?

i dont know if i should buy a new storage container or if i am expecting too much from these containers lol. cos i hope can keep very warm till when you open also will get a bit of steam.. the manual says can keep up to 51 degree in the bag which im satisfied with but then the temp today i would say only at most 35-40.. not even 50...(i didnt pre heat the stainless steel container today before using . hehe)
actually you need to let the porridge cool before putting it into the container so you wun be able to see much steam. It's meant to keep food warm, not hot. I think placing scaldingly hot food into the plastic container may spoil it... the manual states that must let the food cool before putting it into the plastic container. Anyway, alicia doesn't like hot food so i don't have a problem with the container so far...:001_302: :001_302:

Last edited:

annie

huh really? i put freshly cooked hot food inside yet it dosent keep warm ! hmm... when i open only got condensed water vapour... i worry it will spoil the porridge.. hai~ i put in when its very hot then only manage to get a bit warm after few hours.. if i put in after cool down then totally not warm i think...

i just read the manual. mine says to put freshly cooked rice into the container. so maybe a bit differnet as your tiger one. but anyway... i put very hot porridge inside end up also not that warm lol

Last edited:

snowbear

huh really? i put freshly cooked hot food inside yet it dosent keep warm ! hmm... when i open only got condensed water vapour... i worry it will spoil the porridge.. hai~ i put in when its very hot then only manage to get a bit warm after few hours.. if i put in after cool down then totally not warm i think...

i just read the manual. mine says to put freshly cooked rice into the container. so maybe a bit differnet as your tiger one. but anyway... i put very hot porridge inside end up also not that warm lol
then the containers are different. Coz that day i put slightly hotter food in the container (due to lack of time to let it cool)and when i opened up the container later, there was still steam and the porridge was still very hot!

annie

really?? hmm.. maybe i should buy the same as yours then... i prefer it to be very hot so that i feel safe to give her (knowing no bacteria will multiply in hot food). kinda regret never buy tiger.. dunno its the brand's problem or wat...

snowbear

really?? hmm.. maybe i should buy the same as yours then... i prefer it to be very hot so that i feel safe to give her (knowing no bacteria will multiply in hot food). kinda regret never buy tiger.. dont know its the brand's problem or what...
there was a salesgirl at takashimaya who told me that tiger's the best japanese brand for these thermalware. But i'm not sure if it's true though... it just happened that there was a review of lunchboxes in a mag i picked up and it rated the tiger one as very good n it happened to be on sale when i walked past that section so decided to buy it. Would not have bought it otherwise... :tlaugh::tlaugh:

annie

then the containers are different. Coz that day i put slightly hotter food in the container (due to lack of time to let it cool)and when i opened up the container later, there was still steam and the porridge was still very hot!
btw, how many hrs has passed when u open the container that time? do u always pre heat the stainless steal container? only 1-2mins?

crystal79

yes, when i first started, i used to cook the porridge for 3 hours. Now she doesn't need the very lan type of porridge so i only cook for about 2 hours. Only when you wanna serve then add in the ingredients to cook, otherwise the nutrients will be lost.
Hi snowbear,

So u mean if i want the porridge to become "lan" then i need to cook for ard 3 hours ah??? Tats quite long leh.... coz before i cook the porridge i will soak the rice for abt 1 and a half hour... then put it to cook in saucepan...So do i need to soak the rice oso and cook it using the slow cooker?? Do u think the porridge can cook less than 2 or 3 hours?? :001_302:

crystal79

crystal, i came across this link.. it says rice if kept at rm temp will contains toxins which even reheating cannot destroy it. it might cause diarrhea and vomitting. so far your baby ok with eating the rice this way??

WikiAnswers - How long does cooked rice stay fresh at room temperature

Hi annie,

My daughter is ok when i reheat the porridge or cereal... she dont have diarrhea and vomitting... so far so good loh.

Can i check with you when you put the porridge in the fridge after it is cook, so you immediately put it in when it is still very hot or you wait till it cool down then you put in ??? Recently i try your method , i put the porridge in the fridge , then take out and heat in microwave oven when i feeding my daughter. :001_302:

annie

hmm depends on your fridge. ppl says u if u hot food into the fridge, it will somehow cause the temp in the fridge to drop so better not. but then for me i do. even freezer, i put hot food immediately inside cos i bought the new mitsubishi fridge n the attractive pt of this fridge is we are able to put hot food into it immediately n there is a immediate froze function...

oh? ok. there are debates saying microwave not good la. i dunno wats right n wrong in this debate though. so im still using it as well. hehe. but then becareful of the hot spot as microwave can heat food too hot. so before giving your girl better blow n blow lol. i always test with my lips before giving her that particular mouthful...btw, dun keep food in fridge for more than 48hrs. usually i try to finish in 24hrs though. if you will keep longer than that then better freeze it.

snowbear

Hi snowbear,

So you mean if i want the porridge to become "lan" then i need to cook for around 3 hours ??? Tats quite long .... coz before i cook the porridge i will soak the rice for about 1 and a half hour... then put it to cook in saucepan...So do i need to soak the rice also and cook it using the slow cooker?? Do you think the porridge can cook less than 2 or 3 hours?? :001_302:
hmm, i think it will be faster. How much faster exactly i dun know coz i stopped soaking the grains after i bought the slow cooker. :001_302::001_302:

Anyway, unless your fridge has specific instructions that can put hot food in it without cooling like annie's, it's not advisable to do so.