Wat to use to heat up the porridge??

snowbear

wats the thermos thinggy??

i freeze potato puree before and its ok. no problem.

btw, can we simply throw those frozen cubes into the saucepan and heat them? or.. lets say i defreeze in the fridge overnight and then when i need to use for my girl, can i throw into the porridge and cook together? if so, we cannot refreeze or re frigerate right? im thinking of ways not to use the microwave hehe. so far i only use microwave for her fruits and veg.. if can throw in and cook together then i wont need to use the microwave...btw, for steaming, how can we do that with a saucepan?? i dont cook so a bit idiot on these. hehe. we need to buy a steaming stand? then put those cubes into another bowl on top of the stand or what? any more $ saving method? hehe
So far i always take out the frozen cubes to put in the fridge the night before and by the time i need to use it the next morning they're already defrosted. Then i steam that up (i dont have microwave oven).

You can fill your wok with some water, place a metal plate/bowl of some depth into it then put the stuff you wanna steam on another plate and place it on top when the water is boiling. That should be fine even if you dont have a steaming stand. :)

annie

hmm any bowl ok? i no metal plate/bowl.. lol worry the bowl dosent conduct heat well...

annie

hmm.. i seem like i dun have lots of things for cooking lol. shows how seldom i cook..

autumn82

hmm.. i seem like i dont have lots of things for cooking lol. shows how seldom i cook..
I also dun have metal bowl!! :p But I have alot of glassware. LOL. So microwave can be used. Or if u have corning ware also can use. Heh.

annie

mummies using slow cooker, rice cooker etc to cook rice porridge here, can i ask how long does the cooked rice porridge stay fresh in the rice cooker under the 'keep warm' function? was wondering if lets say our bb didnt eat alot n still some porridge is left over, do u all still keep inside the rice cooker under keep warm function or bring out n keep in the fridge? i wonder can kep 2-3 days or not since the temp remains warm in the rice cooker...

autumn82

mummies using slow cooker, rice cooker etc to cook rice porridge here, can i ask how long does the cooked rice porridge stay fresh in the rice cooker under the 'keep warm' function? was wondering if lets say our baby didnt eat alot and still some porridge is left over, do you all still keep inside the rice cooker under keep warm function or bring out and keep in the fridge? i wonder can kep 2-3 days or not since the temp remains warm in the rice cooker...
If it is just plain porridge left inside, shld be fine for a day. But if there are ingredients in it, then the nutrients would prob be gone by then. For myself, I was told not to keep porridge after a day coz it will cause wind to the baby, so whateva leftover, I'll just throw it away. :)

annie

oh. u dun even transfer to fridge? i usually use a saucepan to cook n leftover transfer to fridge n microwave the next day but today use rice cooker so wonder how long i can keep fresh(edible) inside it...

autumn82

oh. you dont even transfer to fridge? i usually use a saucepan to cook and leftover transfer to fridge and microwave the next day but today use rice cooker so wonder how long i can keep fresh(edible) inside it...
Porridge I don't keep overnite. But I pureed vegs and use it la.. LOL. Rice cooker? Wah, u cooked alot? If the rice cooker is on thru, shldn't be a problem..

annie

ya on thru.. nope i cooked only 1/2 cup of uncooked rice.. but then my girl sure cant finish. usually i cook 1/4cup using saucepan she will finish them in a day IF she eats well. if not the 1/4cup can keep for 2nd day as well! so this 1/2 cup.. i guess i can keep 2-3 days...

autumn82

ya on thru.. nope i cooked only 1/2 cup of uncooked rice.. but then my girl sure cant finish. usually i cook 1/4cup using saucepan she will finish them in a day IF she eats well. if not the 1/4cup can keep for 2nd day as well! so this 1/2 cup.. i guess i can keep 2-3 days...
Wah.. Tat's pretty long.. Heh. Iggy only takes 3 tablespoons of uncooked for a meal.. He's still on 1 meal. Gonna plan to start him on 2 meals daily soon.. Heh.

snowbear

tt's a lot of porridge!!!! When cooking for bb it's best to give fresh rather than overnight porridge so i dun think it's advisable to keep it for more than 2 days.. like autumn, i throw away e porridge at e end of e day... maybe u eat some of it so no wastage? :001_302::001_302:

annie

really ah? hmm.. usually u all cook how much for 2meals?? 1/4 cup is consider a lot or little? i usually cook 1/4cup..

autumn82

really ? hmm.. usually you all cook how much for 2meals?? 1/4 cup is consider a lot or little? i usually cook 1/4cup..
Erm.. Currently 1 meal for Iggy, I take 3 tablespoons of uncooked rice + half a small pot of water boil for ard 20-30mins.

annie

so how much porridge it makes? one full adult bowl? he 11mths liao taking only 1 meal ah? i heard after starting solid 1 mth then should increase to 2 meals and around 1yr old 3meals?

autumn82

so how much porridge it makes? one full adult bowl? he 11mths taking only 1 meal ? i heard after starting solid 1 month then should increase to 2 meals and around 1yr old 3meals?
Erm... Dunno yr adult and mine different or not.. LOL. :p But am using the medium bowl for this range. Munchkin: Stay-Put Suction Bowls It is ard 2 bowls for combi de. :)

I wanted him to drink more milk so still on 1 meal until 1yr old, then I'll introduce 2 meals. :)

stonston

For my son:
4-6mths: only lunch is solids, sometimes breakfast is solids if my mum cooks oats
7-8mths: 2 meals is solid food, lunch and dinner
9-10mths: 2 meals solid food, some solid for breakfast (not full portion, try to give finger foods)
11mths onwards: 3 meals of solid per day (1 meal will be finger food)
13mths onwards: 3 meals of solid plus 2 breaks (morning and afternoon) with finger foods
*his milk intake was still very high with solids cos we still continued to give him milk at regular intervals. and he was offered milk after solids (but half the usual quantity).

now he's 2+, he gets:
- 1 chinese bowl of oats
- 1 regular portion of breakfast served at school (can be 2 hard boiled eggs, sandwiches, etc)
- 2 chinese bowl of rice/noodle for lunch, plus fruits served at school
- 1 portion of snack served at school (usually is chee cheong fun, sandwich, green bean soup, etc), plus fruits served at school
- sometimes will have some biscuit or bread at late evening
- 2 chinese bowl of rice/noodle for dinner
- 1/2 chinese bowl of cut fruits
- Milk intake throughout the day: 4-5 bottles of 330ml

annie

ooh.. ok... he seems to be eating alot hehe. my girl sometimes eat alot sometimes a few mouth then she dun wan liao. these few days she has been eating only a few mouths thus i end up throwing alot away!

autumn82

For my son:
4-6mths: only lunch is solids, sometimes breakfast is solids if my mum cooks oats
9-10mths: 2 meals solid food, some solid for breakfast (not full portion, try to give finger foods)
13mths onwards: 3 meals of solid plus 2 breaks (morning and afternoon) with finger foods
*his milk intake was still very high with solids cos we still continued to give him milk at regular intervals. and he was offered milk after solids (but half the usual quantity).

now he's 2+, he gets:
- 1 chinese bowl of oats
- 1 regular portion of breakfast served at school (can be 2 hard boiled eggs, sandwiches, etc)
- 1 portion of snack served at school (usually is chee cheong fun, sandwich, green bean soup, etc), plus fruits served at school
Wow! Good wor ur boy. :)

snowbear

For my son:

now he's 2+, he gets:
- 1 chinese bowl of oats
wow... your boy can really eat...

My gal only has 2 main meals (porridge/ pasta/ pancake/ bread) and grazes throughout the day on cod, egg yolk, yogurt, bread, fruits. She has 1 meal of fruits (about 1 chinese bowl - fruit baby!!) in the evening/nite... I latch her on demand, sometimes after her food/snacks she'll want to end off with milk also.

Is she eating enough??