Wat to use to heat up the porridge??

crystal79

hmm depends on your fridge. ppl says you if you hot food into the fridge, it will somehow cause the temp in the fridge to drop so better not. but then for me i do. even freezer, i put hot food immediately inside cos i bought the new mitsubishi fridge and the attractive pt of this fridge is we are able to put hot food into it immediately and there is a immediate froze function...

oh? ok. there are debates saying microwave not good . i dont know wats right and wrong in this debate though. so im still using it as well. hehe. but then becareful of the hot spot as microwave can heat food too hot. so before giving your girl better blow and blow lol. i always test with my lips before giving her that particular mouthful...btw, dont keep food in fridge for more than 48hrs. usually i try to finish in 24hrs though. if you will keep longer than that then better freeze it.

Hi annie,

I not very sure of my fridge whether can immediately put hot food inside anot.... my refridgerator is mitsubishi oso but its the 2nd smaller in size...:001_302:

Hmm.... same as u i always test with my lips before giving her that particular mouthful... btw when u feed ur baby halfway and the porridge turns very cold liao... do u reheat it with microwave again or u still give her the cold porridge???

crystal79

hmm, i think it will be faster. How much faster exactly i dont know coz i stopped soaking the grains after i bought the slow cooker. :001_302::001_302:

Anyway, unless your fridge has specific instructions that can put hot food in it without cooling like annie's, it's not advisable to do so.
Hi snowbear,

Oh ok.... do u cook some stock beforehand ... then after tat cook with the rice grains in slow cooker or u just cook without any stock???

annie

i give her the cold food. i read that its not good to keep reheating bb's food so i didnt. also, it might be better to let her get used to rm temp's food so she wont be so picky in future. also, my girl eat quite fast. she usually finish her food in just less than 10mins or so( i didnt check the time but i feel its about 10mins la hehe). i realise cereal gets cold faster than porridge.. even so, i dun reheat her cereal even though i gets cold almost after 1-2mins lol

i suppose if u want the porridge to taste better then cook it with stock that u have prepared beforehand. if not u can cook plain porridge using just water as well. so far ive been using only water for cooking porridge. haven start on veg stocks yet...

snowbear

Hi snowbear,

Oh ok.... do you cook some stock beforehand ... then after that cook with the rice grains in slow cooker or you just cook without any stock???
i cook a batch of stock then freeze them in the amts i need then just take out whatever i need to use for the day. i'd cook the porridge in stock unless i run out of stock and have no time to cook.

crystal79

i give her the cold food. i read that its not good to keep reheating baby's food so i didnt. also, it might be better to let her get used to rm temp's food so she wont be so picky in future. also, my girl eat quite fast. she usually finish her food in just less than 10mins or so( i didnt check the time but i feel its about 10mins hehe). i realise cereal gets cold faster than porridge.. even so, i dont reheat her cereal even though i gets cold almost after 1-2mins lol

i suppose if you want the porridge to taste better then cook it with stock that you have prepared beforehand. if not you can cook plain porridge using just water as well. so far ive been using only water for cooking porridge. have not start on veg stocks yet...
Oh i see, but if give her cold food... will it affect her stomach?? Like got wind inside her stomach or watever???

crystal79

i cook a batch of stock then freeze them in the amts i need then just take out whatever i need to use for the day. i'd cook the porridge in stock unless i run out of stock and have no time to cook.
what kind of stock did you cook??? i only cook ikan bilis stock. Btw the stock can keep for hw many days if freeze it???

Last edited:

snowbear

Oh i see, but if give her cold food... will it affect her stomach?? Like got wind inside her stomach or watever???
actually room temp food is ok as annie says. In fact, it's easier for u if your bb is accustomed to eating room temp food - less fussy! :)

crystal79

I cook veg, chicken and pork ribs stock. I usually use it within 2 weeks of cooking.
So may i know hw you thaw those frozen food like fish and meat etc??.... i only take out from the fridge and leave it on kitchen top... where and wat do u use to store the peeling potato??? Dunno y after i peel the potato, wrap it in zing wrap and put in freezer or fridge , the potato turn slightly brown or black leh...

Last edited:

snowbear

So may i know hw you thaw those frozen food like fish and meat etc??.... i only take out from the fridge and leave it on kitchen top... where and what do you use to store the peeling potato??? dont know why after i peel the potato, wrap it in zing wrap and put in freezer or fridge , the potato turn slightly brown or black ...
i also do the same for fish and meat as with the veg puree. I portion out the fish and meat into what i need for a day then only defrost those. I'd take out the small pack of fish/meat the day before to thaw in the fridge. Try not to thaw food on the countertop coz that introduces bacteria to it.

After i peel potato actually i try to cook it immediately to prevent it from turning black. Can use salt water to soak it to prevent it from turning black but coz it's for dd i dun want to soak in salt water. So i cook it then let it cool before putting it into the fridge.

crystal79

i also do the same for fish and meat as with the veg puree. I portion out the fish and meat into what i need for a day then only defrost those. I'd take out the small pack of fish/meat the day before to thaw in the fridge. Try not to thaw food on the countertop coz that introduces bacteria to it.

After i peel potato actually i try to cook it immediately to prevent it from turning black. Can use salt water to soak it to prevent it from turning black but coz it's for dear daughter i dont want to soak in salt water. So i cook it then let it cool before putting it into the fridge.
Oh i see, so u boil or steam the potato before putting it into the fridge?? if put in the fridge, when we need to use it up??

annie

cooked food in the fridge can be fresh for up to 48hrs though i always use it up the next day if i can. if wanna store longer then store in the freezer up to 3mths(i always try to finish in a mth though)

stonston

I don't use slow cooker for the following reasons:
- waste electricity
- nutrients loss is higher
- fire hazard (if left unattended)

I use the brand THERMOS, it's stainless steel inside, so we pour boiling hot water inside.
Wot i do is boil his stock until boiling hot, wash the rice which i pounded slightly cos my boy like it mushy and place all the minced meat and veges inside. then pour the hot boiling stock into the thermos with the other ingredients already inside. close it immediately and let it cook for at least 4hours.

i usually do it in the morning before go work so tt lunch time my maid will hv food to feed my son. then afternoons i'm home, i'll steam his dinner for him.

before he started to take larger portions, i always do batch cooking. Freeze his purees into ice cubes (covered in freezer). the night before, i'll take down wot he needs the next day n place in fridge (in covered air tight container). when it's almost meal time, i'll steam the food cubes to heat up :)

snowbear

Oh i see, so you boil or steam the potato before putting it into the fridge?? if put in the fridge, when we need to use it up??
i've done both before but nowadays i boil it coz i feel that it's faster. As annie said, better to use it by the next day. If u know u can't finish it by the next day, after cooking and the food has cooled, put it into the freezer. Usually i use it within 1 month. i read that potato puree doesn't freeze well though.

snowbear

I dont't use slow cooker for the following reasons:
- waste electricity
- nutrients loss is higher
- fire hazard (if left unattended)
Actually i read about the nutrients loss thingy for slow cooker but since i only cook the porridge using it i figured out that it isn't a huge problem (i usually cook the ingredients separately). There are slow cookers with timer so it being a fire hazard isn't an issue. Anyway i'm a clock watcher so i dun have a problem with that... :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:That time when i was considering the slow cooker, i was using gas to cook porridge and i think cooking porridge using gas is a lot more exp than using the slow cooker. Anyway, your THERMOS sounds quite good. Didn't know about that otherwise wouldn't have invested in a slow cooker. Now just have to live with it... sigh

before he started to take larger portions, i always do batch cooking. Freeze his purees into ice cubes (covered in freezer). the night before, i'll take down what he needs the next day and place in fridge (in covered air tight container). when it's almost meal time, i'll steam the food cubes to heat up :)
I also used to do that for dd when she was into purees. I find that it's efficient and saves time.

stonston

Actually my hb did a calculation, it's more exp to use slow cooker to cook a small portion of porridge. tt's y we chucked our slow cooker aside :)

snowbear

Actually my husband did a calculation, it's more exp to use slow cooker to cook a small portion of porridge. that's why we chucked our slow cooker aside :)
Is your slow cooker the teeny weeny type? Mine is... purposely went to buy it to cook her porridge. Anyway, she isn't particularly fond of porridge so end up nowadays i cook more pasta for her...

Actually I dunno what happened along the way. She was eating very well after she got used to semi-solids, wasn't picky abt any food... then when she reached abt 9 months old, she rejected all the staple that she'd been eating (porridge and cereal) and became super fussy abt food. After her teeth cut through about 3wks after she started this behaviour, she started accepting porridge again but not cereal. But she's still very picky. So now i have no choice, i have to experiment and see what she likes to eat and give more of that to her...

stonston

ya, the teeny weeny type. enuf to cook 1 portion of porridge de. it uses alot of electricity!

if always give porridge n cereal sure will bored n reject de. i give my boy 5 different types of grains (some times mix, sometimes seperate) for more variety. and when i give brown rice, i buy sweet brown rice (nicer texture n taste). we tried making our own noodles for him also, he loves it (and good for us to hide veges inside!). but i tink his fave so far is animal pasta! it's colourful cos it's flavoured with different veges and very interesting :)

snowbear

ya, the teeny weeny type. enuf to cook 1 portion of porridge . it uses alot of electricity!

if always give porridge and cereal sure will bored and reject . i give my boy 5 different types of grains (some times mix, sometimes seperate) for more variety. and when i give brown rice, i buy sweet brown rice (nicer texture and taste). we tried making our own noodles for him also, he loves it (and good for us to hide veges inside!). but i tink his fave so far is animal pasta! it's colourful cos it's flavoured with different veges and very interesting :)
animal pasta? Never seen that before... but i have given organic pasta that's flavoured with different veges as well.. That time I was thinking that she might be bored with porridge and cereal so after that i changed her menu... But i realised that most babies just eat the same old porridge every day and never get sick of it...

annie

wats the thermos thinggy??

i freeze potato puree before n its ok. no problem.

btw, can we simply throw those frozen cubes into the saucepan n heat them? or.. lets say i defreeze in the fridge overnight n then when i need to use for my girl, can i throw into the porridge n cook together? if so, we cannot refreeze or re frigerate right? im thinking of ways not to use the microwave la hehe. so far i only use microwave for her fruits n veg.. if can throw in n cook together then i wont need to use the microwave...btw, for steaming, how can we do that with a saucepan?? i dun cook la so a bit idiot on these. hehe. we need to buy a steaming stand? then put those cubes into another bowl on top of the stand or wat? any more $ saving method? hehe