Weaning off Formula Milk?

bdaygrl

Anyone taken their formula-fed babies off formula milk before 1 year old? What fluids did you give to replace formula, and what kind of dairy products are safe for babies under 1 year old?

I'm asking because my baby is tired of formula milk (she eats solids well though) and the pd says not to force her to drink it if she doesn't want to...

Any advice on how to ensure she still has required nutrition without taking formula milk?

Ting

u can switch to fresh milk instead.
actually pin is very well on solids too, but i nvr wean her off.
i find that maybe u can just reduce the number of feeds rather than cutting off entirely.
if not, like i mentioned, try fresh milk.

Ting

hmm i will suggest u wait til after 1 yo cos the baby's main food shld stil be milk b4 1 yo.
solids r just to supplement the milk feeds n also to introduce them to solids/
i know in some western countries they switch to fresh milk after 1yo.
if u find it too cold, just let it sit for 5-10 mins.
u can also introduce yoghurt n cheese to your baby, in a form of dairy products.

apollo

i'm v curious y u wanna wean ur baby off FM? she is only 8mth old, her main food source shd be MILK.

y u said she is tired of FM? she totally refuse to drink? i think ust let her drink as much as she can. at least once in the morning when she wakes up and once b4 bedtime at night.

Last edited:

Ting

uhhhh, how do u know your baby is sick of FM?
i think ur PD shldnt reco u to wean her off.
cos it is known to all that MILK (FM/BM) shld be the MAIN food source for babies BELOW 1yo.
i wont advice u to wean her off. just contd to give her FM n perhaps cut down on her solids.
she shld be on semi solids now BTW.
maybe u given her too much solids, thus she refuses the milk.

newmum80

Anyone taken their formula-fed babies off formula milk before 1 year old? What fluids did you give to replace formula, and what kind of dairy products are safe for babies under 1 year old?

I'm asking because my baby is tired of formula milk (she eats solids well though) and the pediatrician says not to force her to drink it if she doesn't want to...

Any advice on how to ensure she still has required nutrition without taking formula milk?
I am extreme opposite frm you, my bb doesnt seem to like semi solid and till now 8 1/2 mths, he is still depending on his milk feed. I admit i didnt persist when he refuse to open his mouth after a bite. Anyone hv such encounter??

apollo

I am extreme opposite frm you, my baby doesnt seem to like semi solid and till now 8 1/2 mths, he is still depending on his milk feed. I admit i didnt persist when he refuse to open his mouth after a bite. Anyone have such encounter??
is he lik tt since the start of taking semi solid food or only recently? did u gif him more variety of foods as in keep changing the menu?

bdaygrl

yeah she cries so bad as soon as she sees the milk bottle and refuses to drink even though i try really hard - different positions, feeding from a cup etc.

the pd i went to said that taking away food so that she is forced to drink milk is cruel. i've tried that and she just doesn't eat and doesn't drink.
she doesn't like milk of any sort, so she doesn't like cereal. but she loves her veggies.
it's strange she just decided to boycott milk altogether.

newmom80, what solids have you introduced to your baby? try different fruits and veggies to see what your baby enjoys. when my baby doesn't like something she won't open her mouth at all, but when she loves it she can eat three jars at a go.

annie

hmm when my girl dosent open her mouth, i try to 'cheat' her with toys, dvds n all. usually it works.

bdaygrl, try giving her a colourful sippy? maybe that will interest her? drink from straw? if u have really try EVERYTHING n she simply dun take it then no choice? maybe try to stop for few days to 1 week n give her again n see how? fresh milk should only be given to a bb after 1 yr old due to the protein in cow's milk. its not easily digestible by babies before 1 yr old.. or try to change formula? maybe like u said, she is sick of the taste. anyway it might not last forever. my nephew rejects milk for a while too. just keep offering (making lesser qty). one fine day they might decide to drink back. my nephew did and now he is drinking more than the usual amt! (btw he is 2yrs old tmr..)

apollo

yeah she cries so bad as soon as she sees the milk bottle and refuses to drink even though i try really hard - different positions, feeding from a cup etc.

the pediatrician i went to said that taking away food so that she is forced to drink milk is cruel. i've tried that and she just doesn't eat and doesn't drink.
she doesn't like milk of any sort, so she doesn't like cereal. but she loves her veggies.
it's strange she just decided to boycott milk altogether.

newmom80, what solids have you introduced to your baby? try different fruits and veggies to see what your baby enjoys. when my baby doesn't like something she won't open her mouth at all, but when she loves it she can eat three jars at a go.
is she teething? some baby will reect milk when they are teething..

bdaygrl

thanks, annie. i've tried everything, this is the second time she's going through a hate-milk phase. the first time a few months ago i tried every bottle, every teat, soy milk, goats milk, syringe feeding, dream feeding, every trick i could think of.

but this time it's worse, she hasn't had a drop all day. if i do get her to open her mouth, she might suck for a few seconds and then cry when she realizes she's been drinking milk. she uses a sippy for water, but most of it ends up on her bib because she'd rather play with the water than drink it. she doesn't like juice either. i worry about dehydration more than anything. sigh.

oh happy birthday to ur nephew! he's a big boy now.

bdaygrl

hi apollo,
pd checked and she's not teething yet, and all clear medically. he says she's picky and pickiness is genetic (i.e. my fault) :err:

apollo

hi apollo,
pediatrician checked and she's not teething yet, and all clear medically. he says she's picky and pickiness is genetic (i.e. my fault) :err:
pickiness got genetic deeee mehh??

which FM u change for her alrdy? got try pediasure b4?

TANZHENZHI

wow you try so many methods, but none work out? She also dislike drinking water? I heard from one mum told me if the child really dun wan to eat, dun force them. When they're hungry, they'll just ask for it, whatever you give, they also will eat.

candy_ian

If u have tried all ways to trick her to drink but still no sucess mayb can try incooparating the milk in the food? Pancake? Gerber puffs with milk? Creamy pasta? Steam egg with milk?

annie

dunno if pickiness is genetic but it might be cos my girl also super picky just like me! how i wish she can be like her dad in this case... :001_302:

make milk pudding? this way she can get alot of milk at once rather than mix into the solid here n there (alot of work n total qty not alot). i read from books before saying that if a kid above 1 yr is not taking enough solid, maybe its time to wean them off milk so that they can eat more solid.. wonder if it works the opposite way too (wean your girl off solid n give purely milk. she ill drink when she is hungry). sometimes.. though logically u should do 'this', it might not always be possible. if im u i will just go with her flow... she likes solid then i just give solid. its much better than she is not taking in anything.