Weaning off Formula Milk?

newmum80

is he lik that since the start of taking semi solid food or only recently? did you give him more variety of foods as in keep changing the menu?
he is always like that since beginning, he eat but not alot.. even though he likes fruity puree, he wont eat alot each feed, the max i had fed him prob 1/3 of a gerber jar. usually a few spoonful. IF he dislike, he will prob had 1 bite and that's it, refused to open his golden mouth. I did try to feed him when he is hungry (before his milk feed) but he will fuss & crank until he get his milk. So he is still pretty much depend on his milk especially if i bring him out, i dun prep any semi solid to bring out, i jus prep milk. i guess partly oso out of convenience.

newmum80

yeah she cries so bad as soon as she sees the milk bottle and refuses to drink even though i try really hard - different positions, feeding from a cup etc.

the pediatrician i went to said that taking away food so that she is forced to drink milk is cruel. i've tried that and she just doesn't eat and doesn't drink.
she doesn't like milk of any sort, so she doesn't like cereal. but she loves her veggies.
it's strange she just decided to boycott milk altogether.

newmom80, what solids have you introduced to your baby? try different fruits and veggies to see what your baby enjoys. when my baby doesn't like something she won't open her mouth at all, but when she loves it she can eat three jars at a go.
bdaygal mummy,

if ur bb & mine can combine into 1 will be a perfect bb. LOL... mine also 8 mths+ old, but he loves his milk. I've tried to feed him brown rice cereal (ok), millet (he didnt like it), oat (so so), broccoli (not sure), blueberry yoghurt (not bad), apple puree (like it), peach puree (like it), pear puree (like it), avocado (so so)... well, as u can see he seem to enjoy sweety fruit which i suppose most babies does. BUT how do mummies intro those "FOOD" that are not sweet yet make it tasty? I've tried adding organic honey on my homemade blueberry yoghurt so as it wont taste too sour & millet. I admit i am not good at dishing up baby food.

sharonyi66

bdaygal mummy,

if your baby & mine can combine into 1 will be a perfect baby. LOL... mine also 8 mths+ old, but he loves his milk. I've tried to feed him brown rice cereal (ok), millet (he didnt like it), oat (so so), broccoli (not sure), blueberry yoghurt (not bad), apple puree (like it), peach puree (like it), pear puree (like it), avocado (so so)... well, as you can see he seem to enjoy sweety fruit which i suppose most babies does. BUT how do mummies intro those "FOOD" that are not sweet yet make it tasty? I've tried adding organic honey on my homemade blueberry yoghurt so as it wont taste too sour & millet. I admit i am not good at dishing up baby food.
Hmmm... No honey for baby below 1yr old, not even organic type.

apollo

bdaygal mummy,

if your baby & mine can combine into 1 will be a perfect baby. LOL... mine also 8 mths+ old, but he loves his milk. I've tried to feed him brown rice cereal (ok), millet (he didnt like it), oat (so so), broccoli (not sure), blueberry yoghurt (not bad), apple puree (like it), peach puree (like it), pear puree (like it), avocado (so so)... well, as you can see he seem to enjoy sweety fruit which i suppose most babies does. BUT how do mummies intro those "FOOD" that are not sweet yet make it tasty? I've tried adding organic honey on my homemade blueberry yoghurt so as it wont taste too sour & millet. I admit i am not good at dishing up baby food.
sharon is right. NO honey for babies below 1yo.

newmum80

sharon is right. NO honey for babies below 1yo.
ooh.. geee, wat will happen if they had honey??? I've given him some that i've mixed in the blueberry yoghurt. it's been over a week though.

So how to make sourish food taste palatable for bb?

bdaygrl

apollo > unfortunately i can only give pediasure when baby turns 1 right? can't think of any other drinks, milo also cannot right. haha. ive tried lots of brands of FM - mamil, friso, similac, s26, enfamil, goats milk, soy milk... i tried giving barley water she doesn't love it either. what else can i try?
meiteoh > when was ur baby able to drink from a straw? my baby's only 8 months old
candy_ian & annie > i've only mixed milk with biscuits and cereal before and she didn't like it. she tastes the milk and spits it out. milk pudding sounds interesting though, how do you make that??
TANZHENZHI > i think my baby is quite determined. if i don't give her food she just won't eat, and maybe if she's really starving she'll drink a little milk (won't finish the bottle), but then won't she lose weight? i'll feel so bad...
newmum80 > my baby liked sour stuff for a while then now she doesn't. so i give more veggies and chicken that she likes, and wait for her taste to change again...

camom

bdaygal mummy,

What was bb's 1st food? Baby experts usually recommend starting off with veg purees cos they are not sweet like fruit.

At this pt, I can only adv you to continue offering those food that are not so sweet. Probably you can mix the foods together (provided u've prev intro the food and he has no allergic reactions to them individually) and let him try - a sweet + a not so sweet, in differing proportions to let him get used to the food?

Ting

ooh.. geee, what will happen if they had honey??? I've given him some that i've mixed in the blueberry yoghurt. it's been over a week though.

So how to make sourish food taste palatable for baby?
perhaps u dont give them sourish food yet. i think food that r too acidic isnt too good on the tummy for babies.

Ting

apollo > unfortunately i can only give pediasure when baby turns 1 right? can't think of any other drinks, milo also cannot right. haha. ive tried lots of brands of FM - mamil, friso, similac, s26, enfamil, goats milk, soy milk... i tried giving barley water she doesn't love it either. what else can i try?
meiteoh > when was your baby able to drink from a straw? my baby's only 8 months old
candy_ian & annie > i've only mixed milk with biscuits and cereal before and she didn't like it. she tastes the milk and spits it out. milk pudding sounds interesting though, how do you make that??
TANZHENZHI > i think my baby is quite determined. if i dont't give her food she just won't eat, and maybe if she's really starving she'll drink a little milk (won't finish the bottle), but then won't she lose weight? i'll feel so bad...
newmum80 > my baby liked sour stuff for a while then now she doesn't. so i give more veggies and chicken that she likes, and wait for her taste to change again...
actually it doesnt matter how old your baby is the start off on a straw.
pin could drink from a straw arnd 1yo or so. IMO, either u let your child go hungry or u force feed. either way, some ppl r gg to say its "cruel". but i just feel that, some kids, the more u relent, the more they refuse n take advantage.
hv u tried to "force feed" b4? u nvr know, maybe your baby just testing water? force feed dont mean u stuff the food into the baby mouth by force lehs.

bdaygrl

actually it doesnt matter how old your baby is the start off on a straw.
pin could drink from a straw arnd 1yo or so. IMO, either you let your child go hungry or you force feed. either way, some ppl r gg to say its "cruel". but i just feel that, some kids, the more you relent, the more they refuse n take advantage.
have you tried to "force feed" before? you never know, maybe your baby just testing water? force feed dont mean you stuff the food into the baby mouth by force lehs.
Hmm thanks maybe I should let her try a straw! Will get one today. Hopefully she'll get more water in if she can learn to use it.

sigh.. i've tried force-feeding her by syringing milk in her mouth (as advised by another pd) but that was so painful to do and almost nothing went in. i've also tried "force-feeding" by withholding food, but she'd drink only a bit of milk just to take the edge off her hunger and refuse the rest. but i knew she was still hungry. after awhile heartache so i gave some food and she ate so much. ahh!!

annie

Ting o wats your defination of force feeding then? my force feeding means to stuff food into her mouth even if it means she is crying n screaming away lol. or else i 'cheat feed' hehe.

BTW, my girl started drinking from straw slightly before 8mths.. so its never too young to start bdaygrl

milk pudding.. there is alot of recipes online. u can make milk pudding with fruits too. one simple milk pudding recipe is here Milk Pudding Recipe - How To Make Milk Pudding

however, because your bb is not yet 1yr old, pls eliminate eggs from the recipe. u can simply use only the yolk or totally omit it. im not too sure if your bb this young can take gelatin or not. maybe u can read up more on gelatin. the simplest form of milk pudding ingredient is only milk n gelatin powder.(just dissolve some gelatin powder in boiling water and add to a saucepan of boiling milk and switch off flame. pour into cups and refrigerate immediately. it can be eaten once its harden. might need to take sometime thus its better if u do the night before) also, u might want to omit sugar for her too since she is still young..

u can use the same way to make fruit/veg pudding too.

bdaygrl

Ting o wats your defination of force feeding then? my force feeding means to stuff food into her mouth even if it means she is crying n screaming away lol. or else i 'cheat feed' hehe.

BTW, my girl started drinking from straw slightly before 8mths.. so its never too young to start bdaygrl

milk pudding.. there is alot of recipes online. you can make milk pudding with fruits too. one simple milk pudding recipe is here Milk Pudding Recipe - How To Make Milk Pudding

however, because your baby is not yet 1yr old, pls eliminate eggs from the recipe. you can simply use only the yolk or totally omit it. im not too sure if your baby this young can take gelatin or not. maybe you can read up more on gelatin. the simplest form of milk pudding ingredient is only milk n gelatin powder.(just dissolve some gelatin powder in boiling water and add to a saucepan of boiling milk and switch off flame. pour into cups and refrigerate immediately. it can be eaten once its harden. might need to take sometime thus its better if you do the night before) also, you might want to omit sugar for her too since she is still young..

you can use the same way to make fruit/veg pudding too.
Thanks annie, im getting excited about the straw. haha!
I looked up gelatin and found this: "It is derived from collagen found in the bones, cartilage, connective tissue, and skin of animals, traditionally cows. Most commercially produced gelatin nowadays is produced from pig skin." is that safe for babies?

apollo

meiteoh > when was your baby able to drink from a straw? my baby's only 8 months old
TANZHENZHI > i think my baby is quite determined. if i dont't give her food she just won't eat, and maybe if she's really starving she'll drink a little milk (won't finish the bottle), but then won't she lose weight? i'll feel so bad...
ds started using straw at nearly 9mths iirc... but i do noe some babies started as early at 6-7 mths.

since u said ur baby is determined, then as a parent i think u shd be MORE determined than her. JMHO, if i were u, i will choose the 'cruel' way, i will cut off ALL her solid food since she is only 8mth old and give her MILK MILK MILK!!! when she hungry, she bo bian has to drink..

meiteoh

Re straw, Eva started around 7.5 mths coz she was chewing on the sippy more than drinking from it. She's now drinking from open cups as well but not very good at least - cannot hold coz it'll tip and spill but otherwise, it doesn't dribble out more than before.

Re sour foods, IMHO, best way to tackle sour stuff is to start your kids young with sourish foods. There is nothing wrong with eating sour stuff like yogurt, and even half-riped fruits like peaches, plums, etc. Eva's first fruits were peaches and plums, and her first exposure to dairy (at 6.5 mths) was yogurt. She LOVES them to bits.

One of the reasons why we have a tough time getting children to like sour stuff is because we condition them to like sweet stuff, which is not good in the long run. You'll find it harder for your kids to eat veg and non-sweet foods when they are older.

Re milk intake, it's normal for babies to drop their milk intake as they get older - more distractions and more flavours (from solids). What you can do is add dairy to their diet by masking it. Since your daughter is 8 mths old, she can start taking some finger food so you can offer her things like pancakes, muffins and so forth. Can she take egg yolks? If she can, you can make cheesy omelette and so forth. Don't necessarily have to just add milk powder to cereals and purees. Can even make thick veg soups with some formula/cream.

ANYWAY, sometimes you'll encounter super unripe fruits which are sour and one way to get rid of MOST of it (not all) is to serve it with very ripe fruits that are naturally sweet like melon, mango, banana. Hope this helps!

Ting

milk pudding.. there is alot of recipes online. you can make milk pudding with fruits too. one simple milk pudding recipe is here Milk Pudding Recipe - How To Make Milk Pudding

however, because your baby is not yet 1yr old, pls eliminate eggs from the recipe. you can simply use only the yolk or totally omit it. im not too sure if your baby this young can take gelatin or not. maybe you can read up more on gelatin. the simplest form of milk pudding ingredient is only milk n gelatin powder.(just dissolve some gelatin powder in boiling water and add to a saucepan of boiling milk and switch off flame. pour into cups and refrigerate immediately. it can be eaten once its harden. might need to take sometime thus its better if you do the night before) also, you might want to omit sugar for her too since she is still young..

you can use the same way to make fruit/veg pudding too.
no annie, my way of force feed is not to stuff food in even when she is crying n screaming.
i force feed by just keep giving, not physically stuff into their mouths.
cos i worry abt choking while they r crying n screaming..
i think it will just traumatise the child.
if pin is not unwell but she just doesnt wanna eat (distracted or wat) i will make sure to put her on her chair n make her finish. i will just feed n feed til she finishes. if she's left with 2-3 mouths i will just let her off.
if she cries, i let her stop n cool down b4 i continue if not she will end up vomiting n feeling worst.
if she really doesnt wanna eat then i offer alternatives like bread or milk.

Mummy to Baby V

Before 1 year old, either breastmilk or formula milk is still an important source of nutrients for babies. Even after 1 year old, the transition to other dairy alternatives need to be done gradually and carefully. I am weaning my 16-month old boy off breastmilk and have written an article after exploring the various alternatives: Which Milk is Better? (Part 1).

If her milk intake is very low, do seek the paed's advice on a suitable infant multi-vitamin drop to ensure sufficient nutrients.

You may also try adding milk into porridge, and offer plain yoghurt too. Yoghurt is a little sourish and does not have the usual milk taste. Try adding a little soft fruits such as peach and pear for a bit of sweetness. All the best! :)

annie

lol apollo, thats one of the way if u are 'able' to do it. some parents are just unable to do tat. soft hearted lol.

bdaygrl, precisely im not sure too if your bb this young can take gelatin or not. ive read on other sites that bb at 10mths old can take gelatin safely. 8mths im not too sure... better look up more online.. if not, try steam milk custard?

apollo

lol apollo, thats one of the way if you are 'able' to do it. some parents are just unable to do that. soft hearted lol.

bdaygrl, precisely im not sure too if your baby this young can take gelatin or not. ive read on other sites that baby at 10mths old can take gelatin safely. 8mths im not too sure... better look up more online.. if not, try steam milk custard?
if the parent is 'unable' to, den no choice alrdy, right?

anw, same as Ting, i wont force food or milk into ds's mouth. but if he dun finish (at least half of what he shd eat), sry no snacks (to me, it includes all biscuits, fruits, yohgurt) at all until the next meal/milk feed.

i agree the alternatives is to add milk into their food, but if the child really hates milk so much, by adding milk into their food, will it 'push' them to even reject solid food in future?

Ting

annie, i hv to agree with apollo.
if u cut off the solids, n just offer milk, baby will just drink when they r hungry.
same as adults, no matter how picky u r, if u r freaking starving n the only food in front of u is the one u hate, u will still eat it up right?

anyway, i feel that just do what u THINK is best for your child lorr..
cruel or soft hearted- its just from different perspective.
i rather be not soft hearted n make sure my kid doesnt get picky n eats whatever i give her, rather than everything dun wan and she just want to eat what she wants.