Weaning off Formula Milk?

newmum80

What was baby's 1st food? Baby experts usually recommend starting off with veg purees cos they are not sweet like fruit.

At this pt, I can only adv you to continue offering those food that are not so sweet. Probably you can mix the foods together (provided you've prev intro the food and he has no allergic reactions to them individually) and let him try - a sweet + a not so sweet, in differing proportions to let him get used to the food?
haha.. i ever mixed broccoli + brown rice cereal = almost puke look. Today i try feeding him fresh blueberry, i took away the skin & he likes it. :) Thn i tried feeding him persimmon, he also like it and will come over and open his mouth.. the joy of seeing him asking for more is priceless!! However, after a few mouthful, he dun wan anymore. if dun give him sweet food, wat other food to intro? ever gave him promfet fish n he quite enjoy it. the thing is he doesnt eat alot, he prob jus eat as snack? milk still his main source.. he is coming to 9mths.

bdaygrl

meiteoh > thanks for the suggestions of dairy recipes! i gave baby some cheese on bread today and she enjoyed it. i think the cheese was too salty though. she doesn't get how the straw works and i don't know how to teach her... she just chewed on the straw and got frustrated because i think she knew there was water in the bottle... any tips?

mummy to baby very > thanks so much for sharing the article and your suggestion of multivites! i was actually wondering if there's such a thing as solid formula supplements like in a biscuit form, but didn't think of vitamins! hehe. im not sure if pds will prescribe that to babies under 1 year old though? do you know? am thinking of taking her to see another pd to get the vits if that will help!

candy_ian

I started my son with the straw when he was almost 7 months he initially bite on the straw but after abt a wk or so he could actually drink from it so I guess it's a natural thing that they learn... So just keep trying..

annie

i just show my girl how to suck by sucking the air strongly n she got it instantly.

ting, yes wat apollo say is right. i agree totally too. i jsut meant though its right, its not easy for all parents to do tat.

Mummy to Baby V

meiteoh > thanks for the suggestions of dairy recipes! i gave baby some cheese on bread today and she enjoyed it. i think the cheese was too salty though. she doesn't get how the straw works and i dont't know how to teach her... she just chewed on the straw and got frustrated because i think she knew there was water in the bottle... any tips?

mummy to baby very > thanks so much for sharing the article and your suggestion of multivites! i was actually wondering if there's such a thing as solid formula supplements like in a biscuit form, but didn't think of vitamins! hehe. im not sure if pds will prescribe that to babies under 1 year old though? do you know? am thinking of taking her to see another pediatrician to get the vits if that will help!
If your baby is at risk of malnutrition, your paed should be able to suggest an appropriate supplement. Infant vitamin drops are commonly heard of in the Western countries. If you find a good multivitamin, please share the name as I am still on the lookout for an even better one. :)

Btw, our home-visit nurse said multivit needs to be introduced gradually so that the baby gets used to it. Also to check for fever reaction. So I offered my boy 1 dose for the first week; then gradually add 1 dose a week. Fortunately no fever so far.

bdaygrl

If your baby is at risk of malnutrition, your paed should be able to suggest an appropriate supplement. Infant vitamin drops are commonly heard of in the Western countries. If you find a good multivitamin, please share the name as I am still on the lookout for an even better one. :)

Btw, our home-visit nurse said multivit needs to be introduced gradually so that the baby gets used to it. Also to check for fever reaction. So I offered my boy 1 dose for the first week; then gradually add 1 dose a week. Fortunately no fever so far.
Hi Mummy to Baby very,
I called the pd and was prescribed Appeton multivites. But pd thinks it's not necessary unless baby is underweight and doesn't eat much. My baby eats a lot, but maybe not enough variety, so I don't know if multivites are still advisable? Which brand of multivites is your boy on?

Mummy to Baby V

Hi Mummy to Baby very,
I called the pediatrician and was prescribed Appeton multivites. But pediatrician thinks it's not necessary unless baby is underweight and doesn't eat much. My baby eats a lot, but maybe not enough variety, so I dont't know if multivites are still advisable? Which brand of multivites is your boy on?
He is on Nature's Plus, Source of Life Animal Parade Liquid. I showed the label to our home-visit nurse and she said it is fine. My boy is eats a lot and is chubby and healthy. However, our nurse said that drinking fresh milk (which has no added supplement unlike formula milk) may cause malnutrition in some areas. It is tough to get the full range of vitamins and minerals from food alone, especially when we are vegetarians (exception: eat fish several times a week), so a multi-vitamin is a good health backup.

(I also take multi-vitamin, calcium & DHA supplement regularly since turning vegetarian two years ago, as advised by my obgyn during pregnancy.)