What food should I offer to my 8mths bb???

sunburst

Silver fish is the small whiter looking ones. You can also use ikan bills but you have to be more careful to blend the bones till very fine.

Wolfberries are good but not too often as it causes water retention. Washed, then chop finely before adding in to the porridge to cook. If bb is fine with chewing then you don't have to chop the

Shane

Silver fish is the small whiter looking ones. You can also use ikan bills but you have to be more careful to blend the bones till very fine.

Wolfberries are good but not too often as it causes water retention. Washed, then chop finely before adding in to the porridge to cook. If baby is fine with chewing then you dont't have to chop the
Roughly how many spoonful of ikan bilis we have to add in to avoid the porridge turning too salty or too blend???
I cooked dried scallop porridge and added abt 20 scallop in the porridge, making the porridge really tasty but notice it to be too salty for bb to consume. :we2Randy-git:

My bb still cant chew, I can throw in the wolfberries to cook with the porridge and serve plain porridge after done. Can I do it this way???

apollo

Roughly how many spoonful of ikan bilis we have to add in to avoid the porridge turning too salty or too blend???
I cooked dried scallop porridge and added about 20 scallop in the porridge, making the porridge really tasty but notice it to be too salty for baby to consume. :we2Randy-git:

My baby still cant chew, I can throw in the wolfberries to cook with the porridge and serve plain porridge after done. Can I do it this way???
20 scallops???????!!!!!! hello, tt's ALOT!!!!! even for adults, is still ALOT!!!!!!! usually when my mum cook porridge for my dad, she uses those small scallops and she only throws in 5-6 pieces and my dad alrdy commented tt he does not nd to add anymore seasoning.

Shane

Yesssss!!! At first I am worried if the porridge is too blend bb might not like it..didnt know 20 scallop will cause the porridge so salty..but i hv tasted and to me it is blend. Guess I can tk salt well.
I hv learnt my mistake and will not add so much next time round.
Oh Dear~ I can recall bb still ate like 1 bowl full.

apollo

Yesssss!!! At first I am worried if the porridge is too blend baby might not like it..didnt know 20 scallop will cause the porridge so salty..but i have tasted and to me it is blend. Guess I can tk salt well.
I have learnt my mistake and will not add so much next time round.
Oh Dear~ I can recall baby still ate like 1 bowl full.
do u really think tt a baby really nd seasoning? really nd the food to taste salty? they nv try salty food b4, so whatever u give, they will accept. but if u start to add seasoning at such young age, next time she might wants something more salty.

to adults, cos we have eat too much outside food with lotsa seasoning lik salt and MSG. tt's y we kind of 'immune' to the taste alrdy and we rely on seasoning to make the food taste good.

meiteoh

Agreed with apollo.

ALL foods have their natural flavours and it's important for us as parents to instill good eating habits in our children. When starting solids for babies, do not give anything with added sugar and salt together with flavourings like vanilla/strawberry/chocolate - foods with naturally occuring sugars and salt (except salted items) are fine like fruits, and fatty fish (tuna/salmon/etc) (all meat have naturally occuring sodium). Unfortunately this includes a lot of toddler formulas like Pediasure (which have sugar listed as the 2nd item - which means that sugar is the 2nd highest component in 1 can), milo, Bovril/marmite/vegemite, Nestle cereals. Babies' tastebuds are more sensitive than ours so to us it may be bland but it can be very flavourful to them.

I know of a few friends who introduced items with added sugar/salt in them only to have their kids reject everything else. Sadly the practice here is to look at quantity of the food our children eat rather than the quality. I'd rather Eva eat many times a day in small quantaties of healthy food like non-salted meals, fresh fruit, no-added flavoured/salt/sugar snacks than her stuffing herself full of bowls of salted or sugary items.

Shane

do you really think that a baby really need seasoning? really need the food to taste salty? they never try salty food before, so whatever you give, they will accept. but if you start to add seasoning at such young age, next time she might wants something more salty.

to adults, cos we have eat too much outside food with lotsa seasoning lik salt and MSG. that's y we kind of 'immune' to the taste alrdy and we rely on seasoning to make the food taste good.
Okay.. Will learn n prepare dishes that are light and suitable for bb..
Will save the rest of scallop for the adults then. I bought like quite alot. As I cant really gauge hw much qty to add in.
Feel there are so much stuffs to learn on preparing food for bb..
Thanks I hv mummysg.com to solve my question and get help from. Thanks Apollo & meitoeh & other mums for your great advice.
Didnt u guys have to sleep at this hr??? (Just wondering) HaHa

Shane

Do you know any good brand containers good for storing HOT stuffs? I can prepare porridge and store them in contrainer when I go out and serve them hot to my bb.

apollo

Do you know any good brand containers good for storing HOT stuffs? I can prepare porridge and store them in contrainer when I go out and serve them hot to my baby.
u mean thermal food jar? there are quite a few brand outside. u can go to OG or Metro to take a look. the price varies. for brand like Endo, is cheaper. most mummies prefer Tiger and Zojirushi but i personally prefer Thermo brand as the food jar is smaller, much more handy to bring out =)

Shane

u mean thermal food jar? there are quite a few brand outside. u can go to OG or Metro to take a look. the price varies. for brand like Endo, is cheaper. most mummies prefer Tiger and Zojirushi but i personally prefer Thermo brand as the food jar is smaller, much more handy to bring out =)
My friend recommend me to try the Tiger Brand, I bought a Flask and was quite good. Thanks for the suggestions! I will compare when I make a trip down somedays. ;)

AugBoyz

my monster's porridge are all blend or natural "seasoned" till he is 2yrs+ I use alot of carrots. pumpkins, tomato, ikan bilis (just a small amount, i use fingers to pinch n watever small amount i get i will throw into the porridge), 2-3 scallops, broccoli, potato and white onions for flavour.

Babies n kids are ok with bland food, just tt we adults think bland is yucky thus they will taste yucky to the kids too.

As for the wolfberries, you can cook it with the porridge then either take it out before serving the porridge or during eating, it does not affect the baby too much if she accidentally swallow 2-3 wolfberries.

How come you serve plain porridge? Can add in some of the food that either me or the other mummies suggested. Just make sure u boil it till its soft but i would prefer steaming as its faster n it wun cause the nutrients to be lost.

I am using Tiger food jar, got it real cheap at Isetan sale 3yrs ago, now i am using it to pack lunch to work :)

Shane

my monster's porridge are all blend or natural "seasoned" till he is 2yrs+ I use alot of carrots. pumpkins, tomato, ikan bilis (just a small amount, i use fingers to pinch n watever small amount i get i will throw into the porridge), 2-3 scallops, broccoli, potato and white onions for flavour.

Babies n kids are ok with bland food, just tt we adults think bland is yucky thus they will taste yucky to the kids too.

As for the wolfberries, you can cook it with the porridge then either take it out before serving the porridge or during eating, it does not affect the baby too much if she accidentally swallow 2-3 wolfberries.

How come you serve plain porridge? Can add in some of the food that either me or the other mummies suggested. Just make sure u boil it till its soft but i would prefer steaming as its faster n it wun cause the nutrients to be lost.

I am using Tiger food jar, got it real cheap at Isetan sale 3yrs ago, now i am using it to pack lunch to work :)
I always tried the food first before putting it into my bb mouth. I want to know how it taste first. Even her milk powder, medicine, porridge.. all I tried.
I agreed I have cooked the porridge too salty, added too many scallop.
Will give her blend & light food as possible. She can eat one small bowl of porridge.
I have visited and browse the net for receipe. This weekend I will cook pumpkin & carrot porridge for her! =)
I think I will have difficulties cutting the pumpkin skin.. cos its very hard!!! Any special technic for cutting that?
Oh btw, Can bb tk egg now? My bb is 8mths now. I ask afew mum, some says can some say wait till 1yr. *Confused*

AugBoyz

Egg yolks are ok, egg whites must be over 1yr old for fear of allergic reaction. Read here for details.

Its good to taste the food before serving it to your baby lest its too hot or too salty (in this case, u over look on this :) )

I also have to fight with the pumpkin skin... imagine i use chopper to chop the skin out in chunks taking great care not to chop the meat away :tlaugh: After tt I will use a small knife to cut away those small areas of skin. U can imagine how tired my arms will be after that LOL

sunburst

Erm depends in how much porridge u cooking, then u adjust the amount of silver fish/ikan billis to add. But for me porridge serving 1 bowl for lunch & 1 bowl for dinner, I add 1 heap teaspoon of powdered silver fish. You should add already then taste it, if need be then add a little more.

20 scallops is a lot!!! Even for small ones it is still too much... Can cook a whole pot of soup for a family of 5! To not waste the scallops, use the scallops & meat to boil stock (prepare enough stock for a week use), then chopped the meat & scallop stir fry with a bit of 5 spices & soya sauce + dash of pepper. This makes a meat dish for the adults.

As for the wolfberries, if she can't chew you can just chop then before adding to the porridge so she can eat it... Added fibre for her meals.

sunburst

Egg yolks are ok, egg whites must be over 1yr old for fear of allergic reaction. Read here for details.

Its good to taste the food before serving it to your baby lest its too hot or too salty (in this case, you over look on this :) )

I also have to fight with the pumpkin skin... imagine i use chopper to chop the skin out in chunks taking great care not to chop the meat away :tlaugh: After that I will use a small knife to cut away those small areas of skin. you can imagine how tired my arms will be after that LOL
I can understand how you feel, I hate cutting pumpkin too! Hehe so I usually get DH to do all the cutting for pumpkin.

duckiemom

dear son started semi solid at 5.5mths. and was only on 1 meal cereal per day. nth else. at 6mth old i intro him porridge, pumpkin, carrot, and threadfin. actually for threadfin fish, not reco to give at 6mth old, cos is consider seafood.

nowadays cant seems to find Heinz plain cereal around SG. you may try Healthy Times or Happybellies.
Thanks Apollo mommy :Dancing_wub:
ya, Belle is almost 5.5mths so i also would like to start her on some semi-solids.
So u fed your son 1 meal cereal, which cereal did you feed him then?
I only plan to give her fish & meat later on, not so soon. Will experiment with fruits
and veg 1st, i love them so i hope my Belle will love them too :tlaugh:
Maybe i will try Healthy Times, any feed back about this cereal?
Any mommies out there using this brand??

AugBoyz

I can understand how you feel, I hate cutting pumpkin too! Hehe so I usually get dear husband to do all the cutting for pumpkin.
DH not ard to help ley :( so have to wrestle with the pumpkin.
alternatively use buttersquash? Shld be ok for babies to eat right?

Shane

Its good to taste the food before serving it to your baby lest its too hot or too salty (in this case, u over look on this :) )

I also have to fight with the pumpkin skin... imagine i use chopper to chop the skin out in chunks taking great care not to chop the meat away :tlaugh: After tt I will use a small knife to cut away those small areas of skin. U can imagine how tired my arms will be after that LOL
Good~~~ I ask that qns cos I am tempted in the receipe "EGG Yolk + Tofu Porridge". :) So I can prepare that the following week. Thanks!

HAHAHA! Oh no~ where can I buy pumpkin that has skin already remove?
I worried by the time I finish chopping off the skin, the remaining pumpkin left the shape of my fist. -.-|||

Shane

DH not ard to help ley :( so have to wrestle with the pumpkin.
alternatively use buttersquash? Shld be ok for babies to eat right?
Buttersquash? Didnt know what this is..
It has good nutrient for bb?
Also Zucchini.. i have seen lots of receipe with this thing like cucumber.
How to cook with porridge?

AugBoyz

I dun think there are "de-skinned" pumpkin sold anywhere :p

Try broccoli porridge, one of my monster's favourite. u cut the stems into small pieces throw in to cook first then the flower part later. Throw in some wolfberries too if u want. serve only the flower but mashing them.