what kind of class is good for a 3.5 yr old boy?

jessielim72

i am thinking of signing up my boy (3.5 yo) on some kind of class (be it music, art or sports), just want to him to do something and learn something but find is difficult to find a suitable one.

Music - most schools are rather serious in their teaching and don't think my boy can stay put for more than 15 mins

Sports - he is too young, most only starts when kids is 4yo and up

Art - my boy scare of getting his hands dirty....

anyone has any suggestions?​

stonston

i am thinking of signing up my boy (3.5 yo) on some kind of class (be it music, art or sports), just want to him to do something and learn something but find is difficult to find a suitable one.​

Music - most schools are rather serious in their teaching and dont't think my boy can stay put for more than 15 mins​

Sports - he is too young, most only starts when kids is 4yo and up​

Art - my boy scare of getting his hands dirty....​

anyone has any suggestions?​
Have you tired music appreciation classes? For 3.5yo, if you are looking for fun & engaging lessons, you should look for music appreciation classes. Many places offer it. Kindermusik, Juzmusic, Yamaha, Mandeville, etc.

If you want, you can combine sports & music. Sign up for creative dance movement classes. They teach some simple music appreciation & dance. It's quite fun but the class timing clashes with my boy's nap times, else I'll enrol him.

Who says who must get dirty in art? My boy loves to paint, so he's very careful not to get any paint on his hands. They wear aprons so it's quite alright. But I personally feel that there's no point in going for art classes unless you intend to enrol your child in NAFA or SOTA. You can just buy the materials at home and explore art together. If he's an art genius, he won't need classes to show that he's a genius :)

There are tonnes of enrichment classes out there for 3.5yo. You should try searching other forums. MummySG has very limited discussions on this. I even have ppl who PM me to label me 'crazy' & 'kiasu' when they read that I send my 2.5yo boy to so many classes (actually, it's really not alot, it's only 3 classes at the moment, will increase to 5 next yr). Do your research well so that it'll be money well-spent :)

Ting

how abt dance classes? he might enjoy.

u can try this place call boogie bug. its music n dance n i think your son might enjoy it.
i think they hv free trial classes.
n its not very exp. 25 bucks each session of 1 hr but min need 10 sessions.

jessielim72

hello all, thanks for your advice.

my son's talent - at age 3.5 he is able to recite line by line (tho sometimes not very accurately) spongebob squarepants dialogue without batting an eyelid and yet he can't really speak proper full sentences yet. He also likes to sing, not so much dancing...

he likes to play with his toy cars and he is eating machine.

so? music lessons is more apt? or should I send him to classes that requires more physical effort to make him more manly?

stonston

As a parent, you need to justify your child's 'learning objectives'. Look for courses that fulfill those objectives & fits your budget, go ahead! Of cos after attending must make sure your boy enjoys the lessons :)

For me I choose to focus to the following areas: phonics (to build up basics for reading, very impt in school), chinese (to build interest plus give him exposure), swimming (life skill), dance (his interest & he can dance very well).

Music will come in later when he can pick an instrument (this will replace his dance class). Speech & drama (in mandarin) will also come in later when he starts nursery cos currently at CC & I don't want his days to be too packed.