When did yr baby start talking?

pkshl

hi mummies, when did yr baby start talking? my son will always scream when he sees us. i feel that he wants to talk to us? i always talk to him, teach him words, teach him to call mummy daddy , so im wondering when will he start talking?

Ting

9 mths still very young worr..
actually i cant rmb when pin started talking but i think shld be arnd this age too.
but diff kids reach their milestones at diff stages. so cant rush.
only way is to encourage him to speak more.

Phoebii Cheng

My son started babbling around 10mths, but really started to talk one word at a time was after 1yrs old, he could say simple word like mama, dad, mine, no more, more etc....

But nowadays, he speaks more words like trying to form sentences like daddy let go, its mine........hehe so cute

Phoebii Cheng

But, it's good that when he screams you correct him by saying the correct word to him, so that he can learn & connect the word with objects, like when he screams when he sees you, you tell him and point to yourself mama or mummy....

jojoki

Hi pkshl,

My daughter first mumbled mama papa at 5 months indiscriminately. Mama discriminately at 7 mths, papa at 8 mths... can also say some words like bible, baby, ball,,, at 12 mths now she can say around 20 words. Mama papa, yiyi, gorgor, jeje, kak kak, ball baby bible bubble book, duck, bugs, etc.. noticed she picks up words that have the "b" sounds easliy.

But boys generally are late talkers.. i would say around 18-24 mths? but meanwhile am sure they have their ways of calling for u. babies are so intelligent!

Phoebii Cheng

I also heard of what jojoki said that boys talk later than girls....there is one girl tt is 2mths younger than my son, she walks faster than my son, she know how to walk before 1yrs old my son started walking at 14mths....but believe that your keith can do it

apollo

i think 9mths old is still v young to learn talking.

ds will make the "papapapa" sound but i doubt he is calling his daddy, but one of his baby langauge only.. but he will say "baobaobaobao" and raise up his hands when he want us to carry him, but sometimes only lahh...

babe, dun be too anxious, let keith develop on his own pace, cos he is still v young now =)

jassmine

OMG My girl was 14mth soon, yet she can't speak simple word like baba n mama, only when she cry she will start screaming words sound mama.. All now she still talk like a baby way... Anyway to teach her to speak.. I talk to her and let her watch edu video everyday

ping26

hee, my girl started babbling mamama ard 7-8 mth. Her first word is ball at ard 9 mth. Now she can speak abt 10 words like book, ball, bird consistently. She also has unusually difficult words like fish, shoe, clock and ah-ma. For some reason, she says "gou" when she sees dogs. We have some gestures/signs too.

She'll turn 11 mth in a few days' time. Currently, there seems to be a growth spurt. She's picking up many sounds & trying to approximate words/sounds but is not consistent yet. I haven't made a vocab list cos not enough time w her.

She enjoys listening to herself & is very eager to talk :)

Most toddlers speak single words at ard 15-18 mth. Usu they take another 6 mth (add or subtract 3 mth) before speaking in 2-word phrases.

Receptive language usu comes before expressive language. eg My baby could understand simple sentences before she started talking. She could point, crawl or look at object when asked. (Where is ball?)

I guess /b/ sound came about cos she loves blowing raspberries. /m/ and /p/ sounds are usu 1st sounds.

I couldn't resist some baby talk like pom-pom, mum-mum & zou-zou. I try to speak to her in short sentences (3-5 words). Generally I do not mix Chinese and English (oops, english-dialect). I'm very particular abt grammar or word order which are language-specific. I didn't teach baby signs or show any signing DVD. Main focus was on communicative intent, therefore she doesn't watch TV at home. But she watches TV at my mum (3-4x/wk) and in-laws (1x/mth) :001_07:.

CJmom

pkshl, have you ever tried letting your son learn signing? It allows them to express themselves before they learn how to talk. This way he can express how he feels and you can also know what he wants. I strongly feel that signing has helped my boy to talk at a very young age. I started letting him learn signs as early as 4months? But not to worry, it is never too late to start. When he's about 10months, he could sign some basic necessities in life like milk, sleep, diaper wet, bathe, cat, dog, eat, drink, open, close, and even say some of them though not accurate but we could still make out what he's trying to say. When he's 18 months, gosh his vocab grew astonishingly. Now he just turned 2 yrs and very vocal; can argue with us in sentences!!!!...hee hee... even negotiate terms siah!??!! Phonics not 100% accurate but heck we are not pressuring him but let him pick up at his pace. We just correct him now and then. Can sing most nursery songs with at least 80% accuracy on the lyrics after hearing couple of times, knows a-z, counting things physically, even at times "scold" us when we do something wrong or he doesn't like it. So haha is it good that they start to talk early??

pkshl

pkshl, have you ever tried letting your son learn signing? It allows them to express themselves before they learn how to talk. This way he can express how he feels and you can also know what he wants. I strongly feel that signing has helped my boy to talk at a very young age. I started letting him learn signs as early as 4months? But not to worry, it is never too late to start. When he's about 10months, he could sign some basic necessities in life like milk, sleep, diaper wet, bathe, cat, dog, eat, drink, open, close, and even say some of them though not accurate but we could still make out what he's trying to say. When he's 18 months, gosh his vocab grew astonishingly. Now he just turned 2 yrs and very vocal; can argue with us in sentences!!!!...hee hee... even negotiate terms siah!??!! Phonics not 100% accurate but heck we are not pressuring him but let him pick up at his pace. We just correct him now and then. Can sing most nursery songs with at least 80% accuracy on the lyrics after hearing couple of times, knows a-z, counting things physically, even at times "scold" us when we do something wrong or he doesn't like it. So haha is it good that they start to talk early??
i do sing to my son daily. i will sing different children songs but he seems to like twinkle twinkle little star cos when i sing he will laugh & get very excited. at times, it seems like he wants to talk but in his own baby language. so i will always talk to him, asked him what does he wants to tell mummy/daddy. there r even times when i spotted him 'talking' to our dog! so i will also asked him what does he wants to tell ginger?

few nights ago, i bought him a small toy bus, i placed it infront of him & tel him BUS BUS & i thought i heard him say something like "ba..ba..ba..bus.."
AMAZING! :err: now i even show him flashcards of abc,123 but he seems more interested to 'eat' the card..:embarrassed:sign..

apollo

i do sing to my son daily. i will sing different children songs but he seems to like twinkle twinkle little star cos when i sing he will laugh & get very excited. at times, it seems like he wants to talk but in his own baby language. so i will always talk to him, asked him what does he wants to tell mummy/daddy. there r even times when i spotted him 'talking' to our dog! so i will also asked him what does he wants to tell ginger?

few nights ago, i bought him a small toy bus, i placed it infront of him & tel him BUS BUS & i thought i heard him say something like "......bus.."
AMAZING! :err: now i even show him flashcards of abc,123 but he seems more interested to 'eat' the card..:embarrassed:sign..
OMG! ashton also loves twinkle twinkle! when he wanna slp, must listen, when he cranky, i also must sing to him! LOL!

wow~~ i feel tt i'm a lazy mummy! i've yet to start anything lik flashcards.. :001_302:

apollo

hmm mayb u can start teaching him 'papa/daddy, mama/mummy" 1st instead of bus and toher things? let him noe and learn hw to address ppl 1st? oh ya, teach him hw to say 'baobao'! we did tt, force ashton to say baobao if not we dun carry him. but he only say tt once in awhile! :tlaugh:

pkshl

hmm mayb you can start teaching him 'papa/daddy, mama/mummy" 1st instead of bus and toher things? let him know and learn hw to address ppl 1st? oh ya, teach him hw to say 'baobao'! we did that, force ashton to say baobao if not we dont carry him. but he only say that once in awhile! :tlaugh:
i did. everyday i teach him to call mummy /papa but takes times i guess...:embarrassed:

Mama Ilhan

Hi Mothers,
My son, now 7 months is blabbering most of the time and keeps saying "papapapapa.." and when's crying and looking for me for comfort he will say "mmmm...aa....mmmmm..aa..." Im not sure if he's trying to say "mama" but it becomes a routine now when he wants me.

Recently i taught him to say "bear" and he just followed "bear", which i didnt expect him to. .i know he's trying to follow and he's just making sounds .

Ilhan is in Kindermusik and they taught some sign language too which is good for early learning. And yes i sing to him everyday without fail :)

pink_laydee85

My son learning to talk quite late..Only last year he can fully talk in sentences..I was wondering why he still talk in baby talk even though i already teach him e right way..Found out he had tonsislits..That;s why it affects his speech..Last year he went for surgery to shave it..After 2 weeks his surgery, he already talk..A to z etc..He already know how to say mummy when he was 3 years old..

Now he is in K1..So talkative right now..Now he can be able to sing :)

dimension

gosh my kid's 18 months end of this week and i can count the words she say in one hand! up, mama, papa, nan nan (milk), yeye (grandfather). at what age should i start to bring her to see a doc? (don't tell me now! :err:)

jasobias

gosh my kid's 18 months end of this week and i can count the words she say in one hand! up, mama, papa, nan nan (milk), yeye (grandfather). at what age should i start to bring her to see a doc? (dont't tell me now! :err:
i think the cut off is abt 2 yrs old.Just be patient.some kids just take longer but eventually they will all get there.

apollo

gosh my kid's 18 months end of this week and i can count the words she say in one hand! up, mama, papa, nan nan (milk), yeye (grandfather). at what age should i start to bring her to see a doc? (dont't tell me now! :err:)
from the kids i came across, most of them started toking at 2.5 yo, or rather, they started simple words also at 2.5 yo.. my nephew, my mum's fren's kid, my fren's son... only my another 2 nephew started toking simple words n short sentences at ard 2yo.. think mayb u can observe till she is 2yo? cos my fren also observed till her son was ard 2yo and she brought him to KK for speech therapy.. =)

shiyi

my bb very funny.. nowadays when she burp too loud she will gimme those 傻笑.. like very paiseh cos burp too loud haha