When is the right time to start reading story book to our little ones ?

CynCyn

As above .
I've got a 7months plus son , is it o.k to start reading storybooks to him or sing nursery rhymes ?

cendrine

I started buying board books when Zann turns 8 mths old.

Everyday will make it a habit to read to her since then.
Kids love colourful pictures, esp those w flaps, for them to explore.

jedamum

i just started with my 8mth old. read the same old book cos realised he is really interested in only my voice. he also prefers to chew the book too. :p

Agnes Josephine

think some say before can start as early as 3 months & when you read stories to them, make sure when you read your tone must have high & low pitch (something like that)... cuz if you read to him in the same tone thru'out, he won't kinda learn anything...

jmho...

cendrine

think some say before can start as early as 3 months & when you read stories to them, make sure when you read your tone must have high & low pitch (something like that)... cuz if you read to him in the same tone thru'out, he won't kinda learn anything...

jmho...
taking care of zann has also turned my voice high pitched liao...:tlaugh:

mamasweety

Started when he abt 6mths old and bought all those hard-storybooks...
I always started with colours (those with pics)

I started to read when she was ard 4 or 5 months. Board books, cloth books and her sister's books. Or more like I get her sis to read to her.

But dd#2 at 7.5 months, would not sit still to let me read to her, she would not look at the pixs either. A bit frustrating ... but I just continue to read.

Just continue to read....

That is all I can say...cos with her sister, I also did the same thing.

I read, she crawled, she ate her toys... I just read.

CynCyn

That's great . I'm alrdy starting to sing nursery rhymes and ready story books to my lil one . And he seems to be amaze or perhaps he's curious , whenever I read to him . Always with the curious and blank expression and whenever I sing he will laugh .

stonston

my boi enjoys bible stories....my maid will read to him everyday....
i have been reading to him since he was a little bean size fetus in me :)

tink is a good habit to cultivate....age does not matter....it is e bonding for parents n children....when older then it is for their knowledge :)

N I tink the best time is to read to ur bb in the morning jux after breakfast, it is the time when they r most the most fresh n yet not so noti state. Coz for my DD, this is the only time she can sit still for 10 to 15 min n listen to my stories.. But my maid lets her listen to nursery rhymes everyday in the afternnon afetr her nap.. By the way, I started singing rhymes to her the moment she was born n now, i haf to sing everynite till she falls asleep (which sometimes might take 1 to 2 hr).. Sigh.... Really not ez to be a mum..:nah:

mae

I didn't read, I make my own moral story & tell it to her. I come up with the idea i think when i was doing my walking exercise. Since im the only one walking that time, I tried talking with Alexx inside my tummy. Some people would think I am crazy. hehehehe

Carol

Cyn , I started when he was only a month old . Lol . Kiasu mum . I nothing to do just sing to him . So now Joachim loves listening to his nursery rhymes cd while sitting his rocker .
My mum even more kiasu . Bought cloth books for him , let him look at it . But he loves it cos of the bright colours .

cookie168

haha... dun worry.. my dad even tells chinese historical story to my bb when he is carrying her while i am busying preparing bb's stuff....

look who is kiasu here!haha... but really, no harm reading to bb earlier, noi matter they understand or not.. at least they got the chance to listen to our voice.. for bonding and language development

miffy_cheeks

Hi! Its never too young to start..:D If anything, if you start early, your child will actually start learning that much faster. Even if they do not understand a word that you're saying, just read or sing to them. Cookie 168 is right about it contributing to language development. It is tried, tested and proven! Definitely beats having them stare at the television screen.

aby

Wow! Mommies here are very ONZ.. I started my elder boy rather late but regularly for a while when he's ard 3+.. He can read now (he's 5+) on his own.. Din have the discipline to sit and read nowsaday..

This thread reminded me to spend quality time to read with my 2 darlings! Tks! :red:

Leanne

I started when he's inside me. LOL. V kiasu right. & i'll let him listen to Little Mozart CD too.

Now he's 2+ weeks old, im reading ABC book to him. & yes, he's still listening to Little Mozart CD. :D