Where to breastfeed when you can't find a breastfeeding room?

snowbear

When my bb was young and not so eager to see the world (>5mths), it was easy to bf in public coz i can just feed her in the sling or even not using any cover (coz i wear nursing tops), so there was no need to search for nursing rooms. But after bb became more aware of surroundings and easily distracted, i have to search for nursing rooms coz she's too easily distracted. In the event tt i can't find a nursing room, i usually find a nice clean toilet cubicle to nurse her coz she is a very efficient suckler so she's done in a few minutes. :)

Phoebii Cheng

Nowadays there are mummies room in shopping mall....but in the event there is no nursing room, then you might want to invest in a nursing cover & nursing top so that you can nurse in public, if not you hv to use the toilet.....

PinkDiamonds

Another suggestion. If you are going to eat out and if it's time for your baby to feed as well, you can ask for a corner table. Usually I will do that so that I can feed baby while waiting for food to arrive, and I don't need to use a nursing apron as nobody can see me. If there are male service staff I will just request to be served by the female staff while I am BFing.

Nowadays there are mummies room in shopping mall....but in the event there is no nursing room, then you might want to invest in a nursing cover & nursing top so that you can nurse in public, if not you have to use the toilet.....
Thanks for all the replies.. I did fed my bb in the toilet before but find it not right cos if someone in the next cubicle doing big business than it will be very disgusting and furthermore I feel that we don't eat our meals in the toilet.. That time really no choice than feed in the toilet.

Any mummies know where to get the apron? Im using the sarong but don't know how to convert it to cover up while breastfeeding

serenelm

u can get the nursing apron/shawl/poncho from most baby stores/shops, e.g. kiddy palace, mothercare, takashimaya baby dept, mums & babes etc...

nowadays i usually wear nursing tops so tat i can easily hide in a corner to bf when i can't find a nursing room or when the nursing room's taken up (there was once i saw a parent feeding her child food in the nursing room when i opened the door, she din even vacate it when she saw i wanted to bf ds3... sigh, but tat's another story altogether lah)...

anyway i wld normally try to bf when in the car (during journey to destination) so tat i dun need to bf him till a few hrs later...

babylover

If there's no nursing room avail, I will just use the nursing cover and feed her at somewhere more quiet and less people pass-by. And if there's no such good ideal places, i just feed het at foodcourt with cover(of course) where my baby can have her meal like eveyone else. ^.^

meiteoh

Anywhere with a chair. I usually carry a nappy in my diaper bag and use that as a nursing cover. Like PinkDiamonds, I too will try to BF when it's close to makan time so that it's more comfy and secluded.

If you sew, it's very easy to convert your sarong into a nursing poncho. You'll need to make a strap, sew one end to one end of your sarong cloth and then either put velcro on the other end on both the strap and sarong fabric. Voila, you have a makeshift poncho or nursing cover.

for me i'll find the nearest place to sit and just do it. i don't like nursing rooms and definitely not toilet coz it stinks. my son doesn't like his view blocked either, so no shawls or nursing aprons. i just wear a looser top usually and just lift and feed. as long as the angle is right, usually can't see anything.

7LegSotong

for me i'll find the nearest place to sit and just do it. i dont't like nursing rooms and definitely not toilet coz it stinks. my son doesn't like his view blocked either, so no shawls or nursing aprons. i just wear a looser top usually and just lift and feed. as long as the angle is right, usually can't see anything.
I agree with you. I just feed anywhere anytime... usually if you do normally, ppl don't bother. but if you act weird, they will start to stare at you.
Normally ppl only know i am feeling when i *Burp* him...

camom

Actually some nursing rms are as bad. They stink so badly, probably the dirty diapers were not cleared. I much prefer to nurse with a nursing cover or else, in the car.

cmeilim

i usu nurse my boy in the car along the way or at carpark cos my hubby fixed curtains on our car windows. or else i do research b4 to see if the mall has nursing rooms. but with practice and growing confidence and also baby's increasing efficiency at suckling, i have been able to nurse anywhere - restaurants, food court, mall resting areas/seats - freely and openly. i will usually bring along my sarong sling, or my baby's blanket or a nappy cloth as a shield. no ned to specially buy nursing apron. =>

candy_ian

for me, i'll bf b4 reaching our destination and at shopping mall i'll just bf anywhere sometimes with a blanket if it's crowded places if not just do without it at restaurants n cafes.

hearty

Just walk into any boutique with fitting rooms, shut the door and feed the baby. I did that twice, once in Pumpkin Patch with permission, once in Esprit without permission (who cares?)...I even change his diaper inside after feeding coz really can't wait anymore.

Or else invest in a breastfeeding shawl and go feed in the car

uddermummy

i bf in the car with a nursing bib. My hubby will find a secluded spot and then will just do the job quickly.

I've seen men staring, but i don't care cos they can't see anything and it's not my bb's fault if they have such dirty minds! :(