worried !

Hi all mtb i,m nw in wk 15. just went for my blood test ( e triple blood test thing) . a wk later gyane called me back for a vist. after e phone call from e clinic i started crying buckets cse i,m e emotional type so all sorts o things juz flashed through my mind n e next min hubby told me he took half day lve so we can visit e gynae asap. it turned out that i had 3 problems reflected in my blood test results.

1) glucos level too high gyane told me to cut dwn on sweet stuffs hmmm does it means i have to oso cut dwn on my fruits intake cse i eat quite a big portion of fruits but mainly apples,strawberrys n grapes. fruit juice=orange n carrot.

2) my haemogolbin reads 10.5mg so it falls below e range of 11.5mg-16.5mg so gyane ask if we have any family history of 'thalasemia' which both hubby n my families have no record of but i do have 'ping xue' n my mummy too. so gyane said i,m lack of nutrition n encourage me to take food like liver my question is do i still need to take a further blood test for thalasemia even though i,m just 1mg away?

3) which is e main issue gyane called us back is i,m under the increased risk for dwn syndrome i,m 32 this yr so e normal risk for my age grp is 1/680 but nw my ratio reads 1/200. therefore gyane gave us e option of doing e further test which both hubby n myself opt nt to as we do not want any risk hurting e bb in e process n i oso had advices from frens nt to take e test.

i cried n cried even when i was in clinic n after e visit. hubby had a hard time consolling me but i still need to know any information abt my problems from any mtbs who have any information or advice to share w me as i,m really really very worried. thk you all.................

Last edited by a moderator:

CanCanMum

*sayangs*

fruits are okay, Apples are fine also. Perhaps u can cut down to 2 servings of fruits and take more vegetables. Vegetables contain Vitamin C as well. I ate lots of tomatoes during my pregnancy. Basically i ate 6 servings of vegetables a day. Meaning 3 different types of veges per meal everyday for lunch and dinner.

as for low blood, did doctor prescribe any iron pills for you? Most pple experience this during pregnancy so u are actually not alone......

test for down syndrome is very safe. From wad i know, they extract part of the amniotic fluid to test. Last time my gynae told me its very safe but he advises me no need to take becoz i was under 30 when i was expecting my sonnie. But he said if i wan to oso can go ahead and he reassured me no need and den its also safe if i want.....

lastly, dun worry yourself out.....calm down calm down....have u talked to your gynae your worries? Sometimes listening to their advices will calm you down becoz they have so many experiences in all these issues in their previous cases......

*HuGs*

Last edited:
hi can can mum thks so much for ur reply. hmmm actully gyane did not say much abt e amino test. he juz said that @ 32 i,m still young which sounds very encouraging to me n e triple test results reflected are all stastics n figures dats all. he oso explained to me abt e amino test n he said e risk involved is 1 % which is in fact higher than e dwn syn results o 1/200 =o.5%. hubby has oso told me that he has been asking ard abt this problem n most o his frens says that its ok de. so........i,m really @ a lost. a part o me agreeds with hubby that we take things naturally n watever it happens happens for a reason but another part o me will bears the worry of e condition of the child all e way till birth you know where i,m coming from n its gona be draining during this few mths . haiz ......but my gut feeling tells me not to opt for e test @ all. mayb i,m thinking too much. gynae did prescribe e iron tablets n i have been taking it daily . next appt may have to do a further blood test for 'thalassemia' any info on that? hubby has make himself clear that he will not take any unecessary tests which will cost futher worries so he may nt even take e blood test for 'thalassemia'. sometimes i hope that i,m as decisive as hubby as i,m quite a wishy washy person n gets paranoid easily therefore any little thing will get me emotional. god i need some strength..........

CanCanMum

*HUGS*

i give u strength~~~

good tat ur hubby is supportive ~~~

las time i did all my decisions alone~~~

*hugs*

jiayou~~~

lemme noe the results...

oh sorry i dunno anything about thalassemia~~~~

snowbear

The down's syndrome test is quite safe. The question you need to ask yourself is whether if the child indeed has down's syndrome, will you keep it... If you're open to keeping the child regardless of it, then i think it's pointless to do the test.

Dun be too worried or upset. Try to be a happy mummy!!! *hugz*

snowbear i did think o dat issue b4 . hubby juz says that if its meant to be given to us by god than we will just have to accept . e question is what happen if my bb is normal but got hurt in e process got infected n worse miscarriage??? i mean eres no gurantee to anything n everything right. what if the result is indeed unfavorable by then bb w us for so long do we have the heart to abort. you know wat i mean. i guess dat is what hubby is worried abt n he knows me inside out so i guess e more tests i go thro e more i can,t take it. we even had a slight arguement over it . he is trying very hard to convince me that our bb will b ok..........so long both of us is healthy he see no reason to go thro the test.

hueychye79

snowbear i did think o dat issue b4 . hubby juz says that if its meant to be given to us by god than we will just have to accept . e question is what happen if my bb is normal but got hurt in e process got infected n worse miscarriage??? i mean eres no gurantee to anything n everything right. what if the result is indeed unfavorable by then bb w us for so long do we have the heart to abort. you know wat i mean. i guess dat is what hubby is worried abt n he knows me inside out so i guess e more tests i go thro e more i can,t take it. we even had a slight arguement over it . he is trying very hard to convince me that our bb will b ok..........so long both of us is healthy he see no reason to go thro the test.
Hi Pink Kitty, I can understand your worry.

It just like when I know the result for my OSCAR test 3 weeks ago.

I am 29 years old before birthday and my result is 1:76, so that means the risk is high loh!

Without consider so much, hubby and I decide to opp for Amnio test which schedule next Tuesday. Because hubby and I decide to abort if the baby is down symdrome.

Amnio test is consider safe if you done in the early stage of your pregnancy. Don't forget those pregnant women above 35 years old, they are encourage to do the test..

But, the decision is still belong to you! If you willing to keep the baby regardless how is your baby, than just forget about the test.

Good luck to you and me.. :tlaugh:

hi huey chye glad i have somebody who r in e same situation w me n share my worry. by right both o us fall below the age grp of 35 but hw cum our results is as such. did u ask ur gynae y ur reading is @ 1/76? what r ur factors that contribute to this reading?

snowbear

In general, the test is safe. No need to worry about that. Since you're both ok with keeping the baby regardless whether the child has Down's syndrome or not then just forget the test and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. :)

Catty

Hi Pink Kitty,

Not to worried about the down syndrome test as is really quite safe cos i and my hubby both are thelessemia (beta) minor so i've gone through the amino/CVS test, lucky for us tat my 2nd & 3rd baby result came out that they are just a minor carrier.

For thelessemia there's 25% chances of having major carrier, 50% chances of having for having minor carrier and 25% that the bb will not be a thelessemia carrier.

hueychye79

hi huey chye glad i have somebody who r in e same situation w me n share my worry. by right both o us fall below the age grp of 35 but hw cum our results is as such. did u ask ur gynae y ur reading is @ 1/76? what r ur factors that contribute to this reading?
Actually the result for my OSCAR Test is conbined the blood test and the scanning.

The blood test is all right, it just the measurement for the thickness of neck for my baby is not good.

So, the result 1/76 means 76 persons got 1 person may have the down symdrome baby. Actually if you want to assure your baby is ok, I will suggest you go for amnio test.

But as I mention before, the decision is still up to you. :tlaugh:

Just received my gyane assistant call, the date change to next Thursday due to my gynae not free.. :embarrassed:

Need to worry 2 more days.. Haiz.. :err:

erm so far i have only been tested on the triple blood test wor. so i,m nt sure wat is OSCAR n CVS test ???? what are both o these tests abt???? i only know if my blood test buay pass then i have to do e amnio test. and after that is the detailed scanning @ hospital. correct me if i,m wrong??? both hubby n myself decided that we will not opt for the amnio test since the risk of doing the test itself is higher than the risk o a dwn's child logically speaking its nt worth the risk. wait anything happen during the process bleeding blah blah kana infection lagi worse . so........i juz pray hard hard whatever other tests that i may have to undertake the process is safe and the result positive. gd enuff le. kip my finger cross .............

Catty

Erm.. Amino and CVS is the same as it depend on how many weeks you're pregnant.

*Touchwood* If you and your hubby have decided to keep the baby "IF" the baby had down syndrome than is fine that you can skip the test but hope both of you will not regret down the road as not only the both of you got to go through the hardship with the child till the last breathe, the child also got to suffer down the road too.. ~ My 2 cents worth ~

thks all for your support n advices. @ tis pt in time honestly i still cant reach a decision yet. although my 1st gut feeling was strongly agst the amnio test but a part o me is worrying every single day that i,m gona break down soon. i really really tried v hard to tell myself that my bb is ok n all e data are juz figures n reflected so(increased risk) bcse o my some o e test results which is not so favourable dats all n i ,m juz making a big deal out o it. mummy was supportive and tells me that let nature takes it,s course n back in e old daes there was no such test so its all base on god send. if e child is meant to b yours it will b . hubby also says that he accept whatever outcome it mayb. having said that i,m still very much in a confused state. as i said i dun want to opt for the amino test is bcse o e risk o the bb. imagne if e bb is actully alrite /normal but due certain factors after the test miscarriage its even worse knowing that your child is alrite. i really need somebody who has been through my scenario to give me some advice. btw apart from the amnio test will e result from the detailed scanning shed some light on possiblity for d,syndrome as well? i,m nw @ 16 wks so i,l b doing my detailed scanning @ 20wks right? e scanning done @ gyane or hospital ? thks

sufeit0115

thks all for your support n advices. @ tis pt in time honestly i still cant reach a decision yet. although my 1st gut feeling was strongly agst the amnio test but a part o me is worrying every single day that i,m gona break down soon. i really really tried v hard to tell myself that my bb is ok n all e data are juz figures n reflected so(increased risk) bcse o my some o e test results which is not so favourable dats all n i ,m juz making a big deal out o it. mummy was supportive and tells me that let nature takes it,s course n back in e old daes there was no such test so its all base on god send. if e child is meant to b yours it will b . hubby also says that he accept whatever outcome it mayb. having said that i,m still very much in a confused state. as i said i dun want to opt for the amino test is bcse o e risk o the bb. imagne if e bb is actully alrite /normal but due certain factors after the test miscarriage its even worse knowing that your child is alrite. i really need somebody who has been through my scenario to give me some advice. btw apart from the amnio test will e result from the detailed scanning shed some light on possiblity for d,syndrome as well? i,m nw @ 16 wks so i,l b doing my detailed scanning @ 20wks right? e scanning done @ gyane or hospital ? thks
Hi Pink Kitty, i really understand ur dilemma of whether want to go for the amino test, one thing worried it would harm the normal bb, second what if bb is down syndrome, then whether or not to terminate the pregnancy :embarrassed:. This is a truly difficult decision to make. I have not been thru that stage so i cannot advise you anything (Next week i will be going for my blood test to check the risk of down syndrome bb). Even though u are under the higher risk category, but most pregnancy is normal. If you do not wish to terminate your pregnancy, i think you should opt out of the amino test. Also talk to your gynae to seek his/her opinion whether is necessary to go for the test, they should be able to shed some light on the correct path to take.

Meanwhile, don't worry too much & stay positive!! Baby can feel your worried de. I am sure your bb is healthy!! All the best!! :Dancing_wub:

dear sufeit thks for your words o comfort but well i think i wont stop worrying all e way until birth which is in oct. meanwhile i hope that evrything turns out well for you. n do let me know your results god bless.

Catty

Erm.. Think actually now your 1st step worried is about the amino test will lead you to miscarriage if the baby is fine BUT not to worried as i've been through the test twice for my pregnancy at there's lots of mummies out there been through too, just relax and have confidence that your baby will be perfectly fine after the test!

What i'm trying to tell is the more you worried, the more you can't make the decision, there's a lot of mummies here will frequently worried this & that, end up they only found out that all their worried is for nothing..

dear catty thks for ur encouragement. i,m gog for e amnio test tmr le. i really heave a sign of relief as e decision making itself is such a torture for e past 1 wk. well i guess i have sort o self heal hahah. aniway @ e moment i can sort o let dwn my emotion a bit until when its 2 wks later when i get e results my emotion will hit e rollercoaster ride again. guess a mother,s worries for her child starts right @ pregnacy. and i do agree with you totally that sometimes we do worry too much but thats life itself. wish me luck.............

hueychye79

dear catty thks for ur encouragement. i,m gog for e amnio test tmr le. i really heave a sign of relief as e decision making itself is such a torture for e past 1 wk. well i guess i have sort o self heal hahah. aniway @ e moment i can sort o let dwn my emotion a bit until when its 2 wks later when i get e results my emotion will hit e rollercoaster ride again. guess a mother,s worries for her child starts right @ pregnacy. and i do agree with you totally that sometimes we do worry too much but thats life itself. wish me luck.............
Hi Pink Kitty,

I am going for my amnio test this Thurday, so wish you and me good luck. :Dancing_wub:

Which hospital you attend?