Anyone not taking bath and/or not wash hair 1mth after labor?

ebi

Dear all,

I always heard people saying cannot wash hair and taking bath 1mth after delivery the baby. I am not 3mths pregnant, I am just wondering any of you really follow these rules? and what is the effect if not follow..mind to share... as I am kinda worry on these.. as I wonder how not to bath and wash hair for a mth in SG weather.

meiteoh

I'm not following these rules because it's simply unhygienic and dirty. It was the first thing I negotiate with my mum. I must wash or at least be allowed to do a sponge bath and wash my privates (you'll be bleeding heavily in the first few days). The hair, I can tahan for three to four days but mandi, you must allow me to bath.

She mentioned that it's wrong to not bath. You can bath during confinement but cannot use cold water - must be warm-hot water and with herbs like ginger, lemongrass and dunno what else. If sponge bath, can but quickly wipe and get dressed. Hair can wash but same - wash with warm-hot water and blow dry. Cannot air dry.

You can find out more in the confinement subforum - I believe the ladies talk about other confinement practices and such. :)

joeichen

I tahan for 12 days, then bath with ginger water.
Heard fr my MIL tat only give birth to boy then can shower after 12 days.
I still wash my private part every time i pee coz got wound n bleeding so muz wash if not infection.
I know alot of mummies dun follow some even shower 2-3 times a day but i scare so i still follow

BbpHir3

reason of cannot bath etc etc goin thru cfm cuz, it helps to "cleanse" and "recover" our body... for confinement duration some sae 2 weeks can liaoz, some sae 1 month, others sae muz 100days.. for my case, i only sponge myself when in hospital 1 time everyday MIL sae cannot 2 times, but when she not around, i oso got go sponge.. kekeke...(there where got nice nice hot water?!?!?! lol..) den after coming back from hospital, MIL everyday boil water with the herbal pack n ginger/ dried pomelo skin.. den let me wipe myself, "her majesty" (AGAIN!!) sae cannot use soap.. i only started to use soap after bout 1 week.. cuz first week she on leave to do confinement for me.. den after that i boil the water myself n i secretly use the soap.. 1 thing bout using herbal water n soaping, the soap no bubble dee.. lol.. den rinse the soap with the herbal bath.. hair wise, i use the dry powdered shampoo.. juz squeeze the powder betwen the hair n comb out until no powder.. i dun really lyk to wash my hair this way cuz my hair very thick, very easy tangle.. i muz use conditioner (even if it's those apply on ones oso can).. i told MIL that this time i wun cut my hair specially for the confinement.. n i'll use those apply on conditioner.. (highly disapprove by MIL, but my mum side sae can, as long as nv touch the follicles can le.. cuz the "water" go into our body from there mahz..) muz treat my hair better.. else when the hair start dropping, i cannot take it...

heard tat it'll cuz old age problem (rheumatism etc etc) earlier n more pain if nv do confinement.. dunno how true is tat.. muz go ask those more modern "elderlies" liaoz... kekekeke...

austrina

4 my 1st confinement i follow what my mum says & did not wash hair 4 1 month... bt gt use those dry shampoo bought fr pharmacy... bt still my hair itch like hell... bt my 2nd confinement i gt shampoo my hair once every 4 days & blow dry straight away... (coz my mother in law not those pang tang type) if it is a rainy weather then cant wash hair ... scared e "cold wind" go in2 my head... lol

bathin wise my 1st confine onli used e chinese herbs meant 4 confinement 1 2 sponge myself w rice wine addded in2 it... this is 2 remove any "bad wind" datz gg in2 our bodies... my 2nd confinement i sponge myself everyday usin rice wine & ginger w warm hot water & onli bathe once a wk...

bt nwadays alot never follow strict confinement rules like last time ... coz very dirty & unhygenic... imagine you still need 2 breastfeed your baby w/o bathin or spongin your breasts after all those sweatin?

yan2

It depends on you whether you believe aches and pain when old if you never follow.

My husband thinks it is so unhunhygienic and dirty. He asked me to check whether other races old women do have aches and pain due to taking bath and washing hair after labor. Aches and pain are due to old age.

meiteoh

It depends on you whether you believe aches and pain when old if you never follow.

My husband thinks it is so unhunhygienic and dirty. He asked me to check whether other races old women do have aches and pain due to taking bath and washing hair after labor. Aches and pain are due to old age.
I actually agree with your HB and this is because I noticed that over here in Western countries, they don't practice this whole "no bathing thing" and my ILs all have very little aches and pains.

My HB's grandma who was 94 when she passed away this year was fit, walking around without the aid of a cane and was knitting & painting right up until her late 80s. The only reason why she stopped knitting was because she couldn't see the stitches very well. What about those people who have never given birth yet got aches and pains? How do we explain that?

When I tried telling my mum that, she "cheong" me with the whole "wait until you kena when you're old, then you know". :nah:

CanCanMum

Dear all,

I always heard people saying cannot wash hair and taking bath 1mth after delivery the baby. I am not 3mths pregnant, I am just wondering any of you really follow these rules? and what is the effect if not follow..mind to share... as I am kinda worry on these.. as I wonder how not to bath and wash hair for a month in SG weather.
cannot dun bathe laa lols~~~ will rot lols~~~can bathe but must bathe with herbs and hot water (at least 40 degrees) and when u come out mus drink martell or any herbal alcoholic drink to get rid of the "wind" tat goes into your body when u bathe.

i followed the traditional confinement, did ALL wad my mum + mil has 'tortured' me to do. I endured for the whole confinement period with a stinky oily dirty disgusting mop on my head lols~~~ even my hubby kept a safe distance from me whenever we talked. .....jialatz :p

Like I mention before in another thread, how can dont bath?

And for myself i find all the myths all bullshit, sorry to say . Bcoz ppl always say if we shower during confinement, next time joints pain, especially during raining season.

But come to think of it, my grandfather also suffer the same, so dont tell me he give birth before too? And 1 more example, my grand auntie who just passed away have no kids, never ever give birth before also suffer the same thing.

So myth or make belief? Up to you to consider and believe...

My 2 cents worth

ebi

Ok gals... thanks for all the sharing... as a 1st time mum... i am in the middle of whether to follow these rules or not... but i definitely gonna freak out if cannot wash/bath for 1 whole mth... actually i thinking of shaving my hair if my mum really insist me to follow these rules.

ebi

cannot dont bathe laa lols~~~ will rot lols~~~can bathe but must bathe with herbs and hot water (at least 40 degrees) and when you come out mus drink martell or any herbal alcoholic drink to get rid of the "wind" that goes into your body when you bathe.

i followed the traditional confinement, did ALL what my mum + mother in law has 'tortured' me to do. I endured for the whole confinement period with a stinky oily dirty disgusting mop on my head lols~~~ even my hubby kept a safe distance from me whenever we talked. .....jialatz :p
Lol.... you are supper!!! and sound so funny...

CanCanMum

Ok gals... thanks for all the sharing... as a 1st time mum... i am in the middle of whether to follow these rules or not... but i definitely gonna freak out if cannot wash/bath for 1 whole month... actually i thinking of shaving my hair if my mum really insist me to follow these rules.
its quite a good idea to shave worhh

hahahah anyway u will hide inside your house for a month oso horr? :p

CanCanMum

not sure wad its called but if u go to any medical halls the ah cheks should be able to advise u

juz tell them the herbs for bathing during confinement.

chelle

I think the herb can buy from medicine hall.
I heck care, secretly bathe & wash my hair on alternate days. But must blow dry.
Only 1st week, 3 days never bathe and i feel so DIRTY!

The herbs that my hubby buy supposing for bathing, i only use it to wash my feet, then pour away the remaining and happily use normal water to shower!

Oppsgal

Who cares. Just bath warm water and use confinement herbal stuff bath. But use dry shampoo. Because husband is supervising me. :001_302: Say cannot wash hair or use normal soap bath.

shiseru

cannot wash hair and bath 1mth after delivery
Nowai! :/

Smelly and unhygienic and likely to cause disease or infection later. Especially the weather in Singapore and if you BF (ewww). Yeah, at least wash with warm water and herbs during confinement period.

I may give this traditional beliefs the benefits of doubt but I will not let myself go unwash for a month, else over my dea* body. T_T

i did not wash my hair for 1mth (somemore i delivered in May, weather is xtreme hot)! i was amazed how i managed 2 do it...as 4 bathing, everyday i bath...mum boiled ginger water 4 me daily; said 2 clear the wind inside...

Stan

Maybe every few days go to neighbourhood salon wash hair can work?
haha... cos was thinking they will blow DRY DRY(plus nice nice) for me and wont caught a chill unlike we bathe and wash hair at home??

shiseru

Last edited: