Any good Christian Nursery/Childcare in the West

diymummy

I see... :)

Yes, I've heard of MMI. :) Their waiting list is notorious. :p Good that you managed to get your girl in. :)

camom

I see... :)

Yes, I've heard of MMI. :) Their waiting list is notorious. :p Good that you managed to get your girl in. :)
This particular centre is. Bcos the waiting list is so long, I registered my son on sibling's priority list when he was approx 4 mths old.

diymummy

4mths?! Hahaha. My cousin's child is in the Siglap/Katong (can't remember exactly where) centre. That centre's waiting list is equally long.

I'm planning to let my son continue on in Agape till K2... Hope they'll be ok... Haizz...

camom

4mths?! Hahaha. My cousin's child is in the Siglap/Katong (can't remember exactly where) centre. That centre's waiting list is equally long.

I'm planning to let my son continue on in Agape till K2... Hope they'll be ok... Haizz...
kekeke, kiasu right? I also queued for 1.5 years to get my gal into an art class. I think queuing is my favourite pastime rlol, I am still queuing for some classes.

diymummy

Hahahaha! You're patient larr... I doubt I have the patience. :p hahaha.

I think the worst queue is NAFA. My cousin has been queueing for that for like ages. Hmm.. I hope I got thte school right.

JoyBliss

I dont't know of many in the West side but I read from Tamarind (another forumner mummy) that her girl and boy go to PCF kindies at Jurong West and they are both quite good. One is a premium kindy that taught alot and another is a full day kindy.

You can check out her blog for more details. She posted their worksheets and work done too. Tamarind Village
Wow!!! The edu. standard has risen so much! And these are just K1 stuffs?? :eek: *Jaw dropped*

Thanks for the great blogs, stonston. very informative on child education. Really have to step up on academic... This makes finding a good preschool more and more challenging.

JoyBliss

She was in MMI-Pasir Ris. This centre has a long long waiting list.
Thanks Camom, I really envy those staying in the east haha.. numerous popular preschools, schools and food hahaha...

MMI... i thought I saw 1 at CCK?... ayio.. the travelling distance leh... hmm :embarrassed:

JoyBliss

I think the worst queue is NAFA. My cousin has been queueing for that for like ages. Hmm.. I hope I got thte school right.

same here!!.. hate Q-ing... I think I may have to buy some home-teaching stuffs to supplement in case ** :err: really pray hard can get good schools, as I was researching.. some parents start preparing 5 yrs in advance for the P1... moving house, joining alumin/ volunteer etc etc... the more I read, the scarier it becomes... *faint*

diymummy

same here!!.. hate Q-ing... I think I may have to buy some home-teaching stuffs to supplement in case ** :err: really pray hard can get good schools, as I was researching.. some parents start preparing 5 yrs in advance for the P1... moving house, joining alumin/ volunteer etc etc... the more I read, the scarier it becomes... *faint*
Yarr... Sad to say it's like that now... Haizz...

camom

Bingo!!! That was my longest queue to date. Total 2.5 yrs. 1.5 years on waiting list. I wasted 1 whole year cos the waiting list was closed when I 1st enquired.

camom

Thanks Camom, I really envy those staying in the east haha.. numerous popular preschools, schools and food hahaha...

MMI... i thought I saw 1 at chua chu kang?... ayio.. the travelling distance ... hmm :embarrassed:
One word of caution - different MMI, different standards. How gd a school is really depends on the principal and the teachers. My gal was from another MMI but we decided to move her after some incidents.

Parents are also expected to do their part. You know, there was a child in dd's class who never learnt her weekly spelling/tingxie. After getting 3 eggs in a row, the child was sent to the principal's office to learn her tingxie/spelling there in the afternoons.

Last edited:

camom

Ya, bcos the PV hours for some very popular schs is 80 hours, from the usual 40 hours in most schools. The schools want the parents to start 2 years in advance from date of P1 registration. Usual is 1 year in advance only.

Actually no need to buy so much, there are many resources on the internet.

Phoebii Cheng

I think it is sad that our children now at a young age hv to strive to be the best academically.....just my opinion..........

camom

I think it is sad that our children now at a young age have to strive to be the best academically.....just my opinion..........
It's up to you as a parent to decide how much is enough.

Frankly speaking, with so many enrichment centres claiming that their classes enhance this and that and can get As if the child is enrolled in the class, it's very easy to be tempted.

diymummy

I personally feel that for such classes, I'd try to go with the flow and readiness of my son. I think if I do enroll him for enrichments, it would be to get him interested in learning. If he hates it, there's no point forcing him to go for it.

Such enrichments are only a start. I think what matters most is to inculcate a healthy habit and hunger for learning, which I feel you can do at home as well with the right resources as well as toys.

It's sad only when parents send their kids to such classes and their kids are unhappy or bullied or crying throughout the class for months.

I have to agree that with so many courses and classes which promise to release the genius in our kids tempting, I also have to consider if I can afford them and if my son can accept them before enrolling.

The first class that I want to bring my son to is gym class. :) I haven't enrolled for that yet.

stonston

Actually, learning can be made fun, and this depends alot on the scho & parents. My boy is in a very academic kindy for pre-n and he has tests & homework. We made homework & studying fun for him. He likes doing his homework alot. Learning is not a chore but it's fun!

Regarding enrichment classes, I try to sit in to observe or get my hb/maid to do so. I'm very critical of the programs I enrol him in & if it's not good, I will withdraw him immediately. So far he loves his classes alot and learns alot too.

JoyBliss

Ya, bcos the PV hours for some very popular schs is 80 hours, from the usual 40 hours in most schools. The schools want the parents to start 2 years in advance from date of P1 registration. Usual is 1 year in advance only.

Actually no need to buy so much, there are many resources on the internet.

Hi Camom mummy, mind sharing?
Those I found require to buy the software etc...

JoyBliss

hmm... kids are unlike last generation, they know their rights, and caning and forcing against their will don't work anymore. All these enrichments usu. are more lively and fun-filled. I feel they are essential to adequately prepare him for P1 if i can't find a prefect CCC. In a way, to me, it's a form of discipline too so there's minimal "cultural shock" from K2 to P1.

I have heard about kids who struggle and were very demoralised when they can't do what many others can and feeling inferior even... End up, lots of tution classes at P1! :(

Or maybe it's the kiasu syndrome of the parents that raising the bar higher and higher? For me, I'm trying to meet the bar, if not exceeding, at least i fall under the normal swimlane. Hope my son will enjoy his enrichment classees - learning through fun! :)

camom

Last edited:

camom

hmm... kids are unlike last generation, they know their rights, and caning and forcing against their will dont't work anymore. All these enrichments usu. are more lively and fun-filled. I feel they are essential to adequately prepare him for P1 if i can't find a prefect CCC. In a way, to me, it's a form of discipline too so there's minimal "cultural shock" from K2 to P1.

I have heard about kids who struggle and were very demoralised when they can't do what many others can and feeling inferior even... End up, lots of tution classes at P1! :(

Or maybe it's the kiasu syndrome of the parents that raising the bar higher and higher? For me, I'm trying to meet the bar, if not exceeding, at least i fall under the normal swimlane. Hope my son will enjoy his enrichment classees - learning through fun! :)
This one, I feel it's the parents' attitude that rubbed off on the child.

A good preschool is very impt. But what's suitable for 1 person might not suit the other. So better to do your own research by asking ard, then shortlisting and actually visiting and clariying with the principal. The CCC my gal was in has a 2 weeks paid trial for their transfer students. The transfer student will receive intensive 1 to 1 coaching just to make sure that he/she is on par with the rest of the class (if standards differ in the 1st place). This 2 wks trial also give both sides a chance to evaluate if the child is comfortable to continue on.

Like said earlier, there are many many enrichment classes out there. You need to filter them yourselve and decide what your child really needs. Enrichment classes are really not cheap.